Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 67
Re: Mick Jagger solo works
Date: April 30, 2017 18:43

DandelionPowderman
I think Hoodoo Blues is up there with Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move and Parachute Woman - for me those are some of the best blues tracks they ever did. Performance-wise and sound-wise, HB is just as good, imo.

Compared to the early days Stones's songs like Prodigal Son, they completely lost the blues feel on Hoodoo Blues. And that's my complaint about Bl& L. On that Album it's the hardware that makes it sound impressive. It's not in the fingers anymore, with the exception of some Keith riffs, which he did much better on Ya Ya's already. Don't you lie is another example, at least there's a professional player doing a lead guitar solo,smoking smiley not to be found on BL & L (Clapton is there for some bars)
Bl&L is a Rolling Stones tourist's menu, songs, nothing more, nothing less. - At least to me. But please enjoy.

Date: April 30, 2017 19:02

Remember that the original "blues feel" was about other things than guitar solos.

It was about, er, feel. Hoodoo Blues, as a song, has plenty of that. I really can't see need for any improvement on that one.

Date: April 30, 2017 19:25

DandelionPowderman
Remember that the original "blues feel" was about other things than guitar solos.

It was about, er, feel. Hoodoo Blues, as a song, has plenty of that. I really can't see need for any improvement on that one.

Let's agree to disagree then. We all know our blues history. I have asked the question before, how do we define blues? The original blues / ragtime feel, like Blind Bake 1926 I recently posted, thats a different league then the contemporary Stones, it is more pure and way more sophisticated. And the slide was a significant tool in the early blues days already. After that players like BB King etc popped up coming up with blues licks. Nobody did those things better than Taylor in the Stones. I'll leave Ron Wood out as I don't consider him being a decent (blues) player at all, imo.. It leaves BL& L as well...Mick Jagger and eventually Charlie. But hey , I'm a Taylorite anyway, lost in the desert, repeating myself.smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 19:51 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2017 20:21

DandelionPowderman
I think Hoodoo Blues is up there with Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move and Parachute Woman - for me those are some of the best blues tracks they ever did. Performance-wise and sound-wise, HB is just as good, imo.

Shouldn't this be posted in the 'Musical confessions' thread? winking smiley
I had to do a double take and re-read it, but then realized you're being serious and I'll respect your opinion.

thumbs up

Truth be told, I was never a huge fan of the Stones' version of You Gotta Move - it's a bit contrived, and is a shadow of the Mississippi Fred McDowell version IMO.
But the Stones' cover of Prodigal Son is essential in it's minimalist bare-bones acoustic attack, as is their original Parachute Woman which chugs along with perfection.
The production on both is of the highest quality, bringing out the best of the performances and putting you right there in the room with them. Hoodoo Blues..................no comment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 20:22 by Hairball.

Date: April 30, 2017 22:00

Of course I'm serious. This version is mean, dirty and dangerous. It blows the original(s) out of the water with its darker vibe thumbs up

Date: April 30, 2017 22:08

Lol - like I said I respect your opinion. eye rolling smiley

*edit: But my tongue-in-cheek reply was not relating to what you think of the Stones version vs. the original.
It was your claim that it's "up there with Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move and Parachute Woman", but it's your right to think so, and your opinion is respected.
Didn't intend to ruffle your feathers or offend. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-30 22:26 by Hairball.

Date: April 30, 2017 23:42

Hairball
Lol - like I said I respect your opinion. eye rolling smiley

*edit: But my tongue-in-cheek reply was not relating to what you think of the Stones version vs. the original.
It was your claim that it's "up there with Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move and Parachute Woman", but it's your right to think so, and your opinion is respected.
Didn't intend to ruffle your feathers or offend. thumbs up

No offence taken thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 1, 2017 02:36

Hairball
Truth be told, I was never a huge fan of the Stones' version of You Gotta Move - it's a bit contrived, and is a shadow of the Mississippi Fred McDowell version IMO...

