Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 147
Re: New Album
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 5, 2016 12:47

treaclefingers
HMS
Songs that should have been dropped:

Streets Of Love
Infamy
Let Me Down Slow
Biggest Mistake

maybe Back Of My Hand & Dangerous Beauty.

wow...your first 4 were impeccable but you lost me when you added BOMH & DB

Back Of My Hand is not as good as the blues songs they usually do (Wish I´d Never Met You, Fancy Man Blues or Break The Spell) But you can keep it - along with DB - in order to create a 12-track-album.

Let Me Down Slow & Biggest Mistake are not realy that bad but too tame if you want to create a rock based album, which ABB indeed is.

But there is absolutely no way to turn Streets Of Love into something worth listening to, no matter how often you´d re-record it. It´s just awful bad.

Imo, a great or nearly-great and even 13-track-album would have been:

Rough Justice
It Won´t Take Long
Rain Fall Down
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
This Place Is Empty
Oh No Not You Again
Dangerous Beauty
Under The Radar
Laugh I Nearly Died
Sweet Neo Con
Look What The Cat Dragged In
Driving Too Fast

If they could come up with an album nearly as strong as this, we can be very happy.

Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Date: April 5, 2016 12:57

To call ABB a strong album is us settling; like Father Ted just said: accustomed to Grade C albums. An album where 'Rough Justice' is the key track can't be all that. Had RJ appeared on a mid 70's album it would rank at the level of "Dance Little Sister".
ABB is clearly too long. I'm surprised to see "Back of my Hand" on several people's list of non keepers, but overall it seems most agree on a core group of keepers.
It surprises how it is Keith who implies that it was Mick who wanted to go into a bigger studio. In other words, that Keith was fine with Pro-Tooling it, and Jagger sticking to old school. When all along it had been the other way around. I wonder if Jagger's reasons for taking it on to another level were the 'right' ones. To give the songs more time to grow and develop. Which IMO is the major, major weakness of ABB. The whole album sounds rushed; it absolutely sounds like demos to me.
Love the humor in the lyrics; that remains one of the least talked about, secret weapons of the Stones. But the production needed more time; studio time IMO. And then done live. B2B IMO is a very good album; there is great writing on that album. 2/3 of the record was at the core of the tour. ABB ( and Streets of Love) never really got a chance.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 5, 2016 13:04

ABB was pure shit except Rough Justice, Oh No Not You Again and Back Off Of My Hand (and even these great tracks are far better live then the album versions).
All other songs are weak to Rolling Stones standards.

That's why I suppose this plan:
An album with max. 5-6 new songs + 5-6 blues covers + maybe they'll release the live duets from the North American Tour as well (the duets would sell the album to non-Stones audiences).
All in all a 16-20 numbers album project.
To do a little for everyone.

And after that... touring again in towns they skipped last time in the USA and in Europe!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 13:20 by 1962.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 5, 2016 14:38

I suggest a triple album:

one album containing 10 new songs
one album containing 10 blues covers
one album containing 10 live duets from 2012-16

for the special limited deluxe edition I suggest to include extra DVD/BR containing the entire Stick-Fingers-club-concert plus the three albums also on vinyl and Sticky-Fingers-Live on double vinyl. Plus download ticket for everything in HD-audio. And a scarf.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 5, 2016 14:42

Quite many posters seem pretty certain that their own estimation is the uncontested point of view. I myself am rather familiar with the experience of not sharing others' views.

I suggest that the band makes the record that they themselves want to present and don't follow proposals of posters here.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: April 5, 2016 14:55

hahaha fans moan about 16 tracks the same guys will pay out and go get bootleg if only 10 songs were on the cd,you can programme cd for the tracks you enjoy,some people you cannot please always moaning about something or the other.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 5, 2016 15:37

Witness
Quite many posters seem pretty certain that their own estimation is the uncontested point of view. I myself am rather familiar with the experience of not sharing others' views.

