Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: We need more pessimism
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 13, 2015 16:45

Turner68
keefriffhards
NICOS
Everybody must be pessimistic sometimes.....only no need to show or tell it to others.......

What about being pessimistic in this way.
I think the Stones should only play 3 shows a week because they are getting old.
That is constructive thoughtful criticism that shows a caring attitude,but its pessimistic

That's optimistic because it's more than they have been playing!

yeah right you are Turner, i believe its twice a week

That's a hell of a lot of hanging around in Hotels

How they motivate themselves to do it at their age is beyond me

Its not like they can go for a swim or hang out with the other guests

They would be hounded by people i would imagine

They really must love what they do, well obviously they do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-13 17:00 by keefriffhards.

Re: IORR smalltalk
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2015 18:29

Green Lady
Well, now we know the answer - it doesn't matter whether you're optimistic or pessimistic, because it will all get merged into the same thread!

And now the thread title has been changed to small talk...is this small enough?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 13, 2015 19:06

One day in many years from now they will dig into IORR and try to understand how life was back in the old days. There will be a team of experts who will report to the Big Boss. Their task will be how to save the planet by the study of human beings while they still had a bit of mind on their own, and not just consumed by the big ones. Then they will look into every IORR thread with more than 1,000 posts. I am just trying to make saving the planet a bit more easy. A million not so important threads just vanishing into cyberspace in a week or so are not really going to help anyone, except for the ego of the few. Think big. There is a future beyond next week.

Bjornulf

Date: October 13, 2015 19:44

I think i know what you mean BV, but you changed the thread title to a completely different meaning. Asking why so many people are not posting on iorr is a big question for iorr. Its as important a question as any because it is the people posting that make iorr. All the information is coming from people who take the time to post on here. I don't see it as small talk. The more people post the more information will become known to all of us. Its nice to know what the Rolling Stones mean to 'everyone', not just 20 people that post on here all the time. So i am sorry you merged this thread in particular as it was bringing people out of their shells to have their say. It also shows that no matter what regular posters say to defend themselves, sometimes they intimidate a lot of people. People feel like they don't belong, or that they are joining in to a private conversation. i hope i don't get banned for speaking my mind.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 13, 2015 20:17

Where do you get the impression that "people feel like they don't belong" ?

And does it matter how many people post? Lots of folks enjoy to read without posting.

Date: October 13, 2015 20:22

Koen
Where do you get the impression that "people feel like they don't belong" ?

And does it matter how many people post? Lots of folks enjoy to read without posting.

Never mind

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 13, 2015 20:32

No worries

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 13, 2015 20:33

I have been running IORR since 1980 - for thirtyfive - 35 - years as we speak. The main purpose of IORR is information. May be smalltalk too, at a certain degree, but information comes first. If there is one thread with important information and hundred threads with smalltalk then I have failed as an editor. So I merge three smalltalk threads into one. Big deal. End of the world. Please don't take it personally...

By "smalltalk" I mean a thread that is nice, you talk about life and people, but it is not vital information, you must not read it in order to survive as a Stones fan. However, the fact that the Stones will end their South America tour in Cuba is very important for a Stones fan, in my opinion. Sucha post, such a thread needs to be visible, but the more smalltalk it is, the less visible is the real information.

There are 32 threads on the first page of the Tell Me forum pages. Today there are 2 sticky, then 12 Off Topics, 4 smalltalk threads, then the remaining 14 threads i.e. less than 50% are more than just "I like this" and "you like that". More than smalltalk. I would say there is lots of space for off topic and smalltalk on IORR, but I will never accept the OT and smalltalk to grow any more dominant than it is today. It makes no sense to have more OT and smalltalk than real information. That is my editorial line. The editorial line has been the same for 19 years, since IORR went live in 1996, in fact for all the 35 years since 1980, and that is why IORR is on page one of google search for Rolling Stones related topics worldwide. Quality first, then quantity if it makes sense. That is the policy.

Bjornulf

Date: October 13, 2015 20:40

I see what you mean now. I understand. Thanks for explaining BV

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 13, 2015 21:12

Green Lady
Well, now we know the answer - it doesn't matter whether you're optimistic or pessimistic, because it will all get merged into the same thread!

Thank you Green Lady Merged is the answer to all our questions.
If a pessimistic person and optimistic person sitting at the bar, one with a glass half empty and one with a glass half full, then the optimistic person suggests to merge the glasses together......then the problem is solved they both have a full glass..............

Re: IORR smalltalk - IORR policy and more
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 13, 2015 21:34

What's the name of that bar NICOS ?.... I wanna drink there

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 13, 2015 21:35

to quote the fab four " love love me do i know ill love you so please love me do"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 13, 2015 23:33

Koen

There's such a thing as over-posting, too, which I guess eventually becomes the small talk that obscures the big talk.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:01

bv
It makes no sense to have more OT and smalltalk than real information. That is my editorial line. The editorial line has been the same for 19 years, since IORR went live in 1996, in fact for all the 35 years since 1980, and that is why IORR is on page one of google search for Rolling Stones related topics worldwide. Quality first, then quantity if it makes sense. That is the policy.

With all due respect, I don't think Google can distinguish between quality and quantity. LOL I tend to think the sheer amount of text based discussion of just about every thing related to the Stones is a large reason for the first page status. Not that I'm complaining, there is no doubt iorr is the #1 source for Stones information in the world. That is amazing and obviously something to be proud of!

I do recognize the fact that other discussions are a large part of the community here. Once we get to know each other and start talking the discussions are bound to drift a bit, it's all good from my perspective, there is only a limited amount of new Stones information at any given time and it is amazing the amount of old information that gains status and clarity through our continued discourse.

BTW: That first post about the merge here was hilarious. How can anybody be upset after an explanation like that? smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 14, 2015 00:08

bv
One day in many years from now they will dig into IORR and try to understand how life was back in the old days. There will be a team of experts who will report to the Big Boss. Their task will be how to save the planet by the study of human beings while they still had a bit of mind on their own, and not just consumed by the big ones. Then they will look into every IORR thread with more than 1,000 posts. I am just trying to make saving the planet a bit more easy. A million not so important threads just vanishing into cyberspace in a week or so are not really going to help anyone, except for the ego of the few. Think big. There is a future beyond next week.

I'll drink to that smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: October 16, 2015 15:01

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:40 by colonial.

Re: I wish more people posted on iorr
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 16, 2015 17:56

colonial
colonial
colonial
There will be a new IORR AND WORLD STONES POSTER any week now with the Great Gazza (who has 31,501 posts) slipping back to 3rd place Dandelion Powderman (Bard) will be No.1 and Rockman coming in at 2nd place.Rockman currently has more than Dandelion Powderman at this stage the ground DP made in the last few days on Rockman I can see he'd overtake him any day now and move to that No.1 position..smoking smiley

Things have slowed right up in the last 48 hours we could see a wild-card entry come up from behind and take this title out yet with Rockman and DP joshing for position over second and third place its still in DP favour with it winter in the northern hemisphere as they say fans tend to post more in those months smoking smiley

DP's gonna have 2nd place wrapped up shortly there's only 11 between him and Rockman my money was on Rockman a few months ago to take out this title and bring it down to the Southern hemisphere..what a difference a few weeks can dosmoking smiley

They're tied now. grinning smiley

Date: October 16, 2015 18:27

Whaat? winking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 16, 2015 18:45

DandelionPowderman
Whaat? winking smiley

LOL! >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home