Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20
Re: Sticky Fingers Live (Fonda Theatre 2015) officially on i-tunes
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 1, 2015 05:52

bitusa2012
Great show. So little(none?) fanfare about its release.

I am not sure if the complaining about this show, and the Stones in general in fact, doesn't say more about those who complain than about the Stones.

Christ, they are in their 70s and they STILL rock out like this. I am approaching my 61st. I couldn't keep up with them in any shape or form. Yes, they aren't the same as they were in their 20s and 30s. Are any of us?

I am JUST so bloody glad they still put on a show of this quality AND release it.

So, it's brick walled a bit..turn it down a shade and it sounds bloody good.

agree to all but last paragraph
you dont "solve" brickwalling turning down the volume a bit
it aint no use with sweet summer sun for example (style in mastering live music i think is also an issue here)
equipment and condition of listening are of course important
as they are in comparing lossless and lossy (so you have two layered problems there)
ridiculous to say there is no difference between lossless and lossy (and of course there are lots of different ways to lose data), but also ridiculous to say: I need flac or wav or any other lossless because I want to listen to "the real thing" while going to work in the morning in my car, train, walking downtown...
on the contrary I doubt your ears wont feel the difference if you play thru a decent equipment in front of your couch
I tested the snippets on iTunes and to my ears it seems that the same muddy-pumped up sound of SSS is annoyingly there. no final judgement of course
enough to make me keep from buying - at least at the moment spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
This has nothing to do with the pleasure with which I greet this release and, even by the snippets I salivate like a pavlov's dog for SM, IGTB, YGM and everything there is
(and you wont find me complaing about what there's not)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 05:55 by maumau.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: July 1, 2015 08:22

I'm halfway through and just floored. My only regret as I sit here listening to Moonlight Mile is that I "saw"* them perform it in Dallas 3 weeks ago. If the show was half as good as the Fonda show I really missed out.

How certain posters can completely dismiss the performance here is beyond me (blinded (deafened?) by bias or hopefully just messing with us?). I never would have believed they were capable of this if asked in 2007. I really can't believe it now.

* Nothing so frustrating as MM echoing through the concourses while searching desperately and ultimately mostly unsuccessfully for a location with listenable sound. And likely my last show!

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 09:19

I have listened of the 10 songs. It was a good idea at first and good for the ones who were over there but I think this kind of show comes so late, what a shame! Imagine if they did it in 71-72-73 with Mick Taylor, that would have been a killer. Ronnie plays very well on it but it was the Taylor's era and he was at his peak. They lost so much to keep a same setlist during the 70's. But now they do it for the launching of the "Sticky fingers" reissue. They do it (for now) only one time and commercialize it just after, one time by downloading and when you'll get it, all the "armada" of differents versions will come. I am not complaining, I'm just realistic and objective. Good idea but too late but good idea at least! But...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2015 09:43

I have a feeling this won't hold up under repeated listenings. Ron & Mick are still strong, but Keith, and even Charlie, well...

This will be a good release to get from the library when they release it on DVD in the fall.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:08

This is great! I love how it sounds here Wood.
I never really liked the sound of Taylor, Wood is much more Stones!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:11

24FPS
I have a feeling this won't hold up under repeated listenings.

...I have done practically nothing but thàt ; and it seems you're wrong. smoking smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:18

24FPS
I have a feeling this won't hold up under repeated listenings.

Played it about 15 times to date...gets better every time. Suggest you actually give it a listen and ... time. Really, there's nothing wrong with it.

Would you have prefered a 'live' record polished and 'replayed' in the studio ala The Eagles, or even Ya-Yas with its overdubs (and if I am not wrong - that record HAS Taylor on it!) or just a raw, genuine, well played and sung momento of a live performance, small warts and all, in a small venue of a GREAT LP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 11:18 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:20

Listening to CYHMK. Great saxo, fantastic Ronnie. No Taylor need

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Camm ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:28

They gave us a surprise! If you have to break it down to "Loudness " or any of that then this isn't for you clearly. It's a live recording, last I checked, Stones shows are Loud and not perfect. If this show was on periscope would all the naysayers be complaining? Would you complain you can't hear everyone breathe? They were sneaky in the way they released it yes. But, anyone who complains I'm sure if you had the chance to be there it would be a different story. If you're complaining about the price, once again, choose, Big Mac Combo or the download. It's not pricey. The fact they released it so soon is a gift. Let's hear someone complain they can't hear Mick accidentally fart during a song if your ears are so clear, perfect and won't listen to this, or if it's inferior to your High End set up. If this was a bootleg or hard to find recording I doubt we would hear complaints, rather the " I have this" type of thing. Even if it sounded half as good.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:30

Yeah that sax part in CYHMK is excellent, a LOT better than anything Denson's played since (at least based on the YT videos that circulate) where he's very lacking in the groove department, wouldn't be surprised if it had been touched up since...

As for repeated listens, been looping it here and not getting tired of yet, can't see why it wouldn't hold up, there's nothing that detracts from the enjoyment is there? "Sister Morphine" is quite spectacular, almost sounds like a new song at times!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 1, 2015 12:33

I think all his solos on CYHMK have been excellent so far. They are all a bit different, but always with a homage to Bobby.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:38

Camm
If this was a bootleg or hard to find recording I doubt we would hear complaints, rather the " I have this" type of thing. Even if it sounded half as good.

