Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 24 of 26
Re: Bill Wyman: The Stones Never Forgave Me For Leaving
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 3, 2015 17:28

Rollin92
Munichhilton
Jaco was great, but he couldn't keep up with Neil Peart...

No one comes close to Jack Bruce in my opinion.

Chris Squire (RIP) and John Paul Jones are two that always did it for me.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 3, 2015 17:31

Naturalust
Rollin92
Munichhilton
Jaco was great, but he couldn't keep up with Neil Peart...

No one comes close to Jack Bruce in my opinion.

Chris Squire (RIP) and John Paul Jones are two that always did it for me.

JPJ is highly overlooked...it seems even by his surviving band mates
He was fantastic...

I like Geddy Lee's style more though

Date: August 3, 2015 17:40

Munichhilton

He was fantastic...

JPJ still is fantastic. Get your tenses right man. His solo shows are few years back were a real treat, the man can play anything with strings.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: August 3, 2015 18:13

What a sad way to treat Bill Wyman. What happened in the past, stays in the past. Besides, Bill decided to leave the stones for personal reasons and they have to respect that. moody smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 3, 2015 19:04

alexisjagger
Bill decided to leave the stones for personal reasons and they have to respect that.

...but there is said you only leave the Stones in a box.

Date: August 3, 2015 19:05

Naturalust
Munichhilton

He was fantastic...

JPJ still is fantastic. Get your tenses right man. His solo shows are few years back were a real treat, the man can play anything with strings.

He's still alive? Page thought he was dead!

Date: August 3, 2015 19:37

Munichhilton
Naturalust
Munichhilton

He was fantastic...

He's still alive? Page thought he was dead!

He still thinks Led Zeppelin is alive.

Check out some of JPJ's stuff up on you tube. The guy is a blast.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 4, 2015 04:26

Just check out the Them Crooked Vultures CD with Josh Homme and Dave Grohl if you want to see recent John Paul Jones.

Date: August 4, 2015 04:41

HMS
Darryl adds fine groove to their stage performances. The only time I saw Bill with the Stones was in 1990. I have to say, I like the following tours better. Not really because of Darryl´s presence of course, but he does a good job and is no copycat. Although he could easily adopt Bill´s style within three days - maybe even three hours.

Of course I don't think the band should have quit because Bill left. But they could have replaced him with a rock bassist who could add something to the music. What kind of guitarist would you replace Keith Richards with if he left the Stones? I don't think Bill was at his best on the 89/90 tour. There were too many distractions in his life and the Stones had moved from five guys, a horn player and a piano to a damn broadway show up there. They didn't even have back up singers before 1989.

Whatever Darryl is doing up there it is not memorable. It's emotionally dry. The bass moved from a primary instrument in the Stones sound, to just a side instrument, keeping time. He may be fantastic with Miles Davis, but he's just there with what was once the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: August 4, 2015 07:59

Naturalust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnkRTA8wtg

I had 0 idea and I love LZ. Thanks mate.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 5, 2015 19:16

The war of words heats up : [www.esquire.com]

I just read about [former Rolling Stones bass player] Bill Wyman getting upset about a plaque at Dartford station honoring you and Mick.

Yeah. I actually don't know exactly what it said, but Mick just the other day came up to me and says, "Do you believe this shit, man? Bill Wyman is complaining about the plaque at Dartford station." I said, "A plaque? I thought we had a statue."
He was pissed off because it said you and Mick "formed" the Rolling Stones.

I know he took umbrage with that, but I can't understand why. Bill wasn't there when the band was formed. Ian Stewart formed the band—we gravitated around him. Bill was a quirky, funny old f*ucker, but why he should make some ?kind of public 'do about it.?.?.?. I think Mick sent a note saying—?because Bill comes from a town called Penge—"Bill, if a plaque went up in Penge station that said you were the founding member of the Rolling Stones, do you think we'd complain?" But Bill—oh, we love him ?dearly, and he was a hell of a bass player. We didn't tell him to leave.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-05 19:16 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:00

no one should forgive him for leaving!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:26

Turner68

What i do like about Darryl is when they play live together, Keith keeps showing him how he plays guitar with a big cheesy grin, then Darryl returns the favour with an equally cheesy grin. HaHa i love it..

Sorry wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 00:30 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 6, 2015 00:30

keefriffhards
Turner68

What i do like about Darryl is when they play live together, Keith keeps showing him how he plays guitar with a big cheesy grin, then Darryl returns the favour with an equally cheesy grin. HaHa i love it..

yeah, they are acting like they are sharing an inside joke. we'll never know if they really are!

Date: August 6, 2015 00:35

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68

yeah, they are acting like they are sharing an inside joke. we'll never know if they really are!

