Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 11, 2016 19:51

And Start Me Up and Come Together ? drinking smiley
DandelionPowderman

Would be great to hear Ronnie at this level... live on stage...

Check out Ride 'Em On Down from Desert Trip.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: December 11, 2016 19:53

powerage78

His playing on Ride 'Em On Down live is just as good as on the album.

That was what you asked for, remember? smoking smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 11, 2016 19:54

Interesting to hear the thoughts of 'The Fifth Rolling Stone', Chuck Leavell:

[www.youtube.com]

Olly.

Date: December 11, 2016 20:34

Yes, you right.
We have not to be too demanding with Ronnie..

DandelionPowderman

His playing on Ride 'Em On Down live is just as good as on the album.

That was what you asked for, remember? smoking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 11, 2016 21:13

Ride 'em on Down (Vegas)

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 11, 2016 21:21

LeonidP

I qouted myself for Leonid

that wasn't my point ... it was that you haven't given the new ones a try yet. I'm not saying it has to be for everyone but there's no way the covers of the first album blow these away in any regard, including (and especially) vocals.

And, since you're quoting yourself, I will do the same ...

have you even listened to the new one more than twice? I know you'll say you did, but you didn't

OK sorry i misunderstood Well i think their coves frön 1964/65 were better (the blues covers, king bee, rooster, satisfied, little etc). To me it is probably because of Brian and the way Mick sang on those. Then again he sang satisfied great in that rehearsal video: [g.co]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 11, 2016 21:22

Idorh
In my 36 years of marriage, this is the first record of the Stones she appreciates.
I do not need to put on headphones hahaha. But it's a great album, Charlie is also great, Charlie is the heart of the band. It would be nice if the stones regularly would record a blues number in the future.
Gr Bert.

Haha. I have also been married for 36 years but I doubt even this album will drag her away from Sir Cliff Richard and Sir Elton John.

No accounting for taste.

Date: December 11, 2016 21:36

MisterDDDD
Ride 'em on Down (Vegas)

[youtu.be]

thumbs up

Date: December 11, 2016 23:05

[youtu.be]

Date: December 11, 2016 23:31

powerage78
[youtu.be]

thumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 12, 2016 00:04

DandelionPowderman

[youtu.be]

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

The original solo was lousy also. Ronnie is paying respect! HAHAHAHA!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 12, 2016 00:11

DandelionPowderman

Ride 'em on Down (Vegas)

[youtu.be]

thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 12, 2016 00:22

jlowe

In my 36 years of marriage, this is the first record of the Stones she appreciates.
I do not need to put on headphones hahaha. But it's a great album, Charlie is also great, Charlie is the heart of the band. It would be nice if the stones regularly would record a blues number in the future.
Gr Bert.

Haha. I have also been married for 36 years but I doubt even this album will drag her away from Sir Cliff Richard and Sir Elton John.

No accounting for taste.

Hahaha. But can she cook well.
GrBert.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 12, 2016 01:11

Those new blues covers were great to see and hear live (better than the studio album versions imo), although Ride em on Down in Vegas was seemingly not as well received by a majority - at least from my perspective.
It was pretty much a warhorse loving audience who paid big bucks to hear the warhorses for the most part. As for myself - as brief of a show as it was with Mick still being sick, Ride em on Down and Midnight Rambler were the ultimate highlights. Hopefully the Desert Trip and Vegas shows will not be the last time the Stones unleash the new blues covers!

As for their cover of Come Together - please never again. thumbs up

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 12, 2016 01:30

I think they did a good job on Just Your Fool on that first Friday night. I thought most of the set not too very engaging honestly but I go back to that one and always like it. Also I only just heard the album in full last night, and ended up letting t go a few times through and enjoyed it. Not especially the more 'caricatured' almost unconcious parody, in a couple of them...he sings great; doesn't need it. He PROVES he sings great all over the record. Just take it easy don't force it Mick; you shine. Trust the natural talent so many of us are responding to...
I need some more time w it but i want to spend some more time with it, ! which is a win right there.
I'd heard the 3 singles obviously...but didn't really know what to expect w the actual album in hand. So far this early in my own little opinion, amidst some other observations, is that there are at least two, maybe 3 of these things that are really very precious and could be heard along side of some of their best tracks and stand up great for themselves. I don't know how many 'star's i'd give it...it doesn't matter tho. I'll have some criticism when I am more familiar with the whole thing as a piece...u know...like the bass element needs to be more integrated creatively bla bla...turn up Charlie and hide the chinese cymbal...haha the usual...
What does work is substantial to me thumbs up

i'm listen to 'everybody knows...' over and over again. there's a lot of excellent stuff here. ;-) smileys with beer

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 02:03 by hopkins.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 12, 2016 04:09

LeonidP

I qouted myself for Leonid

that wasn't my point ... it was that you haven't given the new ones a try yet. I'm not saying it has to be for everyone but there's no way the covers of the first album blow these away in any regard, including (and especially) vocals.

