Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 2, 2016 10:06

Geez what a boring album! Loudness war, Mick tries to sing like a yelling 20 something guy, Keith is absent, no nuances at all in anything. Hate to see you go is good though. Had they released that - fine but no this is not a good album. 2/5. 2 is for the Mick Jagger harmonica showcase.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 2, 2016 10:16

Redhotcarpet
Geez what a boring album! Loudness war, Mick tries to sing like a yelling 20 something guy, Keith is absent, no nuances at all in anything. Hate to see you go is good though. Had they released that - fine but no this is not a good album. 2/5. 2 is for the Mick Jagger harmonica showcase.

are joking or being serious?not trying be rude to you just asking thats all.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: December 2, 2016 10:38

tremendous stuff- streaming on amazon now while i wait for CD to arrive later.....

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: December 2, 2016 10:42

Redhotcarpet

Thank you Redhotcarpet! we needed this! It's a fix, too much enthusiasm here I was getting worried we could miss the point

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: December 2, 2016 10:43

Redhotcarpet

eye popping smiley

Date: December 2, 2016 10:54

Redhotcarpet

You better get your ears checked smiling smiley

There are nuances, but not in the song you liked. Figure that?

Keith is there all the time, and his playing brings me joy. The only song where he is somewhat absent is (surprise) Hate To See You Go...

Never post while drunk smileys with beer

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: December 2, 2016 11:11

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

hahahaha.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 2, 2016 11:17

Hairball

[...]

But...no cover can possibly come close to topping these versions - at least in my world:

[...]

Otis Rush - I Can't Quit You Baby (studio)

Cheers for posting this one! thumbs up

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: December 2, 2016 11:23

What a beautiful piece of work. It's taken me back to the reason why I fell in love with/became obsessed with the Stones many years ago. The raw energy and enthusiasm shines right through.

What with Exhibitionism and now this, 2016 is ranking amongst my best every Stones years.

Date: December 2, 2016 11:25

matxil
Hairball

[...]

But...no cover can possibly come close to topping these versions - at least in my world:

[...]

Otis Rush - I Can't Quit You Baby (studio)

Cheers for posting this one! thumbs up

Love the Rush-version dearly thumbs up

However, I think Hairball is up for a rather nice surprise here smoking smiley

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: December 2, 2016 11:52

I like the record very much. Maybe I would have preferred an album of originals but this version of "Blue And Lonesome" is absolutely amazing. Think it's my favourite song of the album. smiling smiley

Date: December 2, 2016 11:53

Cristiano Radtke
Some longer interviews with Keith, Mick, Charlie and Ronnie on a japanese website:

Keith

Mick

Charlie

Ronnie

Great interviews. Thanks for posting.
It must be difficult to interview Charlie by the way.

Posted by: txussilvestre ()
Date: December 2, 2016 12:02

Date: December 2, 2016 12:11

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

Keith is there all the time, and his playing brings me joy. The only song where he is somewhat absent is (surprise) Hate To See You Go...

I haven't heard the album yet, but I do like "Hate To See You Go" (not so fond of "Just Your Fool" ). I would say "Hate To See You Go" has the nuance that the guitar (I am supposing it's Ron) is playing the riff slightly different now and then, sometimes even it seems he slips and just in time recovers, which adds to the "spontaneous feel" of it.
Just my 2 cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-02 12:12 by matxil.

Date: December 2, 2016 12:13

mandu
Redhotcarpet

are joking or being serious?not trying be rude to you just asking thats all.

Im serious! Please enjoy the album, to me this is not good blues, i prefer other older versions including their own different covers from the debut album, Oooh or the Mocambo. To me this sounds rushed somehow. Sterile.

Date: December 2, 2016 12:13

txussilvestre
video: [www.youtube.com]

Never understood this weird thing of letting the sounds of the video interfere with the music. The song doesn't sound very inspired though.

Date: December 2, 2016 12:14

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

I haven't heard the album yet, but I do like "Hate To See You Go" (not so fond of "Just Your Fool"). I would say "Hate To See You Go" has the nuance that the guitar (I am supposing it's Ron) is playing the riff slightly different now and then, sometimes even it seems he slips and just in time recovers, which adds to the "spontaneous feel" of it.
Just my 2 cents.

Great track indeed, but not one of my favourites. I also find it better than Just Your Fool.

The funny thing was that it personifies all the criticism Carpet came up with on the album (Keith absent, few nuances etc) - yet it's the only track he says is great. That was the point I tried to get across smiling smiley

IMO, the single (with a dark and dangerous - and perhaps controversial – video to go with it) should have been Hoo Doo Blues!

