Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 147
Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 20, 2016 18:55

GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
Honestly I don't think the album will already come out this year. It's just too much work.
It's not just the work the stones have to do (writing songs, doing arrangements, recording the basic tracks, recording overdubs),
but also editing, mixing, mastering, and all the things to prepare the release.
Although I would love to be proven wrong.

What takes forever with these guys
Writing
Arranging
Recording basic tracks
Overdubs

What probably does not take long with these guys
Editing is (usually) done after tracking and sometimes overdubbing, before mixing.
Mixing

What can be done in one day
Mastering - takes just a couple of hours at best.

Pre-release hype
There are so many people involved with hype that it's no big deal

Release
Irrelevant. It'll be on every medium, just like most releases are these days

Relevance
It will be forgotten within a month...

Agree 100%, except on relevance: it will be forgotten on two weeks.
Also, How many songs from a new album could be played live with 18 songs setlists, and with the same 14-15 songs played over and over again show after show?
1 new song per show? 2 new songs?
Ridiculous

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: February 20, 2016 19:09

KRiffhard
Recording sessions: ca. 3rd - 16th December 2015: London, Metropolis Studios (unconfirmed);
Title: ??
Lable: ??
Release date: june? september?
Producer: Mick/Keith and Chris Kimsey?
Tracklist: ??

Don was in the studio with them in december.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 20, 2016 19:21

gwen
KRiffhard
Recording sessions: ca. 3rd - 16th December 2015: London, Metropolis Studios (unconfirmed);

sad smiley
Oh no...are you sure Gwen?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 20, 2016 20:12

Why would Mick get rid of a producer who let him get away with material like "She Saw Me Coming" or a bassist called...Mick Jagger ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 20, 2016 20:15

GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
Honestly I don't think the album will already come out this year. It's just too much work.
It's not just the work the stones have to do (writing songs, doing arrangements, recording the basic tracks, recording overdubs),
but also editing, mixing, mastering, and all the things to prepare the release.
Although I would love to be proven wrong.

What takes forever with these guys
Writing
Arranging
Recording basic tracks
Overdubs

What probably does not take long with these guys
Editing is (usually) done after tracking and sometimes overdubbing, before mixing.
Mixing

What can be done in one day
Mastering - takes just a couple of hours at best.

Pre-release hype
There are so many people involved with hype that it's no big deal

Release
Irrelevant. It'll be on every medium, just like most releases are these days

Relevance
It will be forgotten within a month...

don't forget:
some 100.000 hours of market research are needed, too (at least for Mick Jagger's songs)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-20 20:16 by slewan.

Date: February 20, 2016 20:31

gotdablouse
Why would Mick get rid of a producer who let him get away with material like "She Saw Me Coming" or a bassist called...Mick Jagger ;-)

She saw me coming, Sweet Neo Con and Look what the cat dragged in...only a yes man can accept poor stuff like this.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: February 20, 2016 20:36

KRiffhard
gwen
KRiffhard

sad smiley

I wasnt in the studio smiling smiley thats what i was told.

Date: February 20, 2016 20:40

gwen
KRiffhard
gwen
KRiffhard

sad smiley

I wasnt in the studio smiling smiley thats what i was told.

Many thanks Gwen. This is not good news!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2016 21:03

She Saw Me Coming... why does that get so much grief? Fantastic grinding riff, it's a funny song, for once some humor - and one of the good songs on ABB.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 21, 2016 22:56

KRiffhard
gotdablouse

She saw me coming, Sweet Neo Con and Look what the cat dragged in...only a yes man can accept poor stuff like this.

I like all three!
Look What The Cat Dragged In was love at first sight, Sweet Neo Con lately has grown immensely on me and She Saw Me Coming is also very very enjoyable. According to some opinions here the Stones should be ashamed of ABB, I can´t see the slightest reason for it. They can be proud to have released an album like ABB this late in their career. It´s not their best album of course, but it is very vital and their best album since Dirty Work. After SW, VL and B2B I was positively surprised.

Is Don Was a yes man? Well, maybe he is. But it is hard to imagine someone telling Mick or Keith "to be honest, your demos are crap". I can´t imagine anybody doing this.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 21, 2016 23:03

GasLightStreet
She Saw Me Coming... why does that get so much grief? Fantastic grinding riff, it's a funny song, for once some humor - and one of the good songs on ABB.

