Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26
Re: Bill Wyman: The Stones Never Forgave Me For Leaving
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 4, 2015 15:45

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
LOL You guys are taking yourselves a bit too seriously to be suggesting that people reading the forum, new member or not, can't think for themselves when it comes to believing what they read. There are so many conflicting opinions on this thread alone anyone with a brain is going to figure out pretty quickly that no one knows what the hell they are talking about. grinning smiley

I agree, and I think musicians-guitarists in particular - have an ego/opinion that is boosted by their hero/heroes, be it Keith,Taylor, Wood, Jones or whomever. People that don't play an instrument often just follow their intuition, and of course age is a factor. People that grew up during Jones or Taylor years favour that music very often, while people born around the late 6-tees/early 7-tees often prefer the Wood years. Ive never seen any statistics though.

The latter 'fact' you state, is indeed doubtful, but if so it's often a matter of ignorance. There a quite some important examples here (f.i. our own Doxa) who only later discovered the history of the band before 'their time' and whose opinions changed. We 'oldies' were living witnesses of the decline of the band after Taylor left, because for the same money (as we say it here) we could have react by saying: Well, Taylor left and Wood has improved the band enormously. But we didn't. On the other hand we didn't say the band became obviously worse after Brian was fired.

well I certainly didn't 'witness' the jones or taylor years first hand and while I love Ronnie I don't think you can deny that the season of Taylor was the band at it's absolute pinnacle.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:26

treaclefingers
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
LOL You guys are taking yourselves a bit too seriously to be suggesting that people reading the forum, new member or not, can't think for themselves when it comes to believing what they read. There are so many conflicting opinions on this thread alone anyone with a brain is going to figure out pretty quickly that no one knows what the hell they are talking about. grinning smiley

I agree, and I think musicians-guitarists in particular - have an ego/opinion that is boosted by their hero/heroes, be it Keith,Taylor, Wood, Jones or whomever. People that don't play an instrument often just follow their intuition, and of course age is a factor. People that grew up during Jones or Taylor years favour that music very often, while people born around the late 6-tees/early 7-tees often prefer the Wood years. Ive never seen any statistics though.

The latter 'fact' you state, is indeed doubtful, but if so it's often a matter of ignorance. There a quite some important examples here (f.i. our own Doxa) who only later discovered the history of the band before 'their time' and whose opinions changed. We 'oldies' were living witnesses of the decline of the band after Taylor left, because for the same money (as we say it here) we could have react by saying: Well, Taylor left and Wood has improved the band enormously. But we didn't. On the other hand we didn't say the band became obviously worse after Brian was fired.

well I certainly didn't 'witness' the jones or taylor years first hand and while I love Ronnie I don't think you can deny that the season of Taylor was the band at it's absolute pinnacle.
Agree, but remember that two of the best LP's, BB and LIB, were basically done without MT and BJ.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:40

Sway65
The secret to Bill's success with women is in how he treats them?
I'm always nice to women and I haven't been laid in six months smiling smiley

Sorry to take it off topic, people. Great post and great responses.

it only works if you're a rock star Sway 65 :-)

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:46

unbelievable.
a couple of days ago Bill wrote JJF. now Mick Taylor wrote JJF.
just now i read Mick wanted to fire Keith Richards .
How can i put this without upsetting anyone.
its difficult.
sod it im coming right out with it.
Mick and Keith are the Rolling Stones. they wrote the music.
Ronnie wood was completely useless between 81' to 2005' arguably not completely great again until 2012 when he finally was playing straight all the time.
Keith was terrible in 2007. outside of that he has always been great, but to different levels. when he is 'on' the band are ON.
Keith wobbled in 2012 and 2013 but is finally back.
Mick does not have the voice he had in the 60's and 70's but makes up for it with a 2 hour aerobic work out twice a week in front of 40 thousand people.
Mick Taylor was, and is, the most underestimated guitar player in the world.
but, and its a big but, he left the stones, not the other way around.
he has not been a band member for 40 years. its a great shame he left because when he was in the band they were beyond words.
Bill is BIll. as solid as you can get, but once again HE left the band. not the other way around.
Ok thanks, now im off for a bit. cheers and gone

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:47

mtaylor
treaclefingers
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Naturalust

Agree, but remember that two of the best LP's, BB and LIB, were basically done without MT and BJ.

