Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15
Re: ALBUM TALK: Dirty Work
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 1, 2015 18:56

LeonidP
I agree with many, the all time worst Stones lyric is "sharks will cry"

Maybe there is a deeper meaning hidden in these lines...something brilliant that we do not recognize...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 1, 2015 19:12

I think there was a bet between
Dylan, McCartney and jagger about who could put that line in a song and maintain a straight face. No one told mick that McCartney and Dylan were just goofing around.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: October 1, 2015 19:50

LeonidP
** -- Edit ** exceptions are always there, of course. I agree with many, the all time worst Stones lyric is "sharks will cry"

I [rep]resent that remark. cool smiley

Date: October 2, 2015 14:11

Turner68
Dylan, McCartney and jagger about who could put that line in a song and maintain a straight face. No one told mick that McCartney and Dylan were just goofing around.

Along with «you better tell the fire chief to quit playing cards», this is first class prose, LOL!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: October 2, 2015 22:11

Always liked Hold Back and the sentiment in the lyrics.
And it rocks like a muther

Date: October 2, 2015 22:13

DandelionPowderman
Turner68

Along with «you better tell the fire chief to quit playing cards», this is first class prose, LOL!

Thank you for reminding us about that ;-)

Date: October 2, 2015 23:21

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

I'm not gonna dig deeper into the lyrical pearls of SWF.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 3, 2015 01:54

Haven't listened to this album in years, but that's beside the point. Going through a box of old counterculture (yes, there once was such a thing) posters and such and unrolled an advertising poster of the Stones for this album. I remembered I got an acquaintance at a record store (remember those?) to save the poster for me. Black and white, the Stones trying to look/posing tough, the scroll on the poster saying The Rolling Stones Dirty Work on whatever date it was released. Wonder if it's worth keeping.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 4, 2015 00:12

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

I'm not gonna dig deeper into the lyrical pearls of SWF.

Man. I looked at that, SWF, and - seriously - thought it was wrong, that the song is called Sharks Will Cry. I dunno how the F that happened but it did.

Date: October 4, 2015 00:46

grinning smiley

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 6, 2015 16:29

okay...i've already given my opinion about Steel Wheels...but for some reason i feel the need to defend Dirty Work. I know it's popular here (IORR) to bash Dirty Work and say it's their worst album etc...but it's not bad. I think many people go along with saying it sucked because they don't want to be in the minority.

yes, we all have opinions and all are valid. maybe there are other factors that determine why we like or dislike something. associated memories etc. not sure.

anyway...i liked Dirty Work when it came out and still like it. I would say that I enjoy more than A Bigger Bang.

if I remember correctly, Dirty Work was primarily a Keith & Ronnie Album in which Mick came in toward the end.

imho the weakest songs are Winning Ugly and Back to Zero.

strongest songs are: Sleep Tonight, One Hit, Had it with You. Harlem Shuffle & Too Rude are good too.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 6, 2015 20:01

sweet neo con
...I think many people go along with saying it sucked because they don't want to be in the minority...

or the other possibility, i.e. that possibly it actually sucks.

Date: October 6, 2015 20:06

sweet neo con
....I know it's popular here (IORR) to bash Dirty Work and say it's their worst album etc...I think many people go along with saying it sucked because they don't want to be in the minority.
....anyway...i liked Dirty Work when it came out and still like it. I would say that I enjoy more than A Bigger Bang.

There's a different explanation: Dirty Work sucked (and Undercover and Steel Wheels not much better) to the point that some people got so turned off the post-Tatoo You Stones so much they never bothered to listen to A Bigger Bang, thereby still thinking that "Dirty Work" was their worst album.

Date: October 6, 2015 20:25

I never heard a bad word about SW when it was released. As a matter of fact, people were pretty content with DW at the time as well smiling smiley

Date: October 6, 2015 21:11

A Bigger Bang was well received by critics and so was Dirty Work, if memory serves well.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 6, 2015 21:15

HMS
A Bigger Bang was well received by critics and so was Dirty Work, if memory serves well.

Had they toured with Dirty Work it would of sold very well.
HMS give it up, they don't like it, their loss is our gain, in fact im going to play it now. IT ROCKS BABY smoking smiley

Date: October 6, 2015 21:24

I like a lot of it. Nice to see HMS backing DW up. I've defended that album countless times through the years smiling smiley

My theory is that people aren't too proud of the 80s music and that decade's sound in general. When the Stones came with (partly) a modern production that symbolised what they hoped the Stones wouldn't become.

But cheer up, folks, more than 50% of DW hasn't got those drums, that reverb or those synthesizers smiling smiley

Date: October 6, 2015 21:50

DandelionPowderman
I like a lot of it. Nice to see HMS backing DW up. I've defended that album countless times through the years smiling smiley

My theory is that people aren't too proud of the 80s music and that decade's sound in general. When the Stones came with (partly) a modern production that symbolised what they hoped the Stones wouldn't become.

But cheer up, folks, more than 50% of DW hasn't got those drums, that reverb or those synthesizers smiling smiley

Yep as i have said before DW came along mid 80's and was a breath of fresh air in comparison to Duran Duran , Midge Ure, Howard bloody Jones and Ultravox

Date: October 6, 2015 21:53

Ouch, yes it was indeed grinning smiley

Date: October 6, 2015 22:46

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

Yep as i have said before DW came along mid 80's and was a breath of fresh air in comparison to Duran Duran , Midge Ure, Howard bloody Jones and Ultravox

Keefriffhards, you are killing me. You came up with names I tried real hard to forget. And now they are back again...grinning smiley
Eat this: Kajagoogoosmiling bouncing smiley

Date: October 6, 2015 22:51

"Neverending stooooooryyy..."

