Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Which album is the Stones' most 'filler-free'?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 26, 2016 06:09

alieb
treaclefingers
the first album that had some filler was TSMR...half maybe, but the good songs were truly great, lifting the album out of mediocrity.

I think GHS was about 1/3 filler...not good coming out of the big four. Short & Curlies was filler. Cherry Oh Baby was filler. Lies was filler. Little Indian Girl was filler. Neighbours was filler. Dirty Work was all filler...no wait, One Hit To The Body was good...no, that was also filler. Steel Wheels works surprisingly well, but production is way too slick.

Voodoo Lounge was 1/3 filler, Bridges was half filler, and half really good. The four new 'licks' cuts were all filler.

ABB just needed to lose 4 or 5 cuts and include Under The Radar.

Doom & Gloom b/w One More Shot was 1/2 filler...I'm not going to say which half was filler, cuz I don't want to activate the Keithists.

ok, so not surprisingly Dirty Work wins for the most filler.

hahah and don't you know they will hunt you down

they prolly know where i live anyhow!

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: January 26, 2016 08:58

Their most filler "song " has to be "we want the stones" composed by nanker phelge ! It's not even a song. Now that's filler !

Date: January 26, 2016 15:35

We Want The Stones is a classic! The next song, however, is just filler before Pain In My Heart winking smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 26, 2016 15:45

Stones filler = what we expect without being great.
Those exile tracks are not "fillers" IMO because its not what we expect..

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 26, 2016 15:50

Tattoo You.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 26, 2016 19:05

Redhotcarpet
Exile is basically one long filler fest centered round one semi-hit.

I was thinking kind of the same thing though almost every song is just short of being a hit, a very high level very cohesive set of very very good non-hit material.

Kind of a "taken in whole it's greater than the sum of it's parts" argument.

Date: January 26, 2016 19:13

Whether songs are filler on an album depends of the nature of the album. If there are three great hits on it, there is bound to be filler as well.

An album like Exile, without hits, has cohesiveness and flow - hence all the songs become equally important for its wholeness.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 26, 2016 22:14

J.J.Flash
Dirty Work is filler-full!

DIRTY WORK is strictly a contract filler!

Date: January 26, 2016 22:29

Filler is not a song one does not like, it's a song that sounds like they did it in their sleep or... it seems that next to no thought or work went in to it, it wasn't pushed along, it's actually a bad song, it was just done because... so on that note, as much as I can't stand It's Only Rock'N'Roll (But I Like It)...

I'm not sure about before and up to BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. All of those albums could have filler on them (except AFTERMATH) but it was probably genre based filler as opposed to 'we have to do this?' filler we got later on.

THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES all songs except Citadel, 2000 Man, Rainbow and Light Years
EXILE I Just Wanna See His Face, Sweet Black Angel
GOATS HEAD SOUP Angie
IORR Luxury, Short And Curlies
SOME GIRLS Respectable
EMOTIONAL RESCUE Send It To Me, Indian Girl, maybe Where The Boys Go - that one sounds like the kind of song they just fling off...
DIRTY WORK the entire album is filler
STEEL WHEELS Hold On To Your Hat, Can't Be Seen
VOODOO You Got Me Rocking, Sparks Will Fly, Sweethearts Together
BRIDGES Already Over Me, Gunface, Always Suffering, Might As Well Get Juiced
A BIGGER BANG Streets Of Love, Sweet Neo Con, Infamy, Oh No Not You Again

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 26, 2016 23:37

Sweet Black Angel and Angie classed as Fillers? grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 27, 2016 04:36

I get what "filler" is, one can get, say, a lot of bands' albums not to downtalk other bands but think, this doesn't have very many other good songs on it except the songs I bought the record for.

But with the Stones, "you gotta move" at the far end of side A and short and curlies, have always just been sort of there but I haven't thought of them as filler.

