Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 6, 2016 06:27

As far as the song material is good from the band's point of view and is given an adequate treatment (either during short or prolonged studio time), my attitude is that I am keen to receive as many songs as possible. However, if the balance between one part of their own songs tends that way, I would also gladly receive one album soon and another album some months or a year later. And I don't want to urge anything, but the idea touched by earlier posts to have on the first occasion a package of one separate album of own songs and one other of blues covers at the same time, each with more or less a normal album's playing time, is a very nice and appealing thought.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: April 6, 2016 07:17

KRiffhard
Mpj200 told 'some originals and some blues standards' some time ago!
Go Mpj!! smileys with beer thumbs up

Date: January 23, 2016 02:58

I'm thinking December went great. And some great songs were recorded. Some new ones....some (very) old onessmiling smiley. Old school.

Date: January 23, 2016 04:10

Keep the faith lads! It's going to be a great record!

Date: February 22, 2016 19:41

"I'd be cool if the recorded some old blues songs along with some originals..."

"They recorded some originals and some blues standards. What they keep or use will be determined by whatever comes out of the next session, is my guess"

Mpj where are you?! winking smiley

Ha! I'm here. Enjoying the article that was just posted confirming what I said in January. I also just posted an update in the 2016 tour thread. But I won't derail this thread with that dribble-smiling smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 6, 2016 07:45

mpj200
KRiffhard
Mpj200 told 'some originals and some blues standards' some time ago!
Go Mpj!! smileys with beer thumbs up

Date: January 23, 2016 02:58

I'm thinking December went great. And some great songs were recorded. Some new ones....some (very) old onessmiling smiley. Old school.

Date: January 23, 2016 04:10

Keep the faith lads! It's going to be a great record!

Date: February 22, 2016 19:41

"I'd be cool if the recorded some old blues songs along with some originals..."

"They recorded some originals and some blues standards. What they keep or use will be determined by whatever comes out of the next session, is my guess"

Mpj where are you?! winking smiley

Ha! I'm here. Enjoying the article that was just posted confirming what I said in January. I also just posted an update in the 2016 tour thread. But I won't derail this thread with that dribble-smiling smiley

thumbs up

Date: April 6, 2016 08:06

A double album with new songs and blues covers...it would be nice! Fingers crossed! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 6, 2016 15:32

Minus the blues covers didn't Ronnie say the exact same thing about the Paris 2002 sessions that produced, well not much of interest, 4 poorly regarded songs and some ideas for ABB,although they left some nice songs in the can...

The difference this time is that there'll be an actual album. It doesn't look like it at this point but let's hope they record it in a real studio with outside musicians who can give it some "color" like what happened for B2B, I agree that the this was the big weakness of ABB, a demo album with decent songs but uninspired playing.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 6, 2016 16:50

They're right to leave it a long time before bringing out a new album as people need to have erased ABB from their memories , well, most of it.

I'm not expecting much and if they do release a mixture of new songs and blues covers I reckon the covers will have to be of the "nothing special" variety such as Little Baby from Stripped otherwise their creative decline would be highlighted even more.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 6, 2016 16:57

KRiffhard
A double album with new songs and blues covers...it would be nice! Fingers crossed! smiling bouncing smiley

A double album - where did you hear that?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 6, 2016 17:16

This thread is 90% dreams and wishes, and 10% facts, as far as I can see.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 6, 2016 17:17

Which 10% ?
confused smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 6, 2016 17:23

The 10% confirming that the Rolling Stones are a group of musicians who may have been in a recording studio at some unknown point in time winking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2016 17:42

Harlem Shuffler
They're right to leave it a long time before bringing out a new album as people need to have erased ABB from their memories , well, most of it.

That's hilarious considering it barely sold!

Date: April 6, 2016 17:44

Koen
KRiffhard

A double album - where did you hear that?

That's just what it reads like, what they've said. Besides, their last 3 albums have been double albums (on vinyl, of course) so...

Date: April 6, 2016 17:45

bv

...and what's the problem BV?
eye popping smiley

Date: April 6, 2016 17:48

bv

A spontaneous question, concerning
[www.bbc.com]
and the quote therefrom
"The sessions have included new material and a series of blues covers, including songs by Little Walter and Howlin' Wolf." would be:

Do you consider this among the 90 % dreams or among the 10 % facts?

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 6, 2016 17:48

GasLightStreet
Harlem Shuffler

Actually it sold quite well. It was the number one album in the world for two weeks as well as topping the European charts...In today's market place (nobody buys music) it was a solid if unspectacular hit.

Date: April 6, 2016 17:50

They recorded some new songs and 11 blues covers...these are great facts!
Maybe we can't talk about this new album...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 6, 2016 18:09

Mick recorded a blues album back in 1992/93(?) that never saw the light of day. So who knows what the Stones are going to do with the reportedly recorded blues-covers.

Maybe Ronnie is exaggerating anyway... they maybe played a few blues-covers to warm up and had tapes running but after a while of thinking of it I doubt that they are going to use these tracks actually.

Date: April 6, 2016 18:14

James Kirk
GasLightStreet
Harlem Shuffler

Actually it sold quite well. It was the number one album in the world for two weeks as well as topping the European charts...In today's market place (nobody buys music) it was a solid if unspectacular hit.

I see that it's officially listed as a platinum album in the US. Which I am surprised by. I thought it was - it still may be in terms of exact numbers - their weakest selling studio album.

In the UK it's listed as selling 100,000 copies.

