Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: I wish more people posted on iorr
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 11, 2015 13:31

Redhotcarpet
One reason could be some of the periodical bannings and also the policing in some threads.

What do you mean by "policing", Redhotcarpet?

I ask because I've been accused of that (and worse), just for correcting a factual error.
I care about historical accuracy, and I also know a lot more people are reading iorr than are posting here.
Some of us have even had the exciting experience of posting some speculation here and then finding it reported as fact
by one gossip site, which then gets picked up by another gossip site, and then the tabloids get ahold of it
and the next thing you know it's embedded in the historical record as if it were a fact.

It's not "policing" or a put-down of anyone to correct a factual error. We all make them sometimes.
And we're all better off if we know the facts. Aren't we?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 13:32 by with sssoul.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: October 11, 2015 13:48

There are a lot of threats which are talking to nothing.

"" What would you like to ask for"" or ""which 3 questions would you ask to : Jagger,
Richards,??? DREAMING???

I'm nearer by 70 than 60 of age.
I can't see in 35 of age in peoples mind about The Stones.

A LOT OF STUPID QUESTIONS ARE HERE ON. i.m.o.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 14:05 by tioms.

Date: October 11, 2015 15:29

with sssoul
Redhotcarpet
One reason could be some of the periodical bannings and also the policing in some threads.

I ask because I've been accused of that (and worse), just for correcting a factual error.
I care about historical accuracy, and I also know a lot more people are reading iorr than are posting here.
Some of us have even had the exciting experience of posting some speculation here and then finding it reported as fact
by one gossip site, which then gets picked up by another gossip site, and then the tabloids get ahold of it
and the next thing you know it's embedded in the historical record as if it were a fact.

It's not "policing" or a put-down of anyone to correct a factual error. We all make them sometimes.

Important post thumbs up

Date: October 11, 2015 15:31

tioms
There are a lot of threats which are talking to nothing.

"" What would you like to ask for"" or ""which 3 questions would you ask to : Jagger,
Richards,??? DREAMING???

I'm nearer by 70 than 60 of age.
I can't see in 35 of age in peoples mind about The Stones.

A LOT OF STUPID QUESTIONS ARE HERE ON. i.m.o.

So let's make some threads that aren't stupid, then? It's your golden opportunity thumbs up

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 11, 2015 15:51

Been on this board for 18 years

The editing policy has got tougher, for some reasons that makes sense

Bv has a tough job together a drawing line between some acceptable bad vibes and one step beyond, also editing and regrouping topics (also it is not always too clear), and first and foremost: deliver always valuable Stones news...

IORR is still a very valuable place for pure musical intel, even sometimes obscured by too heated semantic debates..

Yes with the years going on, it is I guess less spontaneous, less funny, well because, it's better to have access to the club than to be banned... We are a few here, I think who feel that obligation of needed self discipline - Also, because, it takes time to deliver a valuable, new imput, and some really here are to be blessed for that..

Well, coming back to the thread...

I wish we have a WALL here for the missing persons

- IORR members who have been banned

- IORR members who have passed away

- fellow IORR members who have turn their back, going in other directions..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 11, 2015 15:57

crumbling_mice
TO add further to the debate I would suggest that sometimes the subtle and not so subtle differences in where we reside can cause misunderstandings. THose of you in the US tend to be very positive, sometimes to the point where it grates a little to non US, whereas in the UK we like to moan, it's kind of a national pastime but much of it is tongue in cheek and gets misconstrewed as an attack or generally being unhelpful. FOr those who are neither in the US or UK this forum must be a minefield, as they first have to translate and then try and work out sarcasm, irony and other subtlties of the English language. As always I have nothing but immense admiration for not native English speakers and those who post on IORR put me to shame in that I can barely get by in any other language than English.

My point being that ist is very easy for people to get offended when it's not intentional. THose of us with thick skin, couldn't give a flying @#$%& what people think or say, but we have to accept that some of us are sensitive souls who take things personally. I post on many forums covering a wide range of issues and IORR is certainly one the more polite boards and generally policed well by it's users and Thor himself.