I suggest that the band makes the record that they themselves want to present and don't follow proposals of posters here.

Well spoken, Mick !!
Jeroen

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 5, 2016 15:57

Rolling Stones confirm new blue-inspired album for 2016

By Matt Everitt & Mark Savage
BBC 6 Music News

Reuters

The Rolling Stones have confirmed they're working on a new, blues-inspired album for release this year.

"We're actually in the studio in the moment cutting new stuff," Keith Richards told BBC 6 Music.

Guitarist Ronnie Wood added that the band recently "cut 11 songs in two days. Just 'bang' - like that."

"It was a surprise to us. We didn't intend doing it," he told Matt Everitt. "I wish I could play them to you now. I'm so excited about them."

The Rolling Stones haven't released a studio album since 2005's A Bigger Bang, although they wrote two new songs for the 2012 compilation record Grrrr!

The sessions have included new material and a series of blues covers, including songs by Little Walter and Howlin' Wolf.

"They sound so authentic it's frightening," said Wood.

"We didn't spend any time rehearsing them or anything. We just picked a song that suited Mick's harmonica or a guitar riff... and they worked out pretty good.

"It was like, 'this is what the Stones do, we play blues.'"

"It's sounding really good," added Mick Jagger. "We did one session before Christmas. We'll probably do more."

UK tour dates

"It's very easy and free," said drummer Charlie Watts. "Keith plays the same now as he ever did. He sits there and plays a song and if something comes to him, he'll put that into it."

Wood said the new music would be released "sometime this year", while Jagger said the band would be announcing more shows in the coming months.

"We'll come back to the UK, indeed," he said. "It doesn't feel very long since we played [here] but actually it's ages ago now."

"I think our main thing is playing live these days," Richards added. "Within the band, we always feel like the next show is going to be better.

"For a bunch of reprobates we have an incredible dedication to our job."

The band were speaking at the launch of Exhibitionism, a career retrospective at London's Saatchi Gallery.

Billed as the largest exhibition of Stones memorabilia ever mounted, it includes a recreation of the studio where they recorded Sympathy For The Devil, and the band's filthy first flat in Edith Grove, Chelsea.

It also includes key instruments, album art, diary entries, tour posters and the band's flamboyant outfits.

[www.bbc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-05 15:58 by bye bye johnny.

Re: New Album
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 5, 2016 16:04

RipThisBone
HonkeyTonkFlash
lem motlow
HonkeyTonkFlash
I seem to be in the minority here but I thought ABB was a pretty damn good album.

you know why i like you-well,...

when i used to do coke i knew this guy named steve who had the most low grade,7th generation blow you'd ever seen.i even had a name for it"stepped on steve"

now my actual person got these ki's from fla that when you bought it from him he would take out a big knife[ sometimes cutting through packaging]and ..well you get the idea.
but there was always a time,usually about the crack of dawn[two days removed]when you ran out.----- wasnt home so we had to-...call...steve....
i just went from some stuff that a week before was in a styrofoam cooler being thrown off the deck of a fishing boat in south florida to..."stepped on steve."

However-there was always someone,at some point who would look up and say"hey,you know this isnt't that bad."

HonkeyTonkFlash you are that guy,and i thank you for it-but it's not helping.

Well, I never said ABB was Exile but what is? I still maintains that as rock albums go, it's a damned good one.

thumbs up

lem motlow is talking about an album by an other artist no?.... confused smiley

I like to know.
Maybe BUSH DOCTOR DELUXE by Peter Tosh. The one with the scrath and sniff cover.