+1
The audiophile considerations I have read there are quite dopey.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:53

...the almost-'hidden'*, (semi-??)accoustic parts of Keith Richards on "Sister Morphine" at the Fonda are nothing short of sensational,
and blow all other Stones guitarists, past & present, right out of the park (if this, indeed, would be the competition some people over here - in other threads, mind you - apparently love to make of it. smoking smiley )

* I'm no audiophile, but if this is one of the consequences of this so-called brickwalling, then I am 100% against it.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:10

I find Keith's weird timing on "Sister Morphine" at 0:22 highly annoying. Other than that, I love this release. Very refreshing stuff. Imagine how great the stadium concerts could be if they played this SF set every night.

Now I want the complete concert. Then I want complete Echoplex concert, with stuff like "That's How Strong My Love Is". MORE MORE MORE.
I will listen to this new release much more than Marquee '71.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:11

toomuchforme
Listening to CYHMK. Great saxo, fantastic Ronnie. No Taylor need

Ronnie's solo on CYHMK is very good, without any doubt, but far from excellent or ingenious. Just in such moments one can hear quite well his limitations. However, which guitarist is on a par with MT on such classical tracks, which he influenced massively in his 5 years? So Taylor would enrich the band in such cases ...

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:16

I feel Ronnie has used great 'tone' settings on this recording, and a nice fluid way to play. This is beautiful .....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 1, 2015 14:10

DREAMTIME
Learn all the history of Steve Jobs and then you will know. It would take me pages and I'm not a typer. I'll give you one big enough reason of the thousands that come off the tip of my tongue, not which is his big part in the destruction of the music industry,

but he had the most liquid capital in 2008, more than the USA gov't, when 'our' country, along with many others, were in the biggest depression in their lifetimes, AND HE DID NOTHING WITH IT!!!. In my world that is treason and is punishable by DEATH!

Find an old film/video clip in his early days when he complains about IBM market share....

LOL, it's widely known Steve Jobs donated millions during his lifetime, but he did his best to do so privately, which didn't always work ... but go on w/ your beliefs etc. if it makes you happy. Some people just like to spout off how much they refuse to buy apple but it's funny how most times they can't really even say why, and furthermore I don't see them researching owners/companies for every thing else they buy.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 1, 2015 14:44

DREAMTIME
Learn all the history of Steve Jobs and then you will know. It would take me pages and I'm not a typer. I'll give you one big enough reason of the thousands that come off the tip of my tongue, not which is his big part in the destruction of the music industry,

but he had the most liquid capital in 2008, more than the USA gov't, when 'our' country, along with many others, were in the biggest depression in their lifetimes, AND HE DID NOTHING WITH IT!!!. In my world that is treason and is punishable by DEATH!

Find an old film/video clip in his early days when he complains about IBM market share....

Oh grow up.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 1, 2015 14:56

DandelionPowderman
I think all his solos on CYHMK have been excellent so far. They are all a bit different, but always with a homage to Bobby.

I agree 100%. Think his contributions have been great and prefer his playing to Tim Reis actually.

What's Keith playing instead of Bm on Wild Horses - Live Sticky Fingers
Date: July 1, 2015 04:54

It's a lovely chord, is it Bm with something missing?

Over to the guitarist on the panel please ....

Re: What's Keith playing instead of Bm on Wild Horses - Live Sticky Fingers
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: July 1, 2015 05:49

A Bminor in open-G: x-4-4-0-3-0. Nice vibe with that chord; Keith started mining it heavily in '97, with Too Tight and live versions of Wanna Hold You and LSTNT.

Date: July 1, 2015 06:34

Hmm, how to get that sound that in standard tuning ?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:23

Mel Belli
A Bminor in open-G: x-4-4-0-3-0. Nice vibe with that chord; Keith started mining it heavily in '97, with Too Tight and live versions of Wanna Hold You and LSTNT.

That chord is the basis of the main riff of Plundered My Sould from 1971, Tops from 1972, Wild Horses in 1975, and the intro riff to Before They Make Me Run (in the key of E then). And solo it is the main chord of Struggle from 1988 of course.

Mathijs

Date: July 1, 2015 11:26

midimannz
Hmm, how to get that sound that in standard tuning ?

You won't.

Keith is also using a similar minor chord in BTMMR.

EDIT: See Mathijs's post above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 15:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: stoggin ()
Date: July 1, 2015 17:11

I think this is killer. I didn't. Expect this no it sounds like a band hungry for something. It barrels long with real intent. I will listen to this much more thn the marquee show. Or that tedious LA 75 travesty

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 1, 2015 17:19

Is it likely they will issue this as a physical product? I don't want to get caught out like I did with Hyde Park Live.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 1, 2015 17:29

MrThompsonWooft
Is it likely they will issue this as a physical product? I don't want to get caught out like I did with Hyde Park Live.

eye rolling smiley
And ofcourse you still feel lousy because you bought the vinyl Exile in 1972 and did not wait until the 2010 DeLuxe reissue with the extra tracks.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 1, 2015 17:39

MrThompsonWooft

If you really don't want to spend money on this (great) release and want to hear it without illegal downloading:

Take a subscription on Apple Music and stream it.
This service is free for 3 months, just make sure to switch off the auto-renewal button... you can do that straight away, so you don't have to think about it in October.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 1, 2015 17:52

RobertJohnson
Ronnie's solo on CYHMK is very good, without any doubt, but far from excellent or ingenious. Just in such moments one can hear quite well his limitations. ...

Not sure what you were expecting ... I finally gave the album my first listen and love it -- standout for me is CYHMK, they kill the instrumental, especially Ronnie. He nails it perfectly.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:10

BowieStone
MrThompsonWooft

If you really don't want to spend money on this (great) release and want to hear it without illegal downloading:

Take a subscription on Apple Music and stream it.
This service is free for 3 months, just make sure to switch off the auto-renewal button... you can do that straight away, so you don't have to think about it in October.

I just want to buy it on CD.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home