Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 22 of 25
Re: Kansas City MO USA 27-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 29, 2015 05:25

"But it seems like they are actually playing like they have not in some time and that the tour is ending up a huge smash, not just financially, but philosophically as well. if you know what I mean."

Please explain how a Rock tour can be a smash "philosophically". I don't understand that.

This tour is great for their legacy even though they didn't need to prove anything. They make almost every other rock band look weak. And good that they're making lots of $$$, I think they deserve every dollar or Euro they get. The tour IS a smash, but how is it so "philosophically"?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 29, 2015 05:37

Jesse
"But it seems like they are actually playing like they have not in some time and that the tour is ending up a huge smash, not just financially, but philosophically as well. if you know what I mean."

Please explain how a Rock tour can be a smash "philosophically". I don't understand that.

This tour is great for their legacy even though they didn't need to prove anything. They make almost every other rock band look weak. And good that they're making lots of $$$, I think they deserve every dollar or Euro they get. The tour IS a smash, but how is it so "philosophically"?

Possibly referencing this ancient press conference (@ 2:36):

Date: June 29, 2015 05:40

I see.... Thanks.

Posted by: StonesHood ()
Date: June 29, 2015 05:41

Naturalust
Rokyfan
Sounds like Woody has finally broken out of his cliches? He had some tasty licks in Beast, where he could have been and formerly was lazy.

I was definitely skeptical. And there are still some numbers that are just a big snooze to me. But it seems like they are actually playing like they have not in some time and that the tour is ending up a huge smash, not just financially, but philosophically as well. if you know what I mean.

Your thoughts mirror my own. I was skeptical when the tour started but somehow they have managed to play with a ferocity that is both compelling and exciting.

I think its a combination of Ronnie finally coming into his own and Keith playing with confidence and more accuracy. I don't really see that much difference in anybody else's performance. Perhaps Mick is singing a bit better on some of the songs but he hasn't been consistently doing so, imo.

I just have to give the credit to the guitars. Better tone, louder in the mix and never quite the same, obviously a recipe for good Stones music.

I think it's Ronnie being on his 5th year of Sobriety that has made the huge difference. When has this ever happened in His career with the Stones ? Never. And we are not just talking about boozing it up either. Ronnie was a full partying mess in the past but now his clean living is paying off. He is on like never before ! He is an all out focused player now and it makes a huge difference. I don't think he was ever "lazy" , He was just whacked out. But now the Music just gets stronger every show with Him. Go Ronnie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 05:43 by StonesHood.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: June 29, 2015 07:04

Date: June 29, 2015 07:05

Date: June 29, 2015 07:07

25 feet from "Twenty feet From Stardom" ... Lisa & Bernard bringing it smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 07:25 by Snoopy.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 29, 2015 07:59

EasterMan
Dreamer
TheBlockbuster
Naturalust
GS1978
DO NOT listen to the naysayers --- Go see this band before it's too late.

I think the naysayers and skeptics are dropping like flies. Too many consistently good performances at this point.

Not what I thought when listening back to the Milwaukee recording! Honky Tonk Women is an unbelievable mess, no band in ''top form'' should be able to mess it up like that. ''Champagne And Reefer'' was not a fraction of the performance on ''Shine A Light'' movie.

You sure know how to jump on things: two songs were an 'unbelievable mess'...
Well it's nothing new when I say the RS always managed to do that somehow.
Even in 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, or '81, '89, '90, '95...and I'm sure you got some more examples.
Personally I have maybe four songs from yesterday or last week that weren't 100%.
But that's not what this is about. It's about too many consistently good performances and the enthusiasm and stuff like that.

It's not about the number of mistakes. Mistakes always happens, it's about how the mistakes happen. In the past they would always recover from a trainwreck start, in Milwaukee they never recovered,
First: the tempo of the song is set much slower because of Keith's mistake, in the past it would have returned to correct pace,
Second: Keith is playing in the wrong key during his solo, usually he dosen't do that If he flubbed the intro - it should sharpen his mind.
Third: Something odd happens to Charlie's drumming during Chuck's solo.

All in this doesn't look like a band which are firing on all cylinders. Still I must say last night seemed have been a better concert.

video: [www.youtube.com]

No they are firing on all cylinders and then some! AWESOMe!!!!!!!