Yes there is a certain tendency to credit Taylor and Jimmy Miller a bit too much for the amazing success of the Stones during that period. Both have stated, directly and in roundabout ways, that they just happened to get on board when Mick and Keith were at the zenith of their song writing and studio recording powers. I believe Mick and Keith deserve most of the credit.

But...Taylors playing certainly was excellent, his live performances truly exciting, and since it changed after he left, it's easy to hear the importance what he brought to the table. But without the killer songs, none of it would have been possible. Could Taylor have saved Dirty Work? Probably not.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:50

Naturalust
mtaylor
treaclefingers
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
Naturalust

Yes there is a certain tendency to credit Taylor and Jimmy Miller a bit too much for the amazing success of the Stones during that period. Both have stated, directly and in roundabout ways, that they just happened to get on board when Mick and Keith were at the zenith of their song writing and studio recording powers. I believe Mick and Keith deserve most of the credit.

But...Taylors playing certainly was excellent, his live performances truly exciting, and since it changed after he left, it's easy to hear the importance what he brought to the table. But without the killer songs, none of it would have been possible. Could Taylor have saved Dirty Work? Probably not.

At least we would have tons of much better live DVD's et cetera. Taylor was at his best (could be at his best) on stage.

Date: July 4, 2015 19:01

kleermaker
At least we would have tons of much better live DVD's et cetera. Taylor was at his best (could be at his best) on stage.

Indeed and it's even possibly that Taylor might have developed his songwriting a bit more, especially with Mick, and we would have extended the golden period considerably. At the least he could have been a catalyst for Mick and Keith and kept things more rooted in the blues. Even if songs like Miss You were written, I can actually hear Taylor kicking ass on them and keeping them rocking. How could he not? grinning smiley

Date: July 4, 2015 19:09

kleermaker

i agree.

and i think the the trends of the late 70s would have led him to tighten up his playing a bit (just as the trends of the early 70s made it 'hip' to noodle interminably).

for example, on a song like respectable, or before they make me run, a restrained taylor with a blistering solo and killer licks would have been amazing.

it's a shame he quit. but i do trust that it was the best thing for him at the time. addiction is a horrible beast.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 4, 2015 19:19

Naturalust
kleermaker

Indeed and it's even possibly that Taylor might have developed his songwriting a bit more, especially with Mick, and we would have extended the golden period considerably. At the least he could have been a catalyst for Mick and Keith and kept things more rooted in the blues. Even if songs like Miss You were written, I can actually hear Taylor kicking ass on them and keeping them rocking. How could he not? grinning smiley

Indeed, and as for the Dirty Work thing, let's remember that the early 1980s were a great period for Taylor, musically. He'd just released his solo record, he toured with Alvin Lee, with the reunited Bluesbreakers and then worked with Dylan. His playing was flat-out extraordinary throughout - he was revisiting his roots whilst incorporating his Beck/fusion influences. Those solos on Real Live and on Jamming With The Blues Greats inspired me to play guitar again when I'd all but given up. So, yes, he would have added a great deal to the Stones around then.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: July 4, 2015 20:31

24FPS
blivet
Sometimes I wonder how the Stones managed to produce such great music when the principals don't seem to have anything like a good understanding of what made it great. There's wanting to replace Bill with "a black bass player" in 1970 or whenever it was...

Ah, the infamous 'Busta Cherry'. Since deceased I believe.

I didn't know they had a specific person in mind at the time. The little I've read about the wish to replace Bill only referred to a generic black bass player, which did strike me as a bit odd.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 4, 2015 21:39

keefriffhards
unbelievable.
its difficult.
Ronnie wood was completely useless between 81' to 2005' arguably not completely great again until 2012 when he finally was playing straight all the time.
Keith was terrible in 2007. outside of that he has always been great, but to different levels. when he is 'on' the band are ON.
Mick does not have the voice he had in the 60's and 70's but makes up for it with a 2 hour aerobic work out twice a week in front of 40 thousand people.
he has not been a band member for 40 years. its a great shame he left because when he was in the band they were beyond words.
Bill is BIll. as solid as you can get, but once again HE left the band. not the other way around.

smileys with beer
I think there should be un updated Godwin law for this forum: any discussion on the IORR forum sooner or later will end up being about Mick Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 21:40 by matxil.

