Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Love You Live
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 21, 2016 12:18

What is meant by "sounding artificial?"

Do you mean we are hearing music that is not created by the use of instruments or human voices,
but by using equipment that makes it sound like it's coming from instruments or voices?
And if so, how does that fit into the sound we get to hear from Love You Live?

I don't understand any of this discussion. When I think of artificial sounds, I think
of cowbells played on keyboard (HTW 1989), of Micks high pitched voice (Get off of my cloud 2006)
or a French horn coming from a synthesizer. Maybe Billy Preston added some (unnecessary) sounds
to the songs during the 1975 tour in general, but that's been kept to a minimum on the
Love you live album.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 21, 2016 12:24

marcovandereijk
What is meant by "sounding artificial?"

Do you mean we are hearing music that is not created by the use of instruments or human voices,
but by using equipment that makes it sound like it's coming from instruments or voices?
And if so, how does that fit into the sound we get to hear from Love You Live?

I don't understand any of this discussion. When I think of artificial sounds, I think
of cowbells played on keyboard (HTW 1989), of Micks high pitched voice (Get off of my cloud 2006)
or a French horn coming from a synthesizer. Maybe Billy Preston added some (unnecessary) sounds
to the songs during the 1975 tour in general, but that's been kept to a minimum on the
Love you live album.

I believe the «artificialness» is within Mick's singing. Less sincere than, say in 1971. It became more of an act, a persona. Personally, I like it, but I understand what people are saying, as Mick is indeed slurring, shouting and posing his way through the songs. He became larger than life, and sounds that way, too smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 21, 2016 12:55

LOVE YOU LIVE is a great, maybe even too honest document what the Stones were like at the time: clearly starting to miss the point in their doings, a bit out of focus, creatively tired and exhausted, seemingly worried of starting to be a "nostalgia act", since there were alraedy several years from the days when they really painting the soundtrack of the times. But at the same time they as a band were still damn hot unit, having much experience and a new fresh guitarist in a band. What is great about the album is how clearly one can hear the state of matters back then: they still were artistically too honest to sounding nothing but a living and breathing band. They couldn't fake what they were.

I don't think the "Vegas Era" started already then but there were certain features of that already to be seen. The band seemingly needed to rest on material that we would now call "war horses". But their reflection to that is a rather different as it would be from 1989 on. It is a strange combination of 'do we still need to play these ones; we have done that already six-seven years' and 'shit, since we do, let's kick the shit out of them!'. Especially Jagger's infamous way of singing - which he even over-dubbed! - is a pure deconstruction. He sounded as little interested singing them 'right' or 'well' as the kids at the time were interested in hearing yesterday's hits, all those jumpinjackflashes, honkytonkwomens and sympathyforthedevils, any longer. Of course, their audience wanted to hear them, since because of them they came to see them. And didn't they already have YA-YA'S! to hear them 'properly' played?

Another thing is that they don't trust almost at all to their current material. Even the great El Mocambo side is a reflection of that: in order to make the album they needed to come up something different and unique to make the double album more exciting (than just to represent a normal, seemingly not enough exciting Stones gig). Which for them was going all the way back to their early cover days. Since the side is hailed as a fan favourite these days, it is easily forgetten that back in 1977 playing "Little Red Rooster" and "Around And Around" wasn't such a hailed artistic move, but more like the opposite: has the Stones totally lost it - they don't have anything else to say any longer?

The result is that LOVE YOU LIVE is a swan song in their 70's creative downhill into irrelevance starting with GOAT'S HEAD SOUP. There was no better argument than LOVE YOU LIVE for the Clash's claim that "No Stones in '77" or for anything the punk generation were bashing them at. A massive double album with so little to say was a statement that they actually were old farts.

BUt as it generally is with the Stones' mid-seventies material, the time has been very kind to it, and now looking LOVE YOU LIVE in retrospect, it catches the band in an unique moment in their career, they never sounding so sleazy, arrogant, decadent and everything. A pure 'fvck you' statement - it's pretty to hard to find any album representing so strongly the dirtiness of rock and roll with such an attitude. I don't find that 'artificial' - they sounding hollow, sloppy and 'by the numbers' occasionally is just a reflection of artistic frustration and confusion. So real. Of course, LA FORUM can be a better choice if we want to hear the band at its peak at the time, but the uneveness of LOVE YOU LIVE, with all its faults and everything, has its own charm. They don't do such artistic statemets out of live album concept any longer...