We all get shot down from time to time and that is the beauty of this place it's another part of life's rich tapestry. I love the fact that some people rate Dirty Work, it intrigues me as to how or why, similarly I love the wave of admiration for Keith's new recording, which to me is just a very average work....thank God we don't all agree, it would get very dull. I've got my tin hat on so I'm ready to be ignored or deal with the villagers with pitchforks and burning branches. eye popping smiley

Great post, mice. I think the international aspect of IORR is one of it's biggest strengths and I have nothing but admiration for those brave souls who come on here to post in a language which is foreign to them. I wish I could speak or write in another language - always regretted that I couldn't really communicate with my grandfather when he was alive.

Some post more than others all the time, some are prolific at times and then silent at others. As long as it isn't out of line - post whatever you want, whenever you want. Just put on your big girl pants first. grinning smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 11, 2015 17:09

Thank you kindly latebloomer, I think I bust a button on me trousers...smileys with beer

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 11, 2015 22:01

with sssoul
Redhotcarpet

Very well said. thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 11, 2015 22:16

latebloomer
Great post, mice.

Yes indeed

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2015 22:18

with sssoul

Things get misinterpreted easily on the internet - even kindness. So we all need to be tolerant
and we all also need to learn to take it in stride when we don't get the response we expect.

Thank you

-------------------

Date: October 11, 2015 22:18

with sssoul

True again

-------------------

Re: I love the Rolling Stones
Date: October 11, 2015 23:08

Thank you Dandelion dear, Cristiano sweetie and Rolling Hansie honey -
your encouraging words are very appreciated :E

Date: October 11, 2015 23:25

with sssoul

You're welcome, sssoul. I can totally relate myself with what you wrote because I already done that. Sometimes we make some mistakes and it's always good to know that the department of historical accuracy it's always ready to point what's wrong or to add some more infos into the discussion. On my behalf I can say that I've never felt upset when this happened to me, actually it's the extreme opposite. We've got to be thankful for having here a lot of wise and well-informed posters. smileys with beer

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 12, 2015 01:07

Cristiano Radtke
with sssoul

You're welcome, sssoul. I can totally relate myself with what you wrote because I already done that. Sometimes we make some mistakes and it's always good to know that the department of historical accuracy it's always ready to point what's wrong or to add some more infos into the discussion. On my behalf I can say that I've never felt upset when this happened to me, actually it's the extreme opposite. We've got to be thankful for having here a lot of wise and well-informed posters. smileys with beer

And even if they are not so personally well informed, everybody's an expert these days with their smart phones and their tablets. LOL We even pause movies sometimes to answer questions that arise during the film. No question goes unanswered and no bold assertion unchecked.

The scary part is how well we can be manipulated by information that is disseminated for that purpose and how confident some people are in anything they read on the internet. There are some hackers out there that are having fun putting out false information and watching blogs and other news outlets pick it up and re-report it. We've all certainly seen stuff most likely from iorr picked up by other sites around tour time.

Cristiano you certainly deserve a nod for the many times you have come to people's aid with well researched information, links and general great Stones stuff. I dig that helping each other vibe that shines through this place!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 12, 2015 01:53

Everything posted on this page makes sense and gives me hope again. smiling smiley Well said with sssoul, DP, Cristiano, crumbling_mice, latebloomer, Joker, Naturalust, et al.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:15

As has been noted, some posters now favour another site. Why, I'll never know. Is typing swear words really that pleasurable?

It matters not where people post, but it accounts for some who used to post here but don't anymore.

Olly.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:16

Things are getting to cuddly around here. Isn't it time for another banning spree soon? Before we all start singing Kumbaya...

Posted by: shugmaglumfer ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:29

Hey I've just joined again,I've been on only a handful of times but enjoy reading posts and have downloaded loads of bootleg stuff from here which I appreciate very much.I have been a Stones fan for over twenty years and love all the decades/eras.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:45

crumbling mice, good stuff on cultural differences, excellent.

Weighing in here, first, keefriffhards, thanks for the topic. Hope you come back after a break.