I'd think Between the Buttons probably should be said to have some filler, non-memorable songs imho.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: January 27, 2016 04:51

Angie a filler ? I don't think so. Filler , the word , is ridiculous . Its someone's opinion a song is liked or worth hearing or not. Whether it was recorded at the end of a session to "fill" an album or someone doesn't like it so it's called filler. This thread is bugging me . how about a new thread, titled stones songs I don't like and those I do . I will start. I can't stand goin home off aftermath . I am also sick of hearing " we want the stones " off the got live if you want it EP, it never really gets going ! Today I am liking though hand of fate and if you can't rock me .

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: January 27, 2016 09:44

Angie, Respectable and YGMR?!

Date: January 27, 2016 09:47

Come On

Of course not. Both songs are songs they put a lot of effort in making – either songwriting-wise or arrangement-wise.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 27, 2016 09:50

There are a couple of songs I'm not that fond of but I'd say Beggars is the only filler-free Stones album.

Beggars, Exile, Sticky, Gimme Shelter and the big singles (JJF & HTW, Miss You, Start Me Up) - that's the essential Stones. The rest is immature (the early stuff) or superfluous (thinK Dance Little Sister) or just plain crap (everything from Dirty Work onward). Three albums and some 45s - anyone who spends more than 50 bucks on this band's music is out of their head.

Date: January 27, 2016 10:21

Swayed1967
There are a couple of songs I'm not that fond of but I'd say Beggars is the only filler-free Stones album.

Beggars, Exile, Sticky, Gimme Shelter and the big singles (JJF & HTW, Miss You, Start Me Up) - that's the essential Stones. The rest is immature (the early stuff) or superfluous (thinK Dance Little Sister) or just plain crap (everything from Dirty Work onward). Three albums and some 45s - anyone who spends more than 50 bucks on this band's music is out of their head.

The album Gimme Shelter consists of lots of what you regard «immature songs» (For instance, the tracks from Got Live If You Want It). Surely you mean Let It Bleed? winking smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 27, 2016 10:35

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967

The album Gimme Shelter consists of lots of what you regard «immature songs» (For instance, the tracks from Got Live If You Want It). Surely you mean Let It Bleed? winking smiley

No, I mean the song Gimme Shelter which was never released as a single (or am I wrong about that?). The rest of Let It Bleed is OK but mediocre by comparison - non-essential in my opinion but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to own LIB as well.

Date: January 27, 2016 11:00

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967

No, I mean the song Gimme Shelter which was never released as a single (or am I wrong about that?). The rest of Let It Bleed is OK but mediocre by comparison - non-essential in my opinion but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to own LIB as well.

Ah, ok, I thought you were listing up the golden albums. My bad smiling smiley

There is no way around Midnight Rambler and You Can't Always Get What You Want being essential Stones, though (imo, of course).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 27, 2016 11:17

DandelionPowderman
Whether songs are filler on an album depends of the nature of the album. If there are three great hits on it, there is bound to be filler as well.

An album like Exile, without hits, has cohesiveness and flow - hence all the songs become equally important for its wholeness.

thumbs up

Date: January 27, 2016 11:26

Anitapal82
Angie a filler ? I don't think so. Filler , the word , is ridiculous . Its someone's opinion a song is liked or worth hearing or not. Whether it was recorded at the end of a session to "fill" an album or someone doesn't like it so it's called filler. This thread is bugging me . how about a new thread, titled stones songs I don't like and those I do . I will start. I can't stand goin home off aftermath . I am also sick of hearing " we want the stones " off the got live if you want it EP, it never really gets going ! Today I am liking though hand of fate and if you can't rock me .

Filler is not about whether you like the song or not. It's about whether it took some effort and has something new and fresh. Still, of course, that might be subjective to a certain extent.
But it's perfectly possible to like filler like "It's Alright" or dislike non-filler like "My Obsession".

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 27, 2016 11:45

matxil
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

So true...what song wouldn't be a filler on The Beatles album 'Help' except for some of their own songs...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 27, 2016 12:27

All this talk of "fillers" is really a kind of IORR'ian newspeak, where uninhibited subjectivism tries to cover itself under an assumed veil of pseudo-objectivity.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: January 27, 2016 12:29

Come On
matxil
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

So true...what song wouldn't be a filler on The Beatles album 'Help' except for some of their own songs...

