Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 26
Re: Bill Wyman: The Stones Never Forgave Me For Leaving
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 5, 2015 12:03

Doxa
The issue of Bill's possible invention of "Jumping Jack Flash" riff has been discussed rather thoroughly here in the past. Since I haven't heard any new 'facts' been pupped up, and I have nothing to add into what I've already said, let me just remind two claims by Bill by which he kind of supports his initial claim, I recall discussed earlier, and not mentioned in this thread yet.

Firstly, Bill says that he has some sort of document in which Keith admits that Bill came up with the riff.

Secondly, Bill says that he would have been given the credition for "Flash" had he not left the band (or if he had returned; can't recall the context any longer).

The problem with the former is that we don't have that document - for example, our missed, great contributor His Majesty has (had?) a great collection of old British magazines, papers, etc. and no such a Keith quote is to be found.

But remember, we used to have a great debate concerning the invention of another iconic riff - that of "The Last Time". Even though Brian played it, many people were suspicious if Brian had been the one not just playing it, but also that of creating it. The arguments in favor of Keith resembled back then quite much the current ones for "Flash". However, above mentioned His Majesty discovered an old paper from the 60's, in which Keith straight-forwardly says that Brian created the whole thing. Even though it was 'just' a few words by Richards in a written form, that seemingly was reliable enough to convince 'anyone'.

What goes for the plausibility of the second claim by Wyman: if it really is true, even then it wouldn't straight-forwardy made the initial claim true. Namely, one could counter-argue that The Stones could have made whatever sacrifices (within a reason) to keep the guy in band/to bring him back back then. If it would have cost them the third of the credition of one of their biggest hits, well, that's the price...

Even though there seems - or ought - to be a kind of consensus here now that 'we' should not pay much attention to Bill's claim, I think that kind of 'agreement' or 'conclusion' need to derive from the belief that Bill Wyman is just not misremembering, perceiving differently, but cold-heartidly and systematically lying. That is a bit too harsh for me. I think this still very much is an open case (that is: until there is a stronger 'proof', I can't be sure about it, but at the moment I tend to think that Bill Wyman was the man who came up with the riff; the way I interpret current data I am familiar with is favoring him).

(A side remark: I don't think that we really have much use for the mentioned distinction between "providing info" and "making things up", since there simply aren't so many "hard facts" concerning song-writing and other creative processes. Whether we are awere of that or not, we do a lot of guesses, and our views have so so many presuppostions, firm beliefs and idiosoncratic conceptions, which dictate our observation and interpretation of 'facts'. If we want to have a some kind of coherent picture of all of that we need to consult our imagination (or reason, if you like). For that we need - as we actually do - to use all there is - recorded documents, pictures, people's words, own ears, our pre-knowledge, etc - but in the end it is just an educated guess, at best. If we really would just "stick to the facts", we would know and understand next to nothing.)

In the end, the riff in question, no matter how catchy and famous it is (especially thanks to the way Keith plays it with the guitar), musically (without the context of the song or iconic guitar 'interpretation') it is just a simple, a few notes thing almost anyone could might have occasionally come up with, if had fooled a bit with "Satisfaction" kind of scheme in mind. I mean, if we forget the 'guitar interpretation' - how it is played with the guitar - (which we don't do, because we think the whole thing basically as a guitar riff), and just consider its core musical skeleton one could play with any instrument... composing that is not exactly the biggest musical achievement in the world, for which one needs to be a musical genious... (Sorry, Bill!grinning smiley)

- Doxa

thumbs up I can imagine Keith mumbling about giving him a credit if he stays (in 1991). Nothing to be taken seriously but a bit like when he went to see Bill before the reunion. Keith being Keith. Edit no 2: yeah sure maybe all my input is no 2 but here you go: Keith speaks his mind. And he has been known to use drugs and have drinks, more than a few. I can imagine him saying something to Bill about getting a co-credit but without first checking with Mick or Legal. We're talking about millions of pounds, possible claims from others following that etc.

When I read Bill's book and the story of the riff I knew exactly what he meant by first being hailed for doing a great thing (in the studio) - in my case a good input in a creative process - and then, the day after or possibly the day(s) after that hear the two leaders of the group say: hey what a great thing I (they) came up with, did you hear that?
And I remember what it felt like to actually have to remind them of how it was I, not the they, who came up with whatever it was. And still they insisted they did it.

And guess what, I remained in that particular group and never said a word. I was not one of the "leaders" and they ran the "show". To me Bills story is very believable and probably touching because of his description of their attitude afterwards. If that happened I know exactly what it feels like and why you keep your distance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 17:43 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 5, 2015 12:03

triceratops
SweetThing
DandelionPowderman
Bill wanted to fire Mick.

