Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24
Re: Is Some Girls the Stones Greatest Album
Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 10:16

Don't think Some Girls is their greatest. Much prefer Exile, Sticky Fingers, Goats Head, Its Only Rock and roll so much better.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 17, 2019 10:33

It’s the last great Stones album, but still notches below BB, LIB, SF, EOMS(Mt Rushmore) My $.02

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 17, 2019 10:35

Hey don't forget Aftermath too …

ROCKMAN

Date: January 17, 2019 10:47

Rockman
Hey don't forget Aftermath too …

thumbs up

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 17, 2019 12:06

The songs are easy to play. That´s why. A-D...A-D...

Date: January 17, 2019 12:11

Bjorn
The songs are easy to play. That´s why. A-D...A-D...

Beast Of Burden, Far Away Eyes, Shattered, Lies and Before They Make Run, too? winking smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 17, 2019 12:12

No but it is a very tight perfectly packaged and produced album. I always prefer GHA, IORR and B &B not the least but of course Some Girls is s lot stronger as a whole. It is one of their strongest thanks to Beast and Miss You. Shattered is fantastic.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2019 12:17

Nah.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: January 17, 2019 12:25

It is a great album but for me not their greatest. I personally think Exile is their best.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 17, 2019 12:38

Yes...
My first and my favorite too.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: January 17, 2019 12:43

no
(but it's the last great Stones album featuring new songs)

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 17, 2019 13:31

No.

1. Exile
2. Let It Bleed
3. Beggar's Banquet
4. Tattoo You
5. Sticky Fingers
6. Some Girls

7. Aftermath

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 17, 2019 13:36

Some Girls is one of the greatest; when it came out in in 78, lot of the oldtimers critics/fans of the stones trashed it. I loved it from the start because I was a new young fan, listening to punk rock as much as classic rock at the time. I am glad to see that to this day SG is still perceived as a very special record. Fun,the rolling stones seemed to have fun again on stage and in the studio. Fun is a vital force in rock and roll.

Rockandroll,

Mops

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 17, 2019 14:05

rollmops
Some Girls is one of the greatest; when it came out in in 78, lot of the oldtimers critics/fans of the stones trashed it. I loved it from the start because I was a new young fan, listening to punk rock as much as classic rock at the time. I am glad to see that to this day SG is still perceived as a very special record. Fun,the rolling stones seemed to have fun again on stage and in the studio. Fun is a vital force in rock and roll.

Rockandroll,

Mops
The punk influence on SG has been much discussed ...but yes, they went back to making a big exuberant racket... not experienced perhaps since Exile.

And it was [is] huge fun !

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 17, 2019 14:28

there is not a single Stones album I play more than Some Girls...I think the general public would agree in terms of sales...the Stones in terms of how much of the album they have played live migth agree too......individual songs in their history/cannon are certainly more iconic but isn't Beast as good if not better than Wild Horses?....and Miss You right there with SMU/Sympathy/GS,JJF, etc?

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: January 17, 2019 14:34

Beast of Burden is one of the greatest song(Before they make me run is wonderfull too).But Some Girls is not greatest album.Sticky or Goats Head is.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 17, 2019 14:48

For me, pound for pound Let It Bleed is their greatest album. Before any discussion starts you have to remember it features Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man, You Got The Silver, You Can't Always Get What You Want and Love In Vain. The other three songs ain't too bad either!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 17, 2019 14:59

1. Let it bleed
2. Beggar's Banquet
3. Exile
5. The Rolling Stones
6. Aftermath
7. Sticky
8. Bland and Blue
9. Iorr
10. Ghs
11. Out of our heads
12. Some Girls
13. Tattoo you

Date: January 17, 2019 15:04

Bland And Blue... Nice album title! grinning smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 15:12

Silver Dagger
For me, pound for pound Let It Bleed is their greatest album. Before any discussion starts you have to remember it features Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man, You Got The Silver, You Can't Always Get What You Want and Love In Vain. The other three songs ain't too bad either!
It's tough not to argue with that...I go back and forth between LiB and SF. Exile is their most complete and cohesive album, but the individual songs on LiB and SF outweigh the collective brilliance of Exile.

Some Girls usually ends up #4 or #5 when I'm ranking.

Date: January 17, 2019 15:23

Mike, I know Let It Bleed is your favourite (and it's one of my faves, too), but let's dig a little deeper into this smiling smiley

Gimmie Shelter vs Sympathy For The Devil
Love In Vain vs No Expectations
Midnight Rambler vs Street Fighting Man
You Got The Silver vs Prodigal Son
Monkey Man vs Stray Cat Blues
You Can't Always Get What You Want vs Salt Of The Earth

And Beggars Banquet has 10 songs, whereas Let It Bleed has 9.

There is something freaky and uncontrollable about the overall vibe on Beggars Banquet that we only get glimpses of on Let It Bleed (Gimmie Shelter and Midnight Rambler).

I love Let It Bleed dearly, but I'll have to give Beggars Banquet the nod here.

Just my 0.02...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 17, 2019 15:29

Silver Dagger

I agree

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 17, 2019 15:54

No, it's not. But maybe the best post 1972 album. In contention with Tattoo You. SG has more hits than TY but sounds dated (the sound) when listening to it.
TY has the monsterhit (SMU) and a better sound production than SG.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: January 17, 2019 15:58

Not even close, but Damn it's a fun album!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 17, 2019 16:30

I agree Let It Bleed is their Best Album. BB is great but in comparison to LIB it somehow doesn't feel quite as authentically "Stones".

Some Girls is a special album, the best since Exile.

Date: January 17, 2019 16:34

ryanpow
I agree Let It Bleed is their Best Album. BB is great but in comparison to LIB it somehow doesn't feel quite as authentically "Stones".

Beggars Banquet is more authentically stones. Bluesy, folkie, experimental, American, English, European.

All stones releases after Brian left have a huge chunk of stones authenticity missing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 16:47 by His Majesty.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 17, 2019 16:54

His Majesty
ryanpow

Beggars Banquet is more authentically stones. Bluesy, folkie, experimental, American, English, European.

All stones releases after Brian left have a huge chunk of stones authenticity missing.

It certainly has all these things but for most of the album IMO, it sounds more like they're searching for a new voice. None the less, the results are fuc*ng cool.

Date: January 17, 2019 17:21

ryanpow

It certainly has all these things but for most of the album IMO, it sounds more like they're searching for a new voice. None the less, the results are fuc*ng cool.

I hear it more as the same band from 1963 matured and combining everything they had experienced, lived and learned up to that point.

Kinda like their debut + Aftermath with subtle and tasteful aspects of psychedelia. With an honesty about it in that it features what they mainly love (americana), but also includes who they actually are (world travelled white english, europeans).

LIB is honest in that it reflects the fact the band no longer had Brian or a distinctive third man/voice. But, that's what I don't like about it. There's something missing. The sound and feel of The Rolling Stones as a four piece... with guests.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-17 17:37 by His Majesty.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 17, 2019 17:25

Silver Dagger

agree.

I used to think Beggars, but I'm in the Let it Bleed camp now.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 17, 2019 17:38

My unwavering personal view - Sticky Fingers is not only the Stones best, but the Greatest Rock and Roll album ever made.
I might put Some Girls in their Top 5 - that's just me.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1267
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home