Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13
Re: Steel Wheels
Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:36

Swayed1967
Hairball
The tour was good, the album was not.

That about sums it up.

Through his lunatic defense of Dirty Work, HMS’ greatest contribution to this forum was allowing us to forget just how truly bad Steel Wheels is. But now that he’s finally been institutionalized it’s time to face the fact that Steel Wheels is actually worse than DW – honestly, there’s not a single good song on it.

I know people who have the same opinion. But theses are no stones fan.
I love this album. Last album with no fillers. Even Blinded by love is nice, listen to the live version...

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:42

DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
I love Hold On To Your Hat...it's not much of a song, but goddamn, the guitar work is scorching. It's a shame those red-hot licks couldn't have been inserted into a more well thought-out song.

It should have been the leading single off the album, imo.

Not a bad idea! A steaming opener. Listening to the raw pre-production take now. Superb, blows Sad Sad Sad away.

This version : video: [youtu.be]

Just to be clear: I meant Almost Hear You Sigh smiling smiley

HAHAHA!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:46

KRiffhard
'Mixed Emotions'...the last great Stones song.

Love Is Strong is pretty great too.

Date: July 28, 2017 17:57

Palace Revolution 2000
I think I said this very same thing on an older SW thread, but what made all the difference with me, is that I ex-chnGED THE sTEEL wHEELS sESSION boot ( or 'Training Wheels') for the official version.
The songs became tougher, got rid of some of that synthetic polish, and got "Precious Love" added.
It really reversed my take on that album. I don't think I have listened to the official album anymore.

Same here! thumbs up

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:59

Okay album (look what shit Clapton or Dylan released in the 80s), horrible sound.
Continental Drift is a classic for me (no joke).

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:16

Swayed1967
RockingLonestar
Swayed1967
Hairball
The tour was good, the album was not.

That about sums it up.

Through his lunatic defense of Dirty Work, HMS’ greatest contribution to this forum was allowing us to forget just how truly bad Steel Wheels is. But now that he’s finally been institutionalized it’s time to face the fact that Steel Wheels is actually worse than DW – honestly, there’s not a single good song on it.

But it´s a very good Album with a lot of very good songs:
Almost Hear You Sigh, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, Rock and a hard place, Slipping Away, Hold On To Your Hat, Break The Spell, ....

and you could go on and on, huh? LOL
Sorry but One Hit and Harlem Shuffle from the much maligned DW are superior to any of those songs (and on the Keith front Sleep Tonight smokes Slipping Away too although the latter is the one song on SW I kinda like).

I can’t stop you from labeling ‘Sad Sad Sad’ etc. as very good songs – I’d like to, mind you, and if this weren’t cyberspace and you were a relation of mine I’d probably make some compassionate attempt to physically restrain you from disgracing yourself - but let me just suggest that you’re perhaps Bliiiaindead By Lahahahahov.

Oh and thanks Hopkins for your free-flowing unedited musings on the uncertainties you face as a fan of the Rolling Stones. A whole lotta Hopkins...

Please take that good-naturedly and don’t go back and delete your post as you’re prone to do after sobering up – if your thoughts are as wild horses let this forum be your pasture.
hahaha I LOVE this post.!! What's even sadder I'm pretty much the sober guy who doesn't indulge otherwise either. Haha don't tie em up too tight. Cheers.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:21

HouseBoyKnows
My full Toad's Place story here if you have the time and interest . . .

[iorr.org]

HBK
Holy shit! You pretended you were Tommy Mottola?? You are my hero!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 18:29

KRiffhard

No that distinction belongs to the following song:

Going To A Go-Go – Gotta love the macho guitars and the feel-good vibe (reminiscent of ‘Happy’ in that respect). Not usually a huge fan of Jagger’s live vocals but this is a perfect vehicle for him (but then there’s no studio version to compare it with which may be why I rate it so highly). Give Brown Sugar a rest once in a while and toss this one into the set list – sax player still gets paid. Mick could whip the crowd into an orgiastic frenzy of dancing and dry-humping. I’m not a dancer myself but I’d gladly tuck into that six-pack whilst enjoying the dirty dancing of others.