You are right GasLightStreet.

ABB was a great last studio album!

I mean it. If the weaker songs on it had been released on a bootleg years later some would have called it classics!

NEXT studio album please!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 22, 2016 00:04

If there is a next studio album. I'm hoping,but not holding my breath.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 22, 2016 06:15

Every time Don Was has produced the band, the sessions have had their own unique character. He does not get the same sound. As for charges of being a yes man, he's the yes man who told Mick to drop the experimental songs from VOODOO LOUNGE; he's the yes man who convinced Mick to let Keith have three lead vocals on BRIDGES TO BABYLON; he's the yes man who brought Mr. Taylor into the studio with Mr. Jagger and neglected to tell Mr. Richards; he's the yes man who told Mick "Doom and Gloom" was the good song and his other songwriting efforts weren't up to par. One may not like him as a producer, but he isn't a yes man and he doesn't produce the same sound out of the band each time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2016 08:40

GasLightStreet

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 22, 2016 08:42

Rocky Dijon
Every time Don Was has produced the band, the sessions have had their own unique character. He does not get the same sound. As for charges of being a yes man, he's the yes man who told Mick to drop the experimental songs from VOODOO LOUNGE; he's the yes man who convinced Mick to let Keith have three lead vocals on BRIDGES TO BABYLON; he's the yes man who brought Mr. Taylor into the studio with Mr. Jagger and neglected to tell Mr. Richards; he's the yes man who told Mick "Doom and Gloom" was the good song and his other songwriting efforts weren't up to par. One may not like him as a producer, but he isn't a yes man and he doesn't produce the same sound out of the band each time.

high praise indeed.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 22, 2016 12:58

With all the free time between show dates in SA could Mick and Keith still be working on the album as we speak?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 22, 2016 13:08

Maindefender
With all the free time between show dates in SA could Mick and Keith still be working on the album as we speak?

No, they will be resting and enjoying themselves with family and friends.
Jeroen

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: February 22, 2016 14:07

Nothing can be worst than the awful "Streets of love"...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: February 22, 2016 14:25

powerage78
Nothing can be worst than the awful "Streets of love"...

The Worst can be worst winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-22 14:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: February 22, 2016 20:12

They'll resume recording in mid April in London after the "Exhibitionism" opening, there will be Bernard too that will make some gigs around London...

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: February 22, 2016 20:41

GasLightStreet
mpj200
I'd be cool if the recorded some old blues songs along with some originals. Guess we will see next year hopefully.

Oh, really, eh? 2017 then it is. So no new LP this year then by your accord? The funny thing is... you may be right.

Sorry mates! I forgot we were already in 2016 when I posted this. I meant THIS year. They recorded some originals and some blues standards. What they keep or use will be determined by whatever comes out of the next session, is my guess.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 22, 2016 21:01

Ha ha! Just checkin' to see if you were really saying 2017... it'll be 2017.

Date: February 23, 2016 19:20

HMS
KRiffhard
gotdablouse

I like all three!
Look What The Cat Dragged In was love at first sight, Sweet Neo Con lately has grown immensely on me and She Saw Me Coming is also very very enjoyable. According to some opinions here the Stones should be ashamed of ABB, I can´t see the slightest reason for it. They can be proud to have released an album like ABB this late in their career. It´s not their best album of course, but it is very vital and their best album since Dirty Work. After SW, VL and B2B I was positively surprised.

Is Don Was a yes man? Well, maybe he is. But it is hard to imagine someone telling Mick or Keith "to be honest, your demos are crap". I can´t imagine anybody doing this.

Rick Rubin

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 24, 2016 01:17

GasLightStreet
Ha ha! Just checkin' to see if you were really saying 2017... it'll be 2017.

Well, if it means they will tour Europe Summer 2016, ... It dont matter to me, when the frigging album will be released. want to see the stones in Europe, and NOW.
Jeroen

Date: February 24, 2016 01:56

New album out in the fall (September or so...) with a North American major cities Tour then in 2017 Europe and Australasia Tour till 2018 with a comeback in North America or Europe...

