Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: I wish more people posted on iorr
Date: October 11, 2015 00:33

There is room for everybody on IORR. That's why it's the biggest fan board in the world.

There are people with a wide range of knowledge and competencies here, and only by reading this board one will learn a lot every day.

But the mechanics of how the board works is as logical as it is in real life. If you state something controversial (like saying that something that other fans love is crap - or insisting on challenging established facts without backing it up with anything), people will correct you.

That people are correcting or objecting doesn't mean that criticism isn't a good thing. In reality the correcting is also criticism, 99% of the time done of love for the Stones - not personal.

To be critical of fans or the Stones requires thick skin, as you're now and again bound to get a reply that not necessarily would be applause, to put it mildly.

Sometimes it's healthy that people come here and challenge facts, posters, board communication, IORR in general and the Stones. But the board won't be better unless these posters also aim to contribute something here.

Just my two cents.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 00:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Sorry, my fault.
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 11, 2015 00:48

Naturalust
I do find it a bit strange that the YouTube embedding videos and I Love the Rolling Stones threads got merged into this one

Sorry, my fault. Every now and then I like to change the header to "I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES". Just like I changed the header again this time smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: Sorry, my fault.
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 11, 2015 00:50

Rolling Hansie
Naturalust
I do find it a bit strange that the YouTube embedding videos and I Love the Rolling Stones threads got merged into this one

Sorry, my fault. Every now and then I like to change the header to "I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES". Just like I changed the header again this time smiling smiley

smileys with beer

I love Rolling Hansie!
Date: October 11, 2015 00:51

thumbs up

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 11, 2015 00:51

Naturalust
Whoo Hoo LBA72! Thanks for the post. Strangely, as you were probably typing your post I was making some lunch and you popped into my mind. I come back to the the computer and there you are. I realize it was no coincidence and am still smiling.

I understand what you are saying, why you think you are not a current enough fan to be posting here much but must admit, it is a poorer place without you. Your knowledge about music in general and you style of writing have always been a pleasure read here. I think that there is true value in having you on board beyond your perceived pedigree as a fan. This place is about community, connections and music discussions as much as it is about fandom of the current Stones...pretty sure I'm not alone in my feeling about that. Don't be a stranger, you have been missed. smoking smiley

Its probably an embarrassing thing to ask you in front of everyone NL
Are you psychic, you seem to be hinting that you are when you new longbeach was sending a post to you. I came back to the computer and had a feeling he was going to post . I have had the gift all my life, i know the future, put it that way. Now i set my self up for some real ridicule but i'm past caring about what people think.

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Date: October 11, 2015 00:52

DandelionPowderman
Sometimes it's healthy that people come here and challenge facts, posters, board communication, IORR in general and the Stones.

Sometimes yeah, but not all the time eh

-------------------

Re: I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Date: October 11, 2015 00:55

Rolling Hansie
DandelionPowderman
Sometimes it's healthy that people come here and challenge facts, posters, board communication, IORR in general and the Stones.

Sometimes yeah, but not all the time eh

That was what I was trying to say, yes. smoking smiley

Re: Sorry, my fault.
Date: October 11, 2015 00:57

NICOS
smileys with beer

Yeah

-------------------

Re: I love Rolling Hansie!
Date: October 11, 2015 00:59

DandelionPowderman
thumbs up

Thank you, thank you ... you made me blush

-------------------

Date: October 11, 2015 01:04

LongBeachArena72
Naturalust

I do however miss posters like Gazza and others who have fled the field, and I value the infrequent posts by VideoJames and other truly connected people who have great stories and Stones information. I miss posters like LongBeachArena72 who was likely scared off by people calling him out for his different and not always towing the party line opinions, and posters like flacvinyl who had contributed great stuff here for many years and ended up starting his own forum during a particular heavy period of moderation. There are many many great posters who I don't see anymore for whatever reason, but I'm not going to get too excited about something I have no control over.

Hi, NL!

Just a quick note: I do still check in once or twice per week, just to see what's going on; happened to see your post above and thought I'd offer some thoughts.

