Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13
Re: Steel Wheels
Date: August 2, 2017 10:52

While I agree about Steel Wheels, and probably even more so re. Voodoo Lounge, Bigger Bang - I do believe Bridges to Babylon to be an excellent Stones album. Not just relative to the late era, but one fine album, period.
Stripped and Blue & Lonesome are also on the upper deck IMO.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 2, 2017 11:38

kk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-02 13:18 by HankM.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: August 2, 2017 11:47

kk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-02 13:18 by HankM.

Date: August 2, 2017 13:01

Swayed1967
DandelionPowderman

LOL! Didn't I just get a possee after me for saying that SFM on Ya Yas was weaker than the other tracks?

Yeah I know – I’m the one who reported you to Sheriff Hank. There is a picture of you being circulated with a caption that claims you’re a ‘piece of crap loser.’ I advise you to lie low for the time being and eschew any form of critical thinking. Please remember that we only visit this forum to give each other massages until it’s time to go to the concert.

Nice...

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 2, 2017 14:44

The musical arrangments on some of the songs like "sad.. " "..Hard Place" are pretty complex, with layers of guitar playing different themes,not on the beat, kind of complexe weaving. I believe that the stones in 1989 were musically/technically at a pick. Now the result "Steel Wheels" aimed at a very broad audience which did annoy us the fanatics. But we have to give these Caesars what belonged to them at the time; they were great and very sharp musicians.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 2, 2017 15:22

rollmops
The musical arrangments on some of the songs like "sad.. " "..Hard Place" are pretty complex, with layers of guitar playing different themes,not on the beat, kind of complexe weaving. I believe that the stones in 1989 were musically/technically at a pick. Now the result "Steel Wheels" aimed at a very broad audience which did annoy us the fanatics. But we have to give these Caesars what belonged to them at the time; they were great and very sharp musicians.
Rockandroll,
Mops
They were definitely very tight and sharp instrumentally at that point. Creatively? That can be debated.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 2, 2017 16:00

Sad Sad Sad is Brown Sugar inverted. Kind of.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 2, 2017 16:11

keefriff99
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops
They were definitely very tight and sharp instrumentally at that point. Creatively? That can be debated.

Just because one doesn't like the results doesn't mean something is not creative. Is Back To Zero (in a Stones context) more creative than Had It With You? Probably, but I still like the latter better.

Date: August 2, 2017 16:23

retired_dog
keefriff99
rollmops
Rockandroll,
Mops

Just because one doesn't like the results doesn't mean something is not creative. Is Back To Zero (in a Stones context) more creative than Had It With You? Probably, but I still like the latter better.
I didn't state my opinion one way or the other...I just said it's debatable, as this 7 pages-long thread proves.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 2, 2017 21:22

treaclefingers
ryanpow
I think songs like One Hit, Too Rude, Sleep Tonight are more authentic , more "organic" if you will than anything on SW. On the other hand a song like Winning Ugly is perhaps the worst thing they've ever recorded.

there's always Hold Back (DOn't Hold Back) or whatever the hell it's called...that has to be worse...and let's not forget the aptly titled Back to Zero. That has to be their absolute trough. Chuck can be proud to be co-author, his only writing credit with the stones, for that heap of garbage.

Good Call on Back To Zero but IMO Don't Hold Back rises to a level of mediocrity that could almost make it fit on Steel Wheels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-02 21:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 2, 2017 21:39

GasLightStreet
I thought Rough Justice was the Brown Sugar inversion, or at least a clever variation.

One thing about Sad, Sad, Sad -- the vocal riff is very, very, very catchy, more so than anything on their previous album and as well as a good many tracks on their subsequent albums. Without doubt, SSS is the most solid lead-off track of any of their post-Tattoo You efforts -- with the exception of Undercover.

Date: August 2, 2017 21:47

GasLightStreet
Swayed1967
Unfortunately, since the early 80s they have released a string of mediocre records, Steel Wheels being but one of them, that will have future generations wondering how a band that once rivaled the Beatles eventually ended up with more bad songs than good. (A primer on how to understand the previous sentence: 1. Listen to their output from 1967-1982. 2. Choose any song from 83 onward and compare it to the 67-82 period. 3. When you inevitably reach the gutless conclusion that while the newer material may not reach the majestic heights of the classic period it’s still pretty good, smack yourself in the face. It is not pretty good – it is a descent into mediocrity that is unworthy of rock deities.)