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 29, 2015 08:35

Watching the video, yes, I hear that the tempo is too slow and Keith's solo sounds a bit off, but during the concert, in that moment, I only noticed the intro flub, and thoroughly enjoyed the performance thereafter. Didn't notice the rest at the time at all.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 29, 2015 08:49

bleedingman
Jesse

Possibly referencing this ancient press conference (@ 2:36):

Of course that was the reference. Tongue in cheek, but making a point which is I am NOT a cheerleader, don't think every show is the best ever, etc. etc. but if they are really going to play, which it seems they are doing, then the tour makes sense to me artistically ( a little license equating that with philosophically, to make the joke work) even given that they are playing exclusively 30 and more year old numbers.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 29, 2015 10:22

Rokyfan
Of course that was the reference. Tongue in cheek, but making a point which is I am NOT a cheerleader,

Rokyfan
Please don't give me a thumbs up and then go on about 'whiners.' When i see that word I cringe. It is a substitute for a thoughtful comment, which is what I tried to do.

As if using the term cheerleader is any better than using the term whiner. You and your buddy's constant double-standard finger wagging accusations are ridiculous.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 29, 2015 10:27

MKjan
Rokyfan
Naturalust
GS1978

I think the naysayers and skeptics are dropping like flies. Too many consistently good performances at this point.

Did anyone post this rave from the KC paper yet?

[www.kansascity.com]

Is anyone else doing anything close to what they are doing, just kicking the shit out of everything? I know the Who is on the road but I don't follow them or too many other bands. F Mac? It's not the same thing is it?

I watched the clip of Beast of Burden and even Sheeran didn't spoil it for me. I don't watch all the clips. Sounds like Woody has finally broken out of his cliches? He had some tasty licks in Beast, where he could have been and formerly was lazy.

I was definitely skeptical. And there are still some numbers that are just a big snooze to me. But it seems like they are actually playing like they have not in some time and that the tour is ending up a huge smash, not just financially, but philosophically as well. if you know what I mean.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up The whiners and naysayers have gone the way of the Mayans.
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up Indeed the skeptical whiners have been proven wrong as can be. The Stones are doing great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 10:27 by relms.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 29, 2015 11:03

StonesHood
Naturalust
Rokyfan
Sounds like Woody has finally broken out of his cliches? He had some tasty licks in Beast, where he could have been and formerly was lazy.

Your thoughts mirror my own. I was skeptical when the tour started but somehow they have managed to play with a ferocity that is both compelling and exciting.

I think its a combination of Ronnie finally coming into his own and Keith playing with confidence and more accuracy. I don't really see that much difference in anybody else's performance. Perhaps Mick is singing a bit better on some of the songs but he hasn't been consistently doing so, imo.

I just have to give the credit to the guitars. Better tone, louder in the mix and never quite the same, obviously a recipe for good Stones music.

I think it's Ronnie being on his 5th year of Sobriety that has made the huge difference. When has this ever happened in His career with the Stones ? Never. And we are not just talking about boozing it up either. Ronnie was a full partying mess in the past but now his clean living is paying off. He is on like never before ! He is an all out focused player now and it makes a huge difference. I don't think he was ever "lazy" , He was just whacked out. But now the Music just gets stronger every show with Him. Go Ronnie.
I agree, but do not agree that Ronnie was a disaster, in some concerts played well (Paradiso Amsterdam is an example), but in other concerts was just OK. Keith now has its own problems with the hands, Ronnie is sober and able to maintain high levels of the Stones. I think Mick is now happy to Ronnie.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 29, 2015 11:33

Naturalust
[The person Mick takes the cellphone from] was probably someone from the crew. A total setup and part of the show,
meticulously executed to draw the audience into the performance. winking smiley

Awww don't say that! Even though I was wondering the same thing in a cynical little corner of my mind
It's hilarious anyway. I love the Rolling Stones

PS: Aha, so it is a crew member, and it goes on the big screen when he does it:
[www.iorr.org]

Edit! Misunderstanding, sorry!

But as I said above: It's hilarious anyway. And I love the Rolling Stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 18:00 by with sssoul.

Date: June 29, 2015 12:42

relms
The Stones are doing great.

Indeed they are. And that's objective enthusiasm.

Someone up there said the singers aren't doing much actual singing -
that can only be someone whose hearing is clogged by negative expectations.
Both Glimmers were singing beautifully in Kansas City. The music was mighty mighty fine!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 29, 2015 13:46

Jesse

Well... It can be sexually and/or financially; so...

smoking smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 29, 2015 14:23

relms
MKjan
Rokyfan
Naturalust
GS1978

Did anyone post this rave from the KC paper yet?

[www.kansascity.com]

Is anyone else doing anything close to what they are doing, just kicking the shit out of everything? I know the Who is on the road but I don't follow them or too many other bands. F Mac? It's not the same thing is it?

