Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 15
Re: ALBUM TALK: Dirty Work
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:01

keefriffhards
HMS
A Bigger Bang was well received by critics and so was Dirty Work, if memory serves well.

Had they toured with Dirty Work it would of sold very well.
HMS give it up, they don't like it, their loss is our gain, in fact im going to play it now. IT ROCKS BABY smoking smiley

Nah. Touring for a suck album means the album still sucks. It would've been their worst tour ever because of the DW songs. Winning Ugly live? HA! What a FARCE!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:09

GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
HMS
A Bigger Bang was well received by critics and so was Dirty Work, if memory serves well.

HMS give it up, they don't like it, their loss is our gain, in fact im going to play it now. IT ROCKS BABY smoking smiley

Nah. Touring for a suck album means the album still sucks. It would've been their worst tour ever because of the DW songs. Winning Ugly live? HA! What a FARCE!

Its so amusing to see you and HMS fight this one out over weeks
Its a real dog fight to the bitter end lol
What are the chances of one of you saying " do you know what, i have just realised you were right and i was wrong after all" winking smiley
Would it help if i told you that you are both right, you see when DW came out it was better than anything else at the time
You see no Stones album is all bad, they just have lesser or greater degrees of brilliance between them. A shit Stones album is still a bloody good album

Date: October 7, 2015 23:24

keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
HMS

What are the chances of one of you saying " do you know what, i have just realised you were right and i was wrong after all" winking smiley
Would it help if i told you that you are both right, you see when DW came out it was better than anything else at the time
You see no Stones album is all bad, they just have lesser or greater degrees of brilliance between them. A shit Stones album is still a bloody good album

Zero. If this was worded to HMS I'd understand.

And... DW was not "better than anything else at the time". A shit Stones album is not "still a bloody good album", it's shit. As a fan I'm perfectly fine with saying that and I would never in a gazillion years recommend it to anyone. I don't have a deaf ear. I love UNDERCOVER but I understand why people don't and so on. What you won't see me saying is it's a classic album up within the ranks of BB-EOMS etc.

Some people, like me and a lot here, just know; others think. I agree with about 90% of what HMS says. The biggest part of the 10% missing is about their WORST ALBUM EVER.

Date: October 7, 2015 23:41

GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
HMS

Zero. If this was worded to HMS I'd understand.

And... DW was not "better than anything else at the time". A shit Stones album is not "still a bloody good album", it's shit. As a fan I'm perfectly fine with saying that and I would never in a gazillion years recommend it to anyone. I don't have a deaf ear. I love UNDERCOVER but I understand why people don't and so on. What you won't see me saying is it's a classic album up within the ranks of BB-EOMS etc.

Some people, like me and a lot here, just know; others think. I agree with about 90% of what HMS says. The biggest part of the 10% missing is about their WORST ALBUM EVER.

I enjoy your banter gaslight
but have you stopped to think that because you hate DW, it might not be shit at the same time
how many times does HMS have to say sleep tonight, Harlem shuffle, and one hit are far from shit
I know most you guys hate DW, thats common knowledge but we happen to like it, just like i dont like She's the boss, but i understand that some people do
I don't like rap, but i understand some people do
I dont give a shit who likes you or who likes me, its not a polarity contest
Is that a threat, you saying people like you, so what, i dont give a shit

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:43

I agree with Gaslight. It is a disaster. Take the worst of undercover and the worst of steel wheels and maybe you have something approaching an album as bad as dirty work.

Harlem shuffle, she was hot, and sleep tonight are gems and great
Stones songs.

Date: October 7, 2015 23:46

keefriffhards
but have you stopped to think that because you hate DW, it might not be shit at the same time how many times does HMS have to say sleep tonight, Harlem shuffle, and one hit are far from shit
I know most you guys hate DW, thats common knowledge but we happen to like it, just like i dont like She's the boss, but i understand that some people do

If you don't give a shit why are you commenting on giving a shit?