Jagger was upset he couldn't fire Keith... according to Mick Taylor.

Someone wanted to fire Ronnie in the 80s - but I don't recall where that really originated = though the 2nd part of that claim was the dreadful notion of replacing him (temporarily?) with George Thorogood.

Mick fired them all when he did his solo album and went on to tour Japan and Australia. Here are two setlists from that tour. Heavy on Stones tunes....Because like I said, he sacked all their worthless, drunk, druggy asses!!!!hot smiley And brought in some real pros. Steve Morse would have been stellar lead guitar on that tour. Can you imagine! With Joe Satriani!

880322A 22nd March: MICK JAGGER. Tokyo, Japan, Tokyo Dome/Kurakuen Stadium
(Honky Tonk Women/Throwaway/Bitch/Let’s Spend The Night Together/
Beast Of Burden/Tumbling Dice/Miss You/Ruby Tuesday/Just Another
Night/War Baby/Harlem Shuffle/Say You Will/Party Doll/Band
introduction/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Radio Control/
Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/Brown Sugar/It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Jumping
Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

880927C 27th September: MICK JAGGER. Sydney, Australia, Entertainment Center
(Throwaway/Just Another Night/Lonely At The Top/Honky Tonk
Women/Miss You/Tumbling Dice/Radio Control/Ruby Tuesday/Can’t
You Hear Me Knocking/Harlem Shuffle/Lucky In Love/Primitive
Cool/War Baby/You Can’t Always Get What You Want/Band
introduction/One Hit/Foxy Lady/Party Doll/Wild Colonial Boy/
Bitch/Rip This Joint/Gimme Shelter/Start Me Up/It’s Only Rock’n
Roll/Jumping Jack Flash/Sympathy For The Devil/Satisfaction)

I would of thought that the reason Mick went solo was because he did not like the force of nature K R had became when he came off heroin. Not the other way around as you mention.
Mick likes control and he could not control Keith in the 80's.
I personally think that the period Mick and Keith no longer toured between 82' & 89' could have been the most exciting time to have seen them live. they were in their prime of life, still young and ambitious enough to have been an almighty force live at that time. Keith was just bursting to go on the road.
I don't think Mick liked the legend that Keith had become in the 80's. Keith had gone from just being, (to the world at large ) a member of the stones. you know, people used to say its Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones. But Keith became the most wanted man to interview, every one became obsessed with the living legend. when Mick was in an interview he used to get so angry when the interviewer kept asking questions about Keith. I remember one interview where Mick blasted ''I don't want to talk about Keith , I want to talk about me ''..

so no sorry, i don't think Mick fired their so and so asses as you claim.
I think Jagger wanted all the limelight, and boy did it back fire.
Mick's solo albums just went further to prove that it is actually Keith that is the sound of the Stones. essentially Keith is the Rolling Stones.
The paying public were not interested in solo Jagger. Not to the extent that it would bring the riches he affords WITH the Rolling Stones..

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 5, 2015 13:22

Redhotcarpet
Doxa
The issue of Bill's possible invention of "Jumping Jack Flash" riff has been discussed rather thoroughly here in the past. Since I haven't heard any new 'facts' been pupped up, and I have nothing to add into what I've already said, let me just remind two claims by Bill by which he kind of supports his initial claim, I recall discussed earlier, and not mentioned in this thread yet.

Firstly, Bill says that he has some sort of document in which Keith admits that Bill came up with the riff.

Secondly, Bill says that he would have been given the credition for "Flash" had he not left the band (or if he had returned; can't recall the context any longer).

The problem with the former is that we don't have that document - for example, our missed, great contributor His Majesty has (had?) a great collection of old British magazines, papers, etc. and no such a Keith quote is to be found.

But remember, we used to have a great debate concerning the invention of another iconic riff - that of "The Last Time". Even though Brian played it, many people were suspicious if Brian had been the one not just playing it, but also that of creating it. The arguments in favor of Keith resembled back then quite much the current ones for "Flash". However, above mentioned His Majesty discovered an old paper from the 60's, in which Keith straight-forwardly says that Brian created the whole thing. Even though it was 'just' a few words by Richards in a written form, that seemingly was reliable enough to convince 'anyone'.

What goes for the plausibility of the second claim by Wyman: if it really is true, even then it wouldn't straight-forwardy made the initial claim true. Namely, one could counter-argue that The Stones could have made whatever sacrifices (within a reason) to keep the guy in band/to bring him back back then. If it would have cost them the third of the credition of one of their biggest hits, well, that's the price...

