Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26
Re: Turner68: I've never forgiven Bill Wyman for leaving
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:51

I never forgave Dick Taylor for leaving!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:54

Deltics
I never forgave Dick Taylor for leaving!

I never forgave Ronnie for staying !!
Only kidding

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:55

Or Carlo Little!

Date: August 6, 2015 00:56

Come to think of it i never forgave any of them for not turning up for my 50th birthday bash sad smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 6, 2015 01:19

There would have been more to forgive had he stayed.

Wyman's time had come and it would have been to the detriment of all concerned had he betrayed his intuition and remained with the band.

There is a telling incident in Live at the Max that foreshadowed Wyman's departure. During 'Street Fighting Man' there is a moment, seen at 0:47 in the video on the band's YouTube Channel, when Wyman is grimacing at playing; exerting himself in a way that suggests he is not enjoying himself as much as he would like to.

Let the man be; there is nothing to forgive. Besides, without his exit, the band may not have reached their decade-long peak as a live act which began the year following his departure. Wyman and Jones are undoubtedly different players, but the latter is the perfect bass player for The Rolling Stones.

Olly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 01:21

Olly

Wyman's time had come and it would have been to the detriment of all concerned had he betrayed his intuition and remained with the band.

There is a telling incident in Live at the Max that foreshadowed Wyman's departure. During 'Street Fighting Man' there is a moment, seen at 0:47 in the video on the band's YouTube Channel, when Wyman is grimacing at playing; exerting himself in a way that suggests he is not enjoying himself as much as he would like to.

Let the man be; there is nothing to forgive. Besides, without his exit, the band may not have reached their decade-long peak as a live act which began the year following his departure. Wyman and Jones are undoubtedly different players, but the latter is the perfect bass player for The Rolling Stones.

if you are in close touch with people in the wyman camp (naturalist knows what i mean) and are saying he wants us to let him be, i will. i think he secretly enjoys knowing that he is missed however.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2015 01:27

During 'Street Fighting Man' there is a moment, seen at 0:47 in the video on the band's YouTube Channel, when Wyman is grimacing at playing; exerting himself in a way that suggests he is not enjoying himself as much as he would like to.

Awwww come on Olly .. ya better not start studying the faces of guitar players when they're working

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 6, 2015 01:28

Olly

Olly if the grimace you are referring to is the one at 0:59 in the video below, I think you may be totally misinterpreting Bills expression. It actually looks to me as it he is actually getting into his own playing there at the start of the phrase in way that is quite characteristic of many rock guitarists (like Joe Walsh or even Ronnie). Not a common sight for Bill, of course, but it seems to me like just the opposite of what you describe.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 6, 2015 01:32

yes. bill has always grimaced.

Posted by: latebloomer ()

It was probably just indigestion....

Olly

Agreed Olly
BTW i didn't get a chance to return your post on the deleted thread the other night.
Hope you did not think i was ignoring you. Also you never had a chance to say what academic institutions you worked in. Forget who raised the question.
Its just interesting .
Please don't feel obliged to answer if you feel uneasy about it.

Date: August 6, 2015 01:34

Naturalust

Olly if the grimace you are referring to is the one at 0:59 in the video below, I think you may be totally misinterpreting Bills expression. It actually looks to me as it he is actually getting into his own playing there at the start of the phrase in way that is quite characteristic of many rock guitarists (like Joe Walsh or even Ronnie). Not a common sight for Bill, of course, but it seems to me like just the opposite of what you describe.

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, that's the one Naturalust. You may be right and the moment's singular nature may be the reason it stands out to me.

Can we agree that Wyman made a wise decision to leave the band when he did?

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 01:37 by Olly.

Date: August 6, 2015 01:37

Olly
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, that's the one Naturalust. You may be right and the monent's singular nature may be the reason it stands out to me.

it's possible he left the band because they kept doing weird stuff like instead of cutting the clips of him grimacing, they put the grimace clips in IMAX movies in theaters around the world....

Date: August 6, 2015 01:38

Olly
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, that's the one Naturalust. You may be right and the monent's singular nature may be the reason it stands out to me.

Keith said the reason Bill left was because he refused to fly any more. He kept travelling from state to state, city to city by other means.

Date: August 6, 2015 01:39

keefriffhards
Olly
Naturalust

Keith said the reason Bill left was because he refused to fly any more. He kept travelling from state to state, city to city by other means.

that's a very keith thing for keith to say... you know what i mean?

Date: August 6, 2015 01:42

yes i know what you mean lol

Date: August 6, 2015 01:46

keefriffhards
yes i know what you mean lol

if you look back at the old, old stones interviews (early and mid 60s) you can see keith just sitting there, saying nothing, and you can tell he's thinking "these are the dumbest questions i've ever heard, i can't believe this is what the press corps wants to ask us"

then he starts to say funny things, almost beatles style, making everyone laugh but also making fun of the stupid question.

my point is i think that when keith says stuff like that, and i include the latest quote about sgt pepper, it's kind of with a wink at the world of music fans and a knowing glance that says " ha ha these idiots will print anything i say, aren't they silly?". there's no doubt in my mind that the snorting his dad's ashes was a similar deal - he probably just wanted to see if someone would be crazy enough to print something like that.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 6, 2015 01:48

Olly

Probably not Olly. I sure wish he had stayed from a purely selfish musical perspective. I think he could have hung in there and gained considerable financial reward as well. They have really developed the business since he left, I can't imagine playing bass for the Rolling Stones would be so difficult to endure considering the benefits. I also think if he would have stuck it out he would really enjoy the current more sober band.