As one more on the sensitive side, yet also appreciative of those hardier souls, I tend to hold back some of what I may want to say in anticipatory fear of that blunt keyboard (ha, thanks, bathsheba.) For example I could talk about the different kinds of humor I see around, generalizing about countries. I could say while near Amsterdam, possibly my favorite place in the world to visit, I once questioned a Dutch woman in line for a meal at a museum. She had made a few remarks that I considered on the mean side. (I had discussed the issue with a few natives beforehand.) I asked her, "Is that your idea of a funny comment?" She answered yes and I said okay, thinking I didn't find it funny, rather blunt to the point of contempt or at least hostility. Then again, at the time I was with a Dutch couple who were the nicest people in the world, but the husband especially did have an edge to his humor. I mean I could say all that, but I probably wouldn't on here, not wanting to promote stereotypes or have some people decide to hate me forever. cool smiley

Actually on the humor topic, I saw one post in this topic I thought was meant sarcastically, and another poster took it totally seriously. So, without the smiley faces, it's sometimes hard to tell what's up.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 12, 2015 04:29

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:40 by colonial.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 12, 2015 04:45

angee
crumbling mice, good stuff on cultural differences, excellent.

Weighing in here, first, keefriffhards, thanks for the topic. Hope you come back after a break.

As one more on the sensitive side, yet also appreciative of those hardier souls, I tend to hold back some of what I may want to say in anticipatory fear of that blunt keyboard (ha, thanks, bathsheba.) For example I could talk about the different kinds of humor I see around, generalizing about countries. I could say while near Amsterdam, possibly my favorite place in the world to visit, I once questioned a Dutch woman in line for a meal at a museum. She had made a few remarks that I considered on the mean side. (I had discussed the issue with a few natives beforehand.) I asked her, "Is that your idea of a funny comment?" She answered yes and I said okay, thinking I didn't find it funny, rather blunt to the point of contempt or at least hostility. Then again, at the time I was with a Dutch couple who were the nicest people in the world, but the husband especially did have an edge to his humor. I mean I could say all that, but I probably wouldn't on here, not wanting to promote stereotypes or have some people decide to hate me forever. cool smiley

Actually on the humor topic, I saw one post in this topic I thought was meant sarcastically, and another poster took it totally seriously. So, without the smiley faces, it's sometimes hard to tell what's up.

Great points about the cultural stuff. I think it must not only apply towards humor but other concepts like genres and how we describe and categorize certain music. It's a universal language and we are all hearing the same thing but we can really struggle sometimes on which box we try to put it in with our language, or at least I've bumped into that here.

As far as your comments on rudeness, there are cultural differences within the US too as you probably know. I remember visiting NYC for the first time and being a bit shocked at how seemingly mean and rude people were interacting only to learn that it was more endearing than I thought and a sign people liked you or were at least comfortable enough with you to josh in such a manner.

And of course when learning a new language, subtle humor and sarcasm are some of the most difficult things to grasp, it often takes reading tone and body language to initially understand, something totally lost on an anonymous internet forum.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: October 12, 2015 07:05

I just sent in for a new password after reading this topic. The last time I added my thoughts on this board was probably more than five years ago. I am from the USA. I am a very long time fan who really enjoys this site. I discovered the Stones around 1966/1967.

The reason I stopped posting my comments on the site was that it seemed that " regulars " would be very judgmental and critical of my comments. I can understand how it might be fun to throw a couple of off color remarks off... but really at the end of the day ...some folks get down right nasty of what fellow fans might think about a topic.

It got to a point where I thought...Why am I responding to this stuff. I use the site to explore band history and to find out about tour information. I share that with everyone I know. I also watch for any other important information concerning new releases of cds and dvds. AND I also read the comments for other OT topics because I love music.

I know some people are thinking...WAH,WAH,WAH, but I would say that this is a legitimate reason why there might be a lack of new posts / contributors.

So even though I love this site, I can understand why people would be hesitant to become regular contributors.That's too bad when the major purpose of the site is to inform and entertain fellow Rolling Stone fans.

Having said all of this...I will to continue to log in everyday to find out new developments in the Stones world and maybe now and then throw in a thought or two!

Sincerely, A true Stones Fan.

Date: October 12, 2015 07:26

Naturalust
Cristiano Radtke
with sssoul

And even if they are not so personally well informed, everybody's an expert these days with their smart phones and their tablets. LOL We even pause movies sometimes to answer questions that arise during the film. No question goes unanswered and no bold assertion unchecked.

