Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Elton John's Suggestion to the Rolling Stones
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 14, 2016 17:01

From one Sir to another... And may be play Las Vegas more often... And may be tour every year like Elton... They are catching up actually...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2016 17:24

keefriff99
Hairball
Hats off to Elton, but many of us have been saying this for years!
Indeed. This is not exactly a deeply profound and revelatory sentiment that Elton is expressing, particularly amongst us die-hard fans. Nevertheless, I agree with him to a point.

On the other hand, I can see why Mick would be reluctant. There is nothing the Stones can do with blues that hasn't already been done a million times before, and far better (particularly by them in their prime). I don't know if there's some unique take the Stones and some hotshot producer can add to the blues to make it artistically worthwhile, to REALLY crack the code and go deeper into the medium.

As joyous as it is to hear the Stones jamming to the blues, I see the risk of such a project coming off as too safe and conservative.

Well yes, I wasn't necessarily stressing Elton's point about them focusing on a 'blues' album (for some of the reasons you stated), I should have been more clear.
Rather, I was agreeing with the rest of his statement - specifically:

I think Mick [Jagger] wants to still be one of them on the radio — they’re not — and I think Keith would love to do a record like that,” John said “That’s what they should be doing. I’ve tried to tell Mick that. I’ve put him together with T. Bone [Burnett], but, ‘Nah, he uses all those old-fashioned equipment.’”

Even Elton realizes the problem many of us have talked about for years - trying to write hits, but plagued with too much overproduction and state of the art gimmickry.

A 100% blues album would probably be boring and anti-climatic at this point. Instead they could record one or two blues tunes, a country tune (or two), a reggae tune, an r&b tune (or two), a 50's rocker, a soul tune (or two), a vintage '70's Stones style rocker (or two), and maybe a funky jam style tune where Mick shouts through a megaphone. Keep the production simple and free of any unnecessary crap....that's what I'm talking about.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 14, 2016 17:37

HMS
The Stones will do what they want to do and will never take or accept advise from nobody. The Stones do not need anybody to tell them what to do, they know themselves, they´re the Stones. Nobody knows better what´s best for the Stones but the Stones themselves.

A pure Blues-album would undoubtfully be a very very boring thing to listen to. The Stones do know that.

"Repeating the model of ABB" could turn out to be very exciting and very fruitful. A straight forward album with stripped down arrangements, decent Stones-rockers, a bit funk, a bit reggae, one or two ballads sounds marvelous to me. They still can kick ass, remember Doom And Gloom, a real great one.

A BIGGER BANG wasn't fruitful or exciting, in general or very. It was just a Stones album, their first and only of the 21st century, which means absolutely nothing. How many Stones albums have "stripped down arrangements" and all that other crap you mentioned? A lot of them do. As proven, they need to stay away from reggae and funk, one of which they thankfully have stayed away from and the other, they've only done one "recently", the rather yawning Suck On The Jugular.

Flip The Switch and Rough Justice is the Stones kicking ass. Doom And Gloom was OK but it's no ass kicker.

Date: January 14, 2016 17:47

GasLightStreet
HMS
The Stones will do what they want to do and will never take or accept advise from nobody. The Stones do not need anybody to tell them what to do, they know themselves, they´re the Stones. Nobody knows better what´s best for the Stones but the Stones themselves.

A pure Blues-album would undoubtfully be a very very boring thing to listen to. The Stones do know that.

"Repeating the model of ABB" could turn out to be very exciting and very fruitful. A straight forward album with stripped down arrangements, decent Stones-rockers, a bit funk, a bit reggae, one or two ballads sounds marvelous to me. They still can kick ass, remember Doom And Gloom, a real great one.

A BIGGER BANG wasn't fruitful or exciting, in general or very. It was just a Stones album, their first and only of the 21st century, which means absolutely nothing. How many Stones albums have "stripped down arrangements" and all that other crap you mentioned? A lot of them do. As proven, they need to stay away from reggae and funk, one of which they thankfully have stayed away from and the other, they've only done one "recently", the rather yawning Suck On The Jugular.