Date: July 4, 2015 21:47

blivet
24FPS
blivet
Sometimes I wonder how the Stones managed to produce such great music when the principals don't seem to have anything like a good understanding of what made it great. There's wanting to replace Bill with "a black bass player" in 1970 or whenever it was...

I didn't know they had a specific person in mind at the time. The little I've read about the wish to replace Bill only referred to a generic black bass player, which did strike me as a bit odd.

doesn't that make you suspicious of the story?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 4, 2015 21:55

blivet
24FPS
blivet

He's a little sketchy, info wise, but Busta allegedly played briefly with the Gang of Four, and left to play with the Rolling Stones. ( I have no idea what songs he might have appeared on.) I do remember in the late 70s, early 80s, Bill had mentioned something about leaving, and Keith had responded that maybe they'd try another kind of bass player, like Busta Cherry Jones. He also recorded with Talking Heads, and Chris Jagger. From what I can find it appeared he died in Memphis in 1995. Here's some rare footage of Busta with the Seclusions:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 4, 2015 22:01

24FPS
blivet
24FPS
blivet

He's a little sketchy, info wise, but Busta allegedly played briefly with the Gang of Four, and left to play with the Rolling Stones. ( I have no idea what songs he might have appeared on.) I do remember in the late 70s, early 80s, Bill had mentioned something about leaving, and Keith had responded that maybe they'd try another kind of bass player, like Busta Cherry Jones. He also recorded with Talking Heads, and Chris Jagger. From what I can find it appeared he died in Memphis in 1995. Here's some rare footage of Busta with the Seclusions:

[youtu.be]

I'm not dismissing this, but at first glance it appears the stuff of wild exaggeration; of conspiracy theory.

Is there any truth in this?

Olly.

Date: July 4, 2015 22:19

Olly
24FPS
blivet
24FPS
blivet

[youtu.be]

I'm not dismissing this, but at first glance it appears the stuff of wild exaggeration; of conspiracy theory.

Is there any truth in this?

There are many quotes that this fellow left to play with the Rolling Stones but I've never heard any recordings or add'l stories of that ever happening. I think it could have been interesting actually and the guy could sing too!

The quote of Mick telling someone (Taylor?) that he wanted to replace Bill with a black bass player seems a bit more probable. As least I remember thinking it could have been something Mick said at one time. I wondering if Mick thought a black player would look better with the band or if he thought it would give the rhythm section some blues/roots credibility or he was just wanting someone as opposite to Wyman as possible when he was angry will Bill for some reason.

I think all we know for sure is that it never happened and we got Bill over another decade.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 4, 2015 22:42

He would not have left if given credit. As for liking the era one grew up with,
I was 12 when Taylor left and my highschool and college years
were the Woody years
I still preferred everything pre Woody as
their can be no debate that the Stones golden era was
67-74.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:01

keefriffhards
unbelievable.
its difficult.

Who said Bill wrote JJF? You said that. Cheers.

Date: July 5, 2015 00:04

Redhotcarpet
keefriffhards
unbelievable.
its difficult.

Who said Bill wrote JJF? You said that. Cheers.

i believe you said that he should have gotten a writing credit for it.

by the way redhotcarpet you seem to have a history of trying to re-write history... i notice that you posted on here that "taylor's" HTW intro riff was his "ticket into the stones", until Mathijs shot you down and pointed out he had nothing to do with it. [www.iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 00:31 by Turner68.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:17

Keith"s head injury and arthritis have
devastated his playing at times, but he
has been very good this tour. Agree RW
stepped up big on 2012 and is
playing almost as well as in 78.
Mick T was and remains brilliant and it is
a terrible thing to not have been included
on this tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 05:00 by Brstonesfan.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:18

<<their can be no debate that the Stones golden era was
67-74.
>>

Except for those who favor 64-66.

