Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13
Re: Steel Wheels
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 09:06

Not a huge fan of the album but that tour was the first time I saw the band, both shows in Vancouver. So much excitement in the city since it was the Stones first shows in town since opening the 72 tour here. Almost 110,000 over the two nights and fans from all over Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest came.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:02

Swayed1967
Hairball
The tour was good, the album was not.

That about sums it up.

Through his lunatic defense of Dirty Work, HMS’ greatest contribution to this forum was allowing us to forget just how truly bad Steel Wheels is. But now that he’s finally been institutionalized it’s time to face the fact that Steel Wheels is actually worse than DW – honestly, there’s not a single good song on it.

Maybe the production is an bit too polished, or 80-ies sounding.
But it´s a very good Album with a lot of very good songs:
Almost Hear You Sigh, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, Rock and a hard place, Slipping Away, Hold On To Your Hat, Break The Spell, ....

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 28, 2017 10:15

I never liked it; I didn't care for the stadium show either; well at least not where I was sitting; and they were NOT bad seats, but far from the best. Not the sky high far away...but still, you know...some of you do....I didn't know for sure; I think in some ways there was already some chatter about Bill leaving; I don't honestly remember specifcally; I do remember specicialy being very super exicited about seeing him again; thinking that this might be it; and it was. tho not a good way to say goodbye Bill, for me anyway....

...I guess I was spoiled cause I've seen a few indoors Stones shows; and one of them just, well, no one, ever, ever, could possibly ever, get quite to that level, or those various many levels, of glorious impact, for me anyway...well, not since then anyway; and I've seen some historically wonderful shows; then again that whole era, the sixties...no one was doing baseball stadiums and everyone really super unbelivably original great and proving to be eternally historically relevant; were playing parks haha; and theaters...for realz...

no one was filling up baseball stadiums...I guess the Stones pretty much re-booted The Beatles at Shea or Candlestick kinda thing; the demand was there...I guess it had to happen. I'm very sad it did. SW LP sort of reminds me of that. For me, well I like the tracks most people like and respect. I'm just done picking and cutting thru releases for a few middling tracks; Unless there's a single that is so overwhelming; and they've had several....long ago...
I mean...I'm trying to re-boot SW in my own experience a bit. I try that every several weeks sinve I've been a member here for a year. I really want to learn from; and find ways to approach stuff differently; rather than just continue to dismiss it; so younger fans have given me a LOT of great info. There are fasinating things about '75 I've been led to on boots; I'd dismissed the whole thing after MSG '75 and LYL sealed that sad deal, for me anyway...

I just don't think I like SW very much; I don't really dislike it; I'm not sure why it dosen't engage me. I'm just not sure about their latter day stuff; or if being a kid when they broke sort of ruined for them after the first fifteen years; I'm just not sure anymore...I mean I still ike tracks from ABB; but you know...some of you do...some one will be able to explain it better than me; or slam it roundly with more courage than I can muster here...cuz I don't want to be insensitive to what others really cherish.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 11:15

RockingLonestar
Swayed1967
Hairball

That about sums it up.

Through his lunatic defense of Dirty Work, HMS’ greatest contribution to this forum was allowing us to forget just how truly bad Steel Wheels is. But now that he’s finally been institutionalized it’s time to face the fact that Steel Wheels is actually worse than DW – honestly, there’s not a single good song on it.

But it´s a very good Album with a lot of very good songs:
Almost Hear You Sigh, Sad Sad Sad, Mixed Emotions, Rock and a hard place, Slipping Away, Hold On To Your Hat, Break The Spell, ....

and you could go on and on, huh? LOL
Sorry but One Hit and Harlem Shuffle from the much maligned DW are superior to any of those songs (and on the Keith front Sleep Tonight smokes Slipping Away too although the latter is the one song on SW I kinda like).