Even though there seems - or ought - to be a kind of consensus here now that 'we' should not pay much attention to Bill's claim, I think that kind of 'agreement' or 'conclusion' need to derive from the belief that Bill Wyman is just not misremembering, perceiving differently, but cold-heartidly and systematically lying. That is a bit too harsh for me. I think this still very much is an open case (that is: until there is a stronger 'proof', I can't be sure about it, but at the moment I tend to think that Bill Wyman was the man who came up with the riff; the way I interpret current data I am familiar with is favoring him).

(A side remark: I don't think that we really have much use for the mentioned distinction between "providing info" and "making things up", since there simply aren't so many "hard facts" concerning song-writing and other creative processes. Whether we are awere of that or not, we do a lot of guesses, and our views have so so many presuppostions, firm beliefs and idiosoncratic conceptions, which dictate our observation and interpretation of 'facts'. If we want to have a some kind of coherent picture of all of that we need to consult our imagination (or reason, if you like). For that we need - as we actually do - to use all there is - recorded documents, pictures, people's words, own ears, our pre-knowledge, etc - but in the end it is just an educated guess, at best. If we really would just "stick to the facts", we would know and understand next to nothing.)

In the end, the riff in question, no matter how catchy and famous it is (especially thanks to the way Keith plays it with the guitar), musically (without the context of the song or iconic guitar 'interpretation') it is just a simple, a few notes thing almost anyone could might have occasionally come up with, if had fooled a bit with "Satisfaction" kind of scheme in mind. I mean, if we forget the 'guitar interpretation' - how it is played with the guitar - (which we don't do, because we think the whole thing basically as a guitar riff), and just consider its core musical skeleton one could play with any instrument... composing that is not exactly the biggest musical achievement in the world, for which one needs to be a musical genious... (Sorry, Bill!grinning smiley)

- Doxa

thumbs up I can imagine Keith mumbling about giving him a credit if he stays (in 1991). Nothing to be taken seriously but a bit like when he went to see Bill before the reunion. Keith being Keith.

I believe Doxa makes a very good point about the JJF riff and had been thinking last night before reading this, it seemed to me nearly anyone messing about on the piano could've come up with it. Perhaps a few people here, that actually play guitar in bands, and that are obviously Stones fans, might have jumped to incorporate it into something else, but that is in hindsight as we've already heard and love JJF.

Also, I am not terribly familiar with all of Bill's solo work, but really In Another Land doesn't remind me of Je Suis Rock Star much... In the recent interview Bill did which you can see on Youtube where he talks about the guest appearance in London on 50 and counting he is asked if he likes/liked playing more for the Stones his whole career or what he is playing now. Bill answers what he is playing now, because of the *variety* of music they play in The Rythm Kings.

So, its not as if some imply now, the same thing as saying Ronnie Wood somehow painted the roof of the sistine chapel.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: July 5, 2015 18:36

Redhotcarpet

When I read Bill's book and the story of the riff I knew exactly what he meant by first being hailed for doing a great thing (in the studio) - in my case a good input in a creative process - and then, the day after or possibly the day(s) after that hear the two leaders of the group say: hey what a great thing I (they) came up with, did you hear that?
And I remember what it felt like to actually have to remind them of how it was I, not the they, who came up with whatever it was. And still they insisted they did it.

And guess what, I remained in that particular group and never said a word. I was not one of the "leaders" and they ran the "show". To me Bills story is very believable and probably touching because of his description of their attitude afterwards. If that happened I know exactly what it feels like and why you keep your distance.

Yes, of course none of us was there, but Bill's story is perfectly credible.

"Prodigal Son" was labeled a Jagger-Richard composition until someone put their foot down.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 5, 2015 19:22

I was around the Stones quite a lot in 1969-70.

I've read most of Bill's books. I noticed a few minor
errors but essentially he is on target.

Bill likes books, enjoys reading and is one hell of a bass player.
Charlie and Bill are still friends and I would think there are gigs
where Charlie must miss Bill's playing quite a lot.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: July 18, 2015 14:03

DandelionPowderman
No, it's Keith telling which notes Nicky should be playing. Blew my mind when I first heard it, as I didn't think he was that hands on.

It's actually Mick and he's suggesting to Nicky that he should emphasise the bulld up in rhythm of the melody. Nicky was already playing the melody before this exchange.

Date: July 18, 2015 18:19

Bill or Charlie are the only members who I think they never lie. Their public roles do not need it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 18, 2015 18:42

stonesrule
I was around the Stones quite a lot in 1969-70.

I've read most of Bill's books. I noticed a few minor
errors but essentially he is on target.