"truth be told"? ... so you were really listening much to the original before you heard the Stones version? ... c'mon, now, tell the 'truth'.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 1, 2017 03:09

There's earlier version of You Gotta Move than the McDowell ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 1, 2017 04:01

Yes Rockman this is true and I believe we've gone through all that already somehere back in time.
But the Stones version seems to be based on and comes closest to the McDowell version vs. all the previous versions - all of which I like better than the Stones version also.

LeonidP
Hairball
Truth be told, I was never a huge fan of the Stones' version of You Gotta Move - it's a bit contrived, and is a shadow of the Mississippi Fred McDowell version IMO...

"truth be told"? ... so you were really listening much to the original before you heard the Stones version? ... c'mon, now, tell the 'truth'.

That's not what I meant, but let me clarify for you. I never was a fan of the Stones version even before I ever heard any of the earlier versions period. It was (and still is) the weakest track on Sticky Fingers imo
Then when I did hear the McDowell version, I was by then getting heavily into the original blues musicians. I liked his version alot....I actually loved it alot - especially when compared to the Stones version.
There's something deep and genuine about McDowells vocals and guitar that seems to be lacking in the plodding Stones version which within the context of Sticky Fingers is weak in comparison.
That is the truth, and nothing but the truth so help me God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-01 04:04 by Hairball.

Date: May 1, 2017 11:46

Love Fred's guitar. His constant swallowing of words, not so much..

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 1, 2017 13:06

No matter how fascinating your dialogue is, You Gotta Move should be at Track Talk.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 1, 2017 14:19

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

I had to do a double take and re-read it, but then realized you're being serious and I'll respect your opinion.

thumbs up

Truth be told, I was never a huge fan of the Stones' version of You Gotta Move - it's a bit contrived, and is a shadow of the Mississippi Fred McDowell version IMO.
But the Stones' cover of Prodigal Son is essential in it's minimalist bare-bones acoustic attack, as is their original Parachute Woman which chugs along with perfection.
The production on both is of the highest quality, bringing out the best of the performances and putting you right there in the room with them. Hoodoo Blues..................no comment.

I agree with you. There is a live version of You Gotta Move though, from somwehere in the 70s, with an extended intro by Keith, which is much better.

Date: May 1, 2017 16:27

matxil
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

I agree with you. There is a live version of You Gotta Move though, from somwehere in the 70s, with an extended intro by Keith, which is much better.

There are three smiling smiley LYL + the two versions from LA Friday.

Date: May 1, 2017 16:27

JJHMick
No matter how fascinating your dialogue is, You Gotta Move should be at Track Talk.

I agree. Let's stay on topic.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 1, 2017 16:48

matxil
GasLightStreet

[...]
The failure to grasp the level of BLUE AND LONESOME amongst their discography is yours. In years to come it will be viewed as a very important album.
[...]

I might be dim too, but I am also curious: in what way do you think Blue&Lonesome will be viewed as a very important album? (Except for the case when it's their last.) You think in 50 years the album will still be mentioned by anyone?

Yes, actually. Aside from it being a 'return to their roots' and that they somehow managed to cull a bunch of covers into an LP and then decide 9 months later that, 'hey, it's pretty good, we should release an album' and almost a year later it's released:

It's a damn good album. And certainly better since anything they've done since 1981.

Is that because it's blues? Maybe.
Is that because it's covers? Maybe.
But certainly because it's good and possibly great.

Mick could very easily do a blues album.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: May 5, 2017 13:48

Main page updated with Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) with Buddy Guy.

Date: May 5, 2017 13:54

kowalski
Main page updated with Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) with Buddy Guy.

I didn't find Nothing But The Wheel (With Peter Wolf on the album «Sleepless») or Pretty Lady (from Wolf's «Lights Out»-album) on your list.

More info on Mick guesting here.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 6, 2017 23:10

Doxa
Okay, here we ago again... Back in the 'real' business. Took some time but I finally hade enough time and interest to re-listen the album that is the most critically acclaimed of any Jagger solo efforts. So ladies and gents, please welcome...