I watched the clip of Beast of Burden and even Sheeran didn't spoil it for me. I don't watch all the clips. Sounds like Woody has finally broken out of his cliches? He had some tasty licks in Beast, where he could have been and formerly was lazy.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up The whiners and naysayers have gone the way of the Mayans.
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up Indeed the skeptical whiners have been proven wrong as can be. The Stones are doing great.

Reading these contrasting posts, I find it much, much more interesting though, with the outlook on the band's current achievements stated as an answer to an empirical question than stated as a matter of principle.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 29, 2015 15:48

relms
Rokyfan
Of course that was the reference. Tongue in cheek, but making a point which is I am NOT a cheerleader,

Rokyfan
Please don't give me a thumbs up and then go on about 'whiners.' When i see that word I cringe. It is a substitute for a thoughtful comment, which is what I tried to do.

As if using the term cheerleader is any better than using the term whiner. You and your buddy's constant double-standard finger wagging accusations are ridiculous.

You know what? You are 100% right and I will take that one. Cheerleader is just a dumb word. It stereotypes, just like whiner does, generalizes and loses all meaning. So, good catch.

And generally, I have been enjoying your more recent contributions and feel a little bad I came down on you, not joking for a change. I just hate all kinds of generalizations, whatever the context -- whiner or cheerleader. SHow the mf's they are wrong, that's all don't shout them down with an epithet.

Peace.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 29, 2015 16:21

with sssoul
Naturalust
[The person Mick takes the cellphone from] was probably someone from the crew. A total setup and part of the show,
meticulously executed to draw the audience into the performance. winking smiley

Awww don't say that! Even though I was wondering the same thing in a cynical little corner of my mind
It's hilarious anyway. I love the Rolling Stones

PS: Aha, so it is a crew member, and it goes on the big screen when he does it:
[www.iorr.org]

And as I said above: It's hilarious anyway. And I love the Rolling Stones

The periscope was expired for me so I couldn't see it--you are saying it was clearly a crew member who gave up the phone? You know I didn't think Mick was so spontaneous to do something like that with a random fan, didn't occur to
me that it was a set-up. Thanks, you two. Very funny.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 29, 2015 16:25

NOW I get it, 'I am what I listen to...." or "I am what I play...." Npw Why didn't I see that the first time. smiling smiley

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: June 29, 2015 16:55

Moments before show start......

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: June 29, 2015 17:00

Opening song I believe (SMU).....
(Note: Charlie is looking right at me! Haha)

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 29, 2015 17:34

I saw the video of them playing "Kansas City". That's great! Anyway, it's the kind of song no one from that era has to "learn". All you need to do is call out a key and anyone can play it. They should do more of those. "Route 66" and "Down the Road Apiece" would be the same - they could play them in their sleep and they'd be great.

Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 29, 2015 17:41

Setlist from Kansas City, MO. vintage stones gave me this! Thank you!

-RS

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 18:57 by RS.

Date: June 29, 2015 17:44

angee
The periscope was expired for me so I couldn't see it--you are saying it was clearly a crew member who gave up the phone?
You know I didn't think Mick was so spontaneous to do something like that with a random fan,
didn't occur to me that it was a set-up. Thanks, you two. Very funny.

... You know what, Angee - you made me look back at Dreamer's post (the one I linked to up there)
and I see I was severely undercaffeinated and misunderstood it totally.
I'm now back to knowing nothing - nothing! - about whose phone the Mick is taking,
but it seems ... well, as you say! In any case it's still hilarious and I still love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 29, 2015 17:52

RS

There she is: our IORR reporter of the month!

Do you know that lots of people here are right now listening to the persicope feed you broadcasted? Someone managed to capture it and put it on a wetransfer for everyone available.

[www.iorr.org]

You did a great job with recording that show Mackenzie!
And the rest of your accomplishments indeed are MAGIC.
thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 23:03 by Dreamer.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: June 29, 2015 17:54

StonesHood
Naturalust
Rokyfan

His solo in the 2nd half of Rambler might have been the best solo I've seen him do live during my 10 shows over the last 35 years.

Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 29, 2015 18:09

thumbs up

-RS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 22:05 by RS.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 29, 2015 18:15

RS
Dreamer
RS

Setlist from Kansas City, MO

There she is: our IORR reporter of the month!

Do you know that lots of people here are right now listening to the persicope feed you broadcasted? Someone managed to capture it and put it on a wetransfer for everyone available.

[www.iorr.org]

You did a great job with recording that show Mackenzie!
And the rest of your accomplishments indeed are MAGIC.
thumbs up

Thank you so much!

Thanks again, RS..
Listened to your feed most the night..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 22:58 by MisterDDDD.

Date: June 29, 2015 18:18

cmc
Moments before show start......

Love it

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 22 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home