Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 51
Re: Totally Stripped
Date: July 6, 2016 13:14

boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
This is interesting because of the diverse set list and it contains arguably some of the best shows with Ronnie but it is not as good as Brussels Affair, Live At Leeds 1971, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out or Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones in my opinion.

It's better than Leeds and L&G, imo.

Not even close. This was the start of the "Vegas Years".

There is nothing Vegas about the Paradiso show. It's brilliant and great-sounding.

L&G and Leeds are not brilliant shows. Those are muddy-sounding on par shows.

Had you said Mobile 1972 and Roundhouse 1971 I'd have agreed with you performance-wise, though.

The recording technology was worse back then so the shows sound worse but the performances are better. They are more exciting. Some of the material from Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones supposedly comprised the unreleased 1972 live album. Many consider that to be one the best bootlegs of all time along with Leeds 1971 (Get Your Leeds Lungs Out).

I can't see why, as there are many superior shows out there from those tours.

The performance on L&G is lazy, except for a beautiful Love In Vain, compared to other shows. And Roundhouse blows Leeds out of the water.

My point is by comparing you'll lose the joy of the music. Enjoy what you got, and Parasido is a damn good show that has nothing to do with the stadium hysteria that created the so-called Vegas Stones.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 6, 2016 14:06

Blueranger
boogaloojef
bitusa2012
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef
This is interesting because of the diverse set list and it contains arguably some of the best shows with Ronnie but it is not as good as Brussels Affair, Live At Leeds 1971, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out or Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones in my opinion.

Respectfully, totally disagree. If raw, CLOSE, sweating Rolling Stones in these 3 smaller shows is Vegas, then their "Vegas" years started in 1963.

This is incredible stuff. Honest. Invigorating. Love the end of JJF from, is it Olympia?, that morphs into the beginning of Not Fade Away... Lovely.

They are some of the better shows with Ronnie but still no Bill or Stu.

And so what? Why can't you just enjoy the shows at it's own premise, instead of comparing it to something from different eras altogether? Bill, Stu or Taylor belongs to other times, with different songs, different aesthetics and different sound. There is absolutely no reason to compare shows from 1995 to shows from 1972, 78 or 89. It's different.
To hear the band in 1963 and in 1972 was also widely different.
I'll bet it's also a pain for you that the second Paradisio show isn't included, right?

I would have liked to have both Paradiso shows just because of the rarely played tracks in the other show. I already had soundboard bootlegs of both the Brixton and Paris shows.

I mentioned earlier that these are some of the better later Ronnie Wood era shows but they are not the end all be all that everyone is making them out to be. The reviews I have read generally rate the set as 3.5 to 4 out of 5. I can enjoy the set for what it is, a set of good later Ronnie Wood era shows with interesting set lists. The Circus Krone show from 2003 that I have is a similar situation but the performance is more ragged.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-06 14:17 by boogaloojef.

Date: July 6, 2016 14:17

No one has rated or reviewed the Paradiso show separately, though...

Date: July 6, 2016 14:19

They have mentioned the Paradiso show in their reviews of the set. Personally I think the acoustic portion is too long and slows the momentum of the show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-06 14:20 by boogaloojef.

Date: July 6, 2016 15:38

boogaloojef
They have mentioned the Paradiso show in their reviews of the set. Personally I think the acoustic portion is too long and slows the momentum of the show.

As the stripped down approach was the general idea behind the concept of these shows (as well as the album and the docu), I think that acoustic section was very nice.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 6, 2016 16:30

Regarding the post-Bill Stones, it seems that with VOODOO they were clearly forced to roll without him - and embraced it. By BRIDGES they were a pretty solid unit with Darryl, which probably peaked in 1999. LICKS saw the catalog being explored to what may be considered at decent level, if not then at least a good level with good intent.

Then it went away.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 6, 2016 16:35

tommycharles
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Couldn't disagree more. Each of the 89-03 tours had something interesting/unique/musically worthwhile about it, and I'd wager if they'd stopped then, we wouldn't be tarring the whole period with the Bigger Bang brush.

The only interesting thing about the 1989-90 tours was the cranked up version of Start Me Up, they still did a pretty decent Midnight Rambler (the fact that they played it at all is remarkable) and that they did 2000 Light Years From Home and, of course, some new songs, although Rock And A Hard Place was horrible.

Wiki says they played Indian Girl on that tour. I've never read such a thing!

Date: July 6, 2016 18:22

I reckon that was a bizarre mix up with Blinded By Love, which they indeed played.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 6, 2016 18:34

"Play With Fire" was also interesting in that tour

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 6, 2016 18:45

For me VL was a great tour and record. I love hearing 3 club shows finally, but would agree there's too many acoustic/country songs, for my liking too. Keeping in mind it's called "stripped" and those songs are played very well it's not rocking enough for me. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of fans enjoying these. So I made my own 15 song CD from my Blurays that I ripped, and I fricking love it like there's no tomorrow. So in the end I'm happy with the release. Must be hard at this point for them to please people like us. That's my thought.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 6, 2016 19:11

The Stones should have never recorded LIB and SF, then fans wouldn´t be so hard to please.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: July 6, 2016 20:02

frankotero
For me VL was a great tour and record. I love hearing 3 club shows finally, but would agree there's too many acoustic/country songs, for my liking too. Keeping in mind it's called "stripped" and those songs are played very well it's not rocking enough for me. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of fans enjoying these. So I made my own 15 song CD from my Blurays that I ripped, and I fricking love it like there's no tomorrow. So in the end I'm happy with the release. Must be hard at this point for them to please people like us. That's my thought.