I stopped thinking about how DW "might not be shit" because no matter how it's shined, it's shit. Sleep Tonight, although a nice song, is not anywhere near stellar. Nor are Harlem Shuffle and whatever else. Those songs are listenable at best.

It's the absurdity of it all that is the trainwreck.

Date: October 7, 2015 23:46

Turner68
I agree with Gaslight. It is a disaster. Take the worst of undercover and the worst of steel wheels and maybe you have something approaching an album as bad as dirty work.

Stones songs.

Sleep tonight and Harlem shuffle are from DW

She was hot from Undercover

Date: October 7, 2015 23:51

keefriffhards
Turner68

Stones songs.

You're right. See I couldn't even name 3 good songs off dirty work :1)

Posted by: redowen66 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:51

I remember buying the album on the day of its release. I sat down and put the headphones on.40 minutes later my first thoughts were: "my ears are ringing from the violence of what I've listened to, but I haven't heard many great tunes."

Playing Dirty Work again, I began to appreciate it. The songs were not all classics but at least the band sounded present and engaged. If you contrast 'Fight' with 'Too Tough' on the previous album,which are similar songs in some ways, 'Fight' sounds vital, with guitars that rip and tear, as compared to the tame, smooth sound of Too Tough'.

When Mat Snow interviewed Keith for the NME in 1986 he put it straight to him "Your last album Undercover was dull, it didn't happen at all." Keith's reply was "No, it didn't". he then went on to admit that with Undercover he and Mick has simply taken turn to visit the studio and 'piss around with the tapes."

At the time, Dirty Work was seen as a return to form. One reviewer (I think it was NME), observing that this was very much Keith's album, said it demonstrated that Keith was a man "with his head screwed on and his grip unimpaired".

I never understand why this album is slagged so badly. The second side is really strong. "Winning Ugly" is a better slice of Mick's dance music than Too Much Blood, the lyric is one of his best social commentaries and it has terrific guitar work."Back to Zero" moves along nicely and post Chernobyl was incredibly topical.I can only assume that some people slag it because Chuck had a hand in it? The Chuck haters are just silly - so Mick needs someone to count him in these days, get over it!
"Dirty Work" (the song) has some of the best guitar 'weaving' in the Stones latter period and 'Had it with You' rocks. We then get a great soul ballad from Keith to finish.What's not to like?
My only gripe really is that the drumming. I'd love to know exactly who played drums on which tracks. This was a tough time for Charlie I believe. I know Ronnie played on 'Sleep Tonight'. Does anyone know who drummed, track by track?

Date: October 7, 2015 23:52

GasLightStreet
keefriffhards
but have you stopped to think that because you hate DW, it might not be shit at the same time how many times does HMS have to say sleep tonight, Harlem shuffle, and one hit are far from shit

I stopped thinking about how DW "might not be shit" because no matter how it's shined, it's shit. Sleep Tonight, although a nice song, is not anywhere near stellar. Nor are Harlem Shuffle and whatever else. Those songs are listenable at best.

Gaslight i love you, you are incorrigible like me smileys with beer

Date: October 7, 2015 23:55

redowen66
I remember buying the album on the day of its release. I sat down and put the headphones on.40 minutes later my first thoughts were: "my ears are ringing from the violence of what I've listened to, but I haven't heard many great tunes."

Playing Dirty Work again, I began to appreciate it. The songs were not all classics but at least the band sounded present and engaged. If you contrast 'Fight' with 'Too Tough' on the previous album,which are similar songs in some ways, 'Fight' sounds vital, with guitars that rip and tear, as compared to the tame, smooth sound of Too Tough'.

When Mat Snow interviewed Keith for the NME in 1986 he put it straight to him "Your last album Undercover was dull, it didn't happen at all." Keith's reply was "No, it didn't". he then went on to admit that with Undercover he and Mick has simply taken turn to visit the studio and 'piss around with the tapes."

