Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: OT: Guns n' Roses - Axl and Slash reconcile
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 5, 2016 11:13

Yes I kinda had a feeling that AIC would open that one from the get go... not sure what took so long to announce - Gonna be a great night !!!![/quote]

A band called the Pink Slips is also opening. Duff McKagan's 17 year old daughter, Grace. They've been on tour opening for AIC. Looks at least interesting. Grace looks like she might have those dang super model genes, haha.smoking smiley

Date: August 5, 2016 11:45

RollingFreak
Palace Revolution 2000
Wonder what song they're doing where Slash seems to be solo-ing on the 12 String.
Also - this is the first time I have seen Axl look pretty good in late era. Did he lose weight? Or is it just that he shaved that mustache off?
Knockin' On Heaven's Door was the song. As for Axl looking good, its a lot of things. Yeah, he lost a bit of weight. He's still big, but he looks more comfortable with it now and he's in better shape. Also, as you said, he shaved the god awful moustache and ditched the shades and hat (well, shades at least). He looks a lot more natural now. The constantly covering himself up made him look worse, whereas I think now that he just seems to be embracing himself (its not a coincidence that he's no longer wearing scarves and shades and hats to cover his face) he looks much better. I tip my hat to him cause I truly didn't know if he could do it.

Thanks RollingFreak. "Knockin.." of course. Does Duff sing a lot in these shows? I always find it so interesting to watch characters evolve; sometimes soar, sometimes fall - in life story of a longtime band. You see someone who may have been more in background, step up, and show great strength.
Duff looking good these days.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 5, 2016 16:06

Front row,slash's side, at the pittsburgh show. Duff sings his 1 song. 2 if you count the little bit of YCPYAAAM and some backing vocqls.

Date: August 5, 2016 16:31

Some of the pictures that I took during the pittsburgh concert. Sorry for the poor quality.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 5, 2016 16:35

Palace Revolution 2000
Duff looking good these days.
Duff looks incredible and its scary how great he looks for 50, and compared to how he looked at the end of the Illusions tour and after the way he lived his life. He turned it around and became the most adult and most in shape one. I'm in awe of Duff.

Also, great pictures Ming!

Date: August 5, 2016 16:47

I've seen him at my local record store. You can see the hard miles but he seems good now. Good writer on the book level. I'm weird but the Chinese Democracy song I'd like to see them try is Street of Dreams. Killer song. Axl sings the hell out of that one.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 5, 2016 17:43

crholmstrom
I've seen him at my local record store. You can see the hard miles but he seems good now. Good writer on the book level. I'm weird but the Chinese Democracy song I'd like to see them try is Street of Dreams. Killer song. Axl sings the hell out of that one.

Still need to get around to Duff's book. Love Slash but HATED his book. Literally reads as a day to day "these are the drugs I took." Heard Duff's is much better. I agree with you on Chinese, Street Of Dreams would be a great song for them to pull out. I still think you only need 2 songs from that album, 3 at the absolute most, and they just aren't doing the right ones. I like the title track. I've always wanted to hear Slash play that. Don't like Better. Never have and the only thing I like is the new intro which I'd prefer they add to something else. And This I Love, while showing Axl's range, also doesn't really work, since he can't really sing it or Better. So like you, I'd prefer a track that maybe doesn't highlight Axl as much but is a better and catchier song. Street Of Dreams, There Was A Time, IRS. There are some good songs on the album and IMO they are playing all the wrong ones.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 5, 2016 18:26

People actually bought and listened to CHINESE DEMOCRACY?

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 5, 2016 18:58

Y'know it's really not that BAD of an album. Had it come out after a normal time had passed, it wouldn't have been so poorly received I don't think by the fans. But after all those years, the hype, it was a let down, but it's a decent album. Much different from the golden era stuff, but not that bad really.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: August 5, 2016 19:22

VoodooLounge13
Y'know it's really not that BAD of an album. Had it come out after a normal time had passed, it wouldn't have been so poorly received I don't think by the fans. But after all those years, the hype, it was a let down, but it's a decent album. Much different from the golden era stuff, but not that bad really.
Yes agreed, it has a lot of good songs and it's been great hearing Slash and Duff play on a few of them live, particularly Chinese Democracy which Slash rips a new ass hole into. I hope they play more from Chinese Democracy as the tour continues.