And, since you're quoting yourself, I will do the same ...

have you even listened to the new one more than twice? I know you'll say you did, but you didn't

Redhotcarpet

OK sorry i misunderstood Well i think their coves frön 1964/65 were better (the blues covers, king bee, rooster, satisfied, little etc). To me it is probably because of Brian and the way Mick sang on those. Then again he sang satisfied great in that rehearsal [g.co]

okay but again, you're not really saying anything specific about what you don't like on the new album, again, generic statements "to me the older stuff was better" ... so did you listen, at least 3 times? What song do they play poorly? What mix don't you like? What song is Jagger's singing off? Where is Ronnie screwing up the guitar licks?

I can tell you (and have many times) exactly why I don't like Dirty Work, for example...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 04:36

LeonidP

you're not really saying anything specific about what you don't like on the new album, again, generic statements "to me the older stuff was better" ... so did you listen, at least 3 times? What song do they play poorly? What mix don't you like? What song is Jagger's singing off? Where is Ronnie screwing up the guitar licks?

I can tell you (and have many times) exactly why I don't like Dirty Work, for example...[/quote

..it could be said ALL or a vast majority of music is "played fine and without mistakes". Most, after all, is sanitised and "machined" to death, including vocals. Being note perfect doesn't make it good to all persons tastes. Taste is personal. If someone doesn't like, someone doesn't like it; being perfectly played and produced has nothing to do with it.

Rod

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 04:37 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 05:04

drinking smiley

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 12, 2016 05:30

MonkeyMan2000
Sorry if already posted, haven't seen them here before:

Interview with Keith:
[www.youtube.com]

Interview with Ronnie:
[www.youtube.com]

Great interviews! I believe the boys did these in the States in Boston back in October.

Date: December 12, 2016 06:26

bitusa2012
Taste is personal. If someone doesn't like, someone doesn't like it;

thumbs up

Indeed, and I don't understand why someone who says they didn't like it should be interrogated by someone else. It seems the 'interrogator' has taken personal offense as if someone is criticizing a family member of theirs.
It's a rock and roll/blues covers album for crying out loud, not their mother! Rather than making it a personal assault, perhaps that person should list all the reasons why they love it, and if they can't understand or don't like an opinion that differs from their own (or the method one used to form an opinion),then too bad. Get over it and move on. Not everyone thinks the same, nor should anyone be held at the stake and forced to explain their reasoning. If someone doesn't like it, someone doesn't like it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 12, 2016 07:05

Hairball

thumbs up

Indeed, and I don't understand why someone who says they didn't like it should be interrogated by someone else. It seems the 'interrogator' has taken personal offense as if someone is criticizing a family member of theirs.
It's a rock and roll/blues covers album for crying out loud, not their mother! Rather than making it a personal assault, perhaps that person should list all the reasons why they love it, and if they can't understand or don't like an opinion that differs from their own (or the method one used to form an opinion),then too bad. Get over it and move on. Not everyone thinks the same, nor should anyone be held at the stake and forced to explain their reasoning. If someone doesn't like it, someone doesn't like it.

Yes I'm a little curious about that too. I love the band tremendously and one of my all time fave review is Bukowski at L.A. '75 hired by Creem Magazine I think...it's brilliant and totally offbeat and oddball. Half the story is about him getting drunk with a girl and they almost didn't even bother to get to the show...haha. when he does get there, it's this guy from another generation with another whole sensibility and field of experience with music and it's just hyterical when he describes what's going on his row and etc...and how mick to him looks like a guy in his pajamas with shoe laces tied around his ankles etc...which is true haha...and how Bill's the only professional haw haw i mean...wow, here if you're not part of the promotion team you're in some kind trouble with other perfectly wonderful passionate rock fans so...i dunno....i love HMS' posts...

it's thru criticism of different ideas and approaches that teaches me a lot, and helps to musics i would have missed. or just provides some laughs or perspective if someone really hates a track I love. I mean I like Between The Buttons so I can't get too sensitive around here haha...but i like friendly back and forth too, like if someone asked me a specific question i'd try to get out of my box and see if i could express feelings about some detail that some other fan doesn't even factor in or care about...it don't mean i'm a party pooper. It just means i listen a lot and care like everyone else here....i mean...let it loose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 07:16 by hopkins.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: December 12, 2016 08:13

These Blues covers are more suited to be played in smaller venues where you will get a better sound acoustics wise. Too much echo in places 10K and up. The room is everything.

