Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28
Re: OT: Guns n' Roses - Axl and Slash reconcile
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 9, 2016 13:36

strat72
mnewman505
Yes, it would have been awesome to have both Steven and Izzy there but they aren't what is putting bodies in the seats for $100+.

Either are Axl and Slash though are they? Some venues have been half empty.....
exactly

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: September 9, 2016 13:50

yeah, right...

[www.billboard.com]

average attendance of over 40,000 per show

Date: September 9, 2016 14:53

superglen
yeah, right...

[www.billboard.com]

don't post facts here

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 9, 2016 15:31

This brings up a good question though:

For classic bands, ARE all members created equal?

Do Phil Rudd and Cliff Williams deserve an equal cut of the loot compared to the Young Brothers? Or Joey Kramer to Steven Tyler?

I know that U2 splits their money equally, which I find fascinating for a band of their popularity. Clearly Bono and the Edge are the musical drivers of the band, but Larry Mullin has a major influence on the overall direction they take and is highly opinionated. Adam, not so much.

It reduces drama to just split the money evenly, but it is that REALLY fair in situations where you've got one or two guys who write all the music, do the interviews, provide the "big" personalities for a band, and do the heavy lifting for onstage performance (as opposed to standing by a drum riser all night holding down a beat)?

Thoughts?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 9, 2016 16:57

strat72
This tour was always about the cash......Anyone who thought that Izzy and Adler chose not to be on this tour is a moron. Axl/Slash/Duff wanted to split the cash three ways, not five. What a joke of a band.......

You think Slash and Duff are getting an equal cut?

Slash is going broke and needs this more than anyone. Izzy took care of his money so he doesn't have to be forced to take a bad deal.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 9, 2016 17:49

"Guns N’ Roses is Now the Twelfth Largest Economy in the World"

[www.metalsucks.net]

Eleven mil for the East Rutherford show? Whoa...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-09 17:55 by dcba.

Date: September 9, 2016 17:51

Dan
strat72
This tour was always about the cash......Anyone who thought that Izzy and Adler chose not to be on this tour is a moron. Axl/Slash/Duff wanted to split the cash three ways, not five. What a joke of a band.......

Slash is going broke and needs this more than anyone. Izzy took care of his money so he doesn't have to be forced to take a bad deal.

Define "going broke" smiling smiley

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 9, 2016 18:28

DandelionPowderman
Dan
strat72

Define "going broke" smiling smiley

Touring small venues while going through a costly divorce and paying a $30,000 a month mortgage on an underwater house on the market that won't sell.

I am sure he is making a lot of money on this tour but he is still basically an employee of Axl Rose Incorporated.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 9, 2016 20:40

Izzy deserves way better than this.

[twitter.com]

Date: September 9, 2016 23:12

Kurt
Izzy deserves way better than this.

Maybe they'll give a fair deal for the Japanese and Euro tours. I know Izzy's got a huge following in Japan so maybe Axl will use Izzy to sell tix for the Japanese shows at an extortionate price? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 9, 2016 23:58

keefriffhard4life
superglen
yeah, right...

[www.billboard.com]

don't post facts here

The fact is that some concerts have been far from sold out. That's not my opinion, it's the plain simple truth. The second Chicago show had the whole upper tier empty. A bit of a flop considering how long they have been away. They still made $ because of the rip off prices though.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 10, 2016 00:03

Dan
strat72

You are most likely correct. You have to respect Izzy for not putting up with Axl's bullshit. Slash and Duff are back to bending over and being Axl's bitches. Just like old times really....

Date: September 13, 2016 22:50

"GN’R Reunion: Izzy Stradlin Was Reportedly Offered a Five-Figure-Per-Show Fee"
[www.metalsucks.net]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 13, 2016 23:08

ROCKMAN

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: September 14, 2016 11:42

strat72
keefriffhard4life
superglen
yeah, right...

[www.billboard.com]

don't post facts here

The fact is that some concerts have been far from sold out. That's not my opinion, it's the plain simple truth. The second Chicago show had the whole upper tier empty. A bit of a flop considering how long they have been away. They still made $ because of the rip off prices though.

forget about the gross for a second. look at average attendance in North Am: over 40,000 per show. amazing turnout for a rock band, it will probably be the overall best of 2016. especially considering that the tour reached "secondary markets" like New Orleans and Cincinnati and skipped the majority of Canada...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 14, 2016 19:30

I can't recall exactly but I think GNR is the biggest rock act to play the Superdome since... 1997.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 19, 2016 17:10

"We got these gigs supporting the Rolling Stones. We’re massive Stones fans, so that’s great for us.
We get down there and the Stones each have their own limo, their own trailer, their own lawyer – you know, Mick has one, Keith has one, Charlie has one…
I remember turning around to Izzy and saying: ‘Man, we’ll never be like that.’
Of course, six months later, that was us.”