Date: August 5, 2016 20:29

catcher in the rye and IRS are the ones that need to be played

Date: August 5, 2016 20:45

GasLightStreet

It actually was a pretty decent record. Just way over-produced. Maybe if Axl spent 3 years on it instead of 10. I saw 1 of the shows with Buckethead & Robin Finck. It was phenomenal. Man, Buckethead sure confused some spuds! There's a boot of it out in the world. The Tacoma Dome. I've alw-ays been a big fan of Tommy Stinson, too. I'm looking forward to this show though. I haven't been to a big, dumb rock spectacle in a long time. Brings me back to my youth. & although the show was overpriced, I managed to get really decent tickets for $60. Not bad nowadays. Still lots of tickets left at the far end of the stadium though. I'm sure they will get a good bump in Seattle by adding Alice in Chains. They are still beloved here. I haven't seen AIC with the newish singer. I like what I've heard of him though. He's not a slave to Layne but is respectful while bringing his own thing. Jerry Cantrell was always the key to that band with writing the songs. Jerry's a good cosinger & fine guitar player. Should be a fun evening. Nice warmup to a month & a half of killer shows for me. After that, I'm one of the lucky ones who scored Temple of the Dog tickets in November. The after market on those tickets is insane.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 5, 2016 21:01

MingSubu
Some of the pictures that I took during the pittsburgh concert. Sorry for the poor quality.

[i241.photobucket.com][/img]

Cool pictures thumbs up

Date: August 6, 2016 03:07

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

It actually was a pretty decent record. Just way over-produced. Maybe if Axl spent 3 years on it instead of 10. I saw 1 of the shows with Buckethead & Robin Finck. It was phenomenal. Man, Buckethead sure confused some spuds! There's a boot of it out in the world. The Tacoma Dome. I've alw-ays been a big fan of Tommy Stinson, too. I'm looking forward to this show though. I haven't been to a big, dumb rock spectacle in a long time. Brings me back to my youth. & although the show was overpriced, I managed to get really decent tickets for $60. Not bad nowadays. Still lots of tickets left at the far end of the stadium though. I'm sure they will get a good bump in Seattle by adding Alice in Chains. They are still beloved here. I haven't seen AIC with the newish singer. I like what I've heard of him though. He's not a slave to Layne but is respectful while bringing his own thing. Jerry Cantrell was always the key to that band with writing the songs. Jerry's a good cosinger & fine guitar player. Should be a fun evening. Nice warmup to a month & a half of killer shows for me. After that, I'm one of the lucky ones who scored Temple of the Dog tickets in November. The after market on those tickets is insane.

it actually only took 4 years to make. rumor it was complete around 2001 and a producer talked axl into re-recording the entire thing again and then some songs were shuffled in and out which ended up adding another 5 years to it. the album was started around 1997 after whatever the band was working on was trashed once duff left in 1997.

Date: August 6, 2016 03:26

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

it actually only took 4 years to make. rumor it was complete around 2001 and a producer talked axl into re-recording the entire thing again and then some songs were shuffled in and out which ended up adding another 5 years to it. the album was started around 1997 after whatever the band was working on was trashed once duff left in 1997.

whatever. who's counting? it was a mighty long time between records!eye rolling smiley

Date: August 6, 2016 03:48

crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

whatever. who's counting? it was a mighty long time between records!eye rolling smiley

i think it was roy thomas baker

around 2005 is was finished again and then 2 members left and the new members added parts or in the drummers case re-recorded all the parts again

Date: August 6, 2016 20:47

I listened to it. It's lame. Half of USE YOUR ILLUSION, maybe more than half, is lame too. They had some identity issues that ruined those albums. They could've been much better if it was just a single album and much better song selection.

Imagine if they'd released it like this:

Right Next Door To Hell
You Could Be Mine
Perfect Crime
Bad Apples
Dust 'N' Bones
Civil War
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Yesterdays
Dead Horse

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 6, 2016 21:34

GasLightStreet

Right Next Door To Hell
You Could Be Mine
Perfect Crime
Bad Apples
Dust 'N' Bones
Civil War
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Yesterdays
Dead Horse

You have a weak album here (imo).
Imo again UYI works as a double album and any attempt to trim it down to a single record à la AFD makes it crumble.
Miek Clink was for G&R what was Jimmy Miller for the Stones : a key element. He designed UYI as a grand body of work as much as he designed AFD to be a condensed punch in the face of the listener.

Date: August 7, 2016 07:35

dcba
GasLightStreet

Right Next Door To Hell
You Could Be Mine
Perfect Crime
Bad Apples
Dust 'N' Bones
Civil War
Bad Obsession
The Garden
Yesterdays
Dead Horse

You have a weak album here (imo).
Imo again UYI works as a double album and any attempt to trim it down to a single record à la AFD makes it crumble.
Miek Clink was for G&R what was Jimmy Miller for the Stones : a key element. He designed UYI as a grand body of work as much as he designed AFD to be a condensed punch in the face of the listener.

