Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 21 of 25
Re: Kansas City MO USA 27-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:30

maumau
EasterMan

How odd, I thought my 2007 shows was way better than my 2014 shows! But it's a matter of taste I guess.

There are some songs which they play better now than they did on ABB-tour, no doubt about it. I more of meant that in 2007, there were no trainwrecks which were as horrid as the trainwrecks we've seen the last two years.

Yes, it is taste and also fortune, I mean you can be in on a great night or on a bad night
I think it is quite clear from the best quality video that those who attended the KC show were in on a good night
These does not tell anything 100% sure about the next

My speculation on the 2006 and 2007 (and it is a speculation as i did not attend all concerts) noneheless it is based on many videos, the dvd box and stories from fans here and has to do with production. I think from 2012, in their own peculiar and still "grandeuse" way, they scaled down and back to a more direct impact. Gone are the moving platform and the odd seats "on" the stage, I think in some way this difference also can be heard in the music.

A major point of the 2006/2007 is that they played some songs from a new album then winking smiley So that was a sign of a band still "creative". Now we get Doom and Gloom and that's it and though I dont particularly dig the song I am glad Mick keeps it in the set. Also I think they usually play it good

anyway, it ends up really to that; if you get them in an "on" night they are still by far the best rock and roll band in the world

and that is why i love them

cheers

thumbs up

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:31

Everybody seem excited about beast of burden. After taking a look at the performance on YouTube i played somegirls live in Texas while driving my car, and after hearing that superb versión of the song with Ronnie and Keith playing and weaving i got seriously dissapointed about last night show

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:38

KeithNacho
Everybody seem excited about beast of burden. After taking a look at the performance on YouTube i played somegirls live in Texas while driving my car, and after hearing that superb versión of the song with Ronnie and Keith playing and weaving i got seriously dissapointed about last night show

Good on you.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:48

KeithNacho

here it is exactly what i meant in my previous post about tiresome arguing.

oh yes, they were better in 1978 than they are in 2015, in their thirties than in their seventies

unbelievable

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:50

Of 60+ shows I've seen since 75,last night was one of the better ones I've seen in years. They're really coming together as a band. Seriously. SFM was intense!

Chelskeith

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:50

I would like to see that video, I hope the camera got back to the owner and they post the clip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 20:07 by HankM.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:54

KeithNacho

Here's some hyperbole:

NO current day live performance by The Stones of ANY song can stand the test of time to a rendition of that song by The Stones from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and even 90's.

There are of course exceptions. I would argue that "Moonlight Mile" on the current tour might be one. But as a general rule, their drummer is slower, their guitarists less interesting, and their singer ... well, he just doesn't really sing anymore.

The "best show ever" sentiments on this tour are the product of an incredibly long-lived band rolling out a nostalgic catalog of unequalled hits.

And that's OK, that's wonderful. Enjoyment of music is a subjective thing.

But it's almost never better than the band was 15, 20, 30, 40, or 50 years ago.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:59

HankM
I believe the cool 75-80 degreee night, with a nice breeze blowing, helped the band stay cool and fresh and helped make this show be as great as it was.

We also laughed when Mick reached down for the cellphone. Mick grabbed it, pushed the buttons knowing exactly waht he was doing, held it up, took some selfie video, then pointed it towards the stage, then turned around and captured the view of the stadium. In all it seemed like about 10-15 seconde of video, then he tossed the camera back in the general direction of the owner. I would like to see that video, I hope the camera got back to the owner and they post the clip.

It was probably someone from the crew. A total setup and part of the show, meticulously executed to draw the audience into the performance. winking smiley

Date: June 29, 2015 01:08

video: [www.youtube.com]

and oh yes lets take for granted: they played it better in the seventies..

me I rave looking at this like it's f great
because it is

and so it was last night

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 01:18 by maumau.

Date: June 29, 2015 01:19

maumau

To each his own.

"Midnight Rambler" used to be a blues odyssey into the id of a pop culture coming apart at he seams. Now it seems it's a sing-along in which the audience are exhorted to "say oh yeah if they know how to party."

As Sly used to say, different strokes for different folks.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 29, 2015 01:26

LBA 72:s assessment is about right. And it's not age alone that makes the difference. The passion and the ardency has grown weak over the years. Which is understandable.
Especially since they seem to repeat the same songs over and over. The real question is whether it's still good enough. That one is up to everyone to decide for themselves

Date: June 29, 2015 01:29

KeithNacho

I know what you did wrong: you compared them...you're looking for perfection. That doesn't exist. So now you no longer have to look for it and you don't have to bother comparing shows and worry which of the two you have to say you like better to not disappoint Naturalust or Kleermaker or Turner68 or DandelionPowderman or me or whoever. You can simply enjoy them because they're not in competition with each other. Just dive into that periscope feed by RS and enjoy the atmosphere without prejudice. It's worth it!

