Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Love Love You Live
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 29, 2017 00:11

24FPS
Hairball
Koen
I must be the exception to the vibe then, since I'm over 50. But if you call that younger fans, that's fine with me smoking smiley

I just turned 54, and Love You Live was far from my first Stones album.
Glad to be considered young though!

smileys with beer

Let's see, you would have been 14 in '77, and you already had bought a number of Stones albums? Okay. What was the first Stones album you bought? Because early Stones fans are in their 70s now. Some had been listening for a quarter century before Love You Live fell off the who cares truck.

Always thought they started rolling '62...
But who knows...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2017 02:27

24FPS
Hairball
Koen
I must be the exception to the vibe then, since I'm over 50. But if you call that younger fans, that's fine with me smoking smiley

smileys with beer

Let's see, you would have been 14 in '77, and you already had bought a number of Stones albums? Okay. What was the first Stones album you bought? Because early Stones fans are in their 70s now. Some had been listening for a quarter century before Love You Live fell off the who cares truck.

When you say "young Stones fans", yes I was young at the time of release, but I thought you were referring to current young Stones fans who have an appreciation for it.

The first Stones album I bought was Made in the Shade in '75, and bought quite a few "oldies" immediately after that including Hot Rocks and YaYas, as well as the newer Black and Blue.
Not to mention my older brother - four years older than me - had been buying Stones albums since Sticky Fingers was released or even earlier.
In other words, I was already well schooled enough to understand the Stones and their history, and Love You Live was something great at the time of it's release.
Can't speak for the 70 year old Stones fans and how they may have perceived it upon release, as I don't know any.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2017 06:57

shortfatfanny
24FPS
Hairball
Koen

smileys with beer

Always thought they started rolling '62...
But who knows...

They didn't start recording until 1963. The Beatles in '62. Only a few people heard either of them before that. And the Beatles weren't heard in the states on radio until early '64, the Stones late '64.

Date: July 29, 2017 07:04

I think he's referring to the fact that a quarter century is 25 years.

If there were some fans who had been listening to them for a quarter century before Love You Live in '77, that would mean they were listening as far back as 1952.

Date: July 29, 2017 10:14

Hairball
I think he's referring to the fact that a quarter century is 25 years.

If there were some fans who had been listening to them for a quarter century before Love You Live in '77, that would mean they were listening as far back as 1952.

Exactly,but wait...maybe he was thinking of Keith the choir boy singing at Westminster...was that in '52 ?
Then 24FPS got a point...
smoking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 29, 2017 12:16

My rock n roll highshool. Thank you Keith.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 29, 2017 14:05

Palace Revolution 2000
Koen
It was my first Stones album, I guess that maked a great impact. And how wonderful to hear the studio version of some songs only years later, like Tumbling Dice.

It's posts like these that make IORR really worth it. This is what a fanboard does so well - highlight an album that doesn't mean that much to you.
Then someone else says it is their alltime favorite. That will make me re-examine it. ....

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 14:07 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2017 14:07

.....uuuummmm love ya live .... well dead NO eeerrr oh yeah .... eeererrr no

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 29, 2017 15:17

I thought it sucked when I first bought it, and I still do. Pointless album. I find it mind-boggling that some Stones fan prefer it over Ya Yas. Had the Stones released Love You Live as an entire El Mocambo show that might have been more interesting. For my two cents, there is hardly any tunes on Love You Live that beats the overall quality of Ya Yas (even if you take away the overdubs on it).

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 15:55

im 48, but its great to be seen as a young fan.

i dont honestly know how i would have viewed love you live if i had been a fan from 1962.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 29, 2017 18:26

Some great tracks on this album! Fingerprint File sounds a lot better on the unedited LA 75 releases.

Date: July 29, 2017 18:33

Sighunt
I thought it sucked when I first bought it, and I still do. Pointless album. I find it mind-boggling that some Stones fan prefer it over Ya Yas. Had the Stones released Love You Live as an entire El Mocambo show that might have been more interesting. For my two cents, there is hardly any tunes on Love You Live that beats the overall quality of Ya Yas (even if you take away the overdubs on it).

There's some Stones fans that prefer it over YaYa's? Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has said that in this thread.