Date: December 12, 2016 08:36

hopkins

thumbs up

Yes I'm a little curious about that too. I love the band tremendously and one of my all time fave review is Bukowski at L.A. '75 hired by Creem Magazine I think...it's brilliant and totally offbeat and oddball. Half the story is about him getting drunk with a girl and they almost didn't even bother to get to the show...haha. when he does get there, it's this guy from another generation with another whole sensibility and field of experience with music and it's just hyterical when he describes what's going on his row and etc...and how mick to him looks like a guy in his pajamas with shoe laces tied around his ankles etc...which is true haha...and how Bill's the only professional haw haw i mean...wow, here if you're not part of the promotion team you're in some kind trouble with other perfectly wonderful passionate rock fans so...i dunno....i love HMS' posts...

it's thru criticism of different ideas and approaches that teaches me a lot, and helps to musics i would have missed. or just provides some laughs or perspective if someone really hates a track I love. I mean I like Between The Buttons so I can't get too sensitive around here haha...but i like friendly back and forth too, like if someone asked me a specific question i'd try to get out of my box and see if i could express feelings about some detail that some other fan doesn't even factor in or care about...it don't mean i'm a party pooper. It just means i listen a lot and care like everyone else here....i mean...let it loose.

I think it's those different ideas Leonid is seeking in Redhotcarpet's criticism.

The whys and hows aren't really clarified - at least not enough to say "geeze, what a boring album". No highlight or let-down are presented. There is simply no review or thoughts.

When that comes, we'll know WHY he finds the album boring, and that's where acquired taste comes into the picture, imo.

This is serious business - a new Stones album. It should take more than two spins, imo smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 08:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 12, 2016 09:16

Well yeah Dandelion, it's a new Stones album albeit a new album of covers.
It just seems time might be better spent by those who love it so much to discuss the reasons why they love it, rather than trying to dissect someone's thoughts for thinking otherwise.
But maybe there's not much left to talk about with this new album (being that it's all covers), so attention is directed at someone with a differing/negative opinion of it?
Have they become the target of derision simply because they don't fall in line with those who seem to love it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 09:20 by Hairball.

Date: December 12, 2016 09:55

Hairball
It just seems time might be better spent by those who love it so much to discuss the reasons why they love it, rather than trying to dissect someone's thoughts for thinking otherwise.
But maybe there's not much left to talk about with this new album (being that it's all covers), so attention is directed at someone with a differing/negative opinion of it?
Have they become the target of derision simply because they don't fall in line with those who seem to love it?

It is an album of new recordings from the Stones. Some like it, others don't - that's how it should be, and that's how its doomed to be. I get that smiling smiley

However, we were discussing why we liked it so much. I can't remember a more positive bunch of posters. Many who had given up on the band, now praises this album (including a few who haven't come out of the closet as yet - who have shown their enthusiasm to me personally).

When someone says it's crap, that's okay, of course. Twice? That's okay, too. Three times? No problem. Four times? Perhaps one might wanna give a review, say what's wrong with some of the tracks etc.?

I don't know. Everybody's got a right to speak his/her mind. But it's no crime asking for that opinion, either smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 10:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 12, 2016 10:13

I have not heard the album yet,I live on the mainland China and it has not made it to China yet.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 12, 2016 10:26

DandelionPowderman

It is an album of new recordings from the Stones. Some like it, others don't - that's how it should be, and that's how its doomed to be. I get that smiling smiley

However, we were discussing why we liked it so much. I can't remember a more positive bunch of posters. Many who had given up on the band, now praises this album (including a few who haven't come out of the closet as yet - who have shown their enthusiasm to me personally).

When someone says it's crap, that's pkay, of course. Twice? That's okay, too. Three times? No problem. Four times? Perhaps one might wanna give a review, say what's wrong with some of the tracks etc.?

