Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 9, 2016 20:01

Redhotcarpet

OK so that's a blues purist's opinion.

But this is The Rolling Stones...
singing THE BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUES
at their best, baby !

I disagree - they have done a lot better. Listen to the band at their bluesiest in the early 60s, late 60s, early to mid 70s. When I heard their debut album i couldnt connect those little pics on the back sleeve to the music and the vocals. I knew they had to have another singer. This is Peter Pan pretending to sing the blues. I enjoy some of the music but thats about it.

You mean like Venitlator Blues, Love in Vain, Prodigal Son, just to name three from late 60s early 70s. You think in the long run you will listen to blues like those over the new stuff?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 9, 2016 20:10

Rambler, the way he sang YCAGWYW or JSP. PW, GS is pretty bluesy singing, IJWSHF, VB, SYH. Yes, I prefer that. He WAS a truly great interpreter of blues, gospel, soul, R&B and rock n roll.

Date: December 9, 2016 20:42

Redhotcarpet
Rambler, the way he sang YCAGWYW or JSP. PW, GS is pretty bluesy singing, IJWSHF, VB, SYH. Yes, I prefer that. He WAS a truly great interpreter of blues, gospel, soul, R&B and rock n roll.

Not a lot of blues songs on your list, though. This was supposed to be an authentic-sounding blues album. The comparison is unfair, imo.

There is singing similiar to that on Parachute Woman on this album.

Date: December 9, 2016 20:46

DandelionPowderman

Not a lot of blues songs on your list, though. This was supposed to be an authentic-sounding blues album. The comparison is unfair, imo.

I probably meant generally about his voice and the way he moves the listener on that stuff.

Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 21:02

There is some promo stuff for Blue & Lonesome around. I just got these...

Anyone got more different stuff?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 9, 2016 21:07

henrik87
There is some promo stuff for Blue & Lonesome around. I just got these...

[i66.tinypic.com]

Anyone got more different stuff?

I want this marketing strategy for next album too!

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: December 9, 2016 21:08

+ 1 thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 9, 2016 23:20

i love this record, cant stop spinning smileys with beer

a l l o f y o u r lo v e

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 9, 2016 23:31

Redhotcarpet

I probably meant generally about his voice and the way he moves the listener on that stuff.

have you even listened to the new one more than twice? I know you'll say you did, but you didn't

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 9, 2016 23:49

MartinB

I gave it my first spin last night and doing the reruns now. For the Stones I think it is a great effort. The music sounds phenomenal! But unfortunately, the singing is bad. Mick's voice comes off too upbeat, high pitched and nasal for the raspy blues that listeners have come to expect this stage. He sounds too English on this. I know he has struggled with pitch the last couple decades and it is blatantly obvious on this record that there is a clear delineation between the music and the singing.

Though the effort is valiant, and his harp work is spot on, his singing is fighting to coexist with some really tight guitar work. I know this is hard to say, but his singing lacks grit. Just listening to way he sings the word "baby" is grimacing, and the album is full of the use of the word "baby" which is a common blues chant. But that's my opinion. It is certainly a great listen and huge accomplishment for the Stones, though one has to wonder why they can't cover their own covers of early blues stuff live. Wouldn't that be cool.

Somewhat agree about Mick's vocals and 'lack of grit' throughout the album. But one of the problems I have with it is an overall lack of sincerity which is most evident on I Can't Quit You Baby where he sounds a bit too forced, contrived, and over-enthusiastic. With that said, given the circumstances of 'one or two takes' and 'no ovedubs', I'd say he stepped up to the plate as best as he could. The ace in the hole and the ultimate highlight for me on this album is Mick's harmonica playing. Would have loved to hear some jamming extended instrumentals with the harp blazing the trails. Which has me wondering why there was no B-side on the Ride 'em On Down single...maybe there's nothing left to be released from these sessions?

I agree on "I Can't Quit You Baby." I think he is trying too hard to fit into the music. Everyone is cohesive and tight, except for those vocals. It feels like he is singing over the top of the music. Just listen to those awkward wails on "All Of Your Love" and you can start to see my point. Again the way he sings the lyric "baby" throughout the album is just plain bad in itself. But his harp work on this song is fantastic. I would have loved to hear this song without any singing. Just an instrumental version with harp. And what is with that slight echo the engineers put in? "I Gotta Go" is full of it. I still really like the album but I would have never sent it out with vocals sounding disruptive like that.

thumbs up spot on the both of youse.