Bill likes books, enjoys reading and is one hell of a bass player.
Charlie and Bill are still friends and I would think there are gigs
where Charlie must miss Bill's playing quite a lot.

thumbs up There are many of us who miss Bill's bass playing. You don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 19:00

I never missed Bill´s playing or him personally. The last Album Bill played on, Steel Wheels, is a very weak one, the following albums were much better. Darryl does a good job live, technically he is without doubt the better player, so I don´t miss Bill a bit. Never did, never will.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 18, 2015 19:23

HMS
I never missed Bill´s playing or him personally. The last Album Bill played on, Steel Wheels, is a very weak one...

LOL, you do realize that Bill was on the previous 20+ albums.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:25

HMS
I never missed Bill´s playing or him personally. The last Album Bill played on, Steel Wheels, is a very weak one, the following albums were much better. Darryl does a good job live, technically he is without doubt the better player, so I don´t miss Bill a bit. Never did, never will.

I never cared for the guy either.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:52

I have respected Bill Wyman's playing since the mid Sixties in live concert and on record.

Anyone else feel that way?

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:54

just realized we've had three studio albums in the past 25 years - compare that with the output of the first 25 years!

Date: July 18, 2015 21:15

stonesrule
I have respected Bill Wyman's playing since the mid Sixties in live concert and on record.

Not a fan of tape and digital formats?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 18, 2015 21:25

stonesrule

As a bass player William was a perfect fit for the Stones.

Date: July 18, 2015 21:47

They took him rather for owning an amplifier than for his playing skills (at least I heard so).

Date: July 18, 2015 22:31

HMS
They took him rather for owning an amplifier than for his playing skills (at least I heard so).

Keith only got in because he was a friend of Micks. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 23:09

Hell, it's been over 20 years since Bill quit. There's a possible whole generation of Stones fans who don't even know who he is or what he contributed. They just might think Darryl Jones is the bees knees. (My ears won't do that). I didn't start listening seriously to the Stones until Let It Bleed. Brian was already gone. It took me a few years to understand his contribution. Every player in Brian's slot has had to play really good slide, which I think Taylor and Wood qualify. (Though all had different styles).

I think the problem the older fans, like myself, have, is that they didn't replace Bill with a rock bassist. For all his alleged technical proficiency, Darryl Jones plays, with the Stones, like a soulless hired gun. I don't think the Stones themselves really understood how good Bill was. Although I think you'll notice going over albums like Goats Head Soup that Mick seemed to make sure Bill was on most of his songs to give them the highest quality, especially in the melody. (You'll notice now that Mick must not value Darryl's bass playing that much if he's willing to push him aside and play it himself.)

I think Charlie said he didn't miss Bill's playing as much as he missed his sense of humor. And after Bill quit, and he had to go over some parts with Darryl, he realized how clever Bill had been. So don't go overboard on Charlie picking Darryl. Charlie doesn't seem to hear what went on in front of him for three decades.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 23:10

(And Bill is great on Steel Wheels.)

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 18, 2015 23:27

I read the comments about not liking or missing Bill or Mick Taylor and I am quite astounded. Perhaps these folks should have a separate site for Vegas-era Stones only.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:30

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-19 00:34 by Ket.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 19, 2015 03:01

Bill should have had a much bigger role in the 50th tour perhaps even having MR Jones step aside IMO, but hey that's me

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: July 19, 2015 11:19

Bill didn't play a lot on Exile and on many of the other records. His solo album he came up with recently after how many years? is as embarassing as to repeat million times the story of how he left or that he left and what happened with JJF.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 19, 2015 11:54

71Tele
I read the comments about not liking or missing Bill or Mick Taylor and I am quite astounded. Perhaps these folks should have a separate site for Vegas-era Stones only.

I am beginning to think they do...

Date: July 19, 2015 12:12

Bass players usually don´t get much attention, especially if they don´t write songs for the band and don´t sing. No wonder that only few people are missing Bill.

As for Mick Taylor, he was 5 years with the stones. The Stones are there for 53 years. Nothing left to say. Mick Taylor is history, only a flickering flame in the past. Long gone.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 19, 2015 12:33

HMS

Welcome to IORR, Keith!

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 14:09

Stoneburst
HMS

Welcome to IORR, Keith!

I don't think either of them had any spectacular skills in the early days, first album is great but very rough indeed. But they grew in skill together, thats why I love the stones, you can track their journey as a band through the records.

Keith says in life they took him for his amp but something clicked when he started playing with Charlie.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 19, 2015 16:05

Interview (in French) of Bill Wyman in Gonzai : [gonzai.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 19, 2015 16:50

Thanks for the link, interesting that there are also forbidden topics for interviews with Bill.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 19, 2015 17:04

71Tele

exactly....it's incomprehensible how any true Stones fan does not understand or recognize that MT allowed the band to expand it's musical boundaries and made them a guitar driven, harder rocking band...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1516171819202122232425...LastNext
Current Page: 20 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home