Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 29, 2016 15:41

can someone hit me up with the streaming link? (is it the Arts Desk site?
, cause i only see the review there)

Posted by: mikehat ()
Date: November 29, 2016 15:42

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-29 15:43 by mikehat.

Date: November 29, 2016 15:42

<Album is a grower>

That's excellent news, as it floored me upon my first listen thumbs up

Date: November 29, 2016 15:46

x.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-29 16:05 by mikehat.

Date: November 29, 2016 15:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-29 15:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 29, 2016 15:51

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-29 15:56 by mikehat.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2016 16:35

The title track is outstanding.

Date: November 29, 2016 16:37

I Gotta Go is great!

Date: November 29, 2016 16:39

I Gotta Go is rocking!

Date: November 29, 2016 16:48

Little Rain is brutally evil!

Date: November 29, 2016 16:54

Nice to hear great slide playing from Keith again on Hoodoo Blues!

Date: November 29, 2016 16:57

In terms of the overall vibe it is accurate to say it's their best since SOME GIRLS (although it's really their best album since TATTOO YOU to anyone with a brain). Once most everyone hears the album they'll get it. SG has a snarl to it - so does B&L. It makes sense to line them up in terms of the vibe, the attitude (which is completely different but it's practically the same if that makes sense) and the attack.

B&L sounds like the secret follow up to SG that they never released only with better sound than SG - it's @#$%&' dirty!

Date: November 29, 2016 16:58

No one that listens to this album will pull a STEEL WHEELS or VOODOO LOUNGE or whatever, which is 'oh this is great!' because it's new and then a year later, 'uh, it's not very good'.

That won't happen.

Date: November 29, 2016 17:00

GasLightStreet
No one that listens to this album will pull a STEEL WHEELS or VOODOO LOUNGE or whatever, which is 'oh this is great!' because it's new and then a year later, 'uh, it's not very good'.

That won't happen.

I'm tempted to say The Stones's version of I Can't Quit You surpasses Led Zep's brilliant version. What do you think?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 29, 2016 17:04

After listening to this record again, I have to say that the review which says this is the best Stones record since Some Girls is not that exaggerated. Blue and Lonesome is such a powerful, raw and honest album and the Stones certainly deserve all the praise and appreciation for having recorded it, even if it's a covers album.

Date: November 29, 2016 17:16

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

That won't happen.

I'm tempted to say The Stones's version of I Can't Quit You surpasses Led Zep's brilliant version. What do you think?

I dunno. They're completely different versions, arrangements. LZ's is awesome (both of them, actually). This one is pretty damn good. Where Zep stretched out, the Stones keep it tighter like Otis Rush did, which isn't as loose as the original, where you can hear what Page heard and drew it out.

They're really two completely different songs!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: November 29, 2016 17:17

I like what I hear. Love it

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: November 29, 2016 17:21

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

That won't happen.

I dunno. They're completely different versions, arrangements. LZ's is awesome (both of them, actually). This one is pretty damn good. Where Zep stretched out, the Stones keep it tighter like Otis Rush did, which isn't as loose as the original, where you can hear what Page heard and drew it out.

Yep, totally different. But I'm impressed by what the Stones achieved with this one.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 29, 2016 17:23

Great news! Can't wait till friday...drinking smileythumbs up

How did you get so lucky to have heard it already?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 29, 2016 17:31

FoolToCry
…heard the album today…what can i say: f*** great.
"all of your love" is maybe the best jagger-vocal-performance ever recorded on a stones-studio-record. screamin!
"hoo doo blues" - jagger smooth mood. like the deep phrases in "all the way down" or "dead flowers" from stripped.

Indeed, that track has me floored, most excellent, the singing of course with Mick growling like he hasn't since the "Shaved Stone" outtake from SG ! But also the mood, Keith's riffing at the end, the piano. On the other hand it's a bit hard to listen to "Commit a Crime" after Mick's version with Jeff beck...

I'm a bit disappointed by the very narrow stereo image though, some like "Just Like I Treat You" almost sound like mono tracks, anyone else? I took off my best open cans from the shelf but they're not helping much.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-29 17:34 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: z ()
Date: November 29, 2016 17:32

Is that an acoustic guitar I'm hearing on Commit a Crime?

Date: November 29, 2016 17:41

gotdablouse
FoolToCry
"all of your love" is maybe the best jagger-vocal-performance ever recorded on a stones-studio-record. screamin!
"hoo doo blues" - jagger smooth mood. like the deep phrases in "all the way down" or "dead flowers" from stripped.

Indeed, that track has me floored, most excellent, the singing of course with Mick growling like he hasn't since the "Shaved Stone" outtake from SG ! But also the mood, Keith's riffing at the end, the piano. On the other hand it's a bit hard to listen to "Commit a Crime" after Mick's version with Jeff beck...

I'm a bit disappointed by the very narrow stereo image though, some like "Just Like I Treat You" almost sound like mono tracks, anyone else? I took off my best open cans from the shelf but they're not helping much.

On some tracks you almost can't separate the guitars. It seems they weren't bullshiting us on how some of these tracks were recorded.

Tracks like Hate To See You Go and Hoodoo Blues have good separation, though.

I like it!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 29, 2016 17:59

DandelionPowderman
<Album is a grower>

That's excellent news, as it floored me upon my first listen thumbs up

>grinning smiley<

You'll end up "Down In The Hole", then. smoking smiley

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 29, 2016 18:00

Cannot wait to hear this!!!! Loved the first three released tracks; the sound, the atmosphere, the production. Jagger's harmonica alone will make this worth the price.

Hopefully TheArtsDesk stream is still online tonight, if not, roll on Friday for - finally - a brand new Rolling Stones album! I loved ABB, and still do (my own 12-track 'A Better Bang' is a seriously great piece of work), but a brand new Stones album is something I never thought I'd witness.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 29, 2016 18:01

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse
FoolToCry

On some tracks you almost can't separate the guitars. It seems they weren't bullshiting us on how some of these tracks were recorded.

Tracks like Hate To See You Go and Hoodoo Blues have good separation, though.

I like it!

Theartsdesk review called Keith and Ron's guitar work as "shadow play", I like that analogy!! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-29 18:03 by Maindefender.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 29, 2016 18:02

georgelicks
Album is a grower, after listening again after 10 hours off it sounds way better than yesterday, I really like the sound on it, its raw but hot at the same time and it flows so well, I love the band's talking at the end of many songs, it was cut live and it shows.

hopefully you'll revise that 7-7.5 rating you gave earlier georgelicks.......drinking smiley

Posted by: FoolToCry ()
Date: November 29, 2016 18:06

z
Is that an acoustic guitar I'm hearing on Commit a Crime?
yes, i hear it too. sounds like Jagger!

Date: November 29, 2016 18:12

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

That won't happen.

Yep, totally different. But I'm impressed by what the Stones achieved with this one.

Indeed. It's awesome!

Date: November 29, 2016 18:13

gotdablouse
FoolToCry

This one makes that one truly as... I can't stand Jagger with Jeff Beck.

Date: November 29, 2016 18:14

One thing is clear on this LP - Ronnie is carrying the load! Damn good, too.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home