Flip The Switch and Rough Justice is the Stones kicking ass. Doom And Gloom was OK but it's no ass kicker.

You didn't notice the rain falling down, I see smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 18:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 14, 2016 17:49

Even Elton realizes the problem many of us have talked about for years - trying to write hits, but plagued with too much overproduction and state of the art gimmickry.

A 100% blues album would probably be boring and anti-climatic at this point. Instead they could record one or two blues tunes, a country tune (or two), a reggae tune, an r&b tune (or two), a 50's rocker, a soul tune (or two), a vintage '70's Stones style rocker (or two), and maybe a funky jam style tune where Mick shouts through a megaphone. Keep the production simple and free of any unnecessary crap....that's what I'm talking about.[/quote]

lol the only prop in the studio. Keith removed everything else winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 14, 2016 18:00

Maindefender
Hairball

A 100% blues album would probably be boring and anti-climatic at this point. Instead they could record one or two blues tunes, a country tune (or two), a reggae tune, an r&b tune (or two), a 50's rocker, a soul tune (or two), a vintage '70's Stones style rocker (or two), and maybe a funky jam style tune where Mick shouts through a megaphone. Keep the production simple and free of any unnecessary crap....that's what I'm talking about.

lol the only prop in the studio. Keith removed everything else winking smiley

Yes, and it would be an old school acoustic megaphone - not some newfangled version - something like this:

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 18:02 by Hairball.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 14, 2016 18:22

Hopefully the simple fact that Elton John is now offering the Rolling Stones recording advice will be enough to shock Mick into opening his mind. Unfortunately it might have the opposite effect - even more self consciousness and insecurity about releasing new music.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 14, 2016 18:33

The last time Mick got positive "advice" (to say it euphemistically) was at the end of the 70s when punk kicked in. The message of punk was simple: have fun, don't pretend, be wild, go crazy. Oh, and have fun. And even though Mick and Keith didn't agree on the merits of punk (or disco), the message helped the Stones, for a short while, kicking some ass again.
Unfortunately, punk evolved into new-wave and the Stones evolved into what they are now.
Elton is 100% right about the main problem (but not about the solution): Keith and Mick not agreeing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 18:34 by matxil.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 14, 2016 18:45

Smartest thing Elton has said since "It's 7 o'clock and I wanna rock, wanna get a belly full of beer". Oh yeah, Bernie said that.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 14, 2016 18:46

matxil
The last time Mick got positive "advice" (to say it euphemistically) was at the end of the 70s when punk kicked in. The message of punk was simple: have fun, don't pretend, be wild, go crazy. Oh, and have fun. And even though Mick and Keith didn't agree on the merits of punk (or disco), the message helped the Stones, for a short while, kicking some ass again.
Unfortunately, punk evolved into new-wave and the Stones evolved into what they are now.
Elton is 100% right about the main problem (but not about the solution): Keith and Mick not agreeing.

But they recorded Some Girls a return to form and in IMHO an innovative and great Album. grinning smiley

Date: January 14, 2016 18:55

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
HMS

You didn't notice the rain falling down, I see smiling smiley

That ain't funk!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 14, 2016 19:55

It´s funky, imo.
One of the best tracks on the album.
Btw, Suck On The Jugular is gorgeous, just like Sexdrive. When the Stones funk up a tune, the result is always great. So some funk would be nice for the new album (if there´ll ever be one).

Date: January 14, 2016 19:58

Your opinion is wrong. It might be funky but it ain't funk.

Suck On The Jugular is a nice attempt but it's still pedestrian at best.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:23

Elton's "Honky Tonk Women" is pretty funky though.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:31

Make an album about dead blondes!

Date: January 14, 2016 20:37

The Stones haven't done anything remotely close to what they started out as. Why should they?

And why do people keep insisting that they have one more great album in them like EXILE or that they'll pull off something like EXILE?

They aren't that band.

They'll do what they do, it'll probably be a continuation of what started in 1994, the first gap, five years after STEEL WHEELS: a lot of tunes that should be left behind or just put on YouTube.