WANDERING SPIRIT

"Wired All Night". Jagger starts with an energetic, but a bit generic rocker, as he had done in the previous albums, and the mpression is not that different either from starting STEEL WHEELS with "Sad Sad Sad". Anyway, the deal of the album is introduced here: the synths and all that latest studio gimmicks of PRIMITIVE COOL are gone, and 'back to the good old production ideals', to the very pleasure of his potential listeners. As far as good rocking goes, the result actually - and surprisingly now and then - sounds better and more tight than anything the Stones had done in STEEL WHEELS.

"Sweet Thing": aah, a funky dance tune, that's solo Jagger at his best we get to know in SHE'S THE BOSS and PRIMITIVE COOL. What is typical with this kind of 'make your ass move' music that it doesn't allow any kind of sloppiness or "wobble" (now matter how enjoyable the latter is in some other contexts); the groove must be tight and hell and each musician in the same synch. That's why Jagger succeeds here better than ever with the Stones. Sorry Charlie.

"Out of Focus": a melodic dance tune, with full of funny and interesting musical decisions structurewise, most of them working mighty fine and naturally. A joyful piece. Always been one of my favourites, and still is.

"Don't Tear Me Up": a Stones type melodic piece. building up the tension, not far from the landscapes of "Worried About You" (hmm.. I almost was waiting a Taylor/Perkins type of solo to arrive in a certain place). Jagger's freshness, in delivery, once again, is notable. There are, though, some Jaggerish cliches in the musical structure, including the key phrase (but it could be that they weren't such explicit still at the time this was released but due his later doings).

"You Put Me on the Trash": jeez... back to the 70's bubble gum boogie glam rock.. Totally forgettable stuff, but such a joy to listen as far as it lasts. Jagger really can make a fun party going on.

"Use Me": basically there is nothing wrong with this funky cover track, but for some reason it doesn't work for me. Lenny's voice sounds good, and perhaps more in place, but Jagger tries a bit too much (and finally ends up repeating that mid-80's banal over-yelling). A bit of filler.

"Evening Gown". Oh my god, this is a real gem. Had been released under the brand of the Stones, this would have been a modern classic and a warhorse. Not that the Stones could have made it any better, it is perfect as it is here. Jagger's voice shines in its total glory. Don't give a shit what the people in Nashville might think, but to my ears that cold and distant but rich English voice full of wit and irony is just a killer.

"Mother of Man": Another Stonesian semi-speed riff-guided blues-based rocker, relying on a strong groove. Nothing wrong here, but probably this is one of those rare instances in the album that the shadow of glory past of the Stones comes through, and one starts to miss Jagger's other band... Always nice to hear Jagger playing blues harp.

"Think": here Jagger doesn't even try to copy the Stones, but lets the band rock as hard as it can by its means and fortes. Those faster than shit 80's type of hard rock guitar licks sound funnily freshing, but let's say, this unique presentation is enough for me...

"Wandering Spirit": a cool track; starts nakedly, a bit like the blues number in STEEL WHEELS, but builds up to achieve Exilean kind of messy gospelian spheres. I didn't like so much of it initially 'back then', but now I think it as one of album's highlights. I didn't recall how good it is.

"Hang On Me Tonight": "My cards are on the table" haha... nicely written pop ballad, but probably a bit too obvious - still sounding better and fresher than any of his attempts in the genre ever since. I am not a producer, but would it have been a bit more effective if the tempo had been a bit slower? A bit over-produced.

"I've Been Lonely For So Long": second cover here, but like with "Ain't Too proud To Beg" already ages earlier, asks a bit 'what's the point to release if there is much to add'? Yeah, Jagger's voice makes the difference, but could any of the Red Devils blues tracks worked better here? So a filler. A good song though.