But listening to LOVE YOU LIVE one can see why SOME GIRLS turned out to be such a crucial album for them careerwise...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-21 13:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 21, 2016 13:02

DandelionPowderMan
I believe the «artificialness» is within Mick's singing.

If that's the point, I would bring in the case of "I've got the blues" on Sticky Fingers
as a starting point. Compare this to live renditions of Love in Vain from 1969 and 1970
and you'll hear how "artificial" emotions were introduced into the music.

But still, I don't care. Artificial or not, here's an artist at work who uses his voice
to move his audience (or get his audience moving).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 21, 2016 14:17

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderMan
I believe the «artificialness» is within Mick's singing.

If that's the point, I would bring in the case of "I've got the blues" on Sticky Fingers
as a starting point. Compare this to live renditions of Love in Vain from 1969 and 1970
and you'll hear how "artificial" emotions were introduced into the music.

But still, I don't care. Artificial or not, here's an artist at work who uses his voice
to move his audience (or get his audience moving).

Well, there was a certain «lack of singing» on the 75/76 tours that musically is a little different than your example. It's a love/hate thing. I love it. It suited the gigalomania, the heavy make up, the elephants on stage, the lotus flower etc. etc.

The decadence was real winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-21 14:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 21, 2016 18:42

Doxa
[Jagger] ...sounded as little interested singing them 'right' or 'well' as the kids at the time were interested in hearing yesterday's hits, all those jumpinjackflashes, honkytonkwomens and sympathyforthedevils, any longer. Of course, their audience wanted to hear them, since because of them they came to see them. And didn't they already have YA-YA'S! to hear them 'properly' played?
- Doxa

Today nobody can any more understand how legendary the Stones were back in 1976. It was exciting seeing them, almost an otherwordly experience for us kids! (The last time I felt like taht was on the 1982 tour with a great setlist).

Of course we were disappointed that they did not play their pre-1969 stuff (except for 'Get off of my cloud')! We would have appreciated some of the 'rarities' which they played at Knebworth. But even back then in 1976 we noticed Jagger's bad singing and pronouciation. Therefore, 'Fool to cry' was a highlight of the show, and '@#$%&' or 'Midnight rambler' were also very impressive. But then, 'Honky tonk women' or 'Jumping jack flash' suffered considerably, and 'Street fighting man' was one mess vocal-wise.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 7, 2016 16:56

I really like Love You Live - musically. I was initially surprised that Mick overdubbed his vocals because they're still very sloppy; guess that was intentional. But one point strikes me - By making Ya Ya's so good, they almost set themselves up to get knocked down for something like LYL, which is a more honest representation of how they sounded live, despite the overdubs. Ya Ya's sounds much more polished in spots compared to how they really sounded, as heard on the Gimme Shelter film. (Examples being the vocals on JJF). LYL sounds much closer to actual raw documents of their sound at the time.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 7, 2016 17:54

HonkeyTonkFlash
I really like Love You Live - musically. I was initially surprised that Mick overdubbed his vocals because they're still very sloppy; guess that was intentional. But one point strikes me - By making Ya Ya's so good, they almost set themselves up to get knocked down for something like LYL, which is a more honest representation of how they sounded live, despite the overdubs. Ya Ya's sounds much more polished in spots compared to how they really sounded, as heard on the Gimme Shelter film. (Examples being the vocals on JJF). LYL sounds much closer to actual raw documents of their sound at the time.

I have no idea, but when talking of vocal and instrument overdubs to what extent are we talking? Phrases?, lines? Seems like a very tedious exercise...confused smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 7, 2016 18:06

With the exception of the El Mocambo side, I found this album to be lacking. Sadly, I tended to compare it to Ya Yas. That is probably not a fair comparison. LYL to me sounded lackluster and uninspired. As others have pointed out on this thread and other conversations on this board dealing with this time period, the Jagger from 1975-77 was not singing but barking out the lyrics to his song and for me that was a distraction. Even if you subtract the overdubs from Ya Yas (i.e. raw tapes of MSG, Baltimore, Boston), the version of the Stones that we got in 69 is miles ahead of the mid seventies Stones who were in transition and needed a new and/or different direction (ie. Some Girls)...

