Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 117
Re: The Rolling Stones new blues album "Blue & Lonesome" due out Dec 2
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 16, 2016 00:59

More Hot Rocks
Does anyone know it the new Blue and lonesome deluxe version will be available in the USA through Amazon?

The answer is finally yes. (Although much more expensive than my Bull Moose sales price)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 16, 2016 01:20

I remember thinking that a few year's ago when he recounted how on tour he bought a coffee maker for his hotel room (don't most hotels already have coffee makers in the room?) so that he could save money rather than buy coffee from the coffee shop.

Savin' on paper cups .... loves trees ya know ... and hey that's a beautiful thang ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2016 01:53

I wonder if we'll get one of Keith's "It just happened, man" statements about the blues album.

Which would probably be quite accurate, really.

Starting to really look forward to this album.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 16, 2016 03:23

mr chuck released his blues covers album 4 years ago, dude can play...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 16, 2016 09:30

Natlanta
mr chuck released his blues covers album 4 years ago, dude can play...

[www.youtube.com]

Sure he can play! The problem is the 'plink-plink-plink'style unsuitable for the Stones.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 16, 2016 13:18

The problem is what he plays, not how he plays. If he had a piano that allowed him to play like on "Fancy Man Blues" we would all be saying it's like having Stu back. If he was allowed to mainly play tasty organ fills like he does much of the time in the studio, we would putting him up with Billy Preston. The live keyboard role is far different. It augments and sometimes substitutes for guitar and even provides percussion and at the worst of times harmonica. That's a far cry from what fans enjoy. It's not a question of Chuck can't, it's a question of whether the band wants a true keyboard player or prefers a magician to compensate for them without the general audience being aware of the sleight of hand.

Date: October 16, 2016 13:37

The harp is Matt, though smiling smiley

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 16, 2016 16:09

So did Chuck play on the album? The press release says he does but it also says no overdubs. Chuck's blog post seems to indicate he was not present at the sessions, so if he's on the record his parts must have been overdubbed?! No Chuck and Matt Clifford low in the mix would seem a good thing, though.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 16, 2016 16:17

Purely right.
He substitutes for guitars more and more often like during the 2 Desert Trip shows...

Rocky Dijon
The problem is what he plays, not how he plays. If he had a piano that allowed him to play like on "Fancy Man Blues" we would all be saying it's like having Stu back. If he was allowed to mainly play tasty organ fills like he does much of the time in the studio, we would putting him up with Billy Preston. The live keyboard role is far different. It augments and sometimes substitutes for guitar and even provides percussion and at the worst of times harmonica. That's a far cry from what fans enjoy. It's not a question of Chuck can't, it's a question of whether the band wants a true keyboard player or prefers a magician to compensate for them without the general audience being aware of the sleight of hand.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 16, 2016 19:18

MrEcho
So did Chuck play on the album? The press release says he does but it also says no overdubs. Chuck's blog post seems to indicate he was not present at the sessions, so if he's on the record his parts must have been overdubbed?! No Chuck and Matt Clifford low in the mix would seem a good thing, though.

They cut 7-9 songs last December. Additional tracks were cut in April. I suspect the no overdubs claim - if true - means there aren't guitar overdubs. Chuck and Jim Keltner added their parts in April.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 16, 2016 21:03

No guitar overdubs like on the DVD ?
And I don't speak about Desert Trip "Live" videos.
Start Me Up (2013 music) and Get Off My Cloud (2006 !). It inspires confidence for sure.
Just marketing stuff...
Sure Don Was works after the recordings... smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-16 21:14 by powerage78.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 16, 2016 21:07

GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet
That partially explains why the SOME GIRLS extras album is so weak.

The SG-Bonus-CD is surprisingly good. Some very good songs indeed. Maybe you meant the Exile-Bonus-CD is weak? That disc indeed is only filled with what they found at the bottom of the barrel.