An interesting comment because I was thinking of how one might apply this same question to other bands.

Date: January 27, 2016 14:31

BroomWagon
Come On
matxil
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

An interesting comment because I was thinking of how one might apply this same question to other bands.

"Her Majesty" on Abbey Road of the Beatles, is filler, but it's on purpose, I think, and meant as a joke anyway.
"Good Morning" on Sgt Pepper's I would call filler too (I don't like the rest of the album either, but definitely the rest is not filler).

"Fodderstompf" on Public Image: First Issue by PIL is filler, the band itself calls it that and it clearly is. It's also absolutely great and hilarious, and for me a highlight of that album. Actually the most perfect (and rare) example of how a song can be both filler and great.

Date: January 27, 2016 18:00

Come On

YES. I know they are dear, dear songs to some people but both of them are mindless, especially Angie.

Date: January 27, 2016 18:08

MacLaurens
Angie, Respectable and YGMR?!

Respectable is pedestrian by-the-numbers Chuck Berry 'oh look, we can make it fast and be like punk music but stay blues' boring. You Got Me Rocking makes Mixed Emotions seem like Gimme Shelter.

Angie... ahhhh, well, I have such a love/hate for that song. The music is brilliant, the rest of it is beyond smarm that, when I finally heard Through The Lonely Nights and Save Me - after knowing they didn't finish Waiting On A Friend and Tops - then yes, Angie is filler. Convenient filler. Atlantic wanted to release it as a single, Mick didn't. Makes me think Mick thought it was crap...

Like Angie, which is our single, is not the best track on the album, I don't think. But it doesn't matter.
- Charlie Watts, 1973

It's quite a straight schmaltzy pop tune, with the piano and string arrangement so prominent, which is probably why it was so popular in Latin countries at the time. It was definitely a change of pace for us, almost like a reaction to the harder sounds of Exile.
- Mick Jagger, 1993

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 27, 2016 18:58

GasLightStreet
Come On

YES. I know they are dear, dear songs to some people but both of them are mindless, especially Angie.

With your list of supposed fillers, we'll leave you for hours to listen on auto repeat to "Rock And A Hard Place"! Richly deserved!
tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: January 27, 2016 19:16

GasLightStreet
Filler is not a song one does not like, it's a song that sounds like they did it in their sleep or... it seems that next to no thought or work went in to it, it wasn't pushed along, it's actually a bad song, it was just done because... so on that note, as much as I can't stand It's Only Rock'N'Roll (But I Like It)...

I'm not sure about before and up to BETWEEN THE BUTTONS. All of those albums could have filler on them (except AFTERMATH) but it was probably genre based filler as opposed to 'we have to do this?' filler we got later on.

THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES all songs except Citadel, 2000 Man, Rainbow and Light Years
EXILE I Just Wanna See His Face, Sweet Black Angel
GOATS HEAD SOUP Angie
IORR Luxury, Short And Curlies
SOME GIRLS Respectable
EMOTIONAL RESCUE Send It To Me, Indian Girl, maybe Where The Boys Go - that one sounds like the kind of song they just fling off...
DIRTY WORK the entire album is filler
STEEL WHEELS Hold On To Your Hat, Can't Be Seen
VOODOO You Got Me Rocking, Sparks Will Fly, Sweethearts Together
BRIDGES Already Over Me, Gunface, Always Suffering, Might As Well Get Juiced
A BIGGER BANG Streets Of Love, Sweet Neo Con, Infamy, Oh No Not You Again

Awful list. Angie is a filler..LOL...

I think the songs on Exile that you list are as good as most songs on the album, and Respectable? I guess besides the killer guitar and good lyrics. You should be banned for a month for that one.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 27, 2016 19:47

Sticky Fingers, Beggars B. and Let it bleed.

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: January 27, 2016 21:34

LET IT BLEED

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2095
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home