- DUFF, Classic Rock #160

Use Your Illusion Anniversary

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 19, 2016 17:49

Cool picture. Interesting to think about all the things that happened around Guns 'n' Roses at that time, in such a short period. No one knew that soon Steven and Izzy would be out of the group and in another four years Slash as well.

Mick and Keith look so young in that picture, yet they were considered very old and experienced by rock 'n' roll standards at that time.

Funny, they were actually younger then (47 years old) compared to the Guns guys today (who are all over 50).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 19, 2016 18:49

LieB
Cool picture. Interesting to think about all the things that happened around Guns 'n' Roses at that time, in such a short period. No one knew that soon Steven and Izzy would be out of the group and in another four years Slash as well.

Mick and Keith look so young in that picture, yet they were considered very old and experienced by rock 'n' roll standards at that time.

Funny, they were actually younger then (47 years old) compared to the Guns guys today (who are all over 50).

All of that is so true. Although you read what Duff says and you apply it to now (25+ years since the Steel Wheels tour) and its pretty amazing. Not that the "Stones do it all for us" but the length they have to go to get it done. By 1989, they had all their own stuff, limos, lawyers as Duff says. And you see it as a young band and think it seems excessive. Maybe why even tour. But then you see it brought them to where they are now, another 30 years down the line, and its obviously absolutely necessary. Its not ideal, but its what has to happen for them to give us the show we still see.

To see the camaraderie as it is now in a purely professional sense. Its better to keep them apart unless they have to be together or risk ruining something that is bigger than all of them. Its a pretty dour view, but it is the business. I guess what I'm getting at is the whole corporate brand the band has become was I guess the best thing for them, because they are still able to be here doing it together. I'm a huge GNR fan so obviously I want them to still be hanging out like the old days on this new reunion. But, if they are separate and have all their own stuff and hardly see each other, and in exchange we get the proper live show we want from them, I guess you learn to accept that in the end its the best option.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 20, 2016 00:33

keefriff99

It reduces drama to just split the money evenly, but it is that REALLY fair in situations where you've got one or two guys who write all the music, do the interviews, provide the "big" personalities for a band, and do the heavy lifting for onstage performance (as opposed to standing by a drum riser all night holding down a beat)?

Thoughts?

I've dealt with a lot of mouthbreathers on that issue in regards to the Eagles. A lot of them take Don Felder's side, demonize Henley and Frey for terminating him, and call the History of the Eagles documentary as a hatchet job to take vengeance on Felder.

I've constantly told them the truth: Felder is a whiny, manipulative scumbag who couldn't deal with change after the Hell Freezes Over tour, and kept trying to weasel his way into money he didn't deserve. Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit have confirmed this, and have had no problem with the financial arrangement, since they just wanted to play together and knew they were still making a great deal of money, and resented Felder's self-serving explanation of "I'm doing this for all of us: us three, Randy and Bernie," knowing it made no sense. It is a shame, though, that Frey died with resentment still at full bore.

Date: September 20, 2016 16:56

Toxic34
keefriff99

Thoughts?

I've dealt with a lot of mouthbreathers on that issue in regards to the Eagles. A lot of them take Don Felder's side, demonize Henley and Frey for terminating him, and call the History of the Eagles documentary as a hatchet job to take vengeance on Felder.

I've constantly told them the truth: Felder is a whiny, manipulative scumbag who couldn't deal with change after the Hell Freezes Over tour, and kept trying to weasel his way into money he didn't deserve. Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit have confirmed this, and have had no problem with the financial arrangement, since they just wanted to play together and knew they were still making a great deal of money, and resented Felder's self-serving explanation of "I'm doing this for all of us: us three, Randy and Bernie," knowing it made no sense. It is a shame, though, that Frey died with resentment still at full bore.

i thought felders complaint was that henley/frey tried to change a contract felder had signed.

Date: September 20, 2016 18:39

keefriffhard4life
Toxic34
keefriff99

Thoughts?

i thought felders complaint was that henley/frey tried to change a contract felder had signed.

This ties in with the same thing. Felder referred to the contract setting up Eagles Ltd. in the '70s, and Henley and Frey went to Irving Azoff during the Hell Freezes Over Tour to change the financial arrangement, citing their successful solo careers and reflections on the visibility of the band to keep it alive, as well as the songwriting credits. Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit were quite happy with this arrangement, and found it quite fair, while Felder bitched about the money no longer due him. Throughout the tour, he kept on asking "Where's my money, give me my money, I want my money," like a mantra, to the point that they all tried to avoid him. Felder also kept using this to drag his feet in refusing to work in the studio, then tried to use the "I'm doing this for all of us not just me" excuse to justify his behavior, which everyone knew to be bullshit. He was especially galled when his attempt to co-opt Joe failed, and Felder ranted "that ungrateful prick! I drove him to @#$%& rehab!" Yeah, so what? Joe doesn't owe you a damn thing for that. It's not leverage you can call in like poker chip. Even though Felder did sign by 2001, he didn't bother to sign every single line required. This disrespect was the last straw, and he was thus terminated. The last communication anyone had with him prior to the lawsuits was Timothy saying "You should've just signed the damn papers, Fingers."