And when you say "hardly any tunes on LYL beat the overall quality or YaYa's", are you actually saying there are some that do?
Personally I can't think of any that better anything on YaYa's...not even the El Mocambo side comes close to YaYa's.
The album as a whole is a sloppy mess, but at the time of release it was great to listen to, and still is on the rare occasion.

Maybe some day they'll release the entire El Mocambo show properly and give it the treatment it deserves rather than just slapping together a few songs to make up a side of a double album.
There's some decent boots of the show, but a proper release is called for. I'd be more satisfied with an official release of that than the upcoming Fonda show.

Date: July 29, 2017 18:36

<don't think anyone has said that in this thread>

Did you miss the opening post?

Date: July 29, 2017 18:42

It's amazing how quickly some Stones fans forget, just because they haven't listened to the album for years.

Please point me to ONE reason to call the following songs sloppy:

Honky Tonk Women
Hot Stuff
IORR
You Gotta Move
YCAGWYW
SFTD
If You Can't Rock Me
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Fingerprint File

And Little Red Rooster, Around And Around and Manish Boy blows SFM, HTW and perhaps even JJF on Ya-Ya's Out of the water, imo.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 29, 2017 18:45

Monsoon Ragoon
An edit and remix album which has very little to do with the original concerts...

Monday morning quarterbacking ... at the time I bought it, I had no clue if it was from the same show or not, nor did i care -- it was (and still is, to me) a great album, I loved listening to the songs I loved being done differently, and it had a great mix of songs.

But if we're comparing, Ya Ya's still wins for me.

Date: July 29, 2017 19:07

DandelionPowderman

<don't think anyone has said that in this thread>

Haha I guess I did. smiling smiley

DandelionPowderman
It's amazing how quickly some Stones fans forget, just because they haven't listened to the album for years.

Honky Tonk Women
Hot Stuff
IORR
You Gotta Move
YCAGWYW
SFTD
If You Can't Rock Me
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Fingerprint File

And Little Red Rooster, Around And Around and Manish Boy blows SFM, HTW and perhaps even JJF on Ya-Ya's Out of the water, imo.

Q:ONE reason to call the following songs sloppy?
A: Ronnie Wood.

YaYa's is of masterpiece quality start to finish fit for a museum to be displayed for eternity, while LYL is a nice souvenir c. '77 that is more of a fast food product ala McDonalds.
Any time you have a live album with Mick Taylor vs. a live album with Ronnie Wood, there's only one winner, and in my book that's the former superior version of the Stones.
Again, enjoyed the album immensely when it was released for about a year, but it just doesn't stack up to any of the true classics - it's closer to Still Life than YaYa's imo
which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I enjoyed both LYL and SL when they were released.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 19:17 by Hairball.

cool smileyRe: Love Love You Live
Date: July 29, 2017 19:42

DandelionPowderman

Honky Tonk Women
Hot Stuff
IORR
You Gotta Move
YCAGWYW
SFTD
If You Can't Rock Me
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Fingerprint File

At least Fingerprint File is edited/shortened unfortunatly...
Nothing blows Ya Ya's out of the water.
Ya Ya's is the water.
The five rough mixes of LYL which popped up last year or so are pretty good,although Angie,Starf*cker and Hey Negrita didn't make the cut.

Re: cool smileyRe: Love Love You Live
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 29, 2017 19:54

"..IS THE WATER!!" ;~)

Date: July 29, 2017 19:56

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

Honky Tonk Women
Hot Stuff
IORR
You Gotta Move
YCAGWYW
SFTD
If You Can't Rock Me
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Fingerprint File

YaYa's is of masterpiece quality start to finish fit for a museum to be displayed for eternity, while LYL is a nice souvenir c. '77 that is more of a fast food product ala McDonalds.
Any time you have a live album with Mick Taylor vs. a live album with Ronnie Wood, there's only one winner, and in my book that's the former superior version of the Stones.
Again, enjoyed the album immensely when it was released for about a year, but it just doesn't stack up to any of the true classics - it's closer to Still Life than YaYa's imo
which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I enjoyed both LYL and SL when they were released.

I think you have a narrow way of enjoying music, if this is your criteria.