I can’t stop you from labeling ‘Sad Sad Sad’ etc. as very good songs – I’d like to, mind you, and if this weren’t cyberspace and you were a relation of mine I’d probably make some compassionate attempt to physically restrain you from disgracing yourself - but let me just suggest that you’re perhaps Bliiiaindead By Lahahahahov.

Oh and thanks Hopkins for your free-flowing unedited musings on the uncertainties you face as a fan of the Rolling Stones. A whole lotta Hopkins...

Please take that good-naturedly and don’t go back and delete your post as you’re prone to do after sobering up – if your thoughts are as wild horses let this forum be your pasture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 11:16 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: July 28, 2017 11:36

retired_dog
Swayed1967
Hairball

That about sums it up.

Rubbish. It may be your opinion, but some opinions are just plain wrong.
agreed...

Seems like the usual suspects sharpening up their usual naysaying, Stones bashing, bullshite cliches in anticipation of the whining they will do about the upcoming album. They can not wait to start blah blahing the typical "no good music" since blah blah blah and how the new album sucks... they are already decided. All they do is bitch and moan about everything... from setlists to... everything Stones. It is the way these negative nancies operate. It is very predictable.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 28, 2017 11:40

I suppose we can be "geeks" here and talk about how great or awful the albums and songs and so on are, from any given period, you know, the production and all that...

In 1989, I was in college. I was going up to a window, I forget what it was for, student loan applications or whatever, but... there was this amazing chick behind the window, attending to my, well, not needs, but applications and so on. I don't know, Hispanic, Mexican, whatever. Long, black hair... "And her nose was slightly curved..." Later, I'd hear stuff on the radio, maybe Almost Hear You Sigh... and, what can I say? A memory, a sensual association is cemented in time.

Also around that time, I'm in my bank getting a check cashed. There's a female teller behind the window. A radio is playing in the background, Rock And A Hard Place, and the teller looks up and says to me, "A good song." Her face wasn't so great, sort of what you'd call "Fugly" -- but she had the most amazing hourglass figure, big, Big, BIG T&A... so whenever I think of even the title of that song I think of her... who knows what she looks like now?

So, people who say this, that, and the other album isn't great, like Steel Wheels, just didn't live those albums and songs.

Rock and roll!... and the images of all those great girls and women that make such things come alive and remain eternal...

Date: July 28, 2017 11:44

stonehearted
I suppose we can be "geeks" here and talk about how great or awful the albums and songs and so on are, from any given period, you know, the production and all that...

In 1989, I was in college. I was going up to a window, I forget what it was for, student loan applications or whatever, but... there was this amazing chick behind the window, attending to my, well, not needs, but applications and so on. I don't know, Hispanic, Mexican, whatever. Long, black hair... "And her nose was slightly curved..." Later, I'd hear stuff on the radio, maybe Almost Hear You Sigh... and, what can I say? A memory, a sensual association is cemented in time.

Also around that time, I'm in my bank getting a check cashed. There's a female teller behind the window. A radio is playing in the background, Rock And A Hard Place, and the teller looks up and says to me, "A good song." Her face wasn't so great, sort of what you'd call "Fugly" -- but she had the most amazing hourglass figure, big, Big, BIG T&A... so whenever I think of even the title of that song I think of her... who knows what she looks like now?

So, people who say this, that, and the other album isn't great, like Steel Wheels, just didn't live those albums and songs.

Rock and roll!... and the images of all those great girls and women that make such things come alive and remain eternal...

COOL!!
Cool thoughts and right on! I agree smiling smiley ROCK AND ROLL INDEED!

