Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: We need less pessimism
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 12, 2015 09:27

I'm for less pessimism too, but there is reality as noted in above threads. I think the bottom line is we should at least try to tolerate each others opinions. After all we share a common bond "The Stones" and Rock And Roll Music. Cheers.

Re: I love the Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:11

In my experience the best way to engender more positive posts
is to post more positive posts myself. Jackflash1129, I recommend it!

I love the Rolling Stones

I LOVE THE ROLLING STONES
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:36

jackflash1129
Let's stop being a bunch of critics, and become fans again. What you all say?

Easy for me. I've never been a bunch of critics smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 12, 2015 10:37

Stoneage
I don't think you can command positive thinking.

Yeah, well, at least it is worth trying

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 12, 2015 12:16

jackflash1129
I feel like Stones fans spend way too much time complaining about the band they supposedly love. The Stones are by far the most reliable, consistently and enduringly great rock band of all time. We fans are very luck for them. Is every point of the stones career as great as say Exile? Of course not. But since the release of Some Girls in 78 (the end of what many consider the classic era), the stones have continued to every couple years release some killer tunes. Is every album a masterpiece? No. Are some tracks "stones by numbers"? Yeah, and if you don't take them too seriously you might just enjoy them too. Not every song is going to be "Gimmee Shelter", not every album "Sticky fingers", not every concert "Brussels". But damnit "Doom and Gloom" was a solid tune, The Zip Code tour was kickass, and the Sticky fonda show was one of the best concerts the stones have ever done, period. On top of that we contiune to get all these vault releases to enjoy. Let's stop being a bunch of critics, and become fans again. What you all say?

I really think one shall express one's actual views, but try to be more nuanced. If a good and/or interesting song still does not live up to being great, it may possibly be semi-great. If another song is less than outright good, it is not necessarily bad (or as many use that term. "filler" ), but may be either quite good or alternatively at least OK. (If one wish, expressed in more elegant terms.)

And if some do not want the estimation "great" to be too cheaply obtained, they might perhaps say that a song or an album can be "one star great", "two star great" and "three star great". (For instance, something like that.) From myself I won't demand such a fine-graded estimation of albums though.

To me there are as many as approximately twelve albums that I think about as great, with UNDERCOVER as the latest one. Does this mean that I consider all following albums to be weak? No, not at all, because BRIDGES TO BABYLON and A BIGGER BANG to me are either semi-great or (preferably) bordering on the semi-great. VOODOO LONGE is neither great or semi-great and not up to good, but medium good. And when I am more reserved to DIRTY WORK and STEEL WHEELS, I don't declare that there is nothing of value in them,but they still constitute one comparative slump in the band's career, a second one. The first one, made by IORR and B&B. (However, kindly do not ask me about TATTOO YOU in this thread!)

Sometimes one might be willingly ready to acknowledge (or admit) there probably is good value in a song or an album, only that is not according to one's own taste, at times even far from it.

A general answer: If all is equally and unreservedly good, nothing would be remarkable as possessing special quality. And there would be much less to discuss.

A later added remark: One may try to be polite especially in the way one enters a negative viewpoint on a song or album. It is hard though, when oneself has read harsh words upon some of one's own favourites.

Last edit: A printing error.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-12 15:38 by Witness.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: October 12, 2015 14:52

A True fan, a passionate fan, who deeply loves the band, puts a lot of time, money and emotion into the band. It's a passion. And part of that passion is honestly talking about the band and the music. All Rolling Stones music has some value to us fans, but it doesn't mean that we can't "judge" ups and downs. It doesnt' mean we're not thrilled that the music came out. My harshest judgement on the Stones is the continuing touring of greatest hits and not releasing new music since A Bigger Bang. That's because I LOVE the Stones and want them to continue to release new music and be an active "alive" band that I can proudly say is the greatest rock and roll band in the world, like I've done since 1973 (when I first bought Goats Head Soup - their brand new album) and not be the worlds largest nostalgia act (a la The Beach Boys).

Date: October 12, 2015 17:12

We can all try being more optimistic, but in the grand scheme of life, what I say or do here most likely will have no effect once the sun burns out and we all die...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-12 17:15 by BeforeTheyMakeMeRun.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2015 17:41

Not sure if the first post is being sincere or satirical, but when I read:

"But damnit "Doom and Gloom" was a solid tune"

&

"Let's stop being a bunch of critics, and become fans again"

I'm thinking it's meant to be humorous...

Either way, there really needs to be more of these helpful threads!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 12, 2015 18:34

As long as the pessimism is constructive , intelligent , honest , and heartfelt , its cool by me

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 12, 2015 20:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-12 20:36 by 71Tele.

Date: October 12, 2015 20:36

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 12, 2015 20:59

71Tele
[www.youtube.com]

"The Universe is expanding...What is that your business!!"

