Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 26, 2016 18:18

Rolling Stone gave Voodoo Lounge 4/5 in 1994. Just sayin.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/voodoo-lounge-19940811

Date: November 26, 2016 18:19

Let it Bleed is 5/5.
There is no way this album is 4/5.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 26, 2016 18:27

Redhotcarpet
Let it Bleed is 5/5.

As long as we're ranking them before listening... I give the studio album that comes out in 2017 a 2 out of 5. Keith sings horribly on his track, makes me vomit. And another SOL type ballad, come on, Stones can do better!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 26, 2016 19:14

LeonidP
Redhotcarpet
Let it Bleed is 5/5.

As long as we're ranking them before listening... I give the studio album that comes out in 2017 a 2 out of 5. Keith sings horribly on his track, makes me vomit. And another SOL type ballad, come on, Stones can do better!

thumbs up
Mick's fault.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 26, 2016 19:29

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 26, 2016 19:43

georgelicks
It looks like many journalists are not getting the new album, or they never heard a blues album before, of course that a blues album is repetitive, and doing a blues album in 2016 is so out of time with current times than some people are expecting a new Miss You, time is not on their side anymore for creative purpose since a LONG time ago.

Agreed. The lukewarm reviews must be humbling for Mick, but not sure how or why or even if he would expect anything more from a blues covers album.
Seems like in the past he's always wanting a hit single - not gonna happen this time. It will be a decent album of covers, but will not rank anywhere near their best - simply because of the lack of any originals
In the end, might be a good thing as Mick might write more from the heart rather than writing with the aim of hit singles and chart positions - similar to what Keith did with Crosseyed Heart.
Just wondering what Mick will do with the hoard of demos the band tried to unsuccessfully work on - probably best kept for his own solo album.

Redhotcarpet

Rolling Stone also gave Mick's Goddess solo album 5 stars which had many wondering what the reviewer was smoking.

Goddess

And if that didn't have many questioning the credibility of Rolling Stone magazine, they gave A Bigger Bang 4.5 stars.

ABB

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 26, 2016 19:51

The Goddess album 5 stars???? Hahahahaha. The reviewer must have bean deaf,dumb and off this planet.
Jeroen

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 26, 2016 20:09

I would give Goddess 5 stars too.
5 out of 100.

ABB deserves a solid 3.5-rating.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 26, 2016 20:21

I'd rank GODDESS one star out of five
I'd rank BIGGER BANG two stars out of five
I'd rank CROSSEYED HEART three stars out of five
I'm guessing BLUE AND LONESOME will wind up three stars out of five

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 26, 2016 20:41

As I said earlier - this album will not get a bad review. That's because blues is critical (political) correct. It's arts music by now. Like jazz. Few listens to it but it's always critically acclaimed.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 26, 2016 21:45

corriecas
The Goddess album 5 stars???? Hahahahaha. The reviewer must have bean deaf,dumb and off this planet.
Jeroen

thumbs up

Maybe - 5 !!

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 26, 2016 23:01

What sort of half-wit reviews an album before they have heard it?

Idiots!

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 26, 2016 23:06

corriecas
Jeroen

GITD is not an album for Stones fans, too much modern/weird stuff for the die hard fanbase, sadly only Stones fans cared about the album and general audience could care less.
I remember an interview on 2002 with Mick saying that Stones fans are very conservative, almost like Franco on Spain.
Since then it was all about nostalgia and retro stuff for him, except the Superheavy thing.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 27, 2016 01:05

georgelicks
I remember an interview on 2002 with Mick saying that Stones fans are very conservative, almost like Franco on Spain.
Since then it was all about nostalgia and retro stuff for him, except the Superheavy thing.

Yes, but what else can a po'boy do when open-g riffing is basically all your hardcore fan base wants to hear and by that time, this formula had already been exploited ad nauseam?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 27, 2016 01:39

This was probably discussed before, but perhaps it’s time for somebody at the Stones’ camp to make some corrections on this post on their website.

"According to the band’s handwritten set list for that first gig (penned by Ian Stewart in his appointment diary) they played songs by their heroes Jimmy Reed, Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry.

The rest is history."