I learned a valuable lesson from my (relatively) brief experience on IORR: this is a fan board and I am not really a fan. The Stones are my favorite rock'n'roll band and I continue to be fascinated by their legacy, their working methods in their prime, their influences, etc., etc.

I am a critic by nature, by temperament. I like to tear apart and try to analyze the work of my favorite painters, musicians, writers. I understand the fan-boy phenomenon but have never really shared that mind-set--other than a year or two in the 70's regarding a certain Mr. Bowie.

But it's hard, and perhaps a bit unfair, to bring that outlook to a fan board like IORR. Most people here love the band in all (or at least most of) its incarnations and do not really want to hear "whiners" like me point out what I regard as the sad truth regarding their modern-day output.

I did have fun with it for a while--the FREE KEITH from the shackles of that horrid M. Jagger, etc.--but after a bit you realize that you are offering the same old criticisms of the same old effusive praise. Ultimately it just gets dull.

I met great people here, a couple of whom I still correspond with, and even one or two like you, with whom I suspect I could be great friends in real life.

I never felt the "bullying" young riffhards is referring to, even when I would jump into the hornet's nest and suggest that perhaps CROSSEYED HEART might be a notch or two below LET IT BLEED. I was offended on a couple of occasions when people suggested I do some homework before asking a question or making a statement. But as others have said on this thread, you meet people like that in daily life all the time ... why should IORR be any different?

Final note, to sssoul: almost done--really!--with HOW THE BEATLES DESTROYED ROCK'N'ROLL. Will share my thoughts with you in a few days.

Bye, all -- rock on -- Mike.

Its good to hear from you longbeach , we may have completely different views on some things but i respect your views and its not what you say its how YOU say it, like no one else and in a different way to anyone else. Unique is the word i'm looking for, uncompromising is another, cant think of a better person to have a disagreement with

Take care
John

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Date: October 11, 2015 01:04

keefriffhards
Its probably an embarrassing thing to ask you in front of everyone

Easy as always. When you think it's embarrassing to ask the question ... smileys with beer ... and then don't ask the question

-------------------

Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: October 11, 2015 01:08

BluzDude
Maybe some people think...

....I'll post something of interest to me and see if anyone else is interested....

then when their posts have a lack of interest time after time, they go elsewhere

...almost like saying, "OK I get it, I'm not appreciated around here".

Maybe nobody thinks like that? I'm just saying......
Yeah. Or sometimes you can't post because everyone is obviously so much more knowledgeable than you are - but there's always going to be fan one-upmanship. I've got lots of questions I'd like answers too specifically about the music, but feel people sighing.

As everyone is saying - we shouldn't be too sensitive. But if you ARE sensitive, like Keefriffards (who endearingly wears his heart on his sleeve) then a blunt instrument like a keyboard can wound.

Date: October 11, 2015 01:08

Rolling Hansie
keefriffhards
Its probably an embarrassing thing to ask you in front of everyone

Easy as always. When you think it's embarrassing to ask the question ... smileys with beer ... and then don't ask the question

He dont have to answer, its optional, its not a problem to be psychic is it, maybe on iorr it is, but there you go, off topic, out of bounds, rules, regulations, censorship, dont you just love the freedom of it

Date: October 11, 2015 01:12

bathsheba
BluzDude

....I'll post something of interest to me and see if anyone else is interested....

then when their posts have a lack of interest time after time, they go elsewhere

Yeah. Or sometimes you can't post because everyone is obviously so much more knowledgeable than you are - but there's always going to be fan one-upmanship. I've got lots of questions I'd like answers too specifically about the music, but feel people sighing.

As everyone is saying - we shouldn't be too sensitive. But if you ARE sensitive, like Keefriffards (who endearingly wears his heart on his sleeve) then a blunt instrument like a keyboard can wound.

You got it mate , i am too sensitive for this place, its not good for my health, so on that note, cheers and gone

Date: October 11, 2015 01:22

keefriffhards
its not a problem to be psychic is it

I don't know. As far as I know I am not psychic, although sometimes I doubt very much, but then again I don't really care. Just trying to have as much fun as I can

-------------------

Date: October 11, 2015 01:28

keefriffhards
bathsheba
BluzDude

Hope you just mean you're going to bed with cup of cocoa, not "going" from IORR, Keefriffards? PLease don't go - your posts are brilliant and heartfelt.