Humorous analogy by Lem....Well, if Exile is pure coke, the I don't think it's fair to call ABB stepped on coke. It's another drug entirely...but this argument could get silly at this point. Whatever it is, ABB gives me a pretty good buzz. But with The Rolling Stones as the main ingredient, well that stuff is strong enough to cut through the additives, if that makes any sense, lol!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 5, 2016 16:17

SOME GIRLS is pure coke. DIRTY WORK is stepped-on coke. A BIGGER BANG is faking it until it feels right.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 5, 2016 16:38

A BIGGER BANG has 16 songs on it?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 5, 2016 17:07

All this talk about ABB on this thread... has me thinking. IF I was a, say 20yo, at the time of ABB release, and liking what I thought was rock and roll at the time, I think I would have thought, AT THE TIME, that ABB WAS a great record! For us, most of us, in our, uh hum, later years, having lived with and through the Stones late 60s, early 70s output, yes, we probably, indeed DO, THINK ABB is of lesser quality. If ABB was our intro to The Stones, and liking rock and roll, I reckon we would think it's a beauty!

Rod

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 5, 2016 17:20

What would be nice then is a blues cover album, mainly recorded 'live' in the studio, of course if the studio was New Orleans or Chicago with few guests eg Buddy Guy (before its too late) so much the better.
In addition a new album of originals, with a couple of Ronnie songs..

Not too much to ask?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 5, 2016 17:30

bitusa2012
All this talk about ABB on this thread... has me thinking. IF I was a, say 20yo, at the time of ABB release, and liking what I thought was rock and roll at the time, I think I would have thought, AT THE TIME, that ABB WAS a great record! For us, most of us, in our, uh hum, later years, having lived with and through the Stones late 60s, early 70s output, yes, we probably, indeed DO, THINK ABB is of lesser quality. If ABB was our intro to The Stones, and liking rock and roll, I reckon we would think it's a beauty!

I don't know about that. My teenage years were in the 80's, and for a while then I thought *that* was all the music there was. For instance, I thought Madness and the Specials invented ska. Then I discovered old blues, and the first Stones albums, and 60's soul music (and the Skatalites, and Toots & the Maytals) and I couldn't believe it: this was *real music*! None of the 80's bands could hold a candle compared to this older stuff.
So, I think if I was 20 now, I might initially have liked ABB, for the simple fact that there's not much good rock n roll music around anymore, but as soon as I would have heard the older real stuff, I wouldn't have switched back to ABB anymore.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 5, 2016 17:53

Mpj200 told 'some originals and some blues standards' some time ago!
Go Mpj!! smileys with beer thumbs up

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: January 23, 2016 02:58

I'm thinking December went great. And some great songs were recorded. Some new ones....some (very) old onessmiling smiley. Old school.

Date: January 23, 2016 04:10

Keep the faith lads! It's going to be a great record!

Date: February 22, 2016 19:41

"I'd be cool if the recorded some old blues songs along with some originals..."

"They recorded some originals and some blues standards. What they keep or use will be determined by whatever comes out of the next session, is my guess"

Mpj where are you?! winking smiley

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: April 5, 2016 18:10

its a happy thought and frankly i will eat up whatever they dish out oh and I loved ABB in full. no complaints here about nuffin!

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: April 5, 2016 18:38

As long as the Stones still have the heart and passion to be making new music and hit the road, I'm in. The world is a better place knowing the Rolling Stones are still out there doing their thing.

Date: April 5, 2016 18:54

bitusa2012

You're right. I was 10 when A Bigger Bang came out and "Rough Justice" is the first Stones song I remember liking. Now, pretty soon after that I looked into the old stuff and obviously like it better, but you're right--as a Stones newbie the first time I heard ABB I thought "damn, this is pretty sweet!".

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 5, 2016 19:22

From Rolling Stone mag. web site:

[www.google.com]

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: April 5, 2016 19:23

Great News, They Coming Full Circle....Back to the Roots....!!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 6, 2016 00:52

Gaetzi
As long as the Stones still have the heart and passion to be making new music and hit the road, I'm in. The world is a better place knowing the Rolling Stones are still out there doing their thing.

smileys with beersmileys with beer
Jeroen

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 6, 2016 01:07

A strictly blues record by the Stones sounds boring to me, but I'd bet my life critics will be fawning all over it upon it's release. For some reason people seem to want a blues record from the Stones.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 6, 2016 01:09

bye bye johnny

BBC 6 Music News

Reuters

The Rolling Stones have confirmed they're working on a new, blues-inspired album for release this year.