Date: June 29, 2015 01:32

Stoneage
LBA 72:s assessment is about right. And it's not age alone that makes the difference. The passion and the ardency has grown weak over the years. Which is understandable.
Especially since they seem to repeat the same songs over and over. The real question is whether it's still good enough. That one is up to everyone to decide for themselves

yes that's it as i said
and yes to each his own
in fact I hang around this fan board because i decide that it is still good enough.
probably I won't be looking for periscope of their current shows or be here discussing their performances if I had decided otherwise
probably i would not be around here if listening to midnight rambler brussels 73 would make me sick about midnight rambler kansas city 2015
i am not here because i think they play better now than then
i am here because i still get the kicks out of them most of the time
and i love them for making me feel this way

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 01:40 by maumau.

Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 29, 2015 01:35

Any thoughts of Lisa Fischer's performance last night? I thought it was well done! thumbs up

-RS

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: June 29, 2015 01:42

austrianstones
sarahunwin
Australian Stones - you are next to me in section b!!!

great smiling smiley but btw. we re austrianstones winking smiley

Lol. It was great to meet you AUSTRIANstones and what an incredible show!

Date: June 29, 2015 02:15

Dreamer
KeithNacho

I know what you did wrong: you compared them...you're looking for perfection. That doesn't exist. So now you no longer have to look for it and you don't have to bother comparing shows and worry which of the two you have to say you like better to not disappoint Naturalust or Kleermaker or Turner68 or DandelionPowderman or me or whoever. You can simply enjoy them because they're not in competition with each other. Just dive into that periscope feed by RS and enjoy the atmosphere without prejudice. It's worth it!

Yeah Dreamer you've got it right, although I hope people don't post based on what they think might or might not disappoint others here. Speak from the heart I say.

When people are paying upwards of a couple grand to see a performance they do however have a right to expect to be properly entertained, beyond that not much else.

But with a band that has been playing as long as the Stones and people here who have seen them perform so many times before, comparisons to previous performances of the same songs are natural and harmless, imo. If they were doing a whole new show there would certainly be less of it. They somewhat set themselves up for these kind of comparisons. But what are you really comparing?

The show is a lot more than just the recording and SG Live in Texas has been mixed and mastered, so comparing the audio of last night to the released product of 1978 and saying you are disappointed in the show is not really fair, imho.

Date: June 29, 2015 02:28

LongBeachArena72
maumau

To each his own.

"Midnight Rambler" used to be a blues odyssey into the id of a pop culture coming apart at he seams. Now it seems it's a sing-along in which the audience are exhorted to "say oh yeah if they know how to party."

Different in what way?
And you make it seem like it was more ok or better when it was a blues odyssey...why is that? What's wrong with a sing-along? I guess it's not the same as a couple of Hells Angels beating the sh.t out of someone...being on a trip or an odyssey but what the heck? Still sounds like blues music to me. But maybe because it's not your kind of people that are singing along...are they too happy or something?
Used to be...Did you lose something like a toy?
All those people pretending to be modern and hip and stuff just hang on to incredible old fashioned ideas about what they think is supposed to be good for other people...very conservative actually. And selfish in a way. That's the feeling I get when reading posts like yours.
I mean I don't mind if you would criticize the band but 'different folks' is...I didn't attend the show but I enjoyed the periscope feed and I feel offended by this.
Different folks...
Where are you from?

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: June 29, 2015 02:32

Seems like a great show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 20:05 by HankM.

Date: June 29, 2015 02:41

Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
maumau

To each his own.

Different in what way?
And you make it seem like it was more ok or better when it was a blues odyssey...why is that? What's wrong with a sing-along? I guess it's not the same as a couple of Hells Angels beating the sh.t out of someone...being on a trip or an odyssey but what the heck? Still sounds like blues music to me. But maybe because it's not your kind of people that are singing along...are they too happy or something?
All those people pretending to be modern and hip and stuff just hang on to incredible old fashioned ideas about what they think is supposed to be good for other people...very conservative actually. And selfish in a way. That's the feeling I get when reading posts like yours.
I mean I don't mind if you would criticize the band but 'different folks' is...I didn't attend the show but I enjoyed the periscope feed and I feel offended by this.
Different folks...
Where are you from?

I'm from the island of Los Angeles!

There's nothing nefarious or judgmental about my diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. You know the song, right? Sly and the Family Stone's "Everyday People"? It's all about living and let living. We all get off on different things.

I DO have a perspective that is different from most others on this board and I express it from time to time. It's my opinion. Didn't mean it to seem judgmental. There are a LOT more people who feel like you do about the band than who feel like I do.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: June 29, 2015 02:43

The Stones are playing very well on this tour, it is a fact. I would not do comparisons with their concerts 30 years ago, does not make any sense! Let's enjoy these Stones and god bless them.

Date: June 29, 2015 02:47

LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
maumau

To each his own.

Different in what way?
Different folks...
Where are you from?

There's nothing nefarious or judgmental about my diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. You know the song, right? Sly and the Family Stone's "Everyday People"? It's all about living and let living. We all get off on different things.

I DO have a perspective that is different from most others on this board and I express it from time to time. It's my opinion. Didn't mean it to seem judgmental. There are a LOT more people who feel like you do about the band than who feel like I do.