But the real question is did he think he made a wise decision. He says so but I also get the feeling he misses the adoration and excitement of touring with the Stones and is a bit too proud to ever discuss it with brutal honesty.

Re: Turner68: I've never forgiven Bill Wyman for leaving, either
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2015 01:51

he misses the adoration and excitement of touring with the Stones and is a bit too proud to ever discuss it with brutal honesty.

YEP!!! ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2015 01:51

keefriffhards

Agreed Olly
BTW i didn't get a chance to return your post on the deleted thread the other night.
Hope you did not think i was ignoring you. Also you never had a chance to say what academic institutions you worked in. Forget who raised the question.
Its just interesting .
Please don't feel obliged to answer if you feel uneasy about it.

No problem, keefriffhards.

That post probably came across in the wrong light. For some reason I was slightly annoyed by some of the content of the discussion pertaining to 'the other place' and one comment in particular made over at 'the other place'. I only meant to say that of course nobody knows anybody on a site like this, and that anonymity can be both refreshing and infuriating.

It will be off topic, but to answer your question: I'm in my twenties so haven't worked at a huge number of Universities. I have been fortunate enough to work at the University of Cambridge in the past and to have been affiliated with several other Russell Group Universities, either as student or employee.

Apologies for posting off topic; I enjoyed the thread you started that encouraged members to get to know one-another more and this belongs there if anywhere at all.

Olly.

Date: August 6, 2015 01:55

That's cool Olly. Thanks

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 02:01

Olly, it's a shame that you haven't appreciated Bill's bass playing throughout the recordings. I highlight the Hampton 1981 concert as one example. I hope one day you give him his dues, I know he's not as exciting as Darryl Jones or technically as able but that isn't the be all and end all, it's about understanding the music and the mood, and Bill did that just fine.

Date: August 6, 2015 02:06

Naturalust
Olly

Probably not Olly. I sure wish he had stayed from a purely selfish musical perspective. I think he could have hung in there and gained considerable financial reward as well. They have really developed the business since he left, I can't imagine playing bass for the Rolling Stones would be so difficult to endure considering the benefits. I also think if he would have stuck it out he would really enjoy the current more sober band.

But the real question is did he think he made a wise decision. He says so but I also get the feeling he misses the adoration and excitement of touring with the Stones and is a bit too proud to ever discuss it with brutal honesty.

Yes, it's hard for me to imagine Wyman on the more recent Stones tours; perhaps because of his relatively advanced years and his general stage presence.

Regardless of Wyman's playing style or whether he was right to depart, I have to smile at the image of Wyman playing, stony-faced and sincere, with Jagger, downstage left, viciously attacking that grotesque inflatable beast's genitals during 'Street Fighting Man'... I suppose this image summarises one of the many polarities that characterise the band.

Olly.

Date: August 6, 2015 02:08

keefriffhards

Yes, good point. This must've had an impact on the band dynamic.

Olly.

Date: August 6, 2015 02:17

Olly
keefriffhards

I can see why that other site peed you off a bit.
I just has a look and they think i am a moron.
well their right about something lol

Date: August 6, 2015 02:19

Rollin92
Olly, it's a shame that you haven't appreciated Bill's bass playing throughout the recordings. I highlight the Hampton 1981 concert as one example. I hope one day you give him his dues, I know he's not as exciting as Darryl Jones or technically as able but that isn't the be all and end all, it's about understanding the music and the mood, and Bill did that just fine.

Rollin92, I absolutely appreciate Wyman's bass playing, both on record and in concert.

I don't think Wyman has anything to be forgiven for in leaving, and in my opinion the Stones underwent something of a revival as a live act following his departure.

I've no criticism of Wyman's performance whilst he was in the band, but I feel Jones is probably a better fit for the band as it currently exists.

Olly.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 6, 2015 02:25

Olly
keefriffhards

I imagine that Bill's alternate travel plans are greatly exaggerated by Keith.

And how would it have an impact on band dynamics anyway? Keith and Bill barely spoke to each other for decades, and I don't think The Glimmers were spending any time together really... unless you believe they're "thick as thieves" ...surely another gross exaggeration.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 6, 2015 02:26

Rollin92

I'm pretty sure Olly was referring to the Vegas Stones...that's the one for which Darryl is perfect.

Date: August 6, 2015 02:26

keefriffhards
Olly
keefriffhards

I can see why that other site peed you off a bit.
I just has a look and they think i am a moron.
well their right about something lol

And I was referred to as 'dense', so that makes two of us!

Olly.

Date: August 6, 2015 02:31

SweetThing

I imagine that Bill's alternate travel plans are greatly exaggerated by Keith.

And how would it have an impact on band dynamics anyway? Keith and Bill barely spoke to each other for decades, and I don't think The Glimmers were spending any time together really... unless you believe they're "thick as thieves" ...surely another gross exaggeration.

Only in as much as I guess it will have ruffled a few feathers. I can only imagine the look on Richards' face when Wyman announced he was no longer keen on flying.

Olly.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home