Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: Love Love You Live
Date: August 5, 2017 15:49

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman
Ron Wood's solo on YCAGWYW is the best he ever played, imo.

The fact that it's an edit detracts a little bit.

+ there are many superior solos from the same tour.

What's interesting about his YCAGWYW solo on that tour, is that he had it pretty much laid out in his mind. There is a structure to it that he stuck to. Or at least some key markers.

Re: Love Love You Live
Date: August 5, 2017 15:58

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
TheflyingDutchman
Ron Wood's solo on YCAGWYW is the best he ever played, imo.

The fact that it's an edit detracts a little bit.

+ there are many superior solos from the same tour.

What's interesting about his YCAGWYW solo on that tour, is that he had it pretty much laid out in his mind. There is a structure to it that he stuck to. Or at least some key markers.

Some key markers indeed. And a delay-pedal?

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Love You Live
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 5, 2017 19:00

I made an edited version of the album on cassette and listened to it for one summer when I was mowing lawns. Every time I went to mow a lawn. I loved it. I had gotten worn out on GYYYO! and HOT ROCKS so LYL was brilliant.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 5, 2017 19:08

GasLightStreet
I made an edited version of the album on cassette and listened to it for one summer when I was mowing lawns. Every time I went to mow a lawn. I loved it. I had gotten worn out on GYYYO! and HOT ROCKS so LYL was brilliant.

That's the great think about the Stones' enormous catalogue - tire of one thing and move on to another.
By the time you get through everything you like, start all over again at the beginning and it sounds fresh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-05 19:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 21:04

GasLightStreet

Wouldn't a personalized version of Dirty Work have been more apropos for lawn-cutting?

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 5, 2017 22:23

LongBeachArena72
GasLightStreet

Wouldn't a personalized version of Dirty Work have been more apropos for lawn-cutting?

Or Green Tide and High Grass.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 5, 2017 22:27

z
LongBeachArena72
GasLightStreet

Yours is a better suggestion, z. I was just trying to tap into GLS's oft-professed love for DW.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 5, 2017 22:41

How can you judje a live album at this moment that is isued in 1977 played
from Tour 1976 and songs (1lp side) from 1977? At that time I was 27 of age and this album was great. Some of you says: overdubed, well every group did.That album is conform at THAT time. If and ""if"" they had stopped in '80,'81, you now should say ""Love You Live"" was top.

Date: August 5, 2017 22:47

LongBeachArena72
z
LongBeachArena72
GasLightStreet

Yours is a better suggestion, z. I was just trying to tap into GLS's oft-professed love for DW.

She's The Boss might fit as well...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 5, 2017 22:58

LongBeachArena72
GasLightStreet

Yeah, but you'd only have like three songs. so....

Date: August 6, 2017 17:25

LongBeachArena72
GasLightStreet

Not for a good job.

Date: August 6, 2017 17:29

tioms
How can you judje a live album at this moment that is isued in 1977 played
from Tour 1976 and songs (1lp side) from 1977? At that time I was 27 of age and this album was great. Some of you says: overdubed, well every group did.That album is conform at THAT time. If and ""if"" they had stopped in '80,'81, you now should say ""Love You Live"" was top.

You left out 1975's Fingerprint File, It's Only Rock'N'Roll and Sympathy For The Devil.

The only songs that were not overdubbed are If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud and You Gotta Move.

Love You Live
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 13:38

Played this today for the first time in ages. Wow. The version of You Gotta Move is both almost honky tonkish AND chain Gang... BRILLIANT. SIMPLY BRILLIANT. And, sacrilege I know, but this version of Sympathy just SMOKES! The last 4 minutes are a guitar driven sonic disturbance. LOVE IT, possibly more than the Ya Yas version.

Rod

Re: Love You Live
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: July 4, 2018 13:49

Yes I totally love this album. However just really got into GYYYOUT!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 14:37

Nothing is better than GYYYOUT !

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: July 4, 2018 16:25

My first Stones album !I had only ever heard "miss you" before,as it was in the charts.Everything else was new,new to me.

