Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 34
Re: Private Rolling Stones gig at the Belly Up, Solana Beach San Diego tonight
Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 28, 2015 09:57

Such a great show. It was private, yes, but the fans were still fans, and the Stones were still great. Fifteen songs in 90 minutes. Don't mix quantity with quality. They started with Start Me Up, IORR anmd You Got Me Rocking. I Got The Blues. More emotional than at the Fonda Theatre. Great solo Chuck. Keith was amazing on his HTW solo. Mick & Keith was close on several occations. Mick played the crowd easily. It was packed and Happy Birthday Sir, you threw a hell of a party!

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonesSoCal ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:04

BV- congrats on getting in!!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:12

bv
Such a great show. It was private, yes, but the fans were still fans, and the Stones were still great. Fifteen songs in 90 minutes. Don't mix quantity with quality. They started with Start Me Up, IORR anmd You Got Me Rocking. I Got The Blues. More emotional than at the Fonda Theatre. Great solo Chuck. Keith was amazing on his HTW solo. Mick & Keith was close on several occations. Mick played the crowd easily. It was packed and Happy Birthday Sir, you threw a hell of a party!

Thanks for word of this amazing rare tiny-club show. And to think that you got in --and even discovered the show itself!-- simply because you happened to stick around San Diego because it's such a nice interesting city, rather than traveling back to Los Angeles where some folks thought the Stones had returned, and happened to be out riding your bicycle this afternoon, by the same club where you happened to attend a show the previous night since you happened to be interested in checking out that very venue - now THAT is a story to tell the grandchildren!

bv
I am not invited. I just happened to bike the Del Mar Mesa trails this morning, three hours or so, great trails, and they just happened to be preparing for a private show right here. I saw the trucks outside, and some crew, pretty easy to see what is going on when you know a lot of faces.

bv
I went to the...concert at the Belly Up last night, to get a feeling of the the venue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 11:33 by swiss.

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:20

What were they wearing?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:22

Just perfect that BV made it in to the gig and I'm looking forward to reading more about onlystones adventures at the Belly Up.

Posted by: leftybill ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:25

The Stones
Just perfect that BV made it in to the gig and I'm looking forward to reading more about onlystones adventures at the Belly Up.
thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:26

bv
The money this private person is paying is going directly into the tour budget, i.e. theoretically he is saving us a few dollar on ticket prices, like a sponsor.

If you don't like the fact that the Rolling Stones play for money, go figure out, they have done it since 1962. Just read Keith's notes in his book LIFE, day by day. He noted every single pound, shilling and pence they did every show from the very first one. Getting paid as a performing artist is acknowledge of fame and success. Still.

Really BV? Your kidding right, you must be........... If someone wants The Stones to play a private gig, and has the cash to pay them, then good for him, no problem. I'm not surprised that The Stones would take his money either, why shouldn't they. However, to suggest they only did it because they want to save us less well off fans a few dollars is laughable and insulting.

I love the band, but I also know that they are a bunch of greedy avaricious old goats, who don't give a toss for their fans. They never have!

Glad you got in though.... You deserve it with all the hard work you put in on this site

Date: May 28, 2015 10:26

The Stones

The fact that IORRians made it into a show like this brings a smile to my face. Well done! smileys with beer

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:29

swiss
bv

Thanks for word of this amazing rare tiny-club show. And to think that you got in --and even discovered the show itself!-- simply because you happened to stick around San Diego because it's such a nice interesting city, rather than traveling back to Los Angeles where some folks thought the Stones had returned, and happened to be out riding your bicycle this afternoon, by the same club where you happened to attend a show the previous night since you happened to be interested in checking out that very venue - now THAT is a story to tell the grandchildren!

Indeed thanks for the quick report, look forward to a longer on in the blog or the show reviews.