Why do you mention: does it hurt?
I don't mind when people feel like you do...not at all. I just mind when they suggest what they feel is better...that's the impression I don't like you gave me.

Date: June 29, 2015 02:52

Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
maumau

To each his own.

Different in what way?
Different folks...
Where are you from?

I don't mind when people feel like you do...not at all. I just mind when they suggest what they feel is better...that's the impression I don't like you gave me.

Yes, I do suggest that my opinion is better. But it doesn't mean I'm a better person, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm right!

Date: June 29, 2015 03:06

LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
maumau

To each his own.

Different in what way?
Different folks...
Where are you from?

Yes, I do suggest that my opinion is better. But it doesn't mean I'm a better person, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm right!

Of course: and it's so intellectually superior...you do belong in 1972 and not between audiences in 2015 that "say oh yeah if they know how to party."

Date: June 29, 2015 03:21

Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
Dreamer
LongBeachArena72
maumau

To each his own.

Different in what way?
Different folks...
Where are you from?

Of course: and it's so intellectually superior...you do belong in 1972 and not between audiences in 2015 that "say oh yeah if they know how to party."

I'm not sure how to respond to that so will give you the last word.

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: June 29, 2015 03:33

Tonight's show is the best Stones show ever.
Unless you missed it, then the best show YOU were at was better.

Each show is unique.
Thank JAH they aren't playing MR exactly like they did in 75, or whenever.
Thank goodness they have a bass solo in Miss You now.
And great to have a guest on BOB.
Why Not? If you want a canned product you'll have to try a different band.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:22

Testify
The Stones are playing very well on this tour, it is a fact. I would not do comparisons with their concerts 30 years ago, does not make any sense! Let's enjoy these Stones and god bless them.

+1

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Jesse ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:27

With respect to those who say the Stones are playing a song too slowly or that Mick isn't stressing a word (like "HeartBreaker") the "right" way, I have to ask, how do you know how the band wants to play the song that night? At this point it looks like they're intentionally changing things here and there.

What makes anyone think they know better how to play a song than Mick or the band? I don't understand that kind of criticism. I can't imagine telling a musician how he/she should play a song that they wrote. It's their baby -- and their perogative.

Thanks to everyone who posts photos. They're great! I look forward to following each concert with your photos and what you all have to say.

Looks like the band is having fun again on stage, and at this point that's as much fun to watch as it is fun to listen to them play. I give them sooo much credit for putting themselves out there and still making great music.

THanks for listening to my two cents.

Posted by: catchinem ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:42

People love Rock and Roll. Are there any new Rock and Roll bands these days that can write songs and put on a show like the Stones? Cherish the Stones while we still have them. We are lucky that periscope came along when it did. I am watching The Rolling Stones LIVE twice a week right now! This must be Heaven man!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 29, 2015 04:45

MKjan
Rokyfan
Naturalust
GS1978
DO NOT listen to the naysayers --- Go see this band before it's too late.

I think the naysayers and skeptics are dropping like flies. Too many consistently good performances at this point.

Did anyone post this rave from the KC paper yet?

[www.kansascity.com]

Is anyone else doing anything close to what they are doing, just kicking the shit out of everything? I know the Who is on the road but I don't follow them or too many other bands. F Mac? It's not the same thing is it?

I watched the clip of Beast of Burden and even Sheeran didn't spoil it for me. I don't watch all the clips. Sounds like Woody has finally broken out of his cliches? He had some tasty licks in Beast, where he could have been and formerly was lazy.

I was definitely skeptical. And there are still some numbers that are just a big snooze to me. But it seems like they are actually playing like they have not in some time and that the tour is ending up a huge smash, not just financially, but philosophically as well. if you know what I mean.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up The whiners and naysayers have gone the way of the Mayans.

Please don't give me a thumbs up and then go on about 'whiners.' When i see that word I cringe. It is a substitute for a thoughtful comment, which is what I tried to do. Say why you disagree with someone, if you can. It's harder than simply calling someone a whiner, but it actually has meaning.

Natural's word was "skeptic." Not whiner. It's the difference between an adult conversation and a childish rant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 04:47 by Rokyfan.

Date: June 29, 2015 05:16

Rokyfan
Sounds like Woody has finally broken out of his cliches? He had some tasty licks in Beast, where he could have been and formerly was lazy.

I was definitely skeptical. And there are still some numbers that are just a big snooze to me. But it seems like they are actually playing like they have not in some time and that the tour is ending up a huge smash, not just financially, but philosophically as well. if you know what I mean.

Your thoughts mirror my own. I was skeptical when the tour started but somehow they have managed to play with a ferocity that is both compelling and exciting.

I think its a combination of Ronnie finally coming into his own and Keith playing with confidence and more accuracy. I don't really see that much difference in anybody else's performance. Perhaps Mick is singing a bit better on some of the songs but he hasn't been consistently doing so, imo.

I just have to give the credit to the guitars. Better tone, louder in the mix and never quite the same, obviously a recipe for good Stones music.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425Next
Current Page: 21 of 25

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home