Cheers to good times and good musicsmileys with beer

Date: July 28, 2017 11:45

...and maybe that explains the whiny naysayers... maybe they are such miserable grumpy fuks, that hate life and never had any fun and it has been like that for them for a long long time and when they hear the songs it just reminds them how miserable they have been forever.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2017 11:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 11:59 by retired_dog.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 11:57

Hairball

If you listen to the outtakes versions, you could get a different position. The sound is rough and better than the official release. It should be like that on definitive edition.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: July 28, 2017 12:02

Swayed1967
I can’t stop you from labeling ‘Sad Sad Sad’ etc. as very good songs – I’d like to, mind you, and if this weren’t cyberspace and you were a relation of mine I’d probably make some compassionate attempt to physically restrain you from disgracing yourself - but let me just suggest that you’re perhaps Bliiiaindead By Lahahahahov.

Gotta admit that had they replaced this one (Indian Girl Part II or what?) with For Your Precious Love it would have been a flawless album.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2017 12:23

The beginning of the Vegas era unfortunately. Yes, there's some decent songs on it - Continental Shift, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away and Mixed Emotions.

But songs like Rock And A Hard Place and Sad, Sad, Sad are dreadfully dull - just four to the floor stadium rockers with little soul to them.

On the whole the album lacks the edginess that they still until 72/73 but lost when they evolved/devolved into a self-parody of themselves.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2017 12:51

Good times and good memories back then during the Steel Wheels era and the tour.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2017 12:56

hopkins
I never liked it; I didn't care for the stadium show either; well at least not where I was sitting; and they were NOT bad seats, but far from the best. Not the sky high far away...but still, you know...some of you do....I didn't know for sure; I think in some ways there was already some chatter about Bill leaving; I don't honestly remember specifcally; I do remember specicialy being very super exicited about seeing him again; thinking that this might be it; and it was. tho not a good way to say goodbye Bill, for me anyway....

...I guess I was spoiled cause I've seen a few indoors Stones shows; and one of them just, well, no one, ever, ever, could possibly ever, get quite to that level, or those various many levels, of glorious impact, for me anyway...well, not since then anyway; and I've seen some historically wonderful shows; then again that whole era, the sixties...no one was doing baseball stadiums and everyone really super unbelivably original great and proving to be eternally historically relevant; were playing parks haha; and theaters...for realz...

no one was filling up baseball stadiums...I guess the Stones pretty much re-booted The Beatles at Shea or Candlestick kinda thing; the demand was there...I guess it had to happen. I'm very sad it did. SW LP sort of reminds me of that. For me, well I like the tracks most people like and respect. I'm just done picking and cutting thru releases for a few middling tracks; Unless there's a single that is so overwhelming; and they've had several....long ago...
I mean...I'm trying to re-boot SW in my own experience a bit. I try that every several weeks sinve I've been a member here for a year. I really want to learn from; and find ways to approach stuff differently; rather than just continue to dismiss it; so younger fans have given me a LOT of great info. There are fasinating things about '75 I've been led to on boots; I'd dismissed the whole thing after MSG '75 and LYL sealed that sad deal, for me anyway...

I just don't think I like SW very much; I don't really dislike it; I'm not sure why it dosen't engage me. I'm just not sure about their latter day stuff; or if being a kid when they broke sort of ruined for them after the first fifteen years; I'm just not sure anymore...I mean I still ike tracks from ABB; but you know...some of you do...some one will be able to explain it better than me; or slam it roundly with more courage than I can muster here...cuz I don't want to be insensitive to what others really cherish.
Just wanted to tell you that I have enjoyed reading your posts as you do have some very good insights and if I may recommend to you if you have not already done so to check out the From the Vaults release from the 1975 tour L.A. Forum (Ronnie Wood first tour with the Glimmers).I would love to know your thoughts .

Date: July 28, 2017 13:24

IMO, the best of the post-Undercover albums.

Terrifying, Continental Drift, Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away are great, great songs.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2017 14:05

DandelionPowderman
IMO, the best of the post-Undercover albums.

Terrifying, Continental Drift, Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away are great, great songs.