I don't know. Everybody's got a right to speak his/her mind. But it's no crime asking for that opinion, either smiling smiley

Well said, DP. I gotta admit, I approached this new album with a somewhat jaded attitude. (And I have been a staunch Stones defender since about 1965!) What can I say after hearing it? Mind blown. This album proves the Stones can still play and record vital, compelling music. This brightens my hopes for any possible new album of originals that may yet come out. If they can translate this kind of passion into their own compositions, we may be in for a late-era miracle! I hope so...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 12, 2016 10:37

HonkeyTonkFlash

When someone says it's crap, that's pkay, of course. Twice? That's okay, too. Three times? No problem. Four times? Perhaps one might wanna give a review, say what's wrong with some of the tracks etc.?

Well said, DP. I gotta admit, I approached this new album with a somewhat jaded attitude. (And I have been a staunch Stones defender since about 1965!) What can I say after hearing it? Mind blown. This album proves the Stones can still play and record vital, compelling music. This brightens my hopes for any possible new album of originals that may yet come out. If they can translate this kind of passion into their own compositions, we may be in for a late-era miracle! I hope so...

Just hoping and praying...smileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 12, 2016 11:51

DandelionPowderman

When someone says it's crap, that's okay, of course. Twice? That's okay, too. Three times? No problem. Four times? Perhaps one might wanna give a review, say what's wrong with some of the tracks etc.?

Well, I have only heard the 3 singles and only once the entire album on Spotify. I really like Hate To See You Go. The thing most people will agree about is that they play really well, they know how to play the blues, it's a job well done. And most will agree that Mick Jagger is an outstanding harmonica player and sings really well on this album (or at least on the songs I have heard so far). And I am sure there's no other rock n roll band nowadays who could this better than the Rolling Stones.
However... From what I have seen, the problem for most people who are not so enthusiastic about the album - like me - is not the quality of their playing. The problem is that it's an album of covers, and that - moreover - they don't add anything "from themselves" to those covers (as opposed to what they did with Love In Vain, Stop Breaking Down, or even Little Red Rooster, Gotta Move or Wanna Make Love To You), and in various cases the originals are at least as good.
That said (and I have tried keeping my posts about this to the minimum), I am sure I will buy the album and enjoy it. But this is the Stones! Once, I was still hoping for more than just "good". And once, long ago, they used to be able to make their own brand of blues+soul+rocknroll+country+magic. This album for me sort of confirms that that era is long gone. Keith's solo album of last year still had a lot of that magic, and, so, for me was much more of a thrill than this blues album.
Still, I'm glad that the album works so well. It's been thirty years since the band has sounded even remotely as good (apart from a few good songs here and there).

Date: December 12, 2016 11:58

matxil

Well, I have only heard the 3 singles and only once the entire album on Spotify. I really like Hate To See You Go. The thing most people will agree about is that they play really well, they know how to play the blues, it's a job well done. And most will agree that Mick Jagger is an outstanding harmonica player and sings really well on this album (or at least on the songs I have heard so far). And I am sure there's no other rock n roll band nowadays who could this better than the Rolling Stones.
However... From what I have seen, the problem for most people who are not so enthusiastic about the album - like me - is not the quality of their playing. The problem is that it's an album of covers, and that - moreover - they don't add anything "from themselves" to those covers (as opposed to what they did with Love In Vain, Stop Breaking Down, or even Little Red Rooster, Gotta Move or Wanna Make Love To You), and in various cases the originals are at least as good.
That said (and I have tried keeping my posts about this to the minimum), I am sure I will buy the album and enjoy it. But this is the Stones! Once, I was still hoping for more than just "good". And once, long ago, they used to be able to make their own brand of blues+soul+rocknroll+country+magic. This album for me sort of confirms that that era is long gone. Keith's solo album of last year still had a lot of that magic, and, so, for me was much more of a thrill than this blues album.
Still, I'm glad that the album works so well. It's been thirty years since the band has sounded even remotely as good (apart from a few good songs here and there).

And this is exactly what I'm hoping for in a discussion about an album: To bother to tell WHY.

I don't agree with everything, though. Mainly because I don't have any problems with them doing covers. I have no problems with their first albums, which consisted mainly of covers - they are excellent.

I don't think You Gotta Move, Stop Breakin' Down or others were that different from the versions the Stones had listened to, either.

Nor do I think Little Rain and many of the other songs on BAL sound like they are reproducing the originals. The Stones have a unique sound, and that sound will always sound like them.

However, I appreciate criticism with some thought and analysis.

Different strokes for different folks smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-12 11:59 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1920
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home