You got it mate , i am too sensitive for this place, its not good for my health, so on that note, cheers and gone

Date: October 11, 2015 01:30

bathsheba
keefriffhards
bathsheba
BluzDude

Hope you just mean you're going to bed with cup of cocoa, not "going" from IORR, Keefriffards? PLease don't go - your posts are brilliant and heartfelt.

Date: October 11, 2015 01:32

bathsheba
bathsheba
keefriffhards
bathsheba
BluzDude

Don't go Keefriffards, please!

Date: October 11, 2015 01:37

bathsheba
bathsheba
bathsheba
keefriffhards
bathsheba
BluzDude

Bless your heart, but in all honesty i get really bad headaches when i'm on this site, i will come back soon enough but need to chill for a bit. Thanks for your support and concern though. take care

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 11, 2015 01:47

keefriffhards

Are you psychic, you seem to be hinting that you are when you new longbeach was sending a post to you. I came back to the computer and had a feeling he was going to post . I have had the gift all my life, i know the future, put it that way. Now i set my self up for some real ridicule but i'm past caring about what people think.

Well I'm not sure riffhards, I've had plenty of psychic experiences, from long distance communications to premonitions about future activities to down right visions of future events and powerful dreams which foretold coming events or gave me direction in decision making. Usually these have been short term experiences where the vision produced itself within minutes or hours of me having it. Very specific and clear stuff which can't be explained any other way really.

I tend to think we are all psychic on some level and some of us are just more aware and receptive to input we receive. I worked with a very famous psychic once to find a lost dog, she was in New York and works with police and other federal agencies on a regular basis. What she was able to tell me from 3000 miles away was just amazing and turned out to be very accurate. So compared to someone like her that is truly gifted and has developed those skills I would be hard pressed to call myself psychic in the traditional sense.

You mention you are sensitive and psychic and I believe those traits are necessarily found together. I too am sensitive to others thoughts and energy and sometimes feel overwhelmed in large crowds and big cities. Probably one reason I've chosen to live on large ranches in remote areas where the clutter from others is less distracting.

Who cares what everybody else thinks about the issue here, I respect that you are who and what you say you are. BTW: Songwriting is a kind of psychic process where you put up an antennae and in come the tunes, Keith has explained it that way many times and I too have experienced it. Cheers riffhards. smoking smiley

Date: October 11, 2015 02:18

Naturalust
keefriffhards

Well I'm not sure riffhards, I've had plenty of psychic experiences, from long distance communications to premonitions about future activities to down right visions of future events and powerful dreams which foretold coming events or gave me direction in decision making. Usually these have been short term experiences where the vision produced itself within minutes or hours of me having it. Very specific and clear stuff which can't be explained any other way really.

I tend to think we are all psychic on some level and some of us are just more aware and receptive to input we receive. I worked with a very famous psychic once to find a lost dog, she was in New York and works with police and other federal agencies on a regular basis. What she was able to tell me from 3000 miles away was just amazing and turned out to be very accurate. So compared to someone like her that is truly gifted and has developed those skills I would be hard pressed to call myself psychic in the traditional sense.

You mention you are sensitive and psychic and I believe those traits are necessarily found together. I too am sensitive to others thoughts and energy and sometimes feel overwhelmed in large crowds and big cities. Probably one reason I've chosen to live on large ranches in remote areas where the clutter from others is less distracting.

Who cares what everybody else thinks about the issue here, I respect that you are who and what you say you are. BTW: Songwriting is a kind of psychic process where you put up an antennae and in come the tunes, Keith has explained it that way many times and I too have experienced it. Cheers riffhards. smoking smiley

Wow thanks for your honesty NL . Im shocked and pleased at the same time, plus i feel a bit of a tit for showing jealousy towards you at times. I could go on about my psychic experiences but obviously this is not the place to do so. I meditate a lot and have lucid dreams when i know what's going to happen the next day plus i have always been able to project into the astral body. I think we are multidimensional beings and that this is just a passage we learn from. boy i got a lot of learning to do
I still say you got a good book in you to write, maybe its safer than the motorcross lol
see you guys in a week or so, you must need a break from my neurotic outburst's of insecurity lol bet your thinking what a drama queen
I too hate big cities and dislike large crowds so live in the country. Your right i think keith said that he see's himself as an antenna that picks up music from the air, he says he never feels like he has created something , rather he just picks it up out of the air. I remember he said he speaks to Lennon sometimes and judging by Crosseyed heart who is to say he's not channelling Lennon.
Cheers Naturalust