I am glad that somebody else feels that the vocals is the weak point of the otherwise very strong record. I don't think Mick is a blues singer; his singing does not have the balls of the great masters.

Another observation is that Keith functions almost as a part of the rhythm section. This, I think, gives the record the very raw and compact sound.

Different strokes I guess. I Can't Quit You is not my favorite either but overall, I think Mick sounds fabulous on both vocals and harmonica. I'm just loving it!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 10, 2016 00:56

I'm onto listen No 5. I still haven't skipped a track, as I find it a deeply satisfying album.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 10, 2016 01:13

[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 05:11

Redhotcarpet

Hard to believe some of the comments here. You do realize that the band is in their 70's now, right? Do you really expect them to capture what they did in the 70's?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 10, 2016 05:30

thumbs up
Deltics
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 10, 2016 09:59

maumau
i love this record, cant stop spinning smileys with beer

a l l o f y o u r lo v e

Still my favorite too but "I gotta go" is growing on me!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 11:21

Stu would have been perfect on this album.
On a more piano song.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 10, 2016 11:44

powerage78
Stu would have been perfect on this album.
On a more piano song.

thumbs up

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: December 10, 2016 11:59

I have been listening to this album twice, and apart fro "Hate to see you go" (the one they promote on tv) the album sounds too rusty for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 15:39 by DonParker.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 10, 2016 12:02

Been listening to more Chicago blues than usual since the album was released and I noticed that the Stones version of Stop Breaking Down greatly resembles the one cut by the original Sonny Boy Williamson with Big Maceo and Tampa Red on piano and guitar in '44 or '45. It stays close to Robert Johnson's lyric but the sound and attitude are closer to Chicago style and of course, features the harmonica that was the trademark of both Sonny Boy and the man who later took his name.

Date: December 10, 2016 12:05

mpj200

Hard to believe some of the comments here. You do realize that the band is in their 70's now, right? Do you really expect them to capture what they did in the 70's?

If im to believe the reviews in this thread they just did.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 10, 2016 12:07

Sorry, but I just don´t get the arguments of those
who don´t like the album. "Too rusty", "weak vocals",
"lack of grit" ...

I feel sorry for them - they just can´t cherish what
the band offers us in 2016 - after 54 years in business.
I´m glad they are alive and well and giving me some MUSIC.

Meanwhile:

Date: December 10, 2016 12:09

Imo this is a step in the right direction. And i hope they spend some time together in a studio and record and pretend it's 1971. See what happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-10 12:11 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: December 10, 2016 12:13

TooTough
"lack of grit" ...

Meanwhile:

[fs5.directupload.net]

I dont dislike the album and im glad they record and released something. But one must be critical!

Posted by: terry ()
Date: December 10, 2016 13:37

I can honestly say I had no interest in this blues album, as I was just looking foreword to an album of new materiel.
My daughter ordered it off amazon, and gave me it as an early Christmas present.
And I thought I give it a spin,and wow...... Jesus Christ and Mary wept, I can't stop playing the dam thing.
There's nothing that I don't like about it, I love every moment of this album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2016 14:19

Baby Boy Warren - Stop Breaking Down - Detroit 1954

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: December 10, 2016 14:30

B&L is the first album since Exile that Keith doesn't sing a song on it.

I don't no if it's allready mentioned here.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 10, 2016 14:37

terry
I can honestly say I had no interest in this blues album, as I was just looking foreword to an album of new materiel.
My daughter ordered it off amazon, and gave me it as an early Christmas present.
And I thought I give it a spin,and wow...... Jesus Christ and Mary wept, I can't stop playing the dam thing.
There's nothing that I don't like about it, I love every moment of this album.

Christmas miracle. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: December 10, 2016 14:47

TooTough
"lack of grit" ...

Meanwhile:

[fs5.directupload.net]

[mobile.twitter.com]

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 10, 2016 15:08

bart-man

There have been comments that it's the first since Black & Blue. Keith sang Happy on Exile.

Date: December 10, 2016 15:19

bart-man

He didn't have a whole lead vocal spot on IORR or Black and Blue either.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8586878889909192939495...LastNext
Current Page: 90 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home