Date: May 7, 2016 18:10

Maindefender
HonkeyTonkFlash

I have no idea, but when talking of vocal and instrument overdubs to what extent are we talking? Phrases?, lines? Seems like a very tedious exercise...confused smiley

I know there are some websites that detail the overdubs on Ya Ya's and other Stones live albums. If I recall, many of the lead and backing vocals were overdubbed on Ya Ya's. I believe Midnight Rambler is totally live, possibly Love In Vain, no dubs. Most of the guitar parts are original. Love You Live, I haven't read as much about but it seems a lot of the vocals were redone in the studio on that one as well. Speaking of Ya Ya's just compare the vocals on JJF to the ones in the film, Gimme Shelter. GS sounds much rawer. Same applies is you listen to the chorus vocals on Honky Tonk Women.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 7, 2016 21:35

It's very simple. Take out the Mocambo side, put it on your turntable, put down needle. Throw away the rest.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 7, 2016 21:59

24FPS
Throw away the rest.

eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Date: May 7, 2016 22:25

24FPS
It's very simple. Take out the Mocambo side, put it on your turntable, put down needle. Throw away the rest.

Actually, although the El Macambo side is great, it should have been a separate album of the whole show. It sounds so different from the rest of LYL that it doesn't quite fit in,and disrupts the arena gig continuity if that makes any sense. LYL should've been all from the 75-76 tours and El Macambo a whole other album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-07 22:51 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 7, 2016 22:36

HonkeyTonkFlash
24FPS

Actually, although the El Macambo side is great, it should have been a separate album of the whole show. It sounds so different from the rest of LYL that it doesn't quite fit in,and disputes the arena gig continuity if that makes any sense. LYL should've been all from the 75-76 tours and El Macambo a whole other album.

Spot on my friend. The two different size venues where these songs were recorded detracts from the overall continuity and flow of Love You Live whereas Ya Yas (even though there are missing songs and the running order of the album was different than what was actually played at 69 shows due to accommodating something like 20 minutes sides on a record), it still flows and feels like a single, cohesive concert.

Date: May 7, 2016 22:41

Sighunt
HonkeyTonkFlash
24FPS

Actually, although the El Macambo side is great, it should have been a separate album of the whole show. It sounds so different from the rest of LYL that it doesn't quite fit in,and disputes the arena gig continuity if that makes any sense. LYL should've been all from the 75-76 tours and El Macambo a whole other album.

Spot on my friend. The two different size venues where these songs were recorded detracts from the overall continuity and flow of Love You Live whereas Ya Yas (even though there are missing songs and the running order of the album was different than what was actually played at 69 shows due to accommodating something like 20 minutes sides on a record), it still flows and feels like a single, cohesive concert.

Yeah, what you said!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2016 00:16

Sighunt
HonkeyTonkFlash
24FPS

The other three sides suck cheese, no matter how you couch them.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 8, 2016 04:59

This has become a controversial album for me because of one song and the huge divergence of opinions on the performance. I remember closely listening to YCAGWYW back then and my opinion has not changed since. I listened and listened and when it was over I thought WTF was that? I can be very harsh about what I think of it, but it is ground past traveled. But some people love it and I do not get it. I guess I never got RW. Looking back on it it is a sad album for me, a favorite band running out of gas. But I think Around and Around is terrific, overdubs or not.

Date: May 8, 2016 13:41

pmk251
This has become a controversial album for me because of one song and the huge divergence of opinions on the performance. I remember closely listening to YCAGWYW back then and my opinion has not changed since. I listened and listened and when it was over I thought WTF was that? I can be very harsh about what I think of it, but it is ground past traveled. But some people love it and I do not get it. I guess I never got RW. Looking back on it it is a sad album for me, a favorite band running out of gas. But I think Around and Around is terrific, overdubs or not.

YCAGWYW is indeed sloppy but I love it. Ron's solo is one of my favorites of all time!

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 9, 2016 07:30

Love You Live is also my very first Stones album with Big Hits (hight tide and green grass) that I bought in 1977 in Abingdon.
I didn't see them in Paris in 1976 (was 13, too young to survive) but this album was probably the beginning of the love story.

To me, Fingerprint File is boring, the weak point of the album.
The rest is great,
Around and Around and It's Only R'R at El Mocambo are excellent , BS and JJF and Sympathy come as a glorious conclusion.
I wish they could have added Hand of Fate (London or Paris version) and also SFM (Paris version of the 6th of June) and then we could have said that perfection exists in this sh.t world !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 07:34 by jpasc95.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 9, 2016 09:52

jpasc95
Love You Live is also my very first Stones album with Big Hits (hight tide and green grass) that I bought in 1977 in Abingdon.
I didn't see them in Paris in 1976 (was 13, too young to survive) but this album was probably the beginning of the love story.