At the time, Dirty Work was seen as a return to form. One reviewer (I think it was NME), observing that this was very much Keith's album, said it demonstrated that Keith was a man "with his head screwed on and his grip unimpaired".

I never understand why this album is slagged so badly. The second side is really strong. "Winning Ugly" is a better slice of Mick's dance music than Too Much Blood, the lyric is one of his best social commentaries and it has terrific guitar work."Back to Zero" moves along nicely and post Chernobyl was incredibly topical.I can only assume that some people slag it because Chuck had a hand in it? The Chuck haters are just silly - so Mick needs someone to count him in these days, get over it!
"Dirty Work" (the song) has some of the best guitar 'weaving' in the Stones latter period and 'Had it with You' rocks. We then get a great soul ballad from Keith to finish.What's not to like?
My only gripe really is that the drumming. I'd love to know exactly who played drums on which tracks. This was a tough time for Charlie I believe. I know Ronnie played on 'Sleep Tonight'. Does anyone know who drummed, track by track?

You sound like a reasonable person. Wouldn't you agree that the singing is also horrible?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 7, 2015 23:57

How can DW be a "disaster" when Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight are "gems and great". These songs are gems indeed, but only the tip of the iceberg - DW has songs even better than HS & ST.

Date: October 8, 2015 00:03

HAHA She will come back and tell you those jems are shit again i can feel it coming, look out lol

Date: October 8, 2015 00:04

Mick´s singing on DW isnt terrible at all. His voice is strong and attacks hard, fits like a glove to the music.

Date: October 8, 2015 00:05

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68

Stones songs.

LOL i thought you had been drinking Grandpa's old cough medicine again winking smiley

Date: October 8, 2015 00:07

HMS
How can DW be a "disaster" when Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight are "gems and great". These songs are gems indeed, but only the tip of the iceberg - DW has songs even better than HS & ST.

Certainly when I say a disaster I mean for the stones and their fans. If another band had put out dirty work it would be pretty good.

I consider IORR a mediocre album. I would say IORR the song and time waits for. I one match up pretty evenly against Harlem shuffle and sleep tonight. I would say nothing on dirty work approaches the quality dance little sister, ain't to proud to beg, if you can't rock me, or luxury. And again I consider IORR a weak album. That's what I mean when I say dirty work is a disaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 00:08 by Turner68.

Date: October 8, 2015 00:10

keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68

Stones songs.

LOL i thought you had been drinking Grandpa's old cough medicine again winking smiley

Haha! The bottle was empty when I reached for it after reading about how you put main offender ahead of exile...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-08 01:20 by Turner68.

Date: October 8, 2015 00:15

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68

Stones songs.

Haha! The bottle was empty when I reached for it after reading about how you out main offender ahead of exile...

just love keith's voice, what can i say, i got good taste
Now if Keith sang lead vocal all over exile it would have been my first choice lol

Date: October 8, 2015 00:15

Main Offender´s "999" beats just about everything on Exile... well at least half of it... it even beats some songs on Dirty Work.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 8, 2015 00:57

Crap album and poorly produced. A few good songs, but mostly a forgettable endeavor.

Date: October 8, 2015 01:55

keefriffhards
GasLightStreet
keefriffhards

Gaslight i love you, you are incorrigible like me smileys with beer

HA HA!

I just can't stand DIRTY WORK...

Date: October 8, 2015 10:34

Turner68
redowen66

You sound like a reasonable person. Wouldn't you agree that the singing is also horrible?

The singing on One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Dirty Work, Had It With You and Sleep Tonight is not horrible.

That's 60% of the album.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 8, 2015 10:41

At least there's a lot of opinions on this crappy album...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

2 1 2 0

Date: October 8, 2015 10:50

Come On
At least there's a lot of opinions on this killer album...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yep winking smiley

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 10:55

HMS

HMS - a ‘Dirty Work’ troll or one of those ‘it takes all kinds’ types? Whatever, this album was a rip-off.