Date: September 20, 2016 18:47

what does don and glenn having successful solo careers have to do with the eagles? felder is right. thats like stevie nicks saying she deserves more money from fleetwood mac because she was the biggest solo star. n top of that freys solo sales in the usa are less than 4 million total and thats 5 studio albums 1 live album and a hits collection. imo not very successful

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 20, 2016 19:07

More money when it's cut 4 ways versus 5. Felder was probably pissed and Henley/Frye were counting money .Happens all the time and the only ones hurt besides Felder were the fans !!!

Date: September 20, 2016 19:08

keefriffhard4life
what does don and glenn having successful solo careers have to do with the eagles? felder is right. thats like stevie nicks saying she deserves more money from fleetwood mac because she was the biggest solo star. n top of that freys solo sales in the usa are less than 4 million total and thats 5 studio albums 1 live album and a hits collection. imo not very successful

It's a reflection of truth. The truth was that Henley and Frey did more to keep the memory of the Eagles alive than any of the other three. They kept referring to it and performing the songs (even when Frey kept spiking earlier attempts to reform), and enjoying the fruits of their labors. Plus, they were the primary songwriters, which was important.

Joe Walsh's solo career in the '80s, while very respectable, was nowhere near what it was before and during the Eagles' first run, and the addiction that he spiraled into began to seriously affect him. And Timothy had very little of a solo career, working as a gun for hire with various artists, notably Toto, Jimmy Buffett and Warren Zevon. But the two still had great input in creating the songs they were known for, and had mesmerizing vocal abilities, though Joe's was the weakest.

Felder had virtually nothing other than his ability to create great riffs, chords and solos. He is not a songwriter by any means, as his tapes were always disjointed sketches, which makes his saying "I wrote Hotel California and Victim Of Love" patently ridiculous. Also, he has next to no singing ability, and is essentially the same as a cruise ship Kareoke singer. On The Soundtrack Of Summer Tour with Styx and Foreigner, the other bands more than outshone him, even without Dennis DeYoung or Lou Gramm in tow. The re-recorded version of Hotel California is also proof positive of this, as Tommy Shaw and Kelly Hansen blow Felder out of the water. So, for Felder get an absolute equal share of everything and an equal say in how the band was run is beyond absurd. It is not earned or gained. For the vast majority of cases, bands succeed when they are either dictatorships or meritocracies. Very few true democratic bands have succeeded, because it is generally a case of of just being a wash, especially if the collaborations skew to one side but everyone gets equally paid regardless.

Date: September 20, 2016 19:17

As has been pointed out, the Felder issue is not so cut and dry. Yes, as you say, he didn't write the songs and he wasn't the face of the band. But the stuff in Felder's corner is not nothing. He was arguing because he WAS part of the original split when they created their company. So to take him out, whether rightly or wrongly, makes sense that he'd fight over that. Plus, Frey has a lot of luck that he wrote the Eagles songs and was one of the frontman, because his solo career was atrocious. To say "I deserve more money" based off that is laughable because his solo career is downright embarrassing. So Felder has more than enough points. Just cause Joe and Timothy don't have the balls to argue it doesn't mean Felder is wrong. So calling people mouthbreathers is frankly stupid. You obviously have your opinion but it isn't the law and its not cut and dry.

The Stevie Nicks comparison is a good one. She may be the biggest star in the band, but she's not automatically right to ask for more money. She didn't start the band. She may be 10 times the star of Mick Fleetwood, but there'd be no band for her to join if not for him and John. When you're in Fleetwood Mac, you all get paid the same. If you think you're a big enough star, go tour on your own and fill venues that way and rake in the dough, which is exactly what Stevie Nicks is doing right now. As I've mentioned, Steven Tyler always says he deserves more than the rest of Aerosmith. Steven, you may 100% right but Aerosmith is all original members and they all do their work. If you think you deserve more, tour on your own and make money that way. But you alone are not the Aerosmith name, or it would be called Steven Tyler's Aerosmith, and even though you have fair points, its an even split because its a band.