THE SET LIST
Kansas City – Wilbert Harrison
Honey What’s Wrong – Billy Fury (???)
Confessin’ The Blues – Chuck Berry
Bright Lights, Big City – Jimmy Reed
Dust My Blues – Elmore James
Down The Road Apiece – Chuck Berry
I Want To Love You – Charles Smith
I’m A Hoochie Coochie Man – Muddy Waters
Ride ‘Em On Down – Robert Johnson confused smiley
Back In The USA – Chuck Berry
I Feel A Kind Of Lonesome – Jimmy Reed
Blues Before Sunrise – Elmore James
Big Boss Man – Jimmy Reed
Don’t Stay Out All Night – Billy Boy Arnold
Tell Me That You Love Me – Fats Domino
Happy Home – Elmore James

[www.rollingstones.com]

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Date: November 27, 2016 02:03

Stoneage
As I said earlier - this album will not get a bad review. That's because blues is critical (political) correct. It's arts music by now. Like jazz. Few listens to it but it's always critically acclaimed.
thumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 27, 2016 02:59

Redhotcarpet
Stoneage
thumbs up

drinking smiley cool smiley

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: November 27, 2016 05:54

I made a CD of the originals along with the 3 new Stones songs. The new songs are so loud and distorted in comparison. What the hell were they thinking???
HMS
The three songs I´ve heard so far are recorded/mixed/whatever so loud that they are sometimes heavily distorted. That´s most unenjoyable.

I´m afraid all of the songs will turn out to sound that way. Musically the songs are very good and Mick´s singing is amazing. After all that overacted singing-posing on the last couple of albums I didn´t knew that he actually still can sing in a "normal way".

But: Their best album since Some Girls? Never. This is all covers, no originals. It seems to be well done but just like Crosseyed Heart it isn´t Manna from heaven. Maybe it will be boring to listen to it, 12 more or less similar songs in a row. Always the harmonica, always the singing & breathing-at-the-same-time vocal gimmick, always the distorted guitars, I really don´t know.... I like the three songs we´ve heard so far, but basically it´s all just the same... not much variety.

Best album since Some Girls, btw, of course is DW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 05:57 by donvis.

Date: November 27, 2016 09:31

HMS
The three songs I´ve heard so far are recorded/mixed/whatever so loud that they are sometimes heavily distorted. That´s most unenjoyable.

I´m afraid all of the songs will turn out to sound that way. Musically the songs are very good and Mick´s singing is amazing. After all that overacted singing-posing on the last couple of albums I didn´t knew that he actually still can sing in a "normal way".

But: Their best album since Some Girls? Never. This is all covers, no originals. It seems to be well done but just like Crosseyed Heart it isn´t Manna from heaven. Maybe it will be boring to listen to it, 12 more or less similar songs in a row. Always the harmonica, always the singing & breathing-at-the-same-time vocal gimmick, always the distorted guitars, I really don´t know.... I like the three songs we´ve heard so far, but basically it´s all just the same... not much variety.

I think we are all agreed about that.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 27, 2016 12:38

Maindefender
HMS

My hope all along is that Blue and Lonesome will be solid and a lot of fun to listen to!! I really like Hate To a See You Go so far. Production wise TBD but always weary of overproduction by Jagger/Was.

But also a prelude to a 2017 album of new originals. It won't be easy, Keith is already getting aggravated with Mick as we have recently seen..haha

**Just gave a Ride Em On Down the headphone treatment, and it is a treat!! Great and gritty, and Charlie is excellent. I like it yes I do.

Date: November 27, 2016 12:51

Maindefender
Maindefender
HMS

My hope all along is that Blue and Lonesome will be solid and a lot of fun to listen to!! I really like Hate To a See You Go so far. Production wise TBD but always weary of overproduction by Jagger/Was.

But also a prelude to a 2017 album of new originals. It won't be easy, Keith is already getting aggravated with Mick as we have recently seen..haha

**Just gave a Ride Em On Down the headphone treatment, and it is a treat!! Great and gritty, and Charlie is excellent. I like it yes I do.

Are you referring to my signature?!!
smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 27, 2016 13:05

KRiffhard
Maindefender
Maindefender
HMS

Are you referring to my signature?!!
smiling smiley

No I added a line after listening to REOD this morning. Charlie Watts tour de force!! (New Stones album in 2017?, Oy ve....)

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 27, 2016 13:52

Cristiano Radtke
This was probably discussed before, but perhaps it’s time for somebody at the Stones’ camp to make some corrections on this post on their website.

"According to the band’s handwritten set list for that first gig (penned by Ian Stewart in his appointment diary) they played songs by their heroes Jimmy Reed, Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry.

The rest is history."

THE SET LIST
Kansas City – Wilbert Harrison
Honey What’s Wrong – Billy Fury (???)
Confessin’ The Blues – Chuck Berry
Bright Lights, Big City – Jimmy Reed
Dust My Blues – Elmore James
Down The Road Apiece – Chuck Berry
I Want To Love You – Charles Smith
I’m A Hoochie Coochie Man – Muddy Waters
Ride ‘Em On Down – Robert Johnson confused smiley
Back In The USA – Chuck Berry
I Feel A Kind Of Lonesome – Jimmy Reed
Blues Before Sunrise – Elmore James
Big Boss Man – Jimmy Reed
Don’t Stay Out All Night – Billy Boy Arnold
Tell Me That You Love Me – Fats Domino
Happy Home – Elmore James