"Angel In My Heart": oh gosh... The baroque pop of "Lady Jane" is back, Jagger trying to forget all he had learned from the devil music, and the old dirty bastard trying to behave his best as an innocent school boy stemming up from the civic European cultural background ("No sex, we are English")... We didn't see this coming at the time, did we?). Funny as hell, but still a bit artificial, though. And yeah, Jagger goes a bit too much over the top...

"Handsome Molly". Another total surprise (and a third cover) The "Wild Colonial Boy" is back? Like with "Angel In My eart" the aim for Monty Pythonian difference is more important the actual quality. Even though I like very much the idea of both of these tunes, if put my hand on the bible, could I really listen to these two more than a couple of times?

Some over-all impressions:

WANDERING SPIRIT is over-all a pretty light-hearted album. Jagger sounds relaxed, and as I recalled, not so much trying as he did in his previous albums. But probably due that attitude, some of the ambition, especially of PRIMITIVE COOL, is missing, and in the long run, I think this album is not so interesting as the previous ones. This especially applies to the lyrical content, and Jagger does not sound interested in disclosing of any his 'inner self' he at least to an extent tried in PRIMITIVE COOL. Relying surprisingly much (for Jagger) on 'retro', it is more like a statement of showing his abilities and competence in whatever. That he still 'got it'. It offers stylistical difference a lot, even ecclectism, but instead of presenting something actually novel, the impression is more like: 'wow, Jagger hasn't done that for ages'. (He would continue that 'going back and re-doing 'good ole genres' in VOODOO LOUNGE but I think with much less inspired results.)

As a singer and interpreter Jagger doesn't add anything he had offered in PRIMITIVE COOL, but here he more like applies to different contexts that achieved and trained voice effectively thorough the album. A sad note: he probably would never sound so strong again as he does here.

One thing I especially like about the album is that Mick is much more on the same page with his 'backing band' as he was in his previous albums. The over-all impression is tight and coherent in each track. Probably the choice of the musicians not being 'all star' people and big names, but just compenent studio hacks doing what is needed and suited, has something to do with it. Of course, the rather conservative and 'hold your horses a bit' production policy, like the 80s' had never happened, serves the impression as well. Even the difference to STEEL WHEELS is a huge one.

Compared generally to the Stones albums at the time, especially STEEL WHEELS and VOODOO LOUNGE, of which is not so distant musicwise, it manages, me thinks, clearly better. As known, WANDERING SPIRIT is pretty close to standard Stones, Mick just using different musicians, but I think that exactly is the strenght and point of this album. I've been thinking how on earth is that possible - Jagger being able to make better sounding Stones music by his own than with the Stones. A theory I came up with is: especially in VOODOO LOUNGE (but that started already in STEEL WHEELS, and has continued ever since), the Stones production policy and sound relies too much on their distinctive trademark sound - Keith needs to be sound so signature Keith as possible, Charlie as Charlie as possible, then Ronnie adding so typical Stones-sounding licks, etc. etc. This emphasis on 'trademark/signature sound' goes beyond the songs themselves, it is more important than the over-all impression of music, or, at worst, is the over-all impression of the whole thing. The effect to critical listeners as me is The Stones caricature-like aping themselves, The Stones making damn sure that it every damn listener noticing damn sure that it is the Stones - Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie - there (as I have subtitled especially VOODOO LOUNGE: "Stones For Dummies"). In WANDERING SPIRIT the band, and their specific features and distinctive, signature sounds, is not more important the songs, the music itself. Everything in musicianhip is done to suit the songs best. I think it would take for the Stones until BLUE & LONESOME to come up with such coherence, the song-goes-first-attitude, again.

Yeah, I agree with general 'truth' that WANDERING SPIRIT is over-all Jagger's best solo album (and probably even with Keith's TALK IS CHEAP the best Stones-related album since UNDERCOVER), but I don't think with such a big marginal as it is many times evaluated. I think it is a bit too ecclectic album, especially the last couple of tracks lost the focus a bit, no matter how surprising and interesting an sich they are. But even though there are some problems with the 'flow' - the songs being so different in genre doesn't support each other sometimes too well, and the choice of certain cuts, especially of the covers, is a bit questionable - it is an album, and most probably due its very ecclectism, that doesn't bore me at all, for sure.

