Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 117
Re: Clapton's contribution to Blue And Lonesome
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 5, 2016 06:26

paulywaul
When I first listened to it, without the benefit of reading the credits and taking note of who played what ... I was convinced that Clapton was on the track Blue And Lonesome. Only when I actually read the credits did I notice that he actually only plays on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing and I Can't Quit You Baby, which I guess means that the lead work on Blue and Lonesome must be Ronnie ? Extraordinary ... to my ears that sounded like Clapton. Never realised Ronnie could play/sound like that.

That is so funny. I also have no paper credits (only the download/ tomorrow box set here)
I thought the exact same thing! Ha Ha, I said to myself tonight:
oh yeah, right here at the end of B & L tune,
Clapton's signature guitar 'riff'
!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 5, 2016 06:33

35love
paulywaul
When I first listened to it, without the benefit of reading the credits and taking note of who played what ... I was convinced that Clapton was on the track Blue And Lonesome. Only when I actually read the credits did I notice that he actually only plays on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing and I Can't Quit You Baby, which I guess means that the lead work on Blue and Lonesome must be Ronnie ? Extraordinary ... to my ears that sounded like Clapton. Never realised Ronnie could play/sound like that.

That is so funny. I also have no paper credits (only the download/ tomorrow box set here)
I thought the exact same thing! Ha Ha, I said to myself tonight:
oh yeah, right here at the end of B & L tune,
Clapton's signature guitar 'riff'
!

You can read the credits here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: December 5, 2016 07:15

'Stuck inside of Milwaukee with Lonesome Blues Again'

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2016 07:44

How odd. Ronnie, who wasn't there for their blues drenched first album, is the one to make the major contribution in the Stonesiest manner. And I don't think Jagger played much harp on the first album, either.

Date: December 5, 2016 08:44

strat72
Blue and Lonesome is very much typical Ronnie on Slide. As much as Clapton is typical Clapton on ENAMGTN & ICQUB.

Ronnie doesn't play slide, though. Only on EKAMGT, where we only hear him vaguely.

Date: December 5, 2016 08:47

Hairball
Clapton is indeed clearly evident on I Can't Quit You Baby, although it's not one of his best solo's by a long shot imo.
I love him, but not sure if he added much to the sessions. Perhaps the neurological issue he's talked about is truly effecting his playing.

Ronnie's playing throughout the album is surprisingly a notch above what I expected - glad he was given the opportunity to shine. thumbs up

Clapton's slide guitar on EKAMGT is really nice, imo.

Date: December 5, 2016 08:49

24FPS
How odd. Ronnie, who wasn't there for their blues drenched first album, is the one to make the major contribution in the Stonesiest manner. And I don't think Jagger played much harp on the first album, either.

Remember the words "my turn" on Little By Little, and what follows that? smiling smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 5, 2016 10:14

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
Clapton is indeed clearly evident on I Can't Quit You Baby, although it's not one of his best solo's by a long shot imo.
I love him, but not sure if he added much to the sessions. Perhaps the neurological issue he's talked about is truly effecting his playing.

Ronnie's playing throughout the album is surprisingly a notch above what I expected - glad he was given the opportunity to shine. thumbs up

Yes, in my opinion too.

I just cannot stop playing this album, haven't listened to ANYTHING else for three entire days straight now !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 5, 2016 10:19

paulywaul
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Yes, in my opinion too.

I just cannot stop playing this album, haven't listened to ANYTHING else for three entire days straight now !

Same here smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: December 5, 2016 11:05

Hairball

My feelings too - his playing on I Can't Quit You Baby is pretty shaky, by his standards anyway. It sounds hesitant and clipped. Perhaps he was just trying to rein it in because that's what you do when guesting on someone else's album, but it doesn't come across that way. He's much better on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing. He seems to have been getting back into playing slide guitar recently (see his last solo album for details).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 5, 2016 13:31

DandelionPowderman
paulywaul
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Yes, in my opinion too.

thumbs up

Ronnie certainly shines on the album...and as others have hinted...he has I think nicked one or two licks from Eric in the process of tailoring his playing to this straight Blues format.

Date: December 5, 2016 15:20

Spud
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Yes, in my opinion too.

thumbs up

Ronnie certainly shines on the album...and as others have hinted...he has I think nicked one or two licks from Eric in the process of tailoring his playing to this straight Blues format.

I prefer Ronnie's solo to Clapton's on I Can't Quit You Baby.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 5, 2016 15:45

Clapton and the 'Stones, 1975. I'd never heard of this :

[www.bigozine2.com]

Date: December 5, 2016 15:55

rbk
Clapton and the 'Stones, 1975. I'd never heard of this :

[www.bigozine2.com]

Who said that the Stones play here? Doesn't sound nothing like them.

But Mick is definitely there.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 5, 2016 16:07

According to Nico Zentgraf:

750625B 25th and 30th June: ERIC CLAPTON. New York, Electric Lady Studios.
Producer and sound engineer: unidentified. Incl.
- Carnival To Rio (Eric Clapton)
Line-up: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/Eric Clapton (gtr)/George
Terry (gtr)/Billy Preston (keyb)/Dick Sims (keyb)/Carl Radle (bass)/Jamie
Oldaker (dr)/Ollie E. Brown (perc)/Yvonne Elliman and Marcy Levy (bvoc)
Note: Allegedly 10 takes have been recorded. Seven on the 25th and three
more on June, the 30th. Clapton later released this song under the
title Carnival on his No Reason To Cry-album (see 760307A) but
used a Stones-less re-recording.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: December 5, 2016 16:13

marcovandereijk
According to Nico Zentgraf:

750625B 25th and 30th June: ERIC CLAPTON. New York, Electric Lady Studios.
Producer and sound engineer: unidentified. Incl.
- Carnival To Rio (Eric Clapton)
Line-up: MJ (voc)/KR (gtr)/RW (gtr)/BW (bass)/CW (dr)/Eric Clapton (gtr)/George
Terry (gtr)/Billy Preston (keyb)/Dick Sims (keyb)/Carl Radle (bass)/Jamie
Oldaker (dr)/Ollie E. Brown (perc)/Yvonne Elliman and Marcy Levy (bvoc)
Note: Allegedly 10 takes have been recorded. Seven on the 25th and three
more on June, the 30th. Clapton later released this song under the
title Carnival on his No Reason To Cry-album (see 760307A) but
used a Stones-less re-recording.

