Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Love You Live
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 10, 2016 13:17

Speaking of Love You Live, Tumbling Dice doesn't sound the same as the other rockers on sides 1, 2 & 4. It almost sounds similar to the El macambo side to my ears. Does anybody know what show it is from?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 10, 2016 13:35

HonkeyTonkFlash
Speaking of Love You Live, Tumbling Dice doesn't sound the same as the other rockers on sides 1, 2 & 4. It almost sounds similar to the El macambo side to my ears. Does anybody know what show it is from?

- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -Paris 5.6.76; reworked

[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 10, 2016 13:45

pepganzo
HonkeyTonkFlash

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks for the info!

Date: May 10, 2016 14:28

«Reworked» also means simply being shortened down/edited, like with Fingerprint File, YCAGWYW and Hot Stuff.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 10, 2016 16:17

DandelionPowderman
«Reworked» also means simply being shortened down/edited, like with Fingerprint File, YCAGWYW and Hot Stuff.

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 10, 2016 17:51

SFTD is pretty damn good on this one and is easily the second best of the four live versions released.

Date: May 10, 2016 19:13

GasLightStreet
SFTD is pretty damn good on this one and is easily the second best of the four live versions released.

Surely there are more than four officiall released versions? BTW, which on is the best, Ya Ya's or Rock'n'Roll Circus?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: May 10, 2016 19:17

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Surely there are more than four officiall released versions? BTW, which on is the best, Ya Ya's or Rock'n'Roll Circus?

if you don´t count the vault releases:
rock´n roll circus
ya yas
love you live
flashpoint
Shine a light
Sweet summer sun

The flashpoint version is VERY good

Date: May 10, 2016 20:38

deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

if you don´t count the vault releases:
rock´n roll circus
ya yas
love you live
flashpoint
Shine a light
Sweet summer sun

The flashpoint version is VERY good

Yeah - Sympathy on Flashpoint is great! Good enough to overlook my personal disdain for things like pre-recorded drum loops! They played awesomely on top of it, so all is forgiven!

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 10, 2016 21:16

Koen
palerider22
The El Mocambo side is great but nothing beats this!

It's Only Rock and Roll

fvck yeah!

smileys with beer SFTD and IORR are the absolute highlights of this great album for me....

IORR is so good it knocks the original recorded version for six!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 10, 2016 22:39

pepganzo
HonkeyTonkFlash

[www.iorr.org]

This?
[www.youtube.com]

I will listen closely later today but is it really reworked? Reworked perhaps but no overdubs right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-10 22:41 by Redhotcarpet.

Love Love You Live
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 28, 2017 01:50

Playing it really loud now. My favorite Stones album.

Re: Love Love You Live
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 28, 2017 03:51

Koen
Playing it really loud now. My favorite Stones album.

And for me, I thought it was a pointless mess, except for the El Mocambo side. I was very happy when Some Girls came out and made me forget Love You Live.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:31

I thought it was great at the time of it's release from start to finish.
After the mostly dull Black and Blue (give or take a few tunes), it was a refreshing reminder to hear the "greatest" play some of their "greatest".
Became a "warhorse" amongst my listening during that period, and still listen to it on the rare occasion.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2017 04:34

It's a fantastic representation of post-1969/1973 greatness with the sloppiness, overall, as well as the pre-Jagger-control years that started in 1981.

Horrible overdubs. The The Mocambo tracks are great even with overdubs but the best version of Honky Tonk Women ever and the greatest version of IORR ever as well.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 28, 2017 05:32

I liked LYL from the first time I listened to it. It has a really cool party-down feel to it. HTW is a great opener. And also, as I'm fond of pointing out, I like the way the plastic covered CD smells.