- Doxa

I have wondered. No comments to the quoted post. Everybody in agreement to everything?

Edit: A misprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-07 09:01 by Witness.

Date: May 7, 2017 16:40

Witness

I have wondered. No comments to the quoted post. Everybody in agreement to everything?

I try to imagine how "Wired all Night" would have sounded if it was played during the 1972 tour.

Posted by: mckalk ()
Date: May 8, 2017 07:52

I heard "Lucky in Love" on satellite radio today. I guess it's been 30 years since I last heard it. More pop than the Stones, but not bad.

Date: May 8, 2017 11:43

Witness
Doxa
[...]
WANDERING SPIRIT
[...]

I wouldn't know so I can't comment on it either. I cannot listen to the damn thing. I tried a couple of times, after reading the positive reviews here on the forum but I never made it through the entire album.

Date: May 8, 2017 14:51

I think it's an excellent album, apart from the pedestrian standard Mother Of A Man, the Hang Fire-pastiche Put Me In The Trash and the boring Hang On To Me Tonight.

However, it is the slower stuff that really excites me on Wandering Spirit + the excellent single, Sweet Thing (The best solo track from a Stone ever. Paradoxiacally enough, Mick succeeded with that with a «contemporary-sounding» tune smiling smiley ).

To be a little critical: The album doesn't sound like a «band album». It's all over the place with different musical styles and production compromises (a hint of what to come on B2B ). I think they try to sound as Stonesy as they can on the rockers, without really succeeding. It's nice and enjoyable, but not Stonesy enough for this listener. The best rockers are Wandering Spirit and Wired All Night, imo, especially the former.

Favourites:

Sweet Thing
Don't Tear Me Up
Evening Gown
Angel In My Heart
Handsome Molly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 15:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2017 16:44

DandelionPowderman
I think it's an excellent album, apart from the pedestrian standard Mother Of A Man, the Hang Fire-pastiche Put Me In The Trash and the boring Hang On To Me Tonight.

However, it is the slower stuff that really excites me on Wandering Spirit + the excellent single, Sweet Thing (The best solo track from a Stone ever. Paradoxiacally enough, Mick succeeded with that with a «contemporary-sounding» tune smiling smiley ).

To be a little critical: The album doesn't sound like a «band album». It's all over the place with different musical styles and production compromises (a hint of what to come on B2B ). I think they try to sound as Stonesy as they can on the rockers, without really succeeding. It's nice and enjoyable, but not Stonesy enough for this listener. The best rockers are Wandering Spirit and Wired All Night, imo, especially the former.

Favourites:

Sweet Thing
Don't Tear Me Up
Evening Gown
Angel In My Heart
Handsome Molly

Pretty similar review as mine - I, for example, agree that the slower stuff works best in the album. Generally in regards to Jagger's solo stuff I think the weakest section tends to be the rockers - probably because (a) that's kind of stuff the Stones have perfected ages ago, and anything Jagger does is a bit 'by-numbers', and (b) there the comparison to the Stones - and the lack of 'Stonesy' element - is most obvious. I would also add that Jagger solo is also best - and artistically 'justified' - in funky dance numbers (many cuts in SHE'S THE BOSS plus "Peace For The Wicked" and "Sweet Thing") - something he has not succeeded too well with the Stones since the late 70's (and even back then, with things like "Hot Stuff", "Miss You", "Emotional Rescue", or "Dance" the greatness of it being sounding so funnily 'Stonesy'..).

But "Put Me On The Trash" being "Hang Fire"-pastiche? That's I don't quite hear that - yeah, there is that "doo doo doo doo"- thing in there, but I find the context, melody and the whole feel/idea rather different. I think "Hang Fire" is closer to "Born To Run" than "Trash" to "Hang Fire"...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-08 16:47 by Doxa.