We should be feel lucky that they got back to it so soon after the VOODOO tour and did the bizarre BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Otherwise those awful tunes they did for FORTY LICKS might be worse and the gap between VOODOO and A BIGGER BANG wouldn't have an album in between them!

If they do a new one it'll probably just be a continuation of what they did with BRIDGES and BANG - a bunch of bad Mick songs, a couple of good Mick songs and whatever Keith contributes.

It's fine, it'll be fine - we're used to it. Just have zero expectations. I can guarantee this: it won't be as bad as DIRTY WORK, it'll be better than DIRTY WORK (hell, my dog's barking is better than DIRTY WORK). Fortunately everything they've done is better than DIRTY WORK.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: January 14, 2016 20:46

I've said this many times but a blues album would be a terrible idea, mostly because Charlie plays way too stiff these days for the blues. Ironically, he doesn't "swing".

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 14, 2016 21:03

jlowe
Elton should do a covers album....his last efforts are a pale shadow on his 70s and 80s work.

Rubbish ! The Diving Board and The Union with Leon Russell are brilliant.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 14, 2016 21:09

When they throw in a blues, it´s usually a treat. But an entire album would be boring like hell. Every song would sound alike. Plus, the Stones dont have a virtuoso guitar player that could lift the songs above the usual blues routine. A blues album by the Stones would sound like 6 x Back Of My Hand plus 5 x Fancy Man Blues. That would bore the hell out even of the most fanatic fans. The critics would laugh till they wet their pants and say "we´ve told you for 4 decades that the Stones are boring old farts". Catchy songs with punch is what they need and they have to let the guitars ring very upfront, beautifully trading licks back and forth and weaving, weaving, weaving.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 14, 2016 21:51

Boognish
I've said this many times but a blues album would be a terrible idea, mostly because Charlie plays way too stiff these days for the blues. Ironically, he doesn't "swing".

Now now Boognish. (okay I really have nothing to say, I just wanted to type the word Boognish…..winking smiley )

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 14, 2016 21:56

GaslightStreet and HMS - All i can say is that I agree with both of you as far as your last posts are concerned. Well said, gentlemen.thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 21:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 14, 2016 22:07

Mick is gonna do what Mick is gonna do. Doom & Gloom & Rough Justice were great singles, with Doom & Gloom having a very modern sound. Of course they should do a couple blues tunes on a new album, but yeah, they don't have Brian, or Taylor, or even Bill to lift those songs. As much as I liked hearing Back of My Hand, it was pretty reminiscent of them around Sticky Fingers. I don't care what they do, as long as it sounds good. No Chuck Berry crap filler from Keith, or croaking vocals if the lyrics and feeling aren't strong like they were in the past. They can't be the old stones, because the old stones are long gone. They aren't on that mountaintop any longer. They really are Torn and Frayed.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:15

if they want a winning formula then they should follow their own and put out something similar to Some Girls out takes....best new Stones "album" in forever.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:39

I think the best result from Elton's comments would be for the boys to get together and Say "@#$%& Elton" we're going to record a rock-n-roll album because we're The Rolling Stones....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:44

Well as long as the only say that and don't actually attempt to do it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:54

maybe they should just do another greatest hits album.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:59

Tiny Todger In The Wind

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:08

Honkin On Bobo part 2......no thanks

I want to see the Stones shoot for one last great original album, thats not to say it should not include a cover or two. But I would Love more than anything to see them come out (or go out) with a big hit or hey maybe a few big hits. The pressure is off and hopes are high.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:10

MisterO
Honkin On Bobo part 2......no thanks

I want to see the Stones shoot for one last great original album, thats not to say it should not include a cover or two. But I would Love more than anything to see them come out (or go out) with a big hit or hey maybe a few big hits. The pressure is off and hopes are high.

thumbs up

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:19

Make a blues album? They can't even play their own blues or the covers from the 60's.

IMO, their sound is devoid of that Stonesy rhythm without Bill Wyman's playing.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home