Date: December 2, 2016 12:15

Still a fool was a great cover btw.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-02 12:18 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: December 2, 2016 12:32

Redhotcarpet
Still a fool was a great cover btw.

It was great indeed. So is Hoo Doo Blues.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 2, 2016 12:38

txussilvestre
video: [www.youtube.com]

Song rocks.....definitely can be played live next year...thumbs up

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: December 2, 2016 12:39

I listen to vinyl right now, much warmer than the cd , guitars and bass are more present and charlie is the man !
I find Mick voice a little bit hard , anyway this is a great record from the Rolling Stones.
Little Rain is awesome !!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: December 2, 2016 13:04

Listening to it whilst working.

A fantastic album. What a band!

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 2, 2016 13:30

I love the album. I had heard some negativity on this thread and was a bit worried, but I am listening to it now and it is just blowing me away. Mick's vocals are amazing, especially on the title track. And Keith is there, playing beautifully. And it's some of the best playing that I've ever heard by Ronnie. A brilliant album.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: December 2, 2016 13:39

Just heard the whole album two times in a row. My honest opinion is: Mick shines on it. I really like his vocals and especially his harmonica playing. BUT...let's face it, 54 years ago when this band started they were poor and hungry and real blues enthusiasts. What we hear now are a bunch of multi-millionaires and jet-setters whose blues roots are long, long gone. The Rolling Stones are not even a real band anymore, it is some sort of a project and a multi-million global player in the music and entertainment industry. More of like a brand than a band. It's a nice attempt to give the impression that they are old blues-cats and such, but it is as fake as Keith's teeth. To me this album is some sort of a gimmick and it doesn't sound like real and authentic blues to me.

**/*****

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: December 2, 2016 13:47

Hansman
Just heard the whole album two times in a row. My honest opinion is: Mick shines on it. I really like his vocals and especially his harmonica playing. BUT...let's face it, 54 years ago when this band started they were poor and hungry and real blues enthusiasts. What we hear now are a bunch of multi-millionaires and jet-setters whose blues roots are long, long gone. The Rolling Stones are not even a real band anymore, it is some sort of a project and a multi-million global player in the music and entertainment industry. More of like a brand than a band. It's a nice attempt to give the impression that they are old blues-cats and such, but it is as fake as Keith's teeth. To me this album is some sort of a gimmick and it doesn't sound like real and authentic blues to me.

**/*****

I beg to differ; it has the same degree of oomph as Johnny Winters' production of Muddy Waters on Hard Again.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: December 2, 2016 13:51

[iorr.org] I am going to take all the credit here.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-12-02 13:52 by donvis.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 2, 2016 13:53

You can't compare this one with Hard Again. Hard Again is a masterpiece and Muddy is the original master! I'll agree with you, Hansman. I think I'll pass on this one. Nice Mustang though!

Date: December 2, 2016 13:53

Stoneage
You can't compare this one with Hard Again. Hard Again is a masterpiece and Muddy is the original master! I'll agree with you, Hansman. I think I'll pass on this one. Nice Mustang though!

Baffling...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 2, 2016 14:05

I like most everybody here love the sound of this album - raw and crunchy, Mick sounds great - more 'into it', feeling the vocals - than in a long time. The whole atmosphere of sound is dark and brooding.

But.....

I guess my problem is the blues. I don't really like listening to a tune for the first time and knowing what the chord will change to and when. Every single tune on the new album you know when the changes are coming and how. At least Love In Vain contains that Eminor (i think, i dont have my guitar with me) that surprises a little. I guess the blues is just a little to predictable for me.

I would love to love the new album, but feel i have already heard these songs a thousand times before...

Now I'm really ducking down to avoid the rotten tomatoes...

Date: December 2, 2016 14:07

peoplewitheyes
I like most everybody here love the sound of this album - raw and crunchy, Mick sounds great - more 'into it', feeling the vocals - than in a long time. The whole atmosphere of sound is dark and brooding.

But.....

I guess my problem is the blues. I don't really like listening to a tune for the first time and knowing what the chord will change to and when. Every single tune on the new album you know when the changes are coming and how. At least Love In Vain contains that Eminor (i think, i dont have my guitar with me) that surprises a little. I guess the blues is just a little to predictable for me.

I would love to love the new album, but feel i have already heard these songs a thousand times before...

Now I'm really ducking down to avoid the rotten tomatoes...

Rock isn't really that different to the blues here smoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2375
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home