Obviously I expect you and people such as the Dandelion - who with 39,000+ posts of Stones worshiping is too heavily invested to face reality - to reject such a notion. It’s a hard pill even for me to swallow.

I'll reject it just a tad - I wouldn't include UNDERCOVER, partially because you listed 1982 when there wasn't an album in 1982 and U is the true follow up to EMOTIONAL RESCUE and polishes off that era quite well, with REWIND being the icing of that 1978-1983 cake.
There was, actually.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 2, 2017 23:17

I just wish they carried on with the same level of experimentation as Continental Drift: that was a great track. I also like Hearts For Sale, Break The Spell, Terrifying, and Almost Hear You Sigh. Slipping Away was done better during the Stripped era though.

Date: August 3, 2017 00:33

stonehearted
GasLightStreet
I thought Rough Justice was the Brown Sugar inversion, or at least a clever variation.

One thing about Sad, Sad, Sad -- the vocal riff is very, very, very catchy, more so than anything on their previous album and as well as a good many tracks on their subsequent albums. Without doubt, SSS is the most solid lead-off track of any of their post-Tattoo You efforts -- with the exception of Undercover.

I would say that you hardly can beat "Flip the Switch" as opener; even "Rough Justice" is pretty strong. IMO SSS is very generic; I like the production more than the song. I think some of us think "Mixed Emotions" would be the obvious opener. But I understand that this was the big come back, and they probably felt a lot of pressure; to deliver big and loud right out of the gates. By the time of Voodoo they had relaxed a bit. "Love is Strong" was a wise opener; it fits right in with "Not Fade away" as the tour opener.

Date: August 5, 2017 08:23

stonehearted
GasLightStreet
Swayed1967
Unfortunately, since the early 80s they have released a string of mediocre records, Steel Wheels being but one of them, that will have future generations wondering how a band that once rivaled the Beatles eventually ended up with more bad songs than good. (A primer on how to understand the previous sentence: 1. Listen to their output from 1967-1982. 2. Choose any song from 83 onward and compare it to the 67-82 period. 3. When you inevitably reach the gutless conclusion that while the newer material may not reach the majestic heights of the classic period it’s still pretty good, smack yourself in the face. It is not pretty good – it is a descent into mediocrity that is unworthy of rock deities.)

Obviously I expect you and people such as the Dandelion - who with 39,000+ posts of Stones worshiping is too heavily invested to face reality - to reject such a notion. It’s a hard pill even for me to swallow.

I'll reject it just a tad - I wouldn't include UNDERCOVER, partially because you listed 1982 when there wasn't an album in 1982 and U is the true follow up to EMOTIONAL RESCUE and polishes off that era quite well, with REWIND being the icing of that 1978-1983 cake.
There was, actually.

Alright, you got me on a technicality, seeing that they used a recording studio to record overdubs...

Date: August 5, 2017 08:26

Palace Revolution 2000
stonehearted
GasLightStreet

I would say that you hardly can beat "Flip the Switch" as opener; even "Rough Justice" is pretty strong. IMO SSS is very generic; I like the production more than the song. I think some of us think "Mixed Emotions" would be the obvious opener. But I understand that this was the big come back, and they probably felt a lot of pressure; to deliver big and loud right out of the gates. By the time of Voodoo they had relaxed a bit. "Love is Strong" was a wise opener; it fits right in with "Not Fade away" as the tour opener.

When I first played STEEL WHEELS and heard that clang clang! Clang clang! I thought "Ahhhh, here we go". Alright so SW didn't suss out as expected. Flip The Switch is possibly more interesting - has a better sound to it overall - and that album fails to hold up to that song. Love Is Strong is nice but it's so... it's like gooey peanut butter. Rough Justice is a nice opener.

Date: August 5, 2017 10:06

Palace Revolution 2000
I would say that you hardly can beat "Flip the Switch" as opener; even "Rough Justice" is pretty strong..
Well, sure, Flip the Switch is a great opener for an album. Keith was bragging at the time in rock mag interviews that, tempo-wise, it was their fastest studio performance on record...

...but does it have a hook that you can remember?

My point was, everyone remembers the melody of SSS, the hook -- just that one word, repeated three times, so catchy. No matter what you think of Steel Wheels, you do remember that, right? smoking smiley

Date: August 5, 2017 16:04

stonehearted
Palace Revolution 2000
I would say that you hardly can beat "Flip the Switch" as opener; even "Rough Justice" is pretty strong..
Well, sure, Flip the Switch is a great opener for an album. Keith was bragging at the time in rock mag interviews that, tempo-wise, it was their fastest studio performance on record...