Actually, I really like the 12" cut of terrifying. It's the Stones but not as we know them. I think maybe a thread series on the post production re-mixes that started up around the time of the Undercover album is in order.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 28, 2017 15:42

I believe the best part of this album (from esthetic point of view) is a set of 3" CD singles. Absolutely beautiful collectors creatures winking smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 15:42 by ironbelly.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 15:47

I love Hold On To Your Hat...it's not much of a song, but goddamn, the guitar work is scorching. It's a shame those red-hot licks couldn't have been inserted into a more well thought-out song.

Almost Hear You Sigh is a truly beautiful song...it's actually amazing how great it is and how almost no one talks about it. If it had been on a '70s album, it may have been as big a hit as Angie.

Date: July 28, 2017 15:49

keefriff99
I love Hold On To Your Hat...it's not much of a song, but goddamn, the guitar work is scorching. It's a shame those red-hot licks couldn't have been inserted into a more well thought-out song.

Almost Hear You Sigh is a truly beautiful song...it's actually amazing how great it is and how almost no one talks about it. If it had been on a '70s album, it may have been as big a hit as Angie.

It should have been the leading single off the album, imo.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 28, 2017 16:03

Continental Drift worked very well as the intro music prior to showtime for the shows on that tour. Whenever I hear it, it takes me right back to my very 1st Stones show, an occasion I will never forget, because I thought at the time it was also going to be my last grinning smiley

I think it's a decent enough album and far better than it gets credit for. It kicked off 'Part 2' of their career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 16:05 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 28, 2017 16:28

I attended most east coast gigs on the tour from Toad's Place (pulled some shenanigans to get in) to the final night in Atlantic City . . . maybe 13 shows total.

Biggest positive - a great crop of new songs and rarely played oldies like Rooster, Play with Fire, 2000LR etc. Plus warhorses neglected since '75-76 like GS, MR, IORR.

Biggest negative - What the hell happened to the guitar mix? Ugh!

HBK

Date: July 28, 2017 16:48

HouseBoyKnows
I attended most east coast gigs on the tour from Toad's Place (pulled some shenanigans to get in) to the final night in Atlantic City . . . maybe 13 shows total.

Biggest positive - a great crop of new songs and rarely played oldies like Rooster, Play with Fire, 2000LR etc. Plus warhorses neglected since '75-76 like GS, MR, IORR.

HBK
Holy shit, the Stones played TOAD'S PLACE?? I can't believe I didn't know this already. That's crazy...

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 28, 2017 16:52

'Mixed Emotions'...the last great Stones song.

Date: July 28, 2017 16:54

keefriff99
HouseBoyKnows

HBK
Holy shit, the Stones played TOAD'S PLACE?? I can't believe I didn't know this already. That's crazy...

The only time they played JJF with the studio intro.

Date: July 28, 2017 17:02

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
HouseBoyKnows

HBK

The only time they played JJF with the studio intro.
The only boot on YouTube appears to be the first two songs of the set...I'll have to hunt around for it.

Toads Place is a little hole in the wall club in New Haven with some real history...it's about 30 miles from me. I'm just surprised I didn't know this already.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:08

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

Not a bad idea! A steaming opener. Listening to the raw pre-production take now. Superb, blows Sad Sad Sad away.

This version : video: [youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-28 17:16 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:17

Or this one with more prominent piano:video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 28, 2017 17:24

My full Toad's Place story here if you have the time and interest . . .

[iorr.org]

HBK

Date: July 28, 2017 17:24

RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
keefriff99

Not a bad idea! A steaming opener. Listening to the raw pre-production take now. Superb, blows Sad Sad Sad away.

This version : video: [youtu.be]

Just to be clear: I meant Almost Hear You Sigh smiling smiley

Date: July 28, 2017 17:27

I think I said this very same thing on an older SW thread, but what made all the difference with me, is that I ex-chnGED THE sTEEL wHEELS sESSION boot ( or 'Training Wheels') for the official version.
The songs became tougher, got rid of some of that synthetic polish, and got "Precious Love" added.
It really reversed my take on that album. I don't think I have listened to the official album anymore.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home