Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: Steel Wheels
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2017 04:03

still love this album...production not so much.

Continental Drift is the standout track but a lot to like otherwise.

Can't be seen is a keith throwaway.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 30, 2017 05:22

treaclefingers

Can't be seen? More like SHOULDN'T BE HEARD, amirite??

It's baffling to me why they decided to resurrect it as one of Keith's showcase songs in recent years. I know he only has so many to choose from, but that song should be at the bottom of the list.

Date: July 30, 2017 05:27

keefriff99
treaclefingers

It's baffling to me why they decided to resurrect it as one of Keith's showcase songs in recent years. I know he only has so many to choose from, but that song should be at the bottom of the list.

it's settled then...he just can't be seen, with that song.

Date: July 30, 2017 07:55

HMS
@GLS: Steel Wheels will never be a great album, no matter what album came before or after it.

Imo, the only keepers are Break The Spell, Hearts For Sale, Hold On To Your Hat & Mixed Emotions. And these songs are just decent songs, none of it I consider a great Stones-song... The album is dragged down by 80s production (much more than DW/Undercover), weak songs like Cant Be Seen, Slipping Away, Rock And A Hard Place and most of all Blinded By Love. In 1989 I was pleased to have the Stones back and tried hard to like the album and it worked for a couple of weeks... at least it was a better album than Primitive Cool... I saw them for the first time in 1990 and they played five SW-tracks. The only boring moments of the show. These songs were so weak - with all the classics played it became even more obvious. Imagine five DW-songs instead, what a great tour it could have been!

Indeed...we'd be looking back fondly on it right now, as their last tour ever.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 30, 2017 12:26

Undercover & DW have indeed some 80s sound gimmicks on it, but this albums still sound dirty and sleazy. Steel Wheels on the other hand is all polished and clean sounding, just like most 80s albums are. Undercover & DW are powerful aggressive albums, Steel Wheels is musically tame and most songs are overproduced in a typically 80s way. Steel Wheels is almost as clean as a Bryan-Adams-album. To my ears it sounds more "80s-like" than DW & Undercover, sterile, polished, clean, lifeless.

It would have been great if they had performed Had It With You, Fight, Dirty Work, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight, Hold On To Your Hat, Break The Spell instead of weak and boring Terrifying, Rock And A Hard Place, Can´t Be Seen, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away, Sad Sad Sad.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 30, 2017 12:42

Steel Wheels vs Dirty Work is the new Taylor vs Wood!

Date: July 30, 2017 12:57

keefriff99
treaclefingers

Why? I like it. It rocks, at the same time it's melodic, and there's some cool guitar playing in there.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 30, 2017 13:18

peoplewitheyes

Sharing almost the same crap factor there is no DW vs SW.
grinning smiley

Date: July 30, 2017 13:28

shortfatfanny
peoplewitheyes

grinning smiley

I vote for Steel Work..

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 30, 2017 13:34

DandelionPowderman
shortfatfanny
peoplewitheyes

grinning smiley

I vote for Steel Work..

Dirty Wheels will get my support...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 30, 2017 16:25

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
treaclefingers

Why? I like it. It rocks, at the same time it's melodic, and there's some cool guitar playing in there.
I don't hate it, but out of all his songs to play live, it seems like it would absolutely be the least requested by die-hards...maybe aside from Infamy.

Awwww, shiiiiiit...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 30, 2017 16:33

The best songs on DW are better than SW and the worst songs are worse.

Date: July 30, 2017 16:50

ryanpow
The best songs on DW are better than SW and the worst songs are worse.

I agree with the latter. But there aren't any songs of the caliber of Continental Drift, Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away on DW, imo.