Date: May 8, 2017 17:16

An ultra-easy rocker with doo-wop vocals, performed in a semi-Stonesy way (Witness' favourite, probably grinning smiley ) leads my thoughts to Hang Fire right away smiling smiley

I think Sweet Thing is the only great contemporary-sounding track he succeeded in making as a solo artists. The ballads (and Secrets) are the only stuff I really like on his albums. Some up-tempo pop songs, like Vision Of Paradise and Dancing In The Starlight are okay, too.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 8, 2017 18:29

Mick´s solo-ballads are mostly awful, not really worth listening and so are his ballads with the Stones on the last couple of albums (Always Suffering,Already Over Me, New Faces, Blinded By Rainbows, Out Of Tears, Streets Of Love etc). Imo, the last time he succeeded in singing a ballad was Memory Motel, some 40 years ago.

Wandering Spirit is his most enjoyable solo-album of course, nevertheless - it starts great and finishes awful.

Best songs: Wired All Night, Sweet Thing, Use Me, Evening Gown, Mother Of A Man, Think, Wandering Spirit are pure delight to this listener´s ears.

Ok-songs: Don´t Tear Me Up, Put Me In The Trash, Hang On To Me Tonight.

Songs I would love to see in the studio´s garbage can: Out Of Focus, Angel In My Heart, Handsome Molly, I´ve Been Lonely For So Long.

Wandering Spirit is - imo - the most rewarding album by any Stones-member (as far as I know their output as individual artists). It´s Mick´s best and clearly beats everything Keith has done (or ever will do). Very very good album, could have a been a great 10-track-album.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: May 8, 2017 18:32

Also I wonder at "Put Me in the Trash" as allegedly derived from "Hang Fire". The first one quite moderate to me, whereas I find the released album version of "Hang Fire" irritating.

Favourites for me, apart from "Don't Tear Me Up" especially, also include "Out of Focus".

Then I had a comment earlier on by the way, but may have drowned in exhanges about BLUE AND LONESOME.

Date: May 8, 2017 18:55

matxil
Witness
Doxa
[...]
WANDERING SPIRIT
[...]

I wouldn't know so I can't comment on it either. I cannot listen to the damn thing. I tried a couple of times, after reading the positive reviews here on the forum but I never made it through the entire album.

Other than the fact that it's Mick Jagger on vocals, there's no reason why I would ever listen to this album ever again. There's simply no real redeeming qualities to any of it. Life's too short to force yourself into liking something when it clearly leads to a dead end. Dare I say, his bits on Superheavy might be better than anything on Wandering Spirit? That being said, I respect the opinions of those who do like it - or just some of it.

Date: May 9, 2017 11:26

Hairball
matxil
Witness
Doxa
[...]
WANDERING SPIRIT
[...]

Other than the fact that it's Mick Jagger on vocals, there's no reason why I would ever listen to this album ever again. There's simply no real redeeming qualities to any of it. Life's too short to force yourself into liking something when it clearly leads to a dead end. Dare I say, his bits on Superheavy might be better than anything on Wandering Spirit? That being said, I respect the opinions of those who do like it - or just some of it.

I couldn't make it through the Superheavy album either, but the song "Mysterious Man" (or something like that, "Magician Man" maybe?) indeed I like better than anything on Wandering Spirit with the possible exception of "Sweet Thing" which isn't so bad either. Pop-rock-pop, that's a genre I really don't like.

Date: May 9, 2017 11:31

matxil
Hairball
matxil
Witness
Doxa
[...]
WANDERING SPIRIT
[...]

I couldn't make it through the Superheavy album either, but the song "Mysterious Man" (or something like that, "Magician Man" maybe?) indeed I like better than anything on Wandering Spirit with the possible exception of "Sweet Thing" which isn't so bad either. Pop-rock-pop, that's a genre I really don't like.

Miracle Worker?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 67

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home