To me, Fingerprint File is boring, the weak point of the album.
The rest is great,
Around and Around and It's Only R'R at El Mocambo are excellent , BS and JJF and Sympathy come as a glorious conclusion.
I wish they could have added Hand of Fate (London or Paris version) and also SFM (Paris version of the 6th of June) and then we could have said that perfection exists in this sh.t world !

IORR is Toronto but from 1975. It is a great version nonetheless.

Date: May 9, 2016 11:07

IORR and Fingerprint File are from Toronto, a great show, btw.

I can't fathom why people don't like:

HTW
Happy (Best version ever?)
Hot Stuff
You Gotta Move
Fingerprint File
Tumbling Dice
IORR
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

But that's me - I love them thumbs up

The whole El Mocambo Side is pure excellence, too.

Date: May 9, 2016 12:58

DandelionPowderman

HTW
Hot Stuff
You Gotta Move
Fingerprint File
Tumbling Dice
IORR
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

I love all of it. FF is a personal favorite! I get why people call YCAGWYW sloppy, but when Ron takes off on that solo - magic! Actually, if I had to pick a weak spot - there are way better versions of Dice to be had.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 9, 2016 14:43

Hi,
IMO. Fingerprint File is not live. (played in studio and added).
Hear the drums (too clear drums) and added applause when song is ending.
greets,

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 9, 2016 15:16

A great live album. It's only r'n'r' is the peak of their live career, around and around is great, you gotta move is beautifully dirty, the guitars cut like knives and the whole album is unforgettable because it is not perfect But hAs got a big r'n'r' heart

Date: May 9, 2016 15:21

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

HTW
Hot Stuff
You Gotta Move
Fingerprint File
Tumbling Dice
IORR
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

I love all of it. FF is a personal favorite! I get why people call YCAGWYW sloppy, but when Ron takes off on that solo - magic! Actually, if I had to pick a weak spot - there are way better versions of Dice to be had.

I don't confused smiley Brilliant version, lovely guitar solo.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 9, 2016 15:30

Yes, I 'love' this live album as a almost worthy follow up to Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! live album.

Though years apart, there's the same vigor.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 9, 2016 15:40

Sighunt
HonkeyTonkFlash
24FPS

Back in the day, the "overall continuity and flow" was spoiled anyway because you had four vinyl sides and if you were in for "arena Stones" you just had to put on side 4 after side 2 on your turntable and if you were after "club Stones" just just had to put side 3 on the turntable. I thought the idea to have "two shows in one product" was great and made "Love You Live" interesting. Of course, the "El Mocambo" taster of just four songs evoked the "cry for more" from this show, and I guess I'm not the only one.

And while I'm at it, the omission of Hand Of Fate is unforgivable. It's one example where the live rendidition actually surpasses the studio version.

Date: May 9, 2016 15:44

alimente
Sighunt
HonkeyTonkFlash
24FPS

Back in the day, the "overall continuity and flow" was spoiled anyway because you had four vinyl sides and if you were in for "arena Stones" you just had to put on side 4 after side 2 on your turntable and if you were after "club Stones" just just had to put side 3 on the turntable. I thought the idea to have "two shows in one product" was great and made "Love You Live" interesting. Of course, the "El Mocambo" taster of just four songs evoked the "cry for more" from this show, and I guess I'm not the only one.

And while I'm at it, the omission of Hand Of Fate is unforgivable. It's one example where the live rendidition actually surpasses the studio version.

Agreed, and I'm tempted to say that goes for Worried About You as well.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 9, 2016 15:53

DandelionPowderman
alimente
Sighunt
HonkeyTonkFlash
24FPS

Agreed, and I'm tempted to say that goes for Worried About You as well.

Of course, plus the debut of a new Jagger/Richards tune on a live album would have lifted Love You Live even more.

But I fear that in this case, the studio version would not have appeared on Tattoo You because it would have been regarded as an "old hat" by the band. It probably would have turned into a "holy grail" studio recording for the fans which would not have seen the light of day until a Black And Blue deluxe release which we're still waiting for up until now!

Date: May 9, 2016 22:36

nightskyman
Yes, I 'love' this live album as a almost worthy follow up to Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! live album.

Though years apart, there's the same vigor.

And that - for me - is what makes a great live Stones album - the VIGOR! The more modern live albums have some great performances but not always that same feeling; it's something that can't quite be put into words.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 4 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home