Date: July 30, 2017 16:55

I think songs like One Hit, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight are more authentic , more "organic" if you will than anything on SW. On the other hand a song like Winning Ugly is perhaps the worst thing they've ever recorded.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2017 17:25

HMS
Undercover & DW have indeed some 80s sound gimmicks on it, but this albums still sound dirty and sleazy. Steel Wheels on the other hand is all polished and clean sounding, just like most 80s albums are. Undercover & DW are powerful aggressive albums, Steel Wheels is musically tame and most songs are overproduced in a typically 80s way. Steel Wheels is almost as clean as a Bryan-Adams-album. To my ears it sounds more "80s-like" than DW & Undercover, sterile, polished, clean, lifeless.

As it's been established, you have no capability of understanding good music vs bad music. It's now been expanded to include production values: somehow you hear "a typically 80s way" and "80s-like" production on STEEL WHEELS when, in fact, it has nothing 80s sounding on it at all, with the exception to the cheeky and ridiculous Continental Drift (the actual song, not the part everyone thinks of when naming that song).

HMS
It would have been great if they had performed Had It With You, Fight, Dirty Work, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight, Hold On To Your Hat, Break The Spell instead of weak and boring Terrifying, Rock And A Hard Place, Can´t Be Seen, Almost Hear You Sigh, Slipping Away, Sad Sad Sad.

You have heard the horrible live version of One Hit, right?

Obviously not.

Because it SUCKED.

Hilariously, Sad Sad Sad sounded even better live than it does on STEEL WHEELS, and considering its place in Stones history, Sad Sad Sad is probably a hugely underrated Stones song.

As much as I hate Rock And A Hard Place they did perform it well on the tours. Obviously well enough to included it and not Mixed Emotions on FLASHPOINT. Unfortunately they also included Can't Be Seen on FLASHPOINT, which was a bad move since the song sucks. Terrifying worked fantastic live - even Helen Keller could hear that. Almost Hear You Sigh was awesome live and it's awesome on the album.

Date: July 30, 2017 17:29

Can't Be Seen and RAAHP were not included on the vinyl version of Flashpoint.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2017 17:34

ryanpow
I think songs like One Hit, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight are more authentic , more "organic" if you will than anything on SW. On the other hand a song like Winning Ugly is perhaps the worst thing they've ever recorded.

Uh... One Hit, which is not very good, is the only truly original song of the 3 you listed, one of which is a cover. Sleep Tonight is a total ripoff of the bridge from Coming Down Again.

Your other bit there about Winning Ugly is correct - but it has incredible competition with:
Following The River
Streets Of Love
Sweet Neo Con
Back To Zero
Might As Well Get Juiced
Gunface
Sparks Will Fly

Followed by a second group that's not AS BAD somehow:
New Faces
Rock And A Hard Place
Hold Back
Already Over Me
Fight
Hold On To Your Hat
Can't Be Seen
Sweethearts Together
Always Suffering

Date: July 30, 2017 17:38

Almost Hear You Sigh is very overrated and on top of everything I don´t like Mick´s way of singing it. Very annoying. Continental Drift is 20% Stones, 80% guest musicians, Slippping Away is just boring.

The raw energy of DW beats lame SW at any moment. If DW was Keith´s/Ron´s baby, SW clearly is Mick´s baby. More than half of SW sounds like a polished Jagger-solo-album.

@ryanpow: There aren´t any bad songs on DW. Compared to the new Jagger-solo-songs even Back To Zero shines.

Date: July 30, 2017 17:45

@GLS: Most of SW is clean, lifeless, overproduced and very slick - typically 80s.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 30, 2017 17:54

Steel Wheels is much better than Dirty Work

Date: July 30, 2017 20:02

Please see my responses below in Bold:

I think songs like One Hit, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight are more authentic , more "organic" if you will than anything on SW. On the other hand a song like Winning Ugly is perhaps the worst thing they've ever recorded.[/quote]

Uh... One Hit, which is not very good, is the only truly original song of the 3 you listed, one of which is a cover. Sleep Tonight is a total ripoff of the bridge from Coming Down Again.

Weather a song is a cover or sounds like an earlier song doesn't take away from it.