Your trolling fake sense of fandom is predictable but I'll comment anyway since you have no idea what quality is and information has zero relevance:

There are only 5 good songs on the SG bonus disc:
No Spare Parts
Do You Think I Really Care
We Had It All
You Win Again
Tallahassee Lassie.

The rest of it blows (So Young was a scam since it was already released - they might as well've put Everything Is Turning To Gold on it). They left a few other really good songs off. No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care would've fit on the excellent SOME GIRLS had they finished them.

The EOMS bonus disc is much better, partly because it's shorter so the quality content is higher. For the most part. Amazingly one of their best songs was not put on EOMS, I'm Not Signifying. Pass The Wine and Plundered My Soul are great tunes. Following The River is ruined by Mick's oversinging and is a sappy mess in general. Dancing In The Light and So Divine (which should've had Mick Taylor add new guitar instead of Keith's string strangles) are decent and would've made good B-sides if they'd been finished in 1972. The different takes of Loving Cup and Soul Survivor are great, as is Good Time Women. Why they put a track from 1967 on it has never been explained.

Bollocks.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 17, 2016 00:31

Rolling Hansie
Rocky Dijon
Yes-man?

Matt did play with Yes and on soloprojects of Yes members smiling smiley

In fact that's how he started working with the Stones as Yes (or rather Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe, honest I didn't look it up! ) were also recording an album in Montserrat.

I still remember that Vanity Fair interview from early 92 where Matt was described as Mick's "musical aide de camp" while they were working on the then unreleased "Don't Tear Me Up". There must have been a slight fallout though since he was barely on WS and then had to take a pass on VL and the tour...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-17 10:44 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: October 17, 2016 04:28

Will there be any original songs, written by Jagger and Richards? I would like to hear at least one on the new CD. But I will be pleased with covers of the great blues songs from days gone by.

The Stones have written and sung several blues songs, such as Back of My Hand and Down in the Hole.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 17, 2016 04:50

flilflam
Will there be any original songs, written by Jagger and Richards? I would like to hear at least one on the new CD. But I will be pleased with covers of the great blues songs from days gone by.

The Stones have written and sung several blues songs, such as Back of My Hand and Down in the Hole.

They are supposed to be putting out an album of new material soon.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 17, 2016 11:03

my favourite of their blues numbers is still "the spider and the fly" - would it need another lyric ? "she looked about 50 probably still ok ? But any offers for updates ?

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: October 17, 2016 16:21

EJM
my favourite of their blues numbers is still "the spider and the fly" - would it need another lyric ? "she looked about 50 probably still ok ? But any offers for updates ?

I'm struggling for a rhyme to "looked about eighty" to be honest.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: October 17, 2016 16:30

BILLPERKS
GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

The SG-Bonus-CD is surprisingly good. Some very good songs indeed. Maybe you meant the Exile-Bonus-CD is weak? That disc indeed is only filled with what they found at the bottom of the barrel.

Your trolling fake sense of fandom is predictable but I'll comment anyway since you have no idea what quality is and information has zero relevance:

No Spare Parts
We Had It All
You Win Again
Tallahassee Lassie.

The rest of it blows (So Young was a scam since it was already released - they might as well've put Everything Is Turning To Gold on it). They left a few other really good songs off. No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care would've fit on the excellent SOME GIRLS had they finished them.

The EOMS bonus disc is much better, partly because it's shorter so the quality content is higher. For the most part. Amazingly one of their best songs was not put on EOMS, I'm Not Signifying. Pass The Wine and Plundered My Soul are great tunes. Following The River is ruined by Mick's oversinging and is a sappy mess in general. Dancing In The Light and So Divine (which should've had Mick Taylor add new guitar instead of Keith's string strangles) are decent and would've made good B-sides if they'd been finished in 1972. The different takes of Loving Cup and Soul Survivor are great, as is Good Time Women. Why they put a track from 1967 on it has never been explained.

Bollocks.

Bwahaha. 'Bollocks' that was exactly what I was thinking too!!!! >grinning smiley<

By the way I much prefer the some girls bonus disc to the Exile bonus album. does that mean I'm some kinda trolling fake fan too????