And you didn't say what Ronnie did that was so sloppy.

The El Mocambo side is performed better, has just as much soul and also a way better sound than Ya Yas. That goes for many of the other LYL-tracks I mentioned as well.

Ya Yas is the better of the live albums, of course, but that has little to do with any individual musician. It's the collection of songs and the band performance that makes it so strong, not Mick Taylor.

With all due respect, that anything with Mick Taylor is superior to all other Stones music is perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard in a long. long time.

You can do better than that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 19:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 29, 2017 20:10

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

DandelionPowderman

Honky Tonk Women
Hot Stuff
IORR
You Gotta Move
YCAGWYW
SFTD
If You Can't Rock Me
Happy
Tumbling Dice
Fingerprint File

I think you have a narrow way of enjoying music, if this is your criteria.

And you didn't say what Ronnie did that was so sloppy.

The El Mocambo side is performed better, has just as much soul and also a way better sound than Ya Yas. That goes for many of the other LYL-tracks I mentioned as well.

Ya Yas is the better of the live albums, of course, but that has little to do with any individual musician. It's the collection of songs and the band performance that makes it so strong, not Mick Taylor.

With all due respect, that anything with Mick Taylor is superior to all other Stones music is perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard in a long. long time.

You can do better than that.

What you might call "narrow", I would call refined...not everything in the Stones catalogue deserves praise imo.
I could say your taste is too broad and without any focus, but why would I make a personal critique of the way you like something?

As for Ronnie playing sloppy, if you really need to be spoonfed details of why I think his playing is sloppy, then there is no use in me explaining. His playing is sloppy - period. Obviously you love Ronnie a lot, and am not criticizing your opinion of him, so no need to get defensive.

And for the record, I said any LIVE album with Mick Taylor is better than any live album with Ronnie. Just my opinion, but YaYa's, Brussels, and the hundreds of boots are my reasoning behind that thought. Might sound like the "dumbest thing" you've heard in a long time, but I stand by it and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this is true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 20:15 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2017 20:26

Have fun with Marquee and Leeds, then, since they are superior to El Mocambo and Live In Texas in your opinion.

IMO, there are a zillion better versions of SFM and HTW than the Ya Yas-version, with and without Taylor.

PS: Do you really prefer the Marquee-show to Live In England '65, Live In Texas or Hampton 81 for musical reasons?

"Ron plays sloppy, period" is a ridiculous explanation from a musical standpoint. I thought you played guitar yourself and was an artist. Why don't you sacrifice a few words on what you call "McDonald's" in a thread where the OP said LYL was his favourite album?

Spoonfed? I just asked, you didn't answer. Should be easy for a guitar player.

Date: July 29, 2017 20:29

There is no right or wrong...that's once again the boring Taylor/Wood debate.
Manifested not long ago in the Mick Taylor thread,reaching almost hysteric dimensions when it became clear that he won't be a part of the 2015 Zip Code Tour.

It depends on personal taste and preferences.
The Taylor era is my favourite one,it's the peak of the Stones.
There are great shows and (live) releases with Ronnie which I truly enjoy.
Without respect towards both of them it's getting stupid...or in other words,that bullshit starts again which I don't enjoy.

Date: July 29, 2017 20:39

There is great music with Jones, Taylor and Wood.

But classifying an album as better, simply because one of these guitarists is playing on it makes no sense to me.

Date: July 29, 2017 20:43

DandelionPowderman
Have fun with Marquee and Leeds, then, since they are superior to El Mocambo and Live In Texas in your opinion.

IMO, there are a zillion better versions of SFM and HTW than the Ya Yas-version, with and without Taylor.

PS: Do you really prefer the Marquee-show to Live In England '65, Live In Texas or Hampton 81 for musical reasons?

"Ron plays sloppy, period" is a ridiculous explanation from a musical standpoint. I thought you played guitar yourself and was an artist. Why don't you sacrifice a few words on what you call "McDonald's" in a thread where the OP said LYL was his favourite album?

Spoonfed? I just asked, you didn't answer. Should be easy for a guitar player.

As for your first sentence, thanks I will.

As for your second sentence, valid and respected personal opinion of yours.