Curious was it really all that luck and coincidence? bv just happened to stumble on a Stones club gig and get in? I suspect there is more to the story.

peace

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:32

Oh my GOD!!!! What a day. I am shaking so it will take me a couple of minutes to calm down. Still inside with my gracious host. I just got the OK to use my phone to "text my son". I have not followed along on this thread. I will catch up. BV was definitely in (congrats). Also I know several people from the line got in. Other than that WHAT A SHOW. YGMR and Crazy Mama were done fabulously.

My new best friend in SD hooked me up!!! He kind of laughed when he looked at me during I Got the Blues and tears were running down my face. This version was so soulful and well played it is definitely my new favorite version of the song.

Its hard to type on my phone. I will talk about the whole journey and experience as soon as I can.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:38

onlystones
Oh my GOD!!!! What a day. I am shaking so it will take me a couple of minutes to calm down. Still inside with my gracious host. I just got the OK to use my phone to "text my son". I have not followed along on this thread. I will catch up. BV was definitely in (congrats). Also I know several people from the line got in. Other than that WHAT A SHOW. YGMR and Crazy Mama were done fabulously.

My new best friend in SD hooked me up!!! He kind of laughed when he looked at me during I Got the Blues and tears were running down my face. This version was so soulful and well played it is definitely my new favorite version of the song.

Its hard to type on my phone. I will talk about the whole journey and experience as soon as I can.

Congratulations, onlystones! smileys with beer

Date: May 28, 2015 10:42

onlystones

Nothing pleases me more than seeing that this trip paid off! smileys with beer

Date: May 28, 2015 10:43

Of course I did not go to Solana Beach for biking. I got here because I had some information. I get lots of information and I need to evaluate everything I get at all times. I can't publish rumours, they might be incorrect, but I noticed that Belly Up had one day available only - for the entire month - today. I also noticed that a LOT of great artists including B.B King and Bo Diddley had played it.

My visit last night to Belly Up sort of raised my attention from 75% into 90%. This morning it was 100% when I saw the trucks and familiar faces. But then I was my way into Del Mar Mesa on my new mounatin bike, knowing I could enjoy biking for 3-4 hours, then come back to hang around and see what happens in the afternoon. I stayed 10 minutes walking from the venue, a must if you want to know what is going on.

If your read the FIRST post of the LA Club tread I started two months ago you will see that I said 1-2 club shows in LA and/or SD. Since then I have been working hard to find out about the second show - this one. It turned out it was good planning to go up here instead of flying out to Columbus or just staying in SD downtown.

I am currently attending a business meeting online at work, writing while talking, but I will do some more writing tomorrow. The show ws great and I am very thankful to the Rolling Stones for letting me in.

Bjornulf

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:43

A clubgig is always great. Even if you're not one of the lucky few.
If you look at this setlist, it's pretty average to me besides IGTB and Crazy Mama. But if you are inside the builing it's not important anymore what they are playing because you can't get any closer. So if I am the lucky bastard someday, the can play any warhorse you can name and I will be in seventh heaven. I hope they gonna do some more clubshows in the future.

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:50

bv
The money this private person is paying is going directly into the tour budget, i.e. theoretically he is saving us a few dollar on ticket prices, like a sponsor.

If you don't like the fact that the Rolling Stones play for money, go figure out, they have done it since 1962. Just read Keith's notes in his book LIFE, day by day. He noted every single pound, shilling and pence they did every show from the very first one. Getting paid as a performing artist is acknowledge of fame and success. Still.

I read that the Mogador show was motivated by financing the cost of rehearsals in Paris (rather long considering that they prepared only 5 shows).

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 28, 2015 10:53

bart-man
A clubgig is always great. Even if you're not one of the lucky few.
If you look at this setlist, it's pretty average to me besides IGTB and Crazy Mama. But if you are inside the builing it's not important anymore what they are playing because you can't get any closer. So if I am the lucky bastard someday, the can play any warhorse you can name and I will be in seventh heaven. I hope they gonna do some more clubshows in the future.

Now, let the bootlegs come!!! Would love to hear that crazy mama...smiling smiley

Date: May 28, 2015 11:01

DoomandGloom
roller99
Did the Stones sing Happy Birthday yet? Did Mick and Keith harmonize on the end bit?
For another half million they'll french kiss during "Loving Cup."

LOLsmileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:02

Congratulations to BV for getting in to the show, and anyone else who made it.

Found this link which has got at least 3 videos of the Belly Up Tavern area.
I recognise a few faces from other Petco show videos.

Sorry if already posted but haven't looked back at all the pages.

Belly Up Tavern

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()

bv
Of course I did not go to Solana Beach for biking. I got here because I had some information. I get lots of information and I need to evaluate everything I get at all times. I can't publish rumours, they might be incorrect, but I noticed that Belly Up had one day available only - for the entire month - today. I also noticed that a LOT of great artists including B.B King and Bo Diddley had played it.

My visit last night to Belly Up sort of raised my attention from 75% into 90%. This morning it was 100% when I saw the trucks and familiar faces. But then I was my way into Del Mar Mesa on my new mounatin bike, knowing I could enjoy biking for 3-4 hours, then come back to hang around and see what happens in the afternoon. I stayed 10 minutes walking from the venue, a must if you want to know what is going on.

If your read the FIRST post of the LA Club tread I started two months ago you will see that I said 1-2 club shows in LA and/or SD. Since then I have been working hard to find out about the second show - this one. It turned out it was good planning to go up here instead of flying out to Columbus or just staying in SD downtown.

I am currently attending a business meeting online at work, writing while talking, but I will do some more writing tomorrow. The show ws great and I am very thankful to the Rolling Stones for letting me in.

Did you request your ticket months ago and what time did you get the confirmation?

bv

Good for you BV! How did you get in this time? Through the management? Through someone invited? or did you just have the luck queuing up outside the club?

Would love to hear the story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 11:03 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:05

Turner68

here's the set list.

[instagram.com]

thumbs up Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 11:10 by Irix.

Posted by: Jeffer ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:11

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:12

DoomandGloom
roller99
Did the Stones sing Happy Birthday yet? Did Mick and Keith harmonize on the end bit?
For another half million they'll french kiss during "Loving Cup."

We are happy that they didn't played "kocksucker blues", perhaps for another million>grinning smiley<

Date: May 28, 2015 11:16

MRAmandaJones
bv

I read that the Mogador show was motivated by financing the cost of rehearsals in Paris (rather long considering that they prepared only 5 shows).

Same with Belly Up. It is a way of financing the tour. I leave the business to those who are experts. I just follow the band.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:20

Say what you want. I don't buy they do this to lower ticket prices for a split second.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 11:21 by Nikkei.

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:22

BV--where is your bike ride scheduled for later today? winking smiley

Date: May 28, 2015 11:24

DREAMTIME
bv

Did you request your ticket months ago and what time did you get the confirmation?

There were no tickets for this show. Guest list by invitation only. I was not invited. I don't know this finance guy, but it was a great party!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:25

Nikkei
Say what you want. I don't buy they do this to lower ticket prices for a split second.

the pricing strategy of rock concerts is like airplane trips.

you want to sell each seat. you also want to have fancy seats for the people willing to spend lots, and you want to have cheap seats for those not willing to spend a lot.

airplane flights make the most money when the flights are full. it's a waste to fly an airplane with an empty seat, because you are still paying to fly the whole plane. if not all the seats on an airplane are filled, then by definition you have charged too much for at least some of them.

likewise, if a rock concert for an established band isn't a sellout, they were charging too much for at least some of their tickets and they left money on the table - they still played the concert to the whole arena, empty as well as full seats. might as well have a paying customer in every seat.

the rolling stones are not selling out and therefore are charging too much for at least some of their tickets - they would actually make more money if they sold tickets at a lower price.

with this background, it's obvious how silly it is to say that this private show "allows the stones to charge less for their fans". they are by definition charging their fans more than they should, since they aren't filling all the seats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 11:33 by Turner68.

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:27

BV--so the Stones also had a guest list on you were on it?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:29

wellalright
BV--where is your bike ride scheduled for later today? winking smiley

He'll post tomorrow 30 minutes before the show winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home