Ah well, 'tis only rawk n rowl

\m/

Date: October 17, 2016 17:24

BILLPERKS
GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

No Spare Parts
We Had It All
You Win Again
Tallahassee Lassie.

Bollocks.

Truth hurts.

Date: October 17, 2016 17:25

latebloomer
flilflam

They are supposed to be putting out an album of new material soon.

2017 soon.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 17, 2016 17:25

JumpinJimF
EJM

"She was common, weighty, she looked about eighty" grinning smiley

Date: October 17, 2016 17:28

Monkeytonkman
BILLPERKS
GasLightStreet
HMS
GasLightStreet

No Spare Parts
We Had It All
You Win Again
Tallahassee Lassie.

Bollocks.

Bwahaha. 'Bollocks' that was exactly what I was thinking too!!!! >grinning smiley<

By the way I much prefer the some girls bonus disc to the Exile bonus album. does that mean I'm some kinda trolling fake fan too????

Ah well, 'tis only rawk n rowl

\m/

How can you be a trolling fake fan too when you don't prattle on and on about garbage? I think the bonus disc of EOMS is way better than the SG bonus because it has significantly better material on it - which it does - although the SG bonus does have 5 great tracks on it. Those blues tracks are just boring.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 17, 2016 18:07

How come folks are always worrying about how good the songs are ?

I don't give a monkey's .

I just love the noise this band makes when playing absolutley anything ! smiling smiley

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 17, 2016 18:25

"She was common, weighty, she looked about eighty" grinning smiley[/quote]

lmao......great one....

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: October 17, 2016 18:49

detroitken

lmao......great one....[/quote]

That's the one !

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 17, 2016 19:00

From Rolling Stones' [Twitter.com] :

"To celebrate the announcement of Blue & Lonesome you can now add the blue tongue to your photos!"

"Turn Your Tongue Blue:

To celebrate the release of the Rolling Stones new album Blue & Lonesome, submit your Photo and turn your tongue blue!

Click login to get started: [blueandlonesome.rollingstones.com] ."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-17 19:10 by Irix.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: October 17, 2016 19:05

Maindefender
JumpinJimF
EJM

She said she liked the way I gripped my zimmer frame...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 17, 2016 19:56

Maindefender
More Hot Rocks
Does anyone know it the new Blue and lonesome deluxe version will be available in the USA through Amazon?

The answer is finally yes. (Although much more expensive than my Bull Moose sales price)

You're not kidding about the price difference. I've never used Bull Moose before. Are they reliable? A savings of $16 (or close to 33%) is enough to make me try somebody new.

Thanks for any advice or feedback you can provide.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 17, 2016 21:02

Irix
From Rolling Stones' [Twitter.com] :

"To celebrate the announcement of Blue & Lonesome you can now add the blue tongue to your photos!"

To celebrate the release of the Rolling Stones new album Blue & Lonesome, submit your Photo and turn your tongue blue!

Click login to get started: [blueandlonesome.rollingstones.com] ."[/i]

so much for the tongue being only "a one inch square" on itunes,the vinyl album and cd are readily avalailable,a true spinal tap moment for the stones.

nigel tufnel: "we're doing blues so the album cover is gonna be,you know..blue"

david st hubbins:"the next one is gonna be more rock so we're gonna do a cover with a rock,a big rock.possibly stonehenge."

the good news is it looks like mick is getting ready to have plink walk the plank.
they are always suprised,no matter who it is when they hang around too long and become expendable.chuck's gonna take it really hard because he actually thinks he's in the stones.you can start the countdown to the book-"my years in the stones and mick is a bad guy who just does it for the money."

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 17, 2016 21:09

mr_dja
Maindefender
More Hot Rocks

You're not kidding about the price difference. I've never used Bull Moose before. Are they reliable? A savings of $16 (or close to 33%) is enough to make me try somebody new.

Thanks for any advice or feedback you can provide.

Bull Moose is legit - nice little chain in NH and Maine, usually with great prices.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home