Your other bit there about Winning Ugly is correct - but it has incredible
competition with:
Following The River
Streets Of Love
Sweet Neo Con
Back To Zero
Might As Well Get Juiced
Gunface
Sparks Will Fly

Followed by a second group that's not AS BAD somehow:
New Faces
Rock And A Hard Place
Hold Back
Already Over Me
Fight
Hold On To Your Hat
Can't Be Seen
Sweethearts Together
Always Suffering[/quote]

That is a long list of songs, some of which I think are good. IMO the Stones are the type of band that hardly ever puts out anything that I would call "bad". It only happens on the rarest of occasions. Like on the song I mentioned. Another one is the 12" remix version of Mixed Emotions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-30 20:04 by ryanpow.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 30, 2017 20:54

Mixed Emotions was a great single and Almost Hear you Sigh a nice ballad that got some video airplay the last time videos were important.
Other than that, nothing held my interest enough to play the album more than a few times. Looking back, probably DW was a stronger album although Mick's contribution was half-hearted.

lets get warmed up to whine about the new Stones album coming out soon, cuz it will suck
Posted by: HankM ()
Date: July 30, 2017 20:55

Unofficial "lets get warmed up to whine about the new Stones album coming out soon, cuz it will suck"

Re: lets get warmed up to whine about the new Stones album coming out soon, cuz it will suck
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 30, 2017 22:39

HankM
Unofficial "lets get warmed up to whine about the new Stones album coming out soon, cuz it will suck"

Whining about whiners always comes across as humorous and ironic.

Re: lets get warmed up to whine about the new Stones album coming out soon, cuz it will suck
Date: July 30, 2017 23:00

Hairball
HankM

The IORRICS (irony confirmation squad) has long since left the building, but I am pretty sure they would confirm that is not irony... or ironic... maybe humorous, but not ironic.

Date: July 30, 2017 23:07

HankM
Hairball
HankM

The IORRICS (irony confirmation squad) has long since left the building, but I am pretty sure they would confirm that is not irony... or ironic... maybe humorous, but not ironic.

Lol, well it's kind of like people who snore loudly complaining about other people who snore - irony or not, it is amusing.

Date: July 31, 2017 00:25

Hairball
HankM
Hairball
HankM

Lol, well it's kind of like people who snore loudly complaining about other people who snore - irony or not, it is amusing.

Well if someone constantly posted on FPWS.org, a website for "Fans of People Who Snore", and did nothing but bitch moan and complain about people who snore, and whine about the way they snore, and cry about the way they always have the same snore... and how they have not made a good snore since that one snorer quit snoring... it would be odd.

I mean if some hates all things snoring, why post all the time on website designed for fans of snoring about how much they hate snoring now. They might as well go post on the sleep apnea website, the night sweats website, the night terrors website... or some other place where they actually enjoy the topic at hand.

Date: July 31, 2017 00:56

HankM
Hairball
HankM
Hairball
HankM

Well if someone constantly posted on FPWS.org, a website for "Fans of People Who Snore", and did nothing but bitch moan and complain about people who snore, and whine about the way they snore, and cry about the way they always have the same snore... and how they have not made a good snore since that one snorer quit snoring... it would be odd.

I mean if some hates all things snoring, why post all the time on website designed for fans of snoring about how much they hate snoring now. They might as well go post on the sleep apnea website, the night sweats website, the night terrors website... or some other place where they actually enjoy the topic at hand.

Understood. winking smiley

At the same time, some snorers are louder than others, and there's lots of nuances that can be discussed amongst all the other snorers on a "Fans of People Who Snore" website. For example, some have a calm and steady flow that can be comforting to some, while others burst out with an abrupt and offensive loud snore that's totally out of rhythm with everything. A major disruption, and something that is considered a health issue. Seems fair that all of this should be open to discussion, but then there's the problem of the non-snoring trolls who infiltrate the Snorers website causing nothing but trouble - here lies the real problem.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 31, 2017 01:49

Can we just go back to bashing their wardrobe choices from the 1981/82 tours?

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: July 31, 2017 02:07

I'm really trying to follow this conversation, but I'd rather just have a beer instead.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1813
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home