Date: September 20, 2016 20:38

RollingFreak
As has been pointed out, the Felder issue is not so cut and dry. Yes, as you say, he didn't write the songs and he wasn't the face of the band. But the stuff in Felder's corner is not nothing. He was arguing because he WAS part of the original split when they created their company. So to take him out, whether rightly or wrongly, makes sense that he'd fight over that. Plus, Frey has a lot of luck that he wrote the Eagles songs and was one of the frontman, because his solo career was atrocious. To say "I deserve more money" based off that is laughable because his solo career is downright embarrassing. So Felder has more than enough points. Just cause Joe and Timothy don't have the balls to argue it doesn't mean Felder is wrong. So calling people mouthbreathers is frankly stupid. You obviously have your opinion but it isn't the law and its not cut and dry.

The Stevie Nicks comparison is a good one. She may be the biggest star in the band, but she's not automatically right to ask for more money. She didn't start the band. She may be 10 times the star of Mick Fleetwood, but there'd be no band for her to join if not for him and John. When you're in Fleetwood Mac, you all get paid the same. If you think you're a big enough star, go tour on your own and fill venues that way and rake in the dough, which is exactly what Stevie Nicks is doing right now. As I've mentioned, Steven Tyler always says he deserves more than the rest of Aerosmith. Steven, you may 100% right but Aerosmith is all original members and they all do their work. If you think you deserve more, tour on your own and make money that way. But you alone are not the Aerosmith name, or it would be called Steven Tyler's Aerosmith, and even though you have fair points, its an even split because its a band.

i don't think freys solo career is terrible but i will say a few years ago felder put out a solo album thats better than most of freys solo stuff

Date: September 20, 2016 22:00

RollingFreak
Felder has more than enough points. Just cause Joe and Timothy don't have the balls to argue it doesn't mean Felder is wrong.

Joe and Timothy have said they were happy with the new arrangement and blasted Felder for his actions, calling him greedy and self-aggrandizing. Far from not having the balls, they eagerly defended the new arrangement and pointed out that they were still receiving a lot of money regardless and could still live very comfortable lives. It's basically like the South Park episode of Faith+1 and MOOP, where the cop tells Stan, Kyle and Kenny that lack of CD sales mean that celebrities can't get private islands or the most recent private jet.

Date: September 20, 2016 23:01

Toxic34
RollingFreak
Felder has more than enough points. Just cause Joe and Timothy don't have the balls to argue it doesn't mean Felder is wrong.

Joe and Timothy have said they were happy with the new arrangement and blasted Felder for his actions, calling him greedy and self-aggrandizing. Far from not having the balls, they eagerly defended the new arrangement and pointed out that they were still receiving a lot of money regardless and could still live very comfortable lives. It's basically like the South Park episode of Faith+1 and MOOP, where the cop tells Stan, Kyle and Kenny that lack of CD sales mean that celebrities can't get private islands or the most recent private jet.
I get it, but Joe and Tim were never part of the original company Felder was. Felder is NOT an original member, but he was a full member of their corporation that they created in 1975, along with Bernie and Randy, before Joe and Tim joined the band. So yes, I get that Felder would have made more than enough money, like Joe and Tim are now, but his thing was more a matter of principle. Was it stupid? Perhaps, and maybe outright yes. But I get what he's arguing. He's arguing for something Joe and Tim weren't even apart of, so their say doesn't actually mean much.

Tim is just happy to be there and would probably pay for pennies if its what they offered him. Joe seems like a pretty easy going guy and does fine with and without the Eagles. He'll make enough money cause they need him, but I think he also knows his place as a non-original member and the third "face" of the band. Felder should probably feel the same way, but I get what he's arguing which is why its not so cut and dry. Felder has a point even if its not the smartest to argue. I personally think its less about greed and more about holding Don and Glenn to what they all originally agreed upon, even though greed is certainly part of it too, and I like that he holds them to that even if he lost. Especially when there argument was then that Frey and Henley kept the name alive, which pointed out the laughable career Frey had till coming back to the Eagles.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: September 22, 2016 04:49

Just want to chime in on this Eagles discussion.

"A lot of them take Don Felder's side, demonize Henley and Frey for terminating him, and call the History of the Eagles documentary as a hatchet job to take vengeance on Felder."

I didn't see The History of the Eagles as a hatchet job on Don Felder. I felt like I got to hear both parties in a divorce state their case. Felder got to air his complaints. If they wanted to make him look bad, they would have cut out a lot of what ended up in there. Shoot, they even ended it with him saying that he would like to smooth things over - he got to look like the forgiving guy. After watching it, I liked Felder more and Frey less. (Granted, this depends on what annoys you in a person, but I thought the documentary made Glenn look like a real tool.) So to me, it seemed pretty fair to Felder. (Side note: Don Felder's book was pretty cool. Had a nice Keith story too.)

There's no point in taking sides in this. Some people just don't like working with each other. It happens. Stones fans should be used to it.

-R

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home