The scary part is how well we can be manipulated by information that is disseminated for that purpose and how confident some people are in anything they read on the internet. There are some hackers out there that are having fun putting out false information and watching blogs and other news outlets pick it up and re-report it. We've all certainly seen stuff most likely from iorr picked up by other sites around tour time.

Cristiano you certainly deserve a nod for the many times you have come to people's aid with well researched information, links and general great Stones stuff. I dig that helping each other vibe that shines through this place!

Thank you, Naturalust!

But I must say that actually we still have no answers about who is Anita's friend. grinning smiley

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: October 12, 2015 07:37

A lot of the disagreements here seem to be due to the fact that there are factions, or cohorts, or generations, or whatever, of Stones fans posting. There are a few who have been there since Brian was a big deal, and there are a few more who started following the band in 1969 or 1972/73. The majority of posters here seem to have caught on around 1981. There are some GenXers like me who started following the Stones in the early '90s, and there are even a few who are new Stones fans. But everyone seems to prefer their honeymoon Stones, i.e., the band they grew up with. It's a bell curve that peaked around '81.

I must admit, I'm a little thin-skinned about one topic: VOODOO LOUNGE. I was 17 when that album came out. It is the reason I got into the band and it's why I"m still actively reading Stones-related stuff like IORR.

I really love the "Big 4", and I really appreciate Mick Taylor's contribution to the whole thing, and Brian Jones was great. But Voodoo Lounge is still in my top five, and it will stay there. I guess I just don't understand how fellow Stones fans can summarily dismiss something that is not too dissimilar to what they hold in such high esteem.

And Keith's new album is great, too. I don't care what anybody says. I just received my vinyl copy and am listening to it properly for the first time.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 12, 2015 09:23

Welcome back Bassaleman. I like your comments, couldn't agree more. By the way I have to ask if you like Bass Ale? I used to drink a lot of it in Madrid back in the late 80's when I lived there.

Date: October 12, 2015 10:08

Hello again bassaleman!
I'm sorry people get treated so roughly they end up leaving.
I hope the CloudCat doesn't go silent after being roughly treated in this very thread.
And meanwhile: Sharks, I'm a "first wave" fan and I love Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:55

Olly
As has been noted, some posters now favour another site. Why, I'll never know. Is typing swear words really that pleasurable?

lol

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 12, 2015 14:20

People have to stop looking for validation of their lives, views,etc., on the internet. If anything someone posts online "bothers" you, you should take a hard look at how your spending your time.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 12, 2015 14:29

bassaleman
I just sent in for a new password after reading this topic. The last time I added my thoughts on this board was probably more than five years ago. I am from the USA. I am a very long time fan who really enjoys this site. I discovered the Stones around 1966/1967.

The reason I stopped posting my comments on the site was that it seemed that " regulars " would be very judgmental and critical of my comments. I can understand how it might be fun to throw a couple of off color remarks off... but really at the end of the day ...some folks get down right nasty of what fellow fans might think about a topic.

It got to a point where I thought...Why am I responding to this stuff. I use the site to explore band history and to find out about tour information. I share that with everyone I know. I also watch for any other important information concerning new releases of cds and dvds. AND I also read the comments for other OT topics because I love music.

I know some people are thinking...WAH,WAH,WAH, but I would say that this is a legitimate reason why there might be a lack of new posts / contributors.

So even though I love this site, I can understand why people would be hesitant to become regular contributors.That's too bad when the major purpose of the site is to inform and entertain fellow Rolling Stone fans.

Having said all of this...I will to continue to log in everyday to find out new developments in the Stones world and maybe now and then throw in a thought or two!

Sincerely, A true Stones Fan.

Hello bassaleman, Happy Columbus Day!! Damn we are lucky to still have the Stones in our lives.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 12, 2015 14:42

with sssoul
Hello again bassaleman!
I'm sorry people get treated so roughly they end up leaving.
I hope the CloudCat doesn't go silent after being roughly treated in this very thread.
And meanwhile: Sharks, I'm a "first wave" fan and I love Voodoo Lounge.

No hard feeling ssoul, and cloudcat your lovely too, im pleased i started this thread and i think some good has come out of it. See you guys soon, bye for now.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2115
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home