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 24, 2016 02:28

mailexile67
New album out in the fall (September or so...) with a North American major cities Tour then in 2017 Europe and Australasia Tour till 2018 with a comeback in North America or Europe...

How many 'major cities' do you think will be included?

It's hard to imagine there's demand for another stadium tour the year after the Zip Code Tour - itself coming two years after an arena tour.

Perhaps saturation point has not been reached, in the major cities, whichever these may be.

They could include major cities from across North America and Europe to make 15 or so shows, playing New York (x2-3), 4-5 other US cities (but which ones?), London (x 2-3), Paris, Madrid, Berlin, etc.

Olly.

Posted by: Ian Billen ()
Date: February 24, 2016 04:35

Rocky Dijon

Don Was lets Mick and Keith and the band do what they want most of the time <BUT> he does, and has put his foot down. For example Mick wanted to go into the studio to record for Voodoo Lounge and Was insisted he and Keith write together and have the songs finished before getting to the studio <to assure the songs could stand on their own as good songs>.

Don Was generally is a laid back, Truce Keeper, <a mediator> ..a quiet type of producer that eases tensions. With that said.. his production work with The Stones as you noted has been truly stellar. Each album has its own unique vibe, and different sound (as you pointed out) and each is <quality>.

His work with other acts is fantastic as well. Avenue B (Iggy Pop).... The Black Crowes Lions (simply fantastic..and I dont even really care for The Black Crows). those are just a few of many. dw HAS great intellect and insight. He is a very smart bloke.. and he never lets the band down. Don Was is ..IMO over all the best producer in music. He can create an edge w/o it sounding dated or forced...it just sounds <quality> .. yet he is easily very very classicist when the situation calls for it. What I like about him is he is sort of 'under the radar' (no pun ha) as far as glitz and Hollywood notoriety. As someone once noted.. Don Was is not a guy who gets his face on all kinds of publications and publications dont always go too far over the top in referring to him. The reason for this is as someone once mentioned to me about his <under the radar> persona .... he is a 'professional'.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-24 04:41 by Ian Billen.

Date: February 24, 2016 08:40

Ian Billen
Rocky Dijon

Don Was lets Mick and Keith and the band do what they want most of the time <BUT> he does, and has put his foot down. For example Mick wanted to go into the studio to record for Voodoo Lounge and Was insisted he and Keith write together and have the songs finished before getting to the studio <to assure the songs could stand on their own as good songs>.

Don Was generally is a laid back, Truce Keeper, <a mediator> ..a quiet type of producer that eases tensions. With that said.. his production work with The Stones as you noted has been truly stellar. Each album has its own unique vibe, and different sound (as you pointed out) and each is <quality>.

His work with other acts is fantastic as well. Avenue B (Iggy Pop).... The Black Crowes Lions (simply fantastic..and I dont even really care for The Black Crows). those are just a few of many. dw HAS great intellect and insight. He is a very smart bloke.. and he never lets the band down. Don Was is ..IMO over all the best producer in music. He can create an edge w/o it sounding dated or forced...it just sounds <quality> .. yet he is easily very very classicist when the situation calls for it. What I like about him is he is sort of 'under the radar' (no pun ha) as far as glitz and Hollywood notoriety. As someone once noted.. Don Was is not a guy who gets his face on all kinds of publications and publications dont always go too far over the top in referring to him. The reason for this is as someone once mentioned to me about his <under the radar> persona .... he is a 'professional'.

Ian

thumbs down

He is a usless producer.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 24, 2016 11:01

Here's what Mick was listening to in Uruguay (thanks, Cristiano). Would be interesting to hear something like this show up:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 24, 2016 17:39

@Olly

New York, Washington, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, Charlotte, S.Francisco, Dallas, Las Vegas, Houston, Phoenix, Oakland, Anaheim, Louisville, Denver, Tampa, St.Louis,S.Antonio, S.Josè, Austin, Cleveland and so on...Everybody potentially almost sold-out

Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Moncton, calgary, regina, vancouver, Halifax...The same!

In Europe:Milan, Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Dublin, London, Gothenburg, Helsinki, Oslo, Copenaghen, St.Petersburg, Warszaw, Prague, Belgrade, Glasgow, Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart, Lyon and so on...The same!

Spoiled for choice only...winking smileythumbs upsmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2181
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home