Interesting, thanks for posting. But I can't hear other musicians than Clapton's band.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 6, 2016 14:44

One of two things came into my thoughts, first one was he was trying to tone it down because he is a guest or two was it the neurological issue in his hands ?

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 6, 2016 18:20

Clapton's contributions are fairly short. He wasn't there for the pre-production and just added a solo on these two songs, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong. Most of what people think is Clapton, is in actual fact, Ron.

Date: December 6, 2016 18:22

mpj200
Clapton's contributions are fairly short. He wasn't there for the pre-production and just added a solo on these two songs, if I remember correctly. I could be wrong. Most of what people think is Clapton, is in actual fact, Ron.

No. We knew before the album came out that he would be playing on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing and I Can't Quit You Baby smiling smiley

They have very different styles. However, Ronnie does a very good job on this album thumbs up

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 6, 2016 18:41

EC's contributions are as plain as the nose on your face.

He didn't come in to provide any guitar pyrotechnics...just to join in the fun on a couple of numbers.

Date: December 6, 2016 22:49

DandelionPowderman
mpj200

No. We knew before the album came out that he would be playing on Everybody Knows About My Good Thing and I Can't Quit You Baby smiling smiley

They have very different styles. However, Ronnie does a very good job on this album thumbs up

I knew which tracks Eric was on last December. And that has nothing to do with my point.

Date: December 7, 2016 00:06

mpj200
DandelionPowderman
mpj200

I knew which tracks Eric was on last December. And that has nothing to do with my point.

You really believe that most people on here can't hear the difference? Because that's what you wrote smiling smiley

Date: December 7, 2016 01:10

Yes. Why else would I write it? More so on the main thread than here. Ronnie's tracks were not removed. He did not overdub his parts.

Eric's not on the title track. I could go on. But I won't.

Date: December 7, 2016 01:17

mpj200
Yes. Why else would I write it? More so on the main thread than here. Ronnie's tracks were not removed. He did not overdub his parts.

1. Most on here can spot the difference between Ronnie and Eric in an instant.
2. After "I was talking to my neighbour" in Everybody Knows About My Good Thing Ronnie has TWO guitar tracks going (center left and center right - Clapton is left and Keith is right), hence he overdubbed his solo and rhythm part from there.
3. There seem to be more than two guitars on Commit A Crime as well.
4. You should give IORRians more credit that this smiling smiley

Date: December 7, 2016 01:27

Dandy you hearing Eric on the left? Isn't Ronnie on the left with the slide, and Clapton more towards the center, with Keith on right?

I take it back. Yes Clapton is there on the left. He's doing what he did on "Guitar gently weeps: I heard his track soloed out once, and he is just very laid back and polite -on someone else's track - chicken scratching, until it's time to blow.
With this being a purist album, and Clapton already there, and Ron already positioned in the middle on lead slide - why would he o/d another guitar?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-07 01:32 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: December 7, 2016 01:38

DandelionPowderman
mpj200

1. Most on here can spot the difference between Ronnie and Eric in an instant.
2. After "I was talking to my neighbour" in Everybody Knows About My Good Thing Ronnie has TWO guitar tracks going (center left and center right - Clapton is left and Keith is right), hence he overdubbed his solo and rhythm part from there.
3. There seem to be more than two guitars on Commit A Crime as well.
4. You should give IORRians more credit that this smiling smiley

You are using your ears in a different way than me matesmiling smiley That's what makes it magic. You can believe whatever you feel you hear. I thinks it's brilliant you are taking the time to dive into it like this.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: December 7, 2016 01:41

There is definitely a bit of Ronnie's slide guitar left in the centre left and then Ronnie comes in from the right for the solo without a slide. Mr. Powderman is on to something here.

Date: December 7, 2016 03:26

MonkeyMan2000
There is definitely a bit of Ronnie's slide guitar left in the centre left and then Ronnie comes in from the right for the solo without a slide. Mr. Powderman is on to something here.

I'm curious, do these parts overlap each other?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 7, 2016 04:10

Speaking of Clapton...
Some seriously great intertwining, intermingling, dueling guitars (or what some might call 'weaving') throughout this classic between Clapton and Duane Allman - ultimate tour de force.

Derek and the Dominos - Why Does Love Got to be So Sad

Date: December 7, 2016 08:38

Palace Revolution 2000
Dandy you hearing Eric on the left? Isn't Ronnie on the left with the slide, and Clapton more towards the center, with Keith on right?

I take it back. Yes Clapton is there on the left. He's doing what he did on "Guitar gently weeps: I heard his track soloed out once, and he is just very laid back and polite -on someone else's track - chicken scratching, until it's time to blow.
With this being a purist album, and Clapton already there, and Ron already positioned in the middle on lead slide - why would he o/d another guitar?

When he plays the good stuff he is center. Then, he is panned left (even before he finishes his intro solo).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home