Had it wichu and Fight are not cringeworthy in the way Hold Back, Back to Zero and Dirty Work are but they’re lame & Jurassic and together they add up to five very unnecessary songs, an entire side that offers no value whatsoever. That was unprecedented at the time. Give me half my money back, Mick, or preferably half of EVERYTHING YOU OWN! However, after nearly thirty years of loathing ‘Winning Ugly’ and lumping it with the cringeworthy songs abovementioned, I’m now of the opinion that it’s sneaky good, possibly the third strongest song on the album, and the reason I do not demand a full refund.

(To Mick & Keith & Ron: you're welcome but please no more 'sneaky good' songs, yeah?)

Date: October 8, 2015 11:02

Swayed1967
HMS

HMS - a ‘Dirty Work’ troll or one of those ‘it takes all kinds’ types? Whatever, this album was a rip-off.

Had it wichu and Fight are not cringeworthy in the way Hold Back, Back to Zero and Dirty Work are but they’re lame & Jurassic and together they add up to five very unnecessary songs, an entire side that offers no value whatsoever. That was unprecedented at the time. Give me half my money back, Mick, or preferably half of EVERYTHING YOU OWN! However, after nearly thirty years of loathing ‘Winning Ugly’ and lumping it with the cringeworthy songs abovementioned, I’m now of the opinion that it’s sneaky good, possibly the third strongest song on the album, and the reason I do not demand a full refund.

(To Mick & Keith & Ron: you're welcome but please no more 'sneaky good' songs, yeah?)

Why on earth is Dirty Work, the song, cringeworthy? Great sound, great playing and singing, plus even an interesting, funky ending.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 8, 2015 11:19

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
HMS

Why on earth is Dirty Work, the song, cringeworthy? Great sound, great playing and singing, plus even an interesting, funky ending.

For one thing, because of the "I'm beginning to haywwtya" part. And the weird drumming thing (I think it comes soon after that, but I'm not gonna check).

Date: October 8, 2015 11:21

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
HMS

For one thing, because of the "I'm beginning to haywwtya" part. And the weird drumming thing (I think it comes soon after that, but I'm not gonna check).

this album talk is useful for crystallizing thoughts.
i would summarize my objections to dirty work the song and the album as:
bad lyrics, bad singing, poor drumming, and mediocre song writing.
the guitar playing is good.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 8, 2015 11:23

Dirty Work, like Their Satanic, has only one good feature: even though at least half of the songs are - indeed - cringeworthy, the other half is at least good: Harlem Shuffle, Sleep Tonight, Winning Ugly (in a "sneaky way" as Swayed says) or even very good: One Hit.

I think that one problem with this discussion is that even though taste is subjective (and so a bit pointless to discuss), one should at least be able to recognize certain things. For instance: I like Winning Ugly, but I can recognize that most people hate it. (Same goes for Indian Girl or Sweethearts Together for instance). On the other hand: I cannot listen to Wandering Spirit, I find it terrible, but I can recognize a lot of people like it.

In the same way, it can be interesting to read why people like Dirty Work. I might even be able to understand you appreciate the weaving or the violence of "Fight" or "Hold Back" or "Had It With You". (any appreciation of "Back To Zero" is incomprehensible however). On the other hand, if someone just keeps on stating "Dirty Work is great" or "Dirty Work is better than EOMS", at least one should be aware that one goes a bit against the grain and hence some argumentation might be necessary. That probably wouldn't change anybody's opinion, but at least it might (maybe) open one's eyes (ears) to certain aspects of what - to be sincere - sounds rather terrible to me. (Maybe).

Date: October 8, 2015 11:27

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967
HMS

I love that part smiling smiley

It's: «It's beginning to make me angry. I'm beginning to hate it / hate you. You're a user, you're a user. I'm going to shake it / I hate you»

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home