Date: July 4, 2018 16:59

powerage78

The only significant difference between Ya ya's and LyL is the lead guitarist, and
Billy Preston of course.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 4, 2018 17:10

TheflyingDutchman
powerage78

The only significant difference between Ya ya's and LyL is the lead guitarist, and
Billy Preston of course.

New lead guitarist is the reason why I prefer Love You Live. Preston notwithstanding ...

C

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 17:10

Your opinion, not mine.
LYL is a good live album, GYYYOUT is just fantastic and unique.
New lead guitarist is the reason why I prefer Ya Ya's a thousand times drinking smiley

TheflyingDutchman
powerage78

Billy Preston of course.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 17:24 by powerage78.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 4, 2018 18:25

powerage78
Your opinion, not mine.
New lead guitarist is the reason why I prefer Ya Ya's a thousand times drinking smiley

TheflyingDutchman
powerage78

Billy Preston of course.

You forget Ollie E. Brown... That counts

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 4, 2018 19:43

The Joker

You are 100% right! Another great reason to Love You Live

The 75/76 rhythm section was super-tight!

C

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2018 20:08

YaYa's is far superior imo but came out a bit before my time. LYL was released when I was 14 and it became a part of the "soundtracks" for that year - played it endlessly.
Still enjoy it alot but mainly for sentimental reasons - takes me right back to '77. But if I want to listen to the Stones live properly, YaYas it is as far as official releases go.

Date: July 4, 2018 20:24

The Joker
powerage78
Your opinion, not mine.

TheflyingDutchman
powerage78

Billy Preston of course.

On LyL , yes.

On Yaya's and LYL Jagger, Richards, Watts and Wymann are the constant trait.
Taylor and Preston are the significant variables, imo.

Date: July 4, 2018 20:45

SFTD is pretty damn good on LYL. It's still moving, there's more movement with the guitaring, and it's a good difference from the one on GYYYO! that, given the live versions since 1991's FLASHPOINT, an exceptional second best live version on record.

Honky Tonk Women is supreme.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 4, 2018 20:51

TheflyingDutchman
The Joker
powerage78
Your opinion, not mine.

TheflyingDutchman
powerage78

Billy Preston of course.

On LyL , yes.

Which Taylor on LYL. Taylor Swift?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 4, 2018 21:07

mtaylor
TheflyingDutchman
The Joker
powerage78
Your opinion, not mine.

TheflyingDutchman
powerage78

Billy Preston of course.

On LyL , yes.

Which Taylor on LYL. Taylor Swift?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Taylor on Yaya's; sorry for the confusion winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-04 21:08 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 4, 2018 22:46

What makes LYL work is the ENERGY of the performances. It feels like an incredibly good time is being had all over the place. Just try to play that album and sit still.

The playing is certainly superior on Ya Ya's, but LYL had the sense of fun and abandon still present through Some Girls and even Tattoo You.

Still Life captured some of that feel, though the Hampton show is way better. The 1981/82 versions of live songs still took risks and messed with the arrangements in a way that was lost by 1989 and onward -- for better or worse.

T@3

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: July 4, 2018 23:50

bitusa2012
And, sacrilege I know, but this version of Sympathy just SMOKES! The last 4 minutes are a guitar driven sonic disturbance. LOVE IT, possibly more than the Ya Yas version.

Got to agree with you there..... I play the LYL version of Sympathy endlessly and its absolutely fantastic...…

Still takes second place to the version on GYYYO though..... But only just!

What is totally superb on LYL though is, Its only rock and roll...…. Awesome!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 4, 2018 23:56

bitusa2012
Played this today for the first time in ages. Wow. The version of You Gotta Move is both almost honky tonkish AND chain Gang... BRILLIANT. SIMPLY BRILLIANT. And, sacrilege I know, but this version of Sympathy just SMOKES! The last 4 minutes are a guitar driven sonic disturbance. LOVE IT, possibly more than the Ya Yas version.

I agree. thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 5, 2018 00:05

TheflyingDutchman
powerage78

Billy Preston of course.

That and the fact that the singer is more than listenable on the earlier release. Its hard to believe that after numerous overdubs Mick's singing is actually worse on the 1976 songs on LYL than it was on the actual shows.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1672
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home