Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Which album is the Stones' most 'filler-free'?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 24, 2016 00:36

matxil
I don't think Exile on Main Street has filler. Neither does Let It Bleed, Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers.
On Some Girls, Lies is the only filler, and on Tattoo You, Hang Fire.
On Aftermath (UK), I would call Going Home a bit weak, but I don't think "filler" is the right word for it: "a daring thing to do that didn't work out and ended up funny buy a bit boring" maybe.

That's is the right answer..........except for going home...it's no filler the problem maybe is that it doesn't really fit with the rest of the songs...but still great

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 24, 2016 01:32

Bigger Bang...then the next one!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 24, 2016 02:00

I don't know what people mean by filler. Sub par to the rest of the LP? Ramblin Man by ABB was a throw in last minute as a filler. Carry On Wayward Son was a filler after Leftoverture by Kansas was finished. Lucky Man by ELP was a last minute filler.
Some sub par songs were recorded first. Its seams that people think that the lesser songs are recorded last to fill in space. Not true.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 02:22

buttons67
just over half the stones albums have filler but good and great songs amongst them,and the ones that dont will have song songs not up to the standard of others but still good anyway along with great.

the ones which have filler are

a bigger bang
bridges to babylon
voodoo lounge
steel wheels
dirtywork
undercover
emotional rescue
black and blue
goats head soup
satanic majesties
aftermath
out of our heads
rolling stones no 2
rolling stones

excellent list. surely you'd agree that IORR belongs on it too?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 24, 2016 02:44

buttons67
just over half the stones albums have filler but good and great songs amongst them,and the ones that dont will have song songs not up to the standard of others but still good anyway along with great.

the ones which have filler are

a bigger bang
bridges to babylon
voodoo lounge
steel wheels
dirtywork
undercover
emotional rescue
black and blue
goats head soup
satanic majesties
aftermath
out of our heads
rolling stones no 2
rolling stones

I would agree with a lot of your selections with the exception of Aftermath (in particular the shorter American release) which from start to finish is full of great tunes. Yes, the stand-out selections like Paint It Black and Under My Thumb may over-shadow the other lesser known tunes on there, but not only was this a full Jagger-Richards penned album (sands covers), but it really feels like a cohesive sounding effort. I would rate that album along with Beggars and Let It Bleed as "filler-free."

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: January 24, 2016 04:27

More Hot Rocks
I don't know what people mean by filler. Sub par to the rest of the LP? Ramblin Man by ABB was a throw in last minute as a filler. Carry On Wayward Son was a filler after Leftoverture by Kansas was finished. Lucky Man by ELP was a last minute filler.
Some sub par songs were recorded first. Its seams that people think that the lesser songs are recorded last to fill in space. Not true.

Good point.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: January 24, 2016 04:42

Taken as a whole I'd say;

Some Girls
Undercover
Sticky Fingers

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 24, 2016 06:22

I hate that term filler...it's so subjective as to be almost meaningless.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 24, 2016 07:16

latebloomer

Perfect

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 07:22

latebloomer

talking about how we feel about music is inherently subjective.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 10:07

This thread should be titled " what stones album is your most "least favourite song" free". so yeah Filler is a tough one but all these discussions are subjective Short and curlies is often mentioned in the same sentence as filler but I like it and would be good to hear live . My least favourite off that album would be AInt to proud to beg , but what would I know. Or replace "filler" with " Crap song".

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: January 24, 2016 12:15

Anitapal82
This thread should be titled " what stones album is your most "least favourite song" free". so yeah Filler is a tough one but all these discussions are subjective Short and curlies is often mentioned in the same sentence as filler but I like it and would be good to hear live . My least favourite off that album would be AInt to proud to beg , but what would I know. Or replace "filler" with " Crap song".

Fair enough. As I stated, lots of booze was involved. Filler is a crappy choice. And to add, I'd say Beggar's Banquet is damned close to perfect along with LiB.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 24, 2016 12:33

Filler that's what panel-beaters bog-up cars with ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 24, 2016 14:38

I don't have a problem with the word "filler". It stands for songs where the minimum amount of effort, inspiration and/or lucky accidents were involved. What you end up with then is a song any rock n roll band that would try sounding like the Stones would end up with. It's different from "bad song" in the sense that "Sweet Neocon" is bad, but no filler because no-one would ever come up with that to try to sound like the Stones. On the other hand, "Lies" or "Hand Of Fate" are alright, but close to filler, because there's nothing special about them. The worst is when a song is filler *and* bad, so you'd end up with "Don't Hold Back" or "Too Tight".

Date: January 24, 2016 15:50

It's been said more eloquently by others than me but it's too subjective beauty is in the eye of the beholder I love hand of fate and the guitar solo is superb , and too tight I really like . Stones by numbers but it's the stones being the stones Maybe their first album is the most filler free. Everything brand new and let's put our very best efforts out there , the opposite of filler !

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 24, 2016 16:00

Turner68
latebloomer

talking about how we feel about music is inherently subjective.

You are right Turner, and I know it's just a word. But it's always bugged me because to call something filler seems too dismissive, as if they intentionally didn't put any effort into it or something.

Anyhow, ignore my outburst everyone and carry on...the snow was making me edgy last night, but the sun is back today and, with any luck, I'll be dug out by next week...we got almost 3 feet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-24 16:07 by latebloomer.

Date: January 24, 2016 16:04

I am starting a new thread. What is the most filler song ? Answer. Goin home off aftermath, 11 mins of not much. And yes StonedAsia booze is involved

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: January 24, 2016 16:33

matxil
I don't have a problem with the word "filler". It stands for songs where the minimum amount of effort, inspiration and/or lucky accidents were involved. What you end up with then is a song any rock n roll band that would try sounding like the Stones would end up with. It's different from "bad song" in the sense that "Sweet Neocon" is bad, but no filler because no-one would ever come up with that to try to sound like the Stones. On the other hand, "Lies" or "Hand Of Fate" are alright, but close to filler, because there's nothing special about them. The worst is when a song is filler *and* bad, so you'd end up with "Don't Hold Back" or "Too Tight".