Nah. It's just not good, all that crap. A majority of the songs on the two albums were so over-produced... they sound beyond contrived. At times it sounds as if "Oh we have this equipment so let's make it sound" blah blah blah. Not good is what it sounds like. Mike Clink worked wonders with APPETITE. By the time they started on YYI they had lost the aggression that is audible on and made AFD so good.

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: August 7, 2016 22:32

Who's going in Seattle this Friday. I'll be in the pit. Gonna be hot out!

Date: August 7, 2016 22:43

Montrealsuperfan

i've got tickets in the front of the upper deck pretty close to the stage. looking forward to it. axl had a wee temper tantrum in texas. it was bound to happen. kind of like going to a nascar race. waiting for the wreck... grinning smiley

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: August 7, 2016 23:13

keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

around 2005 is was finished again and then 2 members left and the new members added parts or in the drummers case re-recorded all the parts again

Yes, Roy Thomas Baker was the producer in question. Axl actually felt the album was ready to go by 2000-2001, and that Baker was just basically gonna put on minor finishing touches and approve the album. Baker decided to appeal to Axl's massive fanboy devotion for Queen and said that the album wasn't epic enough, that "the people want big grand statements and textures. You have the chance to make your own Night At The Opera, your own Bohemian Rhapsody. You release this album as is, people will complain that it's too flat, too unfinished." So, this prompted Axl's 8 years of reworking and overdubbing, only to find out that while the critics were generally onboard with this direction, the public wasn't, and that if anything, they would've preferred the more raw sound that Baker dismissed.

Date: August 7, 2016 23:47

Toxic34
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

Yes, Roy Thomas Baker was the producer in question. Axl actually felt the album was ready to go by 2000-2001, and that Baker was just basically gonna put on minor finishing touches and approve the album. Baker decided to appeal to Axl's massive fanboy devotion for Queen and said that the album wasn't epic enough, that "the people want big grand statements and textures. You have the chance to make your own Night At The Opera, your own Bohemian Rhapsody. You release this album as is, people will complain that it's too flat, too unfinished." So, this prompted Axl's 8 years of reworking and overdubbing, only to find out that while the critics were generally onboard with this direction, the public wasn't, and that if anything, they would've preferred the more raw sound that Baker dismissed.

wish it was released around 2001

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: August 8, 2016 01:34

keefriffhard4life
Toxic34
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

People, what are your thoughts about Baker's advice? What do you think about what he told Axl? If you had been anywhere close to Axl at this time, what would you have said if you'd been privy to Baker's advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 01:42 by Toxic34.

Date: August 8, 2016 01:38

crholmstrom
Montrealsuperfan

i've got tickets in the front of the upper deck pretty close to the stage. looking forward to it. axl had a wee temper tantrum in texas. it was bound to happen. kind of like going to a nascar race. waiting for the wreck... grinning smiley

I love Century Link- go a lot for the Seahawks- lots of great craft and draft beer. Hope its ice cold and flowing on Friday night!!

Date: August 8, 2016 01:42

PS- I believe Duff is from Seattle?

Date: August 8, 2016 02:31

Montrealsuperfan
PS- I believe Duff is from Seattle?

Yes, Duff is from Seattle. He played in a local legendary punk band called the Fartz. Century Link is the rare stadium that actually sounds good. It was designed to funnel the sound into the stadium as anyone who has gone to a Seahawk game can attest. I've seen Metallica, the Stones & U2 there. U2 was the best sounding stadium show I've ever been to. I go to 2 or 3 Hawk games a year. So far this year, I'm set to go to the Miami & San Francisco games. Both are while it is still warm out. I think the Hawks are going to be back in the Super Bowl this year. Thomas Rawls just got taken off the PUP today. Woo hoo! GO HAWKS! smileys with beer

Date: August 8, 2016 04:03

Toxic34
keefriffhard4life
Toxic34
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet

People, what are your thoughts about Baker's advice? What do you think about what he told Axl? If you had been anywhere close to Axl at this time, what would you have said if you'd been privy to Baker's advice?

i would have just released the album and who knows by 2008 axl might have released the followup.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: August 8, 2016 18:36

MingSubu

The photos are absolute okay. Thanx for sharing them. smiling bouncing smileydrinking smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 8, 2016 19:11

Thanks guys! I have a bunch more but most are blurry like the axl and slash pic. I couldnt stand still, I was so excited about seeing them again and being front row.

This was my 4th time. '88, '92, '02 and this time. I got my pit tickets the day before the show. Got in line at 430. Gates finally opened at 545 and I was about 10 people away from center stage, on the rail. Couldn't believe it

I have to say the entire band was rocking but slash was giving it his all. A couple solos in front of me and you could see in his face that he was r3ally trying. I forget now which solo but he flubbed th3 ending a little and he said @#$%& and showed his frustration. It was cool seeing him give it his all instead of phoning it in.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home