I burned a cdr of my favorites as well. I think it might have worked better if they did an entire acoustic show.

Date: July 6, 2016 20:51

Ha-ha, thankfully they did record Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers. Both right there at the top of my favorites list. Believe me I'm well aware of the Exile fans. Sometimes it feels like a Beatles vs. Stones war.winking smiley

Posted by: Ale67 ()
Date: July 6, 2016 23:08

Wild Slivovitz
"Play With Fire" was also interesting in that tour

That was really fantastic!>grinning smiley<

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 10, 2016 18:31

Had mine delivered this morning from Amazon [Was shocked they deliver Sundays now} and am pondering which show to go with tonight. Do i go in order which would mean Amsterdam first? I think so. I must say it's packaged beautifully i can't stop gazing over at it.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 11, 2016 00:43

geordiestone
Had mine delivered this morning from Amazon [Was shocked they deliver Sundays now} and am pondering which show to go with tonight. Do i go in order which would mean Amsterdam first? I think so. I must say it's packaged beautifully i can't stop gazing over at it.

You must watch the Paradiso first, it is amazing! I have watched it seven times but haven't watched all of the L'Olympia dvd yet because it is so similar to Brixton...I really like the new documentary too!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 11, 2016 01:03

Mr.D
geordiestone

You must watch the Paradiso first, it is amazing! I have watched it seven times but haven't watched all of the L'Olympia dvd yet because it is so similar to Brixton...I really like the new documentary too!

thumbs up

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 11, 2016 04:09

Yeah i watched Paradiso, it was tremendous. Only bad point was it didn't last long enough.

Introduction by Ronnie Wood at Paradiso 1995
Date: July 17, 2016 17:15

What does Ronnie Wood say about Mick? Something about the canals of Amsterdam, but what exactly?

Re: Introduction by Ronnie Wood at Paradiso 1995
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 17, 2016 17:30

The way I understand it is too filthy even for me to type

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 17, 2016 18:35

"moistening the glistening canals of Amsterdam " ?

maybe he peed in it ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 17, 2016 22:32

Lien

maybe he peed in it ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes..., maybe....grinning smiley

There are different angels to it (for me) grinning smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 18, 2016 14:25

RipThisBone
Lien
There are different angels to it (for me) grinning smiley smileys with beer

Different sorts of canals too

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 20:26

Watched yesterday London, Paris, Amsterdam. Stunning. The Mick and Keith Connection was out of this world and the Amsterdam acoustic set, oh man! The band sounded tight but the right amount of looseness, and Mick's body was hot and a pleasure to look at. grinning smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: August 6, 2016 15:46

Yesterday I've finally watched the London gig and.....wow!!! i think it's the best of the lot. What an intense performance they delivered!!! I've read that some of you rate this gig as the least enjoyable of the set, but I disagree with that. Even though My favourite bit from the whole set is "Connection" from the Paradiso concert, the London gig is the one I like best overall.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2016 16:38

GasLightStreet
tommycharles
boogaloojef
DandelionPowderman
boogaloojef

Couldn't disagree more. Each of the 89-03 tours had something interesting/unique/musically worthwhile about it, and I'd wager if they'd stopped then, we wouldn't be tarring the whole period with the Bigger Bang brush.

The only interesting thing about the 1989-90 tours was the cranked up version of Start Me Up, they still did a pretty decent Midnight Rambler (the fact that they played it at all is remarkable) and that they did 2000 Light Years From Home and, of course, some new songs, although Rock And A Hard Place was horrible.

Wiki says they played Indian Girl on that tour. I've never read such a thing!

Good assessment. As Slivovitz mentioned, Play With Fire was interesting too. And what? No love for Ruby Tuesday? Factory Girl? I thought It's Only Rock and Roll was kind of Dick Clark embarrassing. I've never cared for the studio version of Rock and a Hard Place but I thought it worked well on the 1990 Tokyo Dome DVD. I loved them playing Midnight Rambler on the Steel Wheels tour. That magic the REAL Stones had formed some kind of golden circle when they were all thrashing away at their guitars and bass. I would have been sad at the time if I'd known that was the last I would ever see it on stage again.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 6, 2016 16:46

I have watched all these shows a few times now and as a pretty tough critic of the Stones as I can be sometimes (LOL), in my estimation, this is one of the best packages to be released in a long time. The reviews it has received on Amazon have been overwhelmingly positive. For me, the only improvement I would have made to this set is featuring the missing tunes from the 2nd Paradiso gig as bonus material at the end of the disc rather than adding the full second concert. Just my two cents.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 6, 2016 16:59

Has anybody compared the DVDs with Blurays? Is there a major video quality difference?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 6, 2016 19:37

People wrote above they made their own 'CDs' from the shows. What are the best songs? What is on your favorite's list? Thanks

Date: August 6, 2016 20:44

Not Fade Away-Paradiso
It's All Over Now-Paradiso
Tumbling Dice-Olympia
Live With Me-Paradiso
Monkey Man-Brixton
Gimme Shelter-Paradiso
Beast Of Burden-Paradiso
Meet Me In The Bottom-Olympia
Spider And The Fly-Paradiso
Connection-Paradiso
Slipping Away-Paradiso
Like A Rolling Stone-Brixton
I Go Wild-Olympia
Rip This Joint-Paradiso
Jumpin' Jack Flash-Olympia

After waisting almost 20 CD-R's, I finally came up with the perfect disc with beautiful transitions between songs. And got to save a lot of talk from Mick and Keith too. I used Wave Editor in the Nero Program to make the edits. Have fun making your own version. Kind of like doing this myself.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home