Date: October 6, 2015 22:57

HMS
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

Keefriffhards, you are killing me. You came up with names I tried real hard to forget. And now they are back again...grinning smiley
Eat this: Kajagoogoosmiling bouncing smiley

lol Aztec Camera, Adam Ant, Tears for Frickin Fears AARRRRR

No wait a minute they did the lyrics that turned out to be Mad World lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 23:02 by keefriffhards.

Date: October 6, 2015 23:11

DandelionPowderman
I never heard a bad word about SW when it was released. As a matter of fact, people were pretty content with DW at the time as well smiling smiley

Steel Wheels was not criticized when it came out. It was either praised or ignored. The big story was not Steel Wheels, it was that the Stones were back again and touring for the first time since 1981. And that was a huge story.

Dirty Work hit the states with a very faint thud. In the mid-80s in the USA cool young kids were already listening to REM and U2 or public enemy and Run DMC (depending on your race and if you lived in a big city or not); the mainstream fans were listening to the bands Mr. Riffhards has mentioned; the baby boomers were busy selling out and making money; and the somegirls/tatoo you generation was listening to harder music - Rush, Van Halen, etc. Dirty Work didn't do much for anyone. It was more a non-event than a huge failure. Jagger's solo works were more heralded as failures.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 23:18 by Turner68.

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 00:27

I remember the big music-mag in germany "MUSIKEXPRESS", when the album came out. They gave 5/6 stars and said, the album was the best since EXILE!

A few years later all critics worldwide choose the album as the baddest of all Stones albums. And journalists did what they still do now - they copy, copy, copy! This is in fact DIRTY WORK! So what has a young journalist to do, when he came to write an article. Investigations? Hm, what can we read about the Stones? Best album EXILE, baddest DW ... and all those cliches. Keith the good, Mick the bad ... bla bla bla

For me DIRTY WORK is the last great album of them. Here ended the time of the Stones as an inovative Album-Session-Band. After that they concentrated on live tours. Albums only had to promote a tour.

In the old days it was the album, that counted. The tour had to promote the album. That's, I believe, the reason for that innovative no-mans-land in the last 30 years.

After that's the reason, they did only some good songs from time to time and of course liveshows, but no kick-ass-albums anymore!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 00:28 by frtg55.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2015 06:09

sweet neo con
okay...i've already given my opinion about Steel Wheels...but for some reason i feel the need to defend Dirty Work. I know it's popular here (IORR) to bash Dirty Work and say it's their worst album etc...but it's not bad.

You're right.

It's HORRIBLE.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 08:12

DandelionPowderman

When DW came out I played the hell out of it in my car (a Gremlin) and even started dressing like I belonged on the cover. Of course I was only 18 at the time and nobody, not even my good friend Jason who favored REM and Husker Du, could persuade me that this was anything but a masterpiece. When I played ‘Had It With You’ for him the dirty f*cker dismissed it as uninteresting and jurassic. He liked my clothes though. Said I looked like Leo Sayer.

Looking back Jason was right. Still, I’m not (overly) ashamed to admit that I enjoyed listening to it and polluting my high school parking lot with its sounds for the better part of a year. (Besides it wasn’t all bad – the cover, Page’s cameo and ‘Sleep Tonight’ far surpass anything on A Bigger Bang.) So if anyone wants to defend it I am testament to the fact that DW can be enjoyed (in the right circumstances). But HMS’ fervent praise of Dirty Work verges either on the trollish or the insane (probably the former). He may truly believe DW is the Stones at their best but it's clear he enjoys being a contrarian more than anything...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2015 08:28

even started dressing like I belonged on the cover.

Any shots of yaself from that time you can share with us ?????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 7, 2015 08:37

DandelionPowderman

Yep, that's true and God Bless for that, but they were also completely out of good song-ideas to be honest...Filler after filler fills this album..cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 11:34

Rockman

Sadly no high school pictures – none whatsoever - survived my move to Japan. And to be honest Miami Vice was probably more responsible for my fashion crimes than DW.

More on topic, I recently heard the early version of ‘Fight’. The chorus is a lot less snarly than the album version thanks to the whole gang singing groovy harmonies on it; I was hooked momentarily (‘yeah, this is better than the released version’) but by the third minute it occurred to me that they sound like a 60s garage band. I don't think it's the arrangement that makes 'Fight' filler. What we have here there and pretty much everywhere after 1973 is a skinny singer in need of fatter lyrics.

Date: October 7, 2015 11:36

Swayed1967
Rockman

Sadly no high school pictures – none whatsoever - survived my move to Japan. And to be honest Miami Vice was probably more responsible for my fashion crimes than DW.

More on topic, I recently heard the early version of ‘Fight’. The chorus is a lot less snarly than the album version thanks to the whole gang singing groovy harmonies on it; I was hooked momentarily (‘yeah, this is better than the released version’) but by the third minute it occurred to me that they sound like a 60s garage band. I don't think it's the arrangement that makes 'Fight' filler. What we have here there and pretty much everywhere after 1973 is a skinny singer in need of fatter lyrics.

mmm-hmmm

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home