To my mind GTAGG is without a doubt the last great ‘Stones’ single (Undercover is arguably great as well but it’s a little too gimmicky and I really wouldn’t want to watch people dance to it.)

Mixed Emotions on the other hand is nothing but a Keith solo hand-me-down (the melody of the verses anyways is Jagger's take on 'Take It So Hard') with dumbed-down lyrics (the whole album suffers from 'creased-butt' lyrics, all latter day Stones albums do). The chorus is kinda cool, especially near the end when Mick howls 'Mixed emoowhooshuns' in a pretty good Scooby Doo impersonation. Hard to take the song seriously, really. It is one of the better ones of course but overall SW is mediocre from start to finish.

Date: July 28, 2017 18:58

Swayed1967
KRiffhard

No that distinction belongs to the following song:

Going To A Go-Go – Gotta love the macho guitars and the feel-good vibe (reminiscent of ‘Happy’ in that respect). Not usually a huge fan of Jagger’s live vocals but this is a perfect vehicle for him (but then there’s no studio version to compare it with which may be why I rate it so highly). Give Brown Sugar a rest once in a while and toss this one into the set list – sax player still gets paid. Mick could whip the crowd into an orgiastic frenzy of dancing and dry-humping. I’m not a dancer myself but I’d gladly tuck into that six-pack whilst enjoying the dirty dancing of others.

To my mind GTAGG is without a doubt the last great ‘Stones’ single (Undercover is arguably great as well but it’s a little too gimmicky and I really wouldn’t want to watch people dance to it.)

Mixed Emotions on the other hand is nothing but a Keith solo hand-me-down (the melody of the verses anyways is Jagger's take on 'Take It So Hard') with dumbed-down lyrics (the whole album suffers from 'creased-butt' lyrics, all latter day Stones albums do). The chorus is kinda cool, especially near the end when Mick howls 'Mixed emoowhooshuns' in a pretty good Scooby Doo impersonation. Hard to take the song seriously, really. It is one of the better ones of course but overall SW is mediocre from start to finish.
GTAGG is great, but it's also a cover. Hard to put it in the last great Stones single or song category because of that.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:14

was my first stones studio album since i became a fan in 1987. so 1989 was a great year, me buying the back catalogue and discovering the stones and also a new album to look forward to.

hated mixed emotions, but did like steel wheels in comparison to dirtywork as it was more diverse and radio friendly but over time i feel it is a weak effort.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:21

I never really got into SW, VL was the first new release during my fandom, but I have to agree that the early mixes are really good.

Listening to Blinded by Love, it all sounds so rustic, ragged, and the harmonies are gloriously rough

Dig it here!

Also, how vigorous they all look in the photos from then, from the viewpoint of 2017

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 19:38 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: July 28, 2017 19:28

Silver Dagger
KRiffhard

Love Is Strong is pretty great too.

And How Can I Stop is better than both of them smiling smiley

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 19:32

Monsoon Ragoon
Okay album (look what shit Clapton or Dylan released in the 80s), horrible sound.
Continental Drift is a classic for me (no joke).

Yes Continental Drift is indeed a classic!!

Date: July 28, 2017 19:45

peoplewitheyes
I never really got into SW, VL was the first new release during my fandom, but I have to agree that the early mixes are really good.

Listening to Blinded by Love, it all sounds so rustic, ragged, and the harmonies are gloriously rough

Dig it here!

Also, how vigorous they all look in the photos from then, from the viewpoint of 2017
And yet people thought they were ancient then...funny how peoples' perception of aging rockers has changed in less than 30 years.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 28, 2017 21:24

Speaking of memories attached to this album, my friend and I were giddy with excitement to have the new album in our hands - in this case it was a cassette. We jumped in his Mustang, put the cassette in, and headed up the Pacific Coast Highway for an official first listen. Listening to each track go by, looking at each other, and ultimately shaking our heads throughout in disappointment. Made it back home and thought a case of beer would help the experience, but it only made matters worse as disappointment turned to laughter and ridicule at this state of the art Stones album. Tried to enjoy it in the following weeks, but nver could recover from those first impressions. The only positive that resulted from that album was they were about to tour again.