As for your third sentence, not sure what '65 has to do with any of this, and yes I prefer the Marquee show to any others you mentioned.

As for your fourth sentence, call it ridiculous all you want, but all that needs to be said is Ronnie is a sloppy guitar player - period. IMO.
Why sacrifice any more words when it's already in my explanation - ie sloppy/McDonalds.
Should I mention the off notes? Or his bad tone? Or his lazy haphazard solos?
Again, you love Ronnie and anything said against him seems to touch a nerve with you, so I'll leave it at that.

But all of this coming from someone who emphatically states:

"It's the collection of songs and the band performance that makes it so strong, not Mick Taylor".

Wait...are you saying Mick Taylor is meaningless to songs like Midnight Rambler and Love in Vain among others?

But never mind - I see no point in continuing this debate as it seems to have rankled your feathers and has taken on a personal note which wasn't intended.
Remember, we all have our favorites for different reasons, and not everyone thinks exactly like you or me. thumbs up

DandelionPowderman
There is great music with Jones, Taylor and Wood.

But classifying an album as better, simply because one of these guitarists is playing on it makes no sense to me.

While for me, it makes perfect sense...Mick Taylor is a far superiuor guitar player imo, and even at his worst he is more interesting to listen to than Ronnie IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 20:45 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2017 20:47

shortfatfanny
There is no right or wrong...that's once again the boring Taylor/Wood debate.
Manifested not long ago in the Mick Taylor thread,reaching almost hysteric dimensions when it became clear that he won't be a part of the 2015 Zip Code Tour.

It depends on personal taste and preferences.
The Taylor era is my favourite one,it's the peak of the Stones.
There are great shows and (live) releases with Ronnie which I truly enjoy.
Without respect towards both of them it's getting stupid...or in other words,that bullshit starts again which I don't enjoy.

True to all of the above, and I shall bow out of this gracefully.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 20:48 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2017 20:56

<Mick Taylor is a far superiuor guitar player imo, and even at his worst he is more interesting to listen to than Ronnie IMO>

Has that got anything to do with the quality of an album? Isn't it the band's total effort that counts the most?

There are way more accomplished guitar players on Mick's solo albums than on Keith's, yet you prefer the latter's albums. That Jeff Beck on a bad day can play better than Keith doesn't make Let's Work better than Suspicious, right?

That was my point, but I see now that your stance on this is set in stone...

Date: July 29, 2017 21:00

DandelionPowderman

Has that got anything to do with the quality of an album? Isn't it the band's total effort that counts the most?

There are way more accomplished guitar players on Mick's solo albums than on Keith's, yet you prefer the latter's albums. That Jeff Beck on a bad day can play better than Keith doesn't make Let's Work better than Suspicious, right?

You misunderstood then, as I was only comparing Mick Taylor's style of playing to Ronnie's style of playing, and giving my personal opinion on which one I prefer
I wasn't talking about more accomplished virtuoso guitar players ala Jeff Beck improving anything which obviously isn't the case.
That would be like saying Ritchie Blackmore would elevate every Stones song simply because he is a virtuoso.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 21:02 by Hairball.

Date: July 29, 2017 21:23

<Q:ONE reason to call the following songs sloppy?

Any time you have a live album with Mick Taylor vs. a live album with Ronnie Wood, there's only one winner, and in my book that's the former superior version of the Stones>

Misunderstood? Nope.

An arrogant post? Yes, imo.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 29, 2017 22:00

I'm a big fan of LYL, but I feel like if it won wide-spread critical acclaim it somehow wouldn't be as fun to listen to.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 22:01 by ryanpow.

Date: July 29, 2017 22:06

DandelionPowderman

While I agree with you in this cozy tête à-tête with Hairball that Jeff Beck on a bad day can play better than Keith we should be precise in comparing guitarist's qualities in the right context.

In songs we've got instrumental parts, often filled with extended guitar solos (hence Jeff Beck's or Taylor's solo works).

When your favourite guitar player is doing a solo in a song , it gives that song (or album) more musical value then played with the more "inferior player". That's only logical, just like in maths (and I'm not taking sides in the Rolling Stones albums here winking smiley) I think this is both the crux and misunderstanding in your dialogue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 22:10 by TheflyingDutchman.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home