HAHaaaa! Thanks for that Tele, haven't seen that movie for a long time. I've actually had similar convos with two of my kids when it came to doing homework. "What's the point?"...none really, but you still have to do it. grinning smiley

Love this place...where else can you get a little philosophy on the meaning of life with your Stones? I'll take some existentialism, a big glass of merlot, and Rough Justice LOUD!

Cheers, everyone. drinking smiley

Date: October 12, 2015 21:02

latebloomer
71Tele
[www.youtube.com]

"The Universe is expanding...What is that your business!!"

HAHaaaa! Thanks for that Tele, haven't seen that movie for a long time. I've actually had similar convos with two of my kids when it came to doing homework. "What's the point?"...none really, but you still have to do it. grinning smiley

Love this place...where else can you get a little philosophy on the meaning of life with your Stones? I'll take some existentialism, a big glass of merlot, and Rough Justice LOUD!

Cheers, everyone. drinking smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 13, 2015 00:53

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
We can all try being more optimistic, but in the grand scheme of life, what I say or do here most likely will have no effect once the sun burns out and we all die...

We all die?? eye popping smiley confused smiley sad smiley

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 01:16

I like doom and gloom.

We need more pessimism
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 01:01

OK, so the "it's all right now, in fact it's a gas" crowd has got a thread saying there should be less pessimism, this topic is for the "i can't get no satisfaction" crowd who doesn't see things through rose-tinted glasses. Don't you think we need more pessimism on this board?

smileys with beer

Re: We need more pessimism
Date: October 13, 2015 01:20

Turner68
OK, so the "it's all right now, in fact it's a gas" crowd has got a thread saying there should be less pessimism, this topic is for the "i can't get no satisfaction" crowd who doesn't see things through rose-tinted glasses. Don't you think we need more pessimism on this board?

smileys with beer

As i said in the other thread

As long as the pessimism is constructive , intelligent , honest , and heartfelt , its cool by me

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 13, 2015 01:33

Everybody must be pessimistic sometimes.....only no need to show or tell it to others.......

Date: October 13, 2015 01:42

NICOS
Everybody must be pessimistic sometimes.....only no need to show or tell it to others.......

What about being pessimistic in this way.
I think the Stones should only play 3 shows a week because they are getting old.
That is constructive thoughtful criticism that shows a caring attitude,but its pessimistic

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 13, 2015 02:36

Huh??? Isn't the reason we choose to listen to the Stones and rock'n'roll to help us overcome pessimism? I know when I think the world is going mad, I drop some Stones or old r&b on the turntable, crank the hi-fi up to 15 (it's a special setting that I use to overcome my listening to music too loud hearing problem) and let the big beat carry me away. The world may be the same when I come down, but, damn, it was good while it lasted.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2015 02:58

I like to balance my optimism with pessimism...it's a love/hate thing.

Date: October 13, 2015 03:16

Turner68

smileys with beer

In case you make it with nuances.

My contribution then: Outside the two or three encores, not any songs in live setlists taken from albums newer than the last two or, if there follows a new one, the latest three. Are you with me? Or were you only parading?

Date: October 13, 2015 04:40

Witness
Turner68

smileys with beer

My contribution then: Outside the two or three encores, not any songs in live setlists taken from albums newer than the last two or, if there follows a new one, the latest three. Are you with me? Or were you only parading?

I am with you!

Date: October 13, 2015 04:41

dmay
Huh??? Isn't the reason we choose to listen to the Stones and rock'n'roll to help us overcome pessimism? I know when I think the world is going mad, I drop some Stones or old r&b on the turntable, crank the hi-fi up to 15 (it's a special setting that I use to overcome my listening to music too loud hearing problem) and let the big beat carry me away. The world may be the same when I come down, but, damn, it was good while it lasted.

Paint it black ?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:19

I become pessimistic only after listening song like Sweet Neo Con, Suck on the jugular, Streets of Love, Infamy, Losing my touch, Look what the cat dragged in ...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:25

William Goldman's book THE SEASON has a great chapter titled The Approvers. I daresay the relentless pessimists here likely share some qualities with those approvers.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:36

Fulham FC Supporter here. The pessimistic move is in the genes.

2 1 2 0

Date: October 13, 2015 10:29

Turner68
Witness
Turner68

smileys with beer

I am with you!

smileys with beer

Date: October 13, 2015 13:31

keefriffhards
NICOS

What about being pessimistic in this way.
I think the Stones should only play 3 shows a week because they are getting old.
That is constructive thoughtful criticism that shows a caring attitude,but its pessimistic

That's optimistic because it's more than they have been playing!

Re: IORR smalltalk
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 13, 2015 15:24

Well, now we know the answer - it doesn't matter whether you're optimistic or pessimistic, because it will all get merged into the same thread!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2106
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home