Keith gets buzzed about going over to Darryl, its his favourite place because Darryl is always encouraging in his gestures, whereas bill would just look at Keith as if to say wtf lol

Date: August 6, 2015 00:36

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68

Except it's old and tired as, "Glad to be here, glad to be anywhere." There's nothing spontaneous about the Senior Citizen Stones. You can catch Keith occasionally speaking to Bill in old videos. They smile, but it seems real.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:45

Keith enjoys playing with Darryl more, they have a better open chemistry. But Keith and Bill do have a genuine (albeit reserved in display) respect and a warmth for each other, and Keith does like Bill's playing.

In life he poked fun at the man and his quirks but he did make a point of saying that Bill "is an incredible bass player, there's no doubt about it"

Date: August 6, 2015 00:56

Rollin92
Keith enjoys playing with Darryl more, they have a better open chemistry. But Keith and Bill do have a genuine (albeit reserved in display) respect and a warmth for each other, and Keith does like Bill's playing.

In life he poked fun at the man and his quirks but he did make a point of saying that Bill "is an incredible bass player, there's no doubt about it"

And it only took him 53 years to say it!

Date: August 6, 2015 01:41

24FPS
Rollin92

And it only took him 53 years to say it!

yes.. although weren't you the one just a few weeks ago pleading them to just once acknowledge that wyman was a great bass player? someone was. eerie.

I've never forgiven Bill Wyman for leaving
Date: August 6, 2015 00:00

I wish he'd stayed in the band. They wouldn't have written better songs, but their tours would have been much more fun.

Thoughts?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 11:42 by bv.

Re: Turner68: I've never forgiven Bill Wyman for leaving
Date: August 6, 2015 00:15

Love it turner, you're keeping this place going with your threads.
Its very quiet on here since the tour finished

No i never forgave him either. I loved watching Bill watching the Stones.
He was so down to earth and level headed
Yep still miss him even though i think Darryl is great to.
I still cant forgive the Stones for giving him the cold shoulder at the 50th show at the 02
I mean why bring him back and not let him play a few songs. The guys nearly 80 years old, he should of gone home happy with a smile on his face. That's petty and i blame Mick for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-06 00:28 by keefriffhards.

Date: August 6, 2015 00:20

keefriffhards
Love it turner, you're keeping this place going with your threads.
Its very quiet on here since the tour finished

No i never forgave him either. I loved watching Bill watching the Stones.
He was so down to earth and level headed
Yep still miss him even though i think Darrell is great to.
I still cant forgive the Stones for giving him the cold shoulder at the 50th show at the 02
I mean why bring him back and not let him play a few songs. The guys nearly 80 years old, he should of gone home happy with a smile on his face. That's petty and i blame Mick for that.

i agree. wyman should have been given a happy ending by mick.

Date: August 6, 2015 00:22

I prefer Darryl...

Date: August 6, 2015 00:26

Munichhilton
I prefer Darryl...

I don't, but he does a great job. Each to their own.

Date: August 6, 2015 00:33

I'm not sure what difference it would have made if he'd stayed. Maybe he would have improved a few of those songs on the three CDs they made the last 21 years. He at least would have had a better bass line than that atrociously wimpy one on Doom and Gloom. The live DVDs would have sounded better in your living room. Face it, he would have wearied of the grind of playing the same old same old over and over and over. Bill was there for the Golden Years, and in many ways Steel Wheels was the sayonara for the great Rolling Stones. They didn't know what they had when they had him, and he took his piece of the Stones with him when he left.

Date: August 6, 2015 00:35

24FPS
I'm not sure what difference it would have made if he'd stayed. Maybe he would have improved a few of those songs on the three CDs they made the last 21 years. He at least would have had a better bass line than that atrociously wimpy one on Doom and Gloom. The live DVDs would have sounded better in your living room. Face it, he would have wearied of the grind of playing the same old same old over and over and over. Bill was there for the Golden Years, and in many ways Steel Wheels was the sayonara for the great Rolling Stones. They didn't know what they had when they had him, and he took his piece of the Stones with him when he left.

there is definitely an argument that he is better appreciated because he left, and everyone can see the difference. i think keith's comments in today's esquire were great.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2015 00:37

And the RS store would probably be selling metal-detectors ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2015 00:38

Rockman
And the RS store would probably be selling metal-detectors ...

smileys with beer

Date: August 6, 2015 00:39

I love Bill and his playing but he was unhappy by the end, so in leaving he made the right decision for himself. In that respect I can't be angry at him.

For me Darryl, although added his own spin, hasn't filled the void. But I bear no anger to Darryl because at the end of the day Bill's contribution and bass playing are secured in the Stones musical legacy, you can guarantee that.

Date: August 6, 2015 00:51

Rollin92
I love Bill and his playing but he was unhappy by the end, so in leaving he made the right decision for himself. In that respect I can't be angry at him.

For me Darryl, although added his own spin, hasn't filled the void. But I bear no anger to Darryl because at the end of the day Bill's contribution and bass playing are secured in the Stones musical legacy, you can guarantee that.

Maybe Mick never wanted Bill back because he would not want to split the earnings 5 ways again. Darryl is a hired hand like Chuck or Bernard

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 24 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2317
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home