My point was, everyone remembers the melody of SSS, the hook -- just that one word, repeated three times, so catchy. No matter what you think of Steel Wheels, you do remember that, right? smoking smiley

Good point.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Steel Wheels
Date: August 5, 2017 16:08

I always remember the shaving kit. Not sure if that saves the song, though winking smiley

Date: August 5, 2017 18:45

stonehearted
Palace Revolution 2000

How could anyone NOT remember that hook? It's one of the best raunchiest hooks they've ever had.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 5, 2017 22:57

stonehearted
GasLightStreet

SSS is a Sad, Sad, Sad b-side at best. Better than One Hit to the Body? Sure. Love Is Strong? Uh-huh. (Flip the Switch is interchangeable as crap with SSS) Sad Sad Sad is better than Rough Justice? That is the Sad Sad Saddest thing I have read in a long time. And of course, Just Your Fool. Sigh.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 5, 2017 23:11

I think Flip the Switch is as good as most things from their classic era. Quite menacing lyrically and musically.
Not in the Brown Sugar class league, but certainly up there with Rip this Joint and Bitch, those types of rockers.

Date: August 6, 2017 17:57

24FPS
stonehearted
GasLightStreet

SSS is a Sad, Sad, Sad b-side at best. Better than One Hit to the Body? Sure. Love Is Strong? Uh-huh. (Flip the Switch is interchangeable as crap with SSS) Sad Sad Sad is better than Rough Justice? That is the Sad Sad Saddest thing I have read in a long time. And of course, Just Your Fool. Sigh.

Stop oranging out like that. It's just... SAD!

A bit strong on SSS - a B-side at best? Come on. There's really nothing wrong with it. It's the most Stonesy song on the album.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 6, 2017 18:15

The Hook , or the Chorus on Sad Sad Sad sounds like the Chorus on No More Words by Berlin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-06 18:24 by ryanpow.

Date: August 6, 2017 18:25

GasLightStreet
stonehearted
Palace Revolution 2000

How could anyone NOT remember that hook? It's one of the best raunchiest hooks they've ever had.

I assume stonehearted is talking about the hook here just as something that sticks in your crow, in your memory, even if you hate it. I certainly am. SSS has that. And I think to a non Stoner it is probably more of a hook than FTS. I always loved the BU vocals in that song. I always love BU vox when there is no girls, no falsetto; just a bunch of dudes barking. I never really wanted to know what they were saying exactly. Sounded like "fix me up'; 'check me out'

Date: August 6, 2017 20:36

Sad Sad Sad is Stones-by-numbers - or even Stones-in-their-sleep - but it's decent.

Flip The Switch is not anything of that matter and it's one of Keith's last great explorations of the guitar with the open E string chime, which with Flip is more of a glass grinding.

Date: August 6, 2017 23:27

GasLightStreet
Sad Sad Sad is Stones-by-numbers - or even Stones-in-their-sleep - but it's decent.

Flip The Switch is not anything of that matter and it's one of Keith's last great explorations of the guitar with the open E string chime, which with Flip is more of a glass grinding.
Very true...it's not evident at first, but I love the exotic, Middle Eastern vibe that the song evokes, and live he went even further in terms of mixing it with some killer lead fills.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 6, 2017 23:45

keefriff99
GasLightStreet

Very true...it's not evident at first, but I love the exotic, Middle Eastern vibe that the song evokes, and live he went even further in terms of mixing it with some killer lead fills.

[www.youtube.com]

And some timing! That version on NO SECURITY is damn fine but the St Louis one, which is the YouTube link, has even better playing in it.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 7, 2017 23:47

Steel Wheels is great great great. The Last bog Stones album. Thank you very much. Over and out

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 8, 2017 10:12

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000
stonehearted
GasLightStreet

When I first played STEEL WHEELS and heard that clang clang! Clang clang! I thought "Ahhhh, here we go". Alright so SW didn't suss out as expected. Flip The Switch is possibly more interesting - has a better sound to it overall - and that album fails to hold up to that song. Love Is Strong is nice but it's so... it's like gooey peanut butter. Rough Justice is a nice opener.

Flip the Switch is actually a very good rock n roll tune by the Stones. You're right, the rest of the album fails to live up to it but I underestimated it back in the day. Love is strong is good, maybe not great but good.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 10 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home