At least according to this site:

[www.beatzenith.com]

Date: April 6, 2016 18:22

Facts:

"We’ve been in the studio, just before Christmas. We were cutting some new tracks, and no doubt when this is all finished, at the end of the Spring, we’ll do some more." MJ

We did sessions in London in December, which suddenly gave us a whole load of stuff. The Stones have never cut so many tracks in such a short time" KR

We're actually in the studio at the moment cutting new stuff” KR

We went in to cut some new songs, which we did – but we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues tracks in two days. They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people. When we heard them back after not hearing them for a couple of months, we were like, ‘Who’s that? It's you!’ It sounded so authentic" RW

Asked when fans can expect new material, he (Ronnie Wood) added: “This year

That’s in the can – although it might be a surprise to people, and I can’t say any more than that right now" KR

Wishes:
mine is a good 'old school' album.

Date: April 6, 2016 18:28

So... it's in the can, yet Keith said “We're actually in the studio at the moment cutting new stuff”.

If they were actually in the studio cutting new stuff they wouldn't've been talking about it because they'd've actually been in the studio, which, the way that reads, it reads that they're actually recording new stuff now, which is not what was actually said.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 6, 2016 18:31

KRiffhard
Facts:

"We’ve been in the studio, just before Christmas. We were cutting some new tracks, and no doubt when this is all finished, at the end of the Spring, we’ll do some more." MJ

We did sessions in London in December, which suddenly gave us a whole load of stuff. The Stones have never cut so many tracks in such a short time" KR

We went in to cut some new songs, which we did – but we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues tracks in two days. They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people. When we heard them back after not hearing them for a couple of months, we were like, ‘Who’s that? It's you!’ It sounded so authentic" RW

That’s in the can – although it might be a surprise to people, and I can’t say any more than that right now" KR

Wishes:

+1

I really dont understand why here the idea of a new album don't like.
In general I think it is necessary for a band that is said active. I do not think can do the various concerts or shows alone. An album is necessary. and I think wants it Mick then. A novelty in the setlists I think is appropriate. Really, I do not understand this little enthusiasm here

Date: April 6, 2016 18:40

pepganzo
KRiffhard
Facts:

Wishes:

+1

In general I think it is necessary for a band that is said active. I do not think can do the various concerts or shows alone. An album is necessary. and I think wants it Mick then. A novelty in the setlists I think is appropriate. Really, I do not understand this little enthusiasm here

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but what you point out is part of the problem - they really don't need to do a new album. They're doing one because they want to... now? Okaaaaay. Well, whatever. But watch - they might play one song from it and the rest... will be only the hits.

Their recent tours prove that - nothing but a hits show.

They haven't had one for ELEVEN YEARS. And they barely played songs off their last new album on that tour (and they picked the worst songs to do live as it was).

They've done several tours since then with all but at times one or two songs being as new as 1981 (with the other exception being Doom And Gloom and One More Shot) with You Got Me Rocking and Out Of Control.

Date: April 6, 2016 18:47

pepganzo
KRiffhard
Facts:

Wishes:

+1

thumbs up

Date: April 6, 2016 18:49

And the reception to a potential album may influence what the Stones will play live! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edit: Changed first word from "But" to "And".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-06 18:52 by Witness.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 6, 2016 19:46

GasLightStreet
pepganzo
KRiffhard
Facts:

Wishes:

+1

I'm not sure I understand what you mean but what you point out is part of the problem - they really don't need to do a new album. They're doing one because they want to... now? Okaaaaay. Well, whatever. But watch - they might play one song from it and the rest... will be only the hits.

Their recent tours prove that - nothing but a hits show.

They haven't had one for ELEVEN YEARS. And they barely played songs off their last new album on that tour (and they picked the worst songs to do live as it was).

They've done several tours since then with all but at times one or two songs being as new as 1981 (with the other exception being Doom And Gloom and One More Shot) with You Got Me Rocking and Out Of Control.

Maybe they played you got me rocking and out of control also in the last tour because we are talking about two good songs. From the other hand doom and gloom did not work so good live. The point is that they have to do a good album and play 4 or 5 songs from it. They did something like that during the ABB tour.

Another tour without new tracks? No thanks and Mick knows that.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 6, 2016 20:00

i have to say-if mpj200 was posting about some new ones and 11 blues tracks back in january and february he nailed it because that's exactly what the band said just this past week.

all i saw was keith talking about going into the studio over christmas and then keith and ronnie a few weeks later saying they laid down some tracks.

the new ones and 11 blues songs weren't mentioned anywhere but here by mpj200 -good stuff.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: April 7, 2016 00:31

I don't expect anything good from this new record. Let's be honest they're not so creative as they used to be. You can say Crosseyed Heart is best stones related album since years but you're just chating yourself. I'm sure most of us want to believe in it because it's Keith. CH is not even close to A Bigger Bang or Steel Wheels.
We don't want to face up the truth that new Exile or even Goat's Head Soup is impossible.
Everybody here is happy about blues album but i don't remember any maginificent blueses from Stones since years. The last absolutely stunning blues was Down In The Hole. Back Of My Hand is just ok, nothing special.
Again, it doesn't have to be great just beacuse it's blues. I'd like to get another regular "song album" with things like Doom And Gloom and One More Shot. Thease two are fine, nothing brilliant, just nice. So I've no expectations, i'm just glad it's a chance for antoher new music and tours as well. I'm gonna buy it anyway.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 7, 2016 01:26

Okay but I don't wanna go to the circus with ya ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 7, 2016 01:42

bv

Who is that man behind the curtain.....grinning smiley

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 7, 2016 02:39

it would be great if they have the creative spunk that occurred in 1977 for Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, and Tattoo. Crank it out, and hopefully we will get an album this year, and maybe one more in 2018.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5657585960616263646566...LastNext
Current Page: 61 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2155
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home