Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Which album is the Stones' most 'filler-free'?
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 27, 2016 21:41

CousinC
Sticky Fingers, Beggars B. and Let it bleed.

Country Honk is a filler for sure. Its a poor remake of an already released song. I would say Love in Vain is also a filler.

YOu Gotta Move is also the definition of a Filler.

Jigsaw Puzzle is awful but wouldn't call it a filler because at least they tried.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 27, 2016 22:05

Country Honk is so NOT filler, I adore Jigsaw puzzle...as I adore You Gotta Move, especially live...

Anyway there you go, what you like is what you like...

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: January 27, 2016 22:06

Following this tread make me consider whether the term "filler" could mean two things: a song thrown in on an album by the artist to make the album longer (or long enough) or a song you skip every time you listen to the album because it doesn`t mean anything to you. So to discuss whether a song is a filler or not you have to define what a filler means to you....

Imo the worst kind of a filler is a coversong that is nothing special compared to the original. It`s just an easy way to get more songs on an album...

To call a song like Angie a filler you must for sure define a filler as a song that doesn`t mean anything to you. Imo.... smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 27, 2016 22:21

Angie is a dreadful song indeed, at least to my ears, but surely it´s not a filler. I dont think they recorded it to make the album longer, they tried hard to pull out a smash hit and they succeeded, like it or not.

Although we´ve heard some nice definitions regarding what a filler is, it seems most people still call songs they dont like "filler".

Jigsaw Puzzle for instance I consider an outstanding, highlightning track on BB. Dear Doctor sounds more like "filler" to me. The "filler-problem" generally came with the compact-disc-age. Many artists, not only the Stones, felt obliged to "fill" the new medium, more often than not with very medicre song-material that would have never made it on a LP.

Date: January 28, 2016 03:19

guyrachel
Country Honk is so NOT filler, I adore Jigsaw puzzle...as I adore You Gotta Move, especially live...

Anyway there you go, what you like is what you like...

You don't get it. Not surprised on a music board. Its not about personal taste. I already said while I hate Jizsaw puzzle I don't consider it filler because at least they tried.

Country Honk is just a much poorer remake of a song they already released. I don't many at all consider it to be anywhere near the original. That is a definition of a filler. They had no good ideas so threw in a cheap remake. I don't care of you like it thats not the point.

Same with You Gotta move. Its just a quick cheap remake..

I also like it live but thats besides the point.

Date: January 28, 2016 09:05

You Gotta Move is not a cheap remake. It's probably the closest they've been to authentic blues. I agree about CH, though, even though I like it.

Jigsaw Puzzle is an excellent track. They experimented - and succeeded, imo.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2016 09:51

DandelionPowderman
You Gotta Move is not a cheap remake. It's probably the closest they've been to authentic blues. I agree about CH, though, even though I like it.

You gotta move is brilliant, but with a sligthest move forwards to soul to my ears...

Parachute Woman on the other hand, that's blues, English White mens blues to be presice....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 28, 2016 11:26

Maybe one should narrow down the definition of filler a bit. I agree that in principle filler has nothing to do with liking or not liking a song. Filler is a song clearly made to "fill" (hence the word) an album, with the least possible effort. Clear examples are "Now I Got A Witness" (on their first), or "It's Alright". (Which I both rather like, by the way.)
However, some songs might have be intended as filler (i.e.: "let's do something easy and straightforward because we need an extra song") but end up being played so well and sounding so good, that calling it "filler" simply doesn't give enough credit to what it ended up to be (maybe by luck). I think "Country Honk" and "You Gotta Move" fall into that category. Hell, even "Stop Breaking Down" is a rather easy way of playing the Robert Johnson original, but most will agree that it sounds so great that no way it can be called "filler".
So, in the end, "filler" might have an element of "to fill the album" in it, but also an - more subjective - qualitative element. In that sense, it's easy to see why on BB, LiB, SF, EOMS, we are all quite hesitant to call anything filler, it's simply too good for that.

[/end of my early morning babble]

Date: January 28, 2016 11:36

Come On
DandelionPowderman

You gotta move is brilliant, but with a sligthest move forwards to soul to my ears...

Parachute Woman on the other hand, that's blues, English White mens blues to be presice....

Delta gospel blues all the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-28 11:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 28, 2016 12:53

DandelionPowderman
Come On
DandelionPowderman

Delta gospel blues all the way.

Yeah, Delta Gospel Blues....but that's not like BB King with 'The Thrill is Gone'...which is Blues in the purest...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2016 17:18

Alright, Angie removed from being filler. It's just shit, not filler. Heavily produced shit at that.

Delta blues... an interesting concept seeing that the delta is at the end of the river where no one can live and not hundreds of miles upriver, which is where all that is in Mississippi that is called 'delta blues' when really it's floodplain blues.

Date: January 28, 2016 17:29

Come On
DandelionPowderman

I know everything is brilliant on a music message board.

Its a remake with nothing new. Doesn't sound like they are trying hard at all. Sounds like it was thrown in quickly. And there is a reason they played it so differently live.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 12:47

I would say let it bleed is the album where I least frequently skip over a track

Date: February 3, 2016 13:51

At present, I wonder which album I don't skip to play...I know...I really feel for playing Metamorphosis, the complete disc...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 3, 2016 18:55

The most filler-free-Album? out of our heads or Aftermath

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 4, 2016 05:34

I like Black and Blue but I'm not sure about Hot Stuff which has not been mentioned but versus others, the rest of the songs are acceptable.

I would say Love in Vain is also a filler.

Must be a crying for attention.

Dude!

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: February 4, 2016 06:34

I know Exile was discussed here and it sounds like a novel idea, what if some Exile songs were on Sticky Fingers, would the album work as well.

Personally, I'd like to see side 3 of Exile as side 2 of Sticky Fingers and side 2 of Sticky Fingers as side 3 of Exile. That'd be wild.>grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2465
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home