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 11, 2015 02:44

I wish people would stop being mean to me for not liking Dirty Work.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 11, 2015 05:40

keefriffhards
bathsheba
bathsheba
bathsheba
keefriffhards
bathsheba
BluzDude

Bless your heart, but in all honesty i get really bad headaches when i'm on this site, i will come back soon enough but need to chill for a bit. Thanks for your support and concern though. take care

K BYE!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 11, 2015 07:24

With the GRR tour and great recent tours it's time to decompress for me. Yes the Stones and IORR are magnificent but there's not much to discuss that is new right now. Still I come by and read the great stuff here a few times a week.

Date: October 11, 2015 10:27

Turner68

I wish people would stop being mean to me for liking Dirty Work smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 11, 2015 11:05

Rolling Hansie
Turner68

You can't win. In one thread people are complaining about all the negativity here, and in the next one someone else is leaving because the place is full of fan-boys and they can't stand it no more.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 11, 2015 11:49

Rolling Hansie
Turner68

Rule of thumb: whatever goes wrong, it's all to blame on Dirty Work.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 11, 2015 12:02

bathsheba
I've got lots of questions I'd like answers to specifically about the music, but feel people sighing.

Bathsheba, I think there are miles of people here who are very happy to be asked about the music, the guitars, etc.
That's something I personally have a very hard time with, because the slightest "who cares" or "that's obvious"
about musical stuff makes me feel like crawling under a rock, so I'd rather not ask -
but around here I do ask, and people respond with good information. Sometimes I have to ask two or three times
or ask for less technical explanations, or force myself to ignore a "who cares" or "that's obvious" or two,
but thanks to iorrians I feel like I have a pretty safe place to ask about musical stuff and guitars.

My own "specializations" are photos and band history, and I'm very glad if I can help someone by answering some questions.
One way of helping is pointing out books and internet resources where people can get reliable information,
and unfortunately I've seen a poster misread that as if he was being told to go away,
and he responded with a lot of accusations and insults - long term, even!
But pointing out good books and good resources is meant as a friendly form of help, not a brush-off -
so what can a poor sssoul do?

Things get misinterpreted easily on the internet - even kindness. So we all need to be tolerant
and we all also need to learn to take it in stride when we don't get the response we expect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-11 12:26 by with sssoul.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 11, 2015 12:36

TO add further to the debate I would suggest that sometimes the subtle and not so subtle differences in where we reside can cause misunderstandings. THose of you in the US tend to be very positive, sometimes to the point where it grates a little to non US, whereas in the UK we like to moan, it's kind of a national pastime but much of it is tongue in cheek and gets misconstrewed as an attack or generally being unhelpful. FOr those who are neither in the US or UK this forum must be a minefield, as they first have to translate and then try and work out sarcasm, irony and other subtlties of the English language. As always I have nothing but immense admiration for not native English speakers and those who post on IORR put me to shame in that I can barely get by in any other language than English.

My point being that ist is very easy for people to get offended when it's not intentional. THose of us with thick skin, couldn't give a flying @#$%& what people think or say, but we have to accept that some of us are sensitive souls who take things personally. I post on many forums covering a wide range of issues and IORR is certainly one the more polite boards and generally policed well by it's users and Thor himself.

We all get shot down from time to time and that is the beauty of this place it's another part of life's rich tapestry. I love the fact that some people rate Dirty Work, it intrigues me as to how or why, similarly I love the wave of admiration for Keith's new recording, which to me is just a very average work....thank God we don't all agree, it would get very dull. I've got my tin hat on so I'm ready to be ignored or deal with the villagers with pitchforks and burning branches. eye popping smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 11, 2015 12:58

One reason could be some of the periodical bannings and also the policing in some threads.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2040
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home