Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Elton John's Suggestion to the Rolling Stones
Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: January 15, 2016 04:20

stones will do what they think is best take or leave it. lucky to get album from stones,enjoy the ride.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 15, 2016 11:14

desertblues68
matxil
The last time Mick got positive "advice" (to say it euphemistically) was at the end of the 70s when punk kicked in. The message of punk was simple: have fun, don't pretend, be wild, go crazy. Oh, and have fun. And even though Mick and Keith didn't agree on the merits of punk (or disco), the message helped the Stones, for a short while, kicking some ass again.
Unfortunately, punk evolved into new-wave and the Stones evolved into what they are now.
Elton is 100% right about the main problem (but not about the solution): Keith and Mick not agreeing.

But they recorded Some Girls a return to form and in IMHO an innovative and great Album. grinning smiley

That was what I was saying.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 15, 2016 11:16

Hairball
Hats off to Elton, but many of us have been saying this for years!

thumbs upthumbs up

Mick, what's the problem with 'old-fashioned equipment'?!
I know, you prefer your 'cold' pro tools demos recorded with Matt Clifford...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 15, 2016 12:28

Many good points here and didn`t have the time to read it all, but did really Elton John say that? It sounds like blowing up open doors. We all know this, but I know how flat a "blues" song could sound (Back of My Hand). However, I believe in digging deep and unlocking the code to make blues anew.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 15, 2016 13:05

noughties
Many good points here and didn`t have the time to read it all, but did really Elton John say that? It sounds like blowing up open doors. We all know this, but I know how flat a "blues" song could sound (Back of My Hand). However, I believe in digging deep and unlocking the code to make blues anew.

We are only on page 3, why don't you read up first...winking smiley

Date: January 15, 2016 13:27

If we get something as good as Back Of My Hand I will be very happy thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 15, 2016 13:27

Wioth Elt all the way on this but throw in some country, reggae and tasteful soul and they've got themselves a hit records. The critics will love it and the public will pick up on the great reviews. Simples.

Dear Stones - please send cheque through to Silver Dagger, Dagger Towers, Daggerville, UK.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 15, 2016 14:53

KRiffhard
Hairball

thumbs upthumbs up

I know, you prefer your 'cold' pro tools demos recorded with Matt Clifford...eye rolling smiley

we know you can't help yourself...and no you aren't biased...just any opportunity to take even the slightest comment out of context to supplicate your narrative..

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 15, 2016 17:32

Rip This
KRiffhard
Hairball

thumbs upthumbs up

we know you can't help yourself...and no you aren't biased...just any opportunity to take even the slightest comment out of context to supplicate your narrative..

I've just been comparing his being anti-nostalgia and old-fashioned equipment with his use of drum loop and Pro-Tools. That's all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-15 17:35 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: January 15, 2016 21:25

its not either or with ProTools

Alot of recordings are predominately analogue with vintage amps, guitars, ribbon, valve mics etc, then fed into ProTools, spring reverbs, DI's etc.

I've not seen much plugin to Protools and go completely Digital with plugins etc, and when i have its normaly due to finance, practicalities, sounding at best, level with analogue, and predominatly not on the level of Analogue.

Its a sliding scale in how much its used, mixing is about what sonics they're after. hold off on compression, keep it grity, earthy, leave some worts in there and I'm happy. i just wanna hear them sound like they're playing in a room together with some great material, anything beyond that is a bonus

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2016 00:51

KRiffhard
Rip This
KRiffhard
Hairball

thumbs upthumbs up

I've just been comparing his being anti-nostalgia and old-fashioned equipment with his use of drum loop and Pro-Tools. That's all.

His most recent solo work and guest artist work is most likely all done on Pro Tools, with real instruments, though. A BIGGER BANG was done on Pro Tools as far as I've ever read and is possibly the only Stones album recorded completely digitally.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 17, 2016 00:55

"The thing about Pro Tools is that it's easier and most of all cheaper to use. When I worked with the Stones on Bridges To Babylon [1997], we spent $200,000 on two-inch tape. We had so many reels that we had to hire a daytime and a night-time librarian, whose sole gig it was to find the tapes that we wanted! We ran tape all the time. Just that jam with Keith for the song 'How Can I Stop' cost $2000!

"How did I keep track of what the good takes were? You generally know immediately what your best takes are. We may have made a few wrong decisions, but you know when you hit it. It wasn't like we were doing 900 takes of something. It was more a matter of writing songs on the spot. And we ran things off in stereo. We had 75 DAT tapes
(not edited for redundancy!)for that album, and they were all numbered and the tape librarian knew exactly what reel it came from. So let met put Pro Tools in perspective: for A Bigger Bang [2005], which was entirely recorded in Pro Tools, we spent only about $1400 on hard drives!"

Don Was

[www.performing-musician.com]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:25

Elton should do some keyboards on the new album. He was a good session player before his career took off. It might be a change from Chuck, too, even if only for a song or two.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 17, 2016 01:34

marianna
Elton should do some keyboards on the new album. He was a good session player before his career took off. It might be a change from Chuck, too, even if only for a song or two.

Oh dear. Can't imagine how that would go...the diva meter would go through the roof.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 17, 2016 10:35

Whe Mick was 25 he sounded older on the terrific two trains. He sounded pretty cool on love is strong ,in 1994. But too often he tries to sing like 25 year old. They should try to actually write songs that has a meaning to them. Like Bowie on blackstar. And Mick should try to calm down and try to communicaate something.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2143
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home