Date: July 28, 2017 21:34

Hairball
Speaking of memories attached to this album, my friend and I were giddy with excitement to have the new album in our hands - in this case it was a cassette. We jumped in his Mustang, put the cassette in, and headed up the Pacific Coast Highway for an official first listen. Listening to each track go by, looking at each other, and ultimately shaking our heads throughout in disappointment. Made it back home and thought a case of beer would help the experience, but it only made matters worse as disappointment turned to laughter and ridicule at this state of the art Stones album. Tried to enjoy it in the following weeks, but nver could recover from those first impressions. The only positive that resulted from that album was they were about to tour again.

That's hilarious grinning smiley

What kind of expectations did you have?

Obviously, you noticed the many steps up in songwriting quality, compared to its predecessor?

Date: July 28, 2017 21:44

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Obviously, you noticed the many steps up in songwriting quality, compared to its predecessor?

I actually liked some of Dirty Work better than Steel Wheels. The cover of Harlem Shuffle is better than Steel Wheels as a whole imo. One Hit was ok but could have been better-it was overproduced and Micks singing was too polished. As for Steel Wheels, I think everyone's expectations were pretty high after the long layoff. The production values of Steel Wheels didn't help matters, along with the backup singers, etc. The only two tracks I could ever listen to now are Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 28, 2017 21:47

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I actually liked some of Dirty Work better than Steel Wheels. The cover of Harlem Shuffle is better than Steel Wheels as a whole imo. One Hit was ok but could have been better-it was overproduced and Micks singing was too polished. As for Steel Wheels, I think everyone's expectations were pretty high after the long layoff. The production values of Steel Wheels didn't help matters, along with the backup singers, etc. The only two tracks I could ever listen to now are Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away.

Try the nearly three hours of less or not polished outtakes. Much (but not all existing outtakes) is on the 2CD by SODD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 21:59 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: July 28, 2017 21:48

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! DIRTY WORK IS A MASTERPIECE!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:01

Steel Wheels is the last great Stones album, and a nice rebound from the horrible Dirty Undercover. Steel Wheels should have been their swan song. They did nothing in the studio afterward that amounts to much, certainly nothing new. Steel Wheels is their Abbey Road, a marshaling of their forces to make a final statement. Slipping Away is the coda to a fantastic recording career. All afterwards was weak echos to earlier triumphs. There isn't a strong single from Steel Wheels, but overall the album is strong, minus Sad, Sad, Sad (a Dirty Undercover b-side), and the unfortunate mess Can't Be Seen.

Steel Wheels is not the last great Stones tour, that would be No Security, but it is the greatest of their never ending Greatest Hits Tour. The SW tour was like a coronation of their greatness, with such gems as Ruby Tuesday, and my god, 2,000 Light Years From Home in the lineup. Nothing was ever the same after 1990. Wyman's departure hobbled the world's greatest rhythm section, and the Jagger/Richards songwriting team ran out of gas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 22:13 by 24FPS.

Date: July 28, 2017 22:09

Monsoon Ragoon
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Try the nearly three hours of less or not polished outtakes. Much (but not all existing outtakes) is on the 2CD by SODD.

Yes I have all that is available and have heard it all, and it is indeed a step above.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 28, 2017 22:33

Although I liked it when it came out, in hindsight Steel Wheels is one of their most disappointing albums ever... Too polished and too boring. VL, B2B & ABB are better albums, imo.

Date: July 28, 2017 22:49

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I listen to it as we speak, and I like it smiling smiley SW has better songs, though.

Date: July 28, 2017 22:54

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I listen to it as we speak, and I like it smiling smiley SW has better songs, though.
I was kidding obviously, but I *do* think it has some decent songs and guitar work. It's not a complete abomination, but it is dire in places.