[www.rollingstones.com]

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

1962 July 12. The Rollin' Stones
original setlist
(if no Stones version available you'll find the originals)

1. Kansas City (Rolling Stones)
[www.youtube.com]
2. Baby What's Wrong (Rolling Stones)
[www.youtube.com]
3. Confessin' The Blues (Rolling Stones)
[www.youtube.com]
4. Bright Lights Big City (Rolling Stones)
[www.youtube.com]
5. Dust My Blues (Elmore James)
[www.youtube.com]
6. Down The Road Apiece (Rolling Stones)
[www.youtube.com]
7. I'm A Love You (Jimmy Reed)
[www.youtube.com]
8.Bad Boy (Eddy Taylor)
[www.youtube.com]
9. I Ain't Got You (pre-Rolling Stones 1961)
[www.youtube.com]
10. Hush-Hush (Jimmy Reed)
[www.youtube.com]
11. Ride 'Em On Down (Eddy Taylor)
[www.youtube.com]
12. Back In The USA (Rolling Stones)
[www.youtube.com]
13. Kind Of Lonesome (Jimmy Reed)
[www.youtube.com]
14. Blues Before Sunrise (Elmore James)
[www.youtube.com]
15. Big Boss Man (Jimmy Reed)
[www.youtube.com]
16. Don't Stay Out All Night (Billy Boy Arnold)
[www.youtube.com]
17. Tell Me That You Love Me (Jimmy Reed)
[www.youtube.com]
18. Happy Home (Elmore James)
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 13:53 by 1962.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: November 27, 2016 14:35

Anybody have the whole thing on cd ?
Thanks

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 27, 2016 15:00

I kinda hoped the production would level other modern bluesrecordings, but no... It's the same since A Bigger Bang. With blues I like to hear all instruments but there is no distinctive bass, it is buried. Further it lacks any warmth.

Musically I expect it to be great. Allthough their own blues originals are really top notch (The Storm, Fancy Man Blues, Black Limousine, Keep Up Blues, etc.).

Posted by: Medzvel ()
Date: November 27, 2016 16:29

Rolling Stones pay tribute to their Chicago blues school on 'Blue & Lonesome'

Chicago Tribune. 27/11/2016

[www.chicagotribune.com]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 27, 2016 16:52

Hairball
georgelicks
It looks like many journalists are not getting the new album, or they never heard a blues album before, of course that a blues album is repetitive, and doing a blues album in 2016 is so out of time with current times than some people are expecting a new Miss You, time is not on their side anymore for creative purpose since a LONG time ago.

Agreed. The lukewarm reviews must be humbling for Mick, but not sure how or why or even if he would expect anything more from a blues covers album.
Seems like in the past he's always wanting a hit single - not gonna happen this time. It will be a decent album of covers, but will not rank anywhere near their best - simply because of the lack of any originals
In the end, might be a good thing as Mick might write more from the heart rather than writing with the aim of hit singles and chart positions - similar to what Keith did with Crosseyed Heart.
Just wondering what Mick will do with the hoard of demos the band tried to unsuccessfully work on - probably best kept for his own solo album.

Redhotcarpet

Rolling Stone also gave Mick's Goddess solo album 5 stars which had many wondering what the reviewer was smoking.

Goddess

And if that didn't have many questioning the credibility of Rolling Stone magazine, they gave A Bigger Bang 4.5 stars.

ABB

Agreed on 2 out of 3... Not bad.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 27, 2016 16:54

MisterDDDD
LeonidP
Redhotcarpet
Let it Bleed is 5/5.

thumbs up
Mick's fault.

And let's not forget: Ronnie ain't no Mick T., that's for sure.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 27, 2016 17:57

Ghost of Brian Jones visits Keith...

[www.contactmusic.net]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 27, 2016 19:06

Muddyw
I kinda hoped the production would level other modern bluesrecordings, but no... It's the same since A Bigger Bang. With blues I like to hear all instruments but there is no distinctive bass, it is buried. Further it lacks any warmth.

Musically I expect it to be great. Allthough their own blues originals are really top notch (The Storm, Fancy Man Blues, Black Limousine, Keep Up Blues, etc.).

have you listened to the whole album? judging from the 3 tracks I heard the sound is completely different fron ABB, worlds apart. And I dont have much doubt about the fact the whole album sound would sound as these 3 tracks. There's a lot of drawl between the instruments. This is explained in interview and it is a clear production choice. anyway I hear very much both bass and drums, and the interwined guitars sound has been the band's trademark since i dont know when. also a lot of reverb which i like in those I heard. again, worlds apart from ABB. imo

but maybe with "modern blues recordings" you refer to hings like joe bonamassa..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-27 19:20 by maumau.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home