Posted by: Iggyrichards ()
Date: July 28, 2017 06:22

Great memories of love you live. I was 13 when I first heard it. The El Mocambo side I played over and over while playing my guitar along with it and learning.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 06:40

Historically for me; I hadn't been too into Black & Blue. I liked some of it. It wasn't a dear record to me. IORR was, tho I could get critical, I'd choose not to, because there are things on it I really totally love.

There weren't fan clubs or computers. There was nothing to gain or lose in telling anybody about what you were listening to. There was no grand feeling of let-down or disappointment if a record by someone I loved didn't particularly draw me. It's happened with almost everyone I totally respect, adore, even worshipped as Idols as a kid and still love and spend time with now...
...so there was no fan club to huff and puff about; nothing to prove to anyone about anything. No one cared if you were 'right' or 'wrong' about your tastes or inclinations; I didn't care that much myself. That freed me. I wasn't a purist, nor not quite a tourist either, there were foundational things that drew me real young, like Little Richard and Orbison and a LOT of the best stuff from the late 50's and especially from 1960 onward...by the time of Beatles/Stones I was sorta already there in some ways, as far as American rock and roll goes...We had The Crystals, The Ronnettes, the great other girl groups, a lot of stuff check it out it was explosive and beautiful...

The Stones blew my head off the first time I saw them even, they stood out. WHen I first heard TIOMS organ version I didn't know if they were black or white or who they were, tho I had scene a picture and knew they were part of the Invasion. I was only 12 into 13...I was prime for RT just a few years later, in high school; a sophomore I think....saw it as great literature haha, I still love it...

Loved Got Live; had Liver Than You'll on pristine vinyl, Still do. hardly anything else viny. Couldn't quite let that one go. When it does it will go to someone who knows what it is....

...Yas is Yas. Not even gonna talk about. Dont have to. It left marks.
L&G blew me away.
I was at the Zigfield for several of the showings; two in a row then went back again a couple of times during it's run....I was into it. I saw that tour a couple of stops as well; good stops; stops deep fans tell me was among their freshest and most ferocious ever...I hadn't seen them before that.

I saw Ron's 13th show where I had seen Mick take his birthday cake w Stevie et. al...lucky; didn't even have a basis for comparion or really know with any perspective, but super 'got it' if you know what I mean...and you do...
Loved Ron, saw Faces Fillmore East, close-up...amazing, to this day a super sacred blessing even; that good....
wasn't into the Stones show that much; Still loved 'em. NO tude, just not impressed. even with Eric and a lotus and aisles full of hand drummers ho hum;
even had press passes to after-show at bar where a LOT of UK stars were hanging and drinking and drank with them; talked with them; Stones never showed; they might have was the feeling a lot of people had. It was NY. It was a big stop press-wise; this is where the press was; pretty much all of them. Me just a fan with a friend who worked crew for major PA companies and just asked arranged it; we got into the bar very easily. Daltry was easy open friendly normal at the bar; it was cool. I didn't hate them or judge The Stones; I just wasn't comparatively into it....as time goes by; I'm still not./

then this things comes out. It just sorta laid there. I tried a few times. IT wasn't clicking; I didn't hate it or think about it or habe this big drama depression or care that much...loved 'em would always listen; still interested very many decades later...

but I listened some when I saw this thread. It's really not much to me still.
I dn't want to be disrespcectful ; i just think it' sloppy and flat and doesn't really leap out or sound 'authentic; no slam; I mean in relation to THEMSELVES, as I had always appreciated them 'authentic'...not that they were white boys riding the rocknroll thing,. So was I tho; and just a kid...Elvis was a little too early for me; but I went back and got him.

...it just wasn't that real high grade fine undeniable leader-of-the-pack, and absolutley, they had always been for me. I will be polite; because historically now; almosat everything is precious and intersting in perspective. I mean I love them; they sort of mark different periods of my life....like you mostly too, regardless of way younger, not many too much way older haha...

...not a special thing. not a legacy thing for me. nothing to really bother with; if it came on, I wouldn't leave the party let's say that. If I knew the host, I'd help them out.