Agree on that definition of a filler. You could also add to your definition that a filler is a song that was thrown in to make an album longer (or long enough) and doesn`t sound like the rest of the album.

Imo "Lies" is not a filler. To me SG has no fillers. And all in all there are few examples of fillers on any Stonesalbum. Imo..... cool smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 24, 2016 16:37

KRiffhard
ABB!!! The filler album!

in that case why should they record a new one?.... what exactly has/does KR bring in terms of new music?...is he spent after Crosseyed Heart....more country ballads?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 24, 2016 17:18

Hard to define what a filler is.

To me (personally) a filler is a song that I dont like (can be considered as great by others though), a song that is (imo) clearly worse than other songs on the album, a song that doesnt mean anything to me or a song that is simply unpleasing in one way or another, songs I have "to go through" without enjoying them. Examples are Sweethearts Together, Blinded By Love, Rock And A Hard Place, Baby Break It Down, a handful of songs from Exile, Infamy, Moonlight Mile, Continental Drift, Waiting On A Friend, Cant Be Seen to name a few...

Too tight for instance is a song that I really like, but others see it as filler. But who knows if it took them really only half an hour to write and record it, they might as well have worked really hard on it, who knows. I am enjoying Sweet Neo Con as well as Hand Of Fate, so I would never call these songs fillers although Hand Of Fate might be one by definition.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 24, 2016 17:57

gibsonman's additional definition, and that only, supplies the adequate definition. Then in a former thread about what is a filler, I think it was the poster stonehearted, who referred to possibly the only filler of the Stones. That is, filler in letter, not in spirit. This song was on their first album, THE ROLLING STONES (UK), when they needed one more song to finish the album and made "Now I've Got A Witness", which technically was a filler. But it is a brilliant track.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 24, 2016 18:07

Exile is basically one long filler fest centered round one semi-hit. No, the songs are not really fillers but many of them would be considered as fillers had they been on Let it Bleed.

Let it bleed is 100% filler free. IORR has one filler: S&Q. B&B has one: Cherry oh baby.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: January 24, 2016 19:35

'Filler' to me are songs that most people skip over when playing either a record or CD which also puts them into the 'not as good as the others' category. I;ve always skipped over "Lies" on Some Girls for example....maybe the only filler song on that great album. Over forty years I still play only 3 albums from start to finish without any thought of skipping a song...Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile...Ya'Ta's for a live album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 25, 2016 01:13

the first album that had some filler was TSMR...half maybe, but the good songs were truly great, lifting the album out of mediocrity.

I think GHS was about 1/3 filler...not good coming out of the big four. Short & Curlies was filler. Cherry Oh Baby was filler. Lies was filler. Little Indian Girl was filler. Neighbours was filler. Dirty Work was all filler...no wait, One Hit To The Body was good...no, that was also filler. Steel Wheels works surprisingly well, but production is way too slick.

Voodoo Lounge was 1/3 filler, Bridges was half filler, and half really good. The four new 'licks' cuts were all filler.

ABB just needed to lose 4 or 5 cuts and include Under The Radar.

Doom & Gloom b/w One More Shot was 1/2 filler...I'm not going to say which half was filler, cuz I don't want to activate the Keithists.

ok, so not surprisingly Dirty Work wins for the most filler.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: January 25, 2016 02:17

treaclefingers
the first album that had some filler was TSMR...half maybe, but the good songs were truly great, lifting the album out of mediocrity.

I think GHS was about 1/3 filler...not good coming out of the big four. Short & Curlies was filler. Cherry Oh Baby was filler. Lies was filler. Little Indian Girl was filler. Neighbours was filler. Dirty Work was all filler...no wait, One Hit To The Body was good...no, that was also filler. Steel Wheels works surprisingly well, but production is way too slick.

Voodoo Lounge was 1/3 filler, Bridges was half filler, and half really good. The four new 'licks' cuts were all filler.

ABB just needed to lose 4 or 5 cuts and include Under The Radar.

Doom & Gloom b/w One More Shot was 1/2 filler...I'm not going to say which half was filler, cuz I don't want to activate the Keithists.

ok, so not surprisingly Dirty Work wins for the most filler.

hahah and don't you know they will hunt you down

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 16:28

No fill albums: Exile. Every song on that albums is a part of the whole, and essential. Beggars. Let it Bleed. Sticky Fingers. Some Girls. Each of those albums may have a song someone doesn't like, but nothing filler. All essential for the full mood, feel, and atmosphere of the whole.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 26, 2016 01:49

swimtothemoon
Black and Blue?

Sarcasm?

Date: January 26, 2016 01:53

All Killer, No Filler!

Those first few albums have redeeming qualities to all songs, I'd say to all of the songs.

I think none of Exile is filler. I like all of Beggar's Banquet, I guess I've seen said on this forum, that "Dear Doctor" is filler. I always got by it okay and I think Jigsaw Puzzle is actually a darn good song, I've seen that mentioned.

Date: January 26, 2016 04:01

I can't speak for everyone but having listened to a lot of reggae,

Cherry Oh Baby is not filler, it goes with some of the tropical graphics of the B and B release, the picture on the beach, the record label with the moon over head. I think I heard the original too, it's a bit of a party song. I really like the organ.

That's just me.

Posted by: pdw ()
Date: January 26, 2016 05:51

My vote is Flowers. I love that album. I know now it was US only but didn't when it was released when I was a teen.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home