Date: July 28, 2017 22:58

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

I was kidding obviously, but I *do* think it has some decent songs and guitar work. It's not a complete abomination, but it is dire in places.

Gotcha right away smileys with beer

Dirty Work has indeed lots of GREAT guitar work.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 28, 2017 23:03

Eh. I think it's 2nd to Dirty Work for my least favorite list.

I definitely love some songs on it, Terrifying, Break The Spell, Slipping Away come to mind. Mixed Emotions, Hearts for Sale, Sad Sad Sad are all nice but not great.

Continental Drift and Almost Hear You Sigh seem to be overrated by many, imo. I don't hate them but don't love them either.

I simply don't like Hold On To Your Hat, that is too Dirty Work for me.

Date: July 29, 2017 00:02

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Gotcha right away smileys with beer

Dirty Work has indeed lots of GREAT guitar work.

Another important difference between DW and SW, which makes SW the stronger album, is that Charlie drums on all tracks of SW.
Hard to believe, but IT'S TRUE..., Charlie was almost incapable to play the drums most of the time during the DW sessions.

THE ROLLING STONES really came back with VOODOO LOUNGE (too bad BILL had left the band, maybe that's why SW is/was a disappointment too, because Bill only plays bass on six songs or so).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-29 00:08 by RipThisBone.

Date: July 29, 2017 00:32

Hairball: I actually liked some of Dirty Work better than Steel Wheels. The cover of Harlem Shuffle is better than Steel Wheels as a whole imo. One Hit was ok but could have been better-it was overproduced and Micks singing was too polished. As for Steel Wheels, I think everyone's expectations were pretty high after the long layoff. The production values of Steel Wheels didn't help matters, along with the backup singers, etc. The only two tracks I could ever listen to now are Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away.

That was in hindsight no long layoff.
DW was released in march 1986 and SW in august 1989 (the RAW Steel Wheels could have been released earlier).

That's no long lay off compared to Black N Blue in april 1976 and Some Girls june 1978, when I became a longlife fan. Had lot's of time to go back to the back catalogue in between. It's all about age these time feelings...

I remember the layoff between Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge was a lot longer (1989-1994).

Posted by: Shade ()
Date: July 29, 2017 02:02

I really love each Stones album. We're lucky they have such a diverse library of songs for us fans to enjoy.

A little "Rock and Hard Place" from SW, then skip back to "I'm Going Down" from Metamorphosis. Give "Get Off of My Cloud" a spin, then play "Hang Fire"

It's all good! Next up is "Everybody Knows About My Good Thing" from B&L, then a little "Loving Cup".

Launch into some SG with "Respectable" and follow up with "Coming Down Again" from GHS

There's a lot to like. Can't wait for some more Stones stuff to be released!

Date: July 29, 2017 02:10

RipThisBone
Hairball: I actually liked some of Dirty Work better than Steel Wheels. The cover of Harlem Shuffle is better than Steel Wheels as a whole imo. One Hit was ok but could have been better-it was overproduced and Micks singing was too polished. As for Steel Wheels, I think everyone's expectations were pretty high after the long layoff. The production values of Steel Wheels didn't help matters, along with the backup singers, etc. The only two tracks I could ever listen to now are Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away.

That was in hindsight no long layoff.
DW was released in march 1986 and SW in august 1989 (the RAW Steel Wheels could have been released earlier).

That's no long lay off compared to Black N Blue in april 1976 and Some Girls june 1978, when I became a longlife fan. Had lot's of time to go back to the back catalogue in between. It's all about age these time feelings...

I remember the layoff between Steel Wheels and Voodoo Lounge was a lot longer (1989-1994).

True - I should have been more clear in saying it was a long layoff since they last toured in 1981/82, and the release of Steel Wheels promised a new tour.
That's a seven year layoff from any live shows, and hopes and expectations were high that a new album with a new tour would be great.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home