67? Golden? Bright yellow maybe (as in Dandelion), but golden? Sing This And See What Happens golden? Something Happened To Me Yesterday golden?

As a musical unit, the original 6 (yes, including Stu) version of the Stones was never tighter and more symbiotically balanced than in the 1964 to 1965 period. Have a listen to the full stereo live at Camden from 1964, by which time they had truly mastered the R&B genre and were becoming a garage rock prototype, then busting the limits into proto-punk territory with their raucous version of She Said Yeah.

In those days they were writing the book that was helping to define the stuff of modern rock bands. By 1968 and 1969, though their songwriting was flourishing, in terms of musical style they were beginning to follow rather than lead the pack, adopting the country rock style that had been formulated earlier by the Byrds et al, and, most notably, in the seventies with the funkadelic sounds of Fingerprint File and Jagger's aping of the glam-rock fashion.

They were never more ahead of the game than in 1965.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:39

Redhotcarpet
To whom? I dont know if Keith really came up with the dance little sister riff but im gonna say he did. I could be wrong but i will not be responsible for misleading anybody. You who read this be aware i could be wrong.

That's the point, you were stating opinions as if they were known facts.

Date: July 5, 2015 02:12

There are very few known facts but if the sorces say somebody else but keith or mick came up with/wrote something we mustbe dceptical and asume it's a lie. Keith on the other hand dreams riffs (like macca) and saw muddy paint a ceiling.

Date: July 5, 2015 02:26

Redhotcarpet
There are very few known facts but if the sorces say somebody else but keith or mick came up with/wrote something we mustbe dceptical and asume it's a lie. Keith on the other hand dreams riffs (like macca) and saw muddy paint a ceiling.

Give it a rest. Your full of it. Why cant you just admit your wrong. You got to keep coming back like a petulant child..
Sources say this and sources say that. just enjoy the music.
everything is a conspiracy if you want it to be.. you keep finding anything you can to make the reality what you want it to be. Not what it actually is..

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 5, 2015 02:41

Redhotcarpet

Why must we?

Olly.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 5, 2015 05:15

SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
Bill wanted to fire Mick.

Jagger was upset he couldn't fire Keith... according to Mick Taylor.

Someone wanted to fire Ronnie in the 80s - but I don't recall where that really originated = though the 2nd part of that claim was the dreadful notion of replacing him (temporarily?) with George Thorogood.

Mick fired them all when he did his solo album and went on to tour Japan and Australia. Here are two setlists from that tour. Heavy on Stones tunes....Because like I said, he sacked all their worthless, drunk, druggy asses!!!!hot smiley And brought in some real pros. Steve Morse would have been stellar lead guitar on that tour. Can you imagine! With Joe Satriani!

880322A 22nd March: MICK JAGGER. Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome/Kurakuen Stadium
(Honky Tonk Women/Throwaway/Bitch/Let’s Spend The Night Together/
Beast Of Burden/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Ruby Tuesday/Just Another
Night/War Baby/Harlem Shuffle/Say You Will/Party Doll/Band
introduction/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Radio Control/
Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Jumping
Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

880927C 27th September: MICK JAGGER. Sydney, Australia, Entertainment Center
(Throwaway/Just Another Night/Lonely At The Top/Honky Tonk
Women/Miss You/Tumbling Dice/Radio Control/Ruby Tuesday/Can’t
You Hear Me Knocking/Harlem Shuffle/Lucky In Love/Primitive
Cool/War Baby/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Band
introduction/One Hit/Foxy Lady/Party Doll/Wild Colonial Boy/
Bitch/Rip This Joint/Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/It’s Only Rock’n
Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 05:17 by triceratops.

Date: July 5, 2015 07:12

triceratops
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
Bill wanted to fire Mick.

Jagger was upset he couldn't fire Keith... according to Mick Taylor.

Someone wanted to fire Ronnie in the 80s - but I don't recall where that really originated = though the 2nd part of that claim was the dreadful notion of replacing him (temporarily?) with George Thorogood.