"We're actually in the studio in the moment cutting new stuff," Keith Richards told BBC 6 Music.

Guitarist Ronnie Wood added that the band recently "cut 11 songs in two days. Just 'bang' - like that."

"It was a surprise to us. We didn't intend doing it," he told Matt Everitt. "I wish I could play them to you now. I'm so excited about them."

The Rolling Stones haven't released a studio album since 2005's A Bigger Bang, although they wrote two new songs for the 2012 compilation record Grrrr!

The sessions have included new material and a series of blues covers, including songs by Little Walter and Howlin' Wolf.

"We didn't spend any time rehearsing them or anything. We just picked a song that suited Mick's harmonica or a guitar riff... and they worked out pretty good.

"It's sounding really good," added Mick Jagger. "We did one session before Christmas. We'll probably do more."

UK tour dates

"It's very easy and free," said drummer Charlie Watts. "Keith plays the same now as he ever did. He sits there and plays a song and if something comes to him, he'll put that into it."

Wood said the new music would be released "sometime this year", while Jagger said the band would be announcing more shows in the coming months.

"We'll come back to the UK, indeed," he said. "It doesn't feel very long since we played [here] but actually it's ages ago now."

"I think our main thing is playing live these days," Richards added. "Within the band, we always feel like the next show is going to be better.

The band were speaking at the launch of Exhibitionism, a career retrospective at London's Saatchi Gallery.

Billed as the largest exhibition of Stones memorabilia ever mounted, it includes a recreation of the studio where they recorded Sympathy For The Devil, and the band's filthy first flat in Edith Grove, Chelsea.

It also includes key instruments, album art, diary entries, tour posters and the band's flamboyant outfits.

[www.bbc.com]

Yeah!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2016 02:17

Socrates1
bye bye johnny

BBC 6 Music News

Reuters

UK tour dates

[www.bbc.com]

Yeah!
....and of course now i want a double album!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 6, 2016 02:19

Can't they go triple with a bonus disc ......???????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: April 6, 2016 02:23

Quadruple album!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 6, 2016 02:43

KRiffhard
Mpj200 told 'some originals and some blues standards' some time ago!
Go Mpj!! smileys with beer thumbs up

Date: January 23, 2016 02:58

I'm thinking December went great. And some great songs were recorded. Some new ones....some (very) old onessmiling smiley. Old school.

Date: January 23, 2016 04:10

Keep the faith lads! It's going to be a great record!

Date: February 22, 2016 19:41

"I'd be cool if the recorded some old blues songs along with some originals..."

"They recorded some originals and some blues standards. What they keep or use will be determined by whatever comes out of the next session, is my guess"

Mpj where are you?! winking smiley

riff are you sure that guy is an actual insider?i'm not making judgements but i was away from the board for awhile and to busy to really post but i glanced through to check on the tour here and there-i saw some of his stuff and it just looked like things already leaked in the press put in a cryptic way to look important.

i could be wrong[hope so] but did he say anything that wasn't in an interview with ronnie or keith? i noticed a "album in november" if i recall,there's no way-that things gonna drop early summer.

this may sound strange but if you follow the stones long enough you sort of get a feel about what their up to.
right now they look to be in high gear,they actually worked on a record in the winter between tours for the first time in ages-my guess,they put the record out and hit the road again in the next few months.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 6, 2016 03:02

Back Of My Hand sounded really good live.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 6, 2016 03:08

Rockman

Can't they go triple with a bonus disc ......???????

G...giddy up!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 6, 2016 05:56

From the New York Times:

Rolling Stones to Release First Studio Album Since 2005

[mobile.nytimes.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home