Date: July 28, 2017 17:31

It was my first Stones album, I guess that maked a great impact. And how wonderful to hear the studio version of some songs only years later, like Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:46

An edit and remix album which has very little to do with the original concerts. Okay, it's better than the 1st live LP and Live Licks. I never listen to the official live albums, except the complete concert releases from the past 4-5 years.

Date: July 28, 2017 17:48

Koen
It was my first Stones album, I guess that maked a great impact. And how wonderful to hear the studio version of some songs only years later, like Tumbling Dice.

It's posts like these that make IORR really worth it. This is what a fanboard does so well - highlight an album that doesn't mean that much to you.
Then someone else says it is their alltime favorite. That will make me re-examine it.
This one came out during a time when a new Stones album was a big deal, and one knew hardly anything about it. What let me down about it, was that I didn't get that feel of excitement from it; like "ya-Yas", or "Got Live".
Except Side 3. Side 3 is perfection. One of the best performabes ever recorded by the Stones. But then I started digging "Hot Stuff" and "@#$%&"; then "Happy" and "IORR".
I think it took a switch in listening and appreciating what they were doing, and how. The amps were hotter, but also drier. You didn't sense those vibrating, glowing tubes in the back of overloaded amps. And in the big shows (Side 1,2,&4) the crowd seemed anonymous, far away. Jagger was shouting a lot.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:00

was my first stones tape when i decided to become a fan, bought in december 1987 aged 19.

dont know why i picked love you live, think it was because it had some songs i had heard of, brown sugar, jj flash, honky tonk woman. i could easily have picked hot rocks or rolled gold on another day, but i always have a soft spot for this album, took me a while to dig it though, didnt fancy it at first but it grew on me.

star star is excellent and less sloppy than some of the other stuff.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:04

Sounds like Mick is having a seizure or something - not a fan of that tour

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:25

Saw them on their 1st night in Frankfurt (1976).
Black and Blue had just come out - what a disappointment.

The concert was a mess and those New Rolling Reggage Stones were not to my taste, and still are not.

Love you Live - what a disappointment again. Terrible sound and horrible MJ barking. On the other hand, it captures well the atmosphere on that above mentioned Frankfurt show. A good documentation of the Stones at their lowest.

Those of you who love Live you Live - enjoy!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 28, 2017 20:39

Rolled Gold has been my first Stones album with LYL following soon.
Therefore it will always have a certain value for me,especially with side 3 of course.
Meanwhile I prefer LA Friday from the vaults.
That's a really great live album reflecting that era.

Date: July 28, 2017 21:13

Loved it and still do. Sloppier than the Ya Yas incarnation of the band for sure but great energy and it rocks out. Really, the only drawback, as other's have said was Mick's manner of singing on that tour. He was better on Ya Yas and he would be better again come 1978...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: July 28, 2017 22:11

I'm catching a vibe here that younger fans, some of whom this was their first or second Stones album, really like it. Older fans knew better? Knew that Ya Yas was the real deal? I felt cheated, especially since it cost more for a double album when there was only one good side of the four.

Date: July 28, 2017 22:34

I must be the exception to the vibe then, since I'm over 50. But if you call that younger fans, that's fine with me smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 22:34 by Koen.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:58

Koen
I must be the exception to the vibe then, since I'm over 50. But if you call that younger fans, that's fine with me smoking smiley

I just turned 54, and Love You Live was far from my first Stones album.
Glad to be considered young though!

smileys with beer

Date: July 28, 2017 23:56

Hairball
Koen

I just turned 54, and Love You Live was far from my first Stones album.
Glad to be considered young though!

smileys with beer

Let's see, you would have been 14 in '77, and you already had bought a number of Stones albums? Okay. What was the first Stones album you bought? Because early Stones fans are in their 70s now. Some had been listening for a quarter century before Love You Live fell off the who cares truck.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 5 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home