Mick fired them all when he did his solo album and went on to tour Japan and Australia. Here are two setlists from that tour. Heavy on Stones tunes....Because like I said, he sacked all their worthless, drunk, druggy asses!!!!hot smiley And brought in some real pros. Steve Morse would have been stellar lead guitar on that tour. Can you imagine! With Joe Satriani!

880322A 22nd March: MICK JAGGER. Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome/Kurakuen Stadium
(Honky Tonk Women/Throwaway/Bitch/Let’s Spend The Night Together/
Beast Of Burden/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Ruby Tuesday/Just Another
Night/War Baby/Harlem Shuffle/Say You Will/Party Doll/Band
introduction/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Radio Control/
Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Jumping
Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

880927C 27th September: MICK JAGGER. Sydney, Australia, Entertainment Center
(Throwaway/Just Another Night/Lonely At The Top/Honky Tonk
Women/Miss You/Tumbling Dice/Radio Control/Ruby Tuesday/Can’t
You Hear Me Knocking/Harlem Shuffle/Lucky In Love/Primitive
Cool/War Baby/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Band
introduction/One Hit/Foxy Lady/Party Doll/Wild Colonial Boy/
Bitch/Rip This Joint/Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/It’s Only Rock’n
Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

point well made :-)

Date: July 5, 2015 11:31

Redhotcarpet you have said in the past that Keith went back to heroin, some time in the late 90's.
The only reference to that statement that i can remember was when Keith said in an interview that he tried heroin again ( a taste ) but did not like it any more.
I think he said at the time that modern drugs these days are not anything like as good as the old days. I would imagine it was just Keith trying to sound the rebel. I doubt there is much truth to it. you do love to sensationalize things..
If Keith has stated anything else, can you reference where you got your information..
Otherwise i will assume that you dreamt it..

Date: July 5, 2015 11:54

keefriffhards
Redhotcarpet you have said in the past that Keith went back to heroin, some time in the late 90's.
The only reference to that statement that i can remember was when Keith said in an interview that he tried heroin again ( a taste ) but did not like it any more.
I think he said at the time that modern drugs these days are not anything like as good as the old days. I would imagine it was just Keith trying to sound the rebel. I doubt there is much truth to it. you do love to sensationalize things..
If Keith has stated anything else, can you reference where you got your information..
Otherwise i will assume that you dreamt it..

Thats you for correcting me. There was an interview, and there's Bockris book as sources. Did I say he went back on heroin never to wait? No I did not. What I said was and I will correct myself, was or is, that most addicts who relapse don't just take one sniff. Maybe he did that. One sniff. But it doesn't sound right. He said in 1977 he had on been on heroin for four years. That was legal talk because of the prob. from 1973. He also said Anita didn't know about his addiction. And that he could sweat it out on stage. And that the black box cured him. Etc. He says a lot of things and I assume, I don't know, but I assume that the one sniff only relapse was the politician Keith. I also can imagine that the "reports of him dabbling" - Bockris - suggests more than one sniff. Dandie knows more (some bass player who was on smack, same recording studio or something like that).

Thank you again for correcting me, you're right. I imagine things and make up as I go.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 5, 2015 11:59

stonehearted
Have a listen to the full stereo live at Camden from 1964

Hi Stonehearted,
I think I'd love to do that.
Is it available for downlad, somehow/ somewhere?
I didn't find it in the 'Hot Stuff'-section...
If anybody can help me with it: highly appreciated, much obliged!
It was a Swingin' Pig release originally, wasn't it?)

EDIT: sorry, must have been miles away... Off course you're refering to these BBC sessions, released with the GRRR! 'superdeluxe' (or whatever)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 15:45 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: July 5, 2015 11:59

keefriffhards
Redhotcarpet

Give it a rest. Your full of it. Why cant you just admit your wrong. You got to keep coming back like a petulant child..
Sources say this and sources say that. just enjoy the music.
everything is a conspiracy if you want it to be.. you keep finding anything you can to make the reality what you want it to be. Not what it actually is..

It's not forbidden to analyze, speculate, suggest and discuss how songs evolve. And no I don't believe in any kind of conspiracies. Some guy in band playing a riff on a keyboard is not a conspiracy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home