Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 34
Re: Private Rolling Stones gig at the Belly Up, Solana Beach San Diego tonight
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:33

Turner68
Nikkei
Say what you want. I don't buy they do this to lower ticket prices for a split second.

the pricing strategy of rock concerts is like airplane trips.

you want to sell each seat. you also want to have fancy seats for the people willing to spend lots, and you want to have cheap seats for those not willing to spend a lot.

airplane flights make the most money when the flights are full. it's a waste to fly an airplane with an empty seat, because you are still paying to fly the whole plane. if not all the seats on an airplane are filled, then by definition you have charged too much for at least some of them.

likewise, if a rock concert for an established band isn't a sellout, they were charging too much for at least some of their tickets and they left money on the table - they still played the concert to the whole arena, empty as well as full seats. might as well have a paying customer in every seat.

the rolling stones are not selling out and therefore are charging too much for at least some of their tickets - they would actually make more money if they sold tickets at a lower price.

with this background, it's obvious how silly it is to say that this private show "allows the stones to charge less for their fans". they are by definition charging their fans more than they should, since they aren't filling all the seats.

Yes and it's not like they're being forced to play Mogador or the Belly-Up to break even is it? That argument makes no sense so may I suggest it just be dropped once and for all?

Having said that it's pretty fascinating that this type of gig should even be happening, on many levels!

It didn't seem there was a rail last night...like at the Marquee in 1971, when was the last time that happened? El Mocambo 1977 perhaps?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 11:33 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:35

crawdaddy

Found this link which has got at least 3 videos of the Belly Up Tavern area.

Direct links to the News-Videos from [www.cbs8.com] :

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 12:05 by Irix.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:37

Couple of news videos on youtube.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:37

I heard her say "Well tonight was an awkward performance for the Rolling Stones..." when she actually said "encore performance" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:39

wellalright
BV--where is your bike ride scheduled for later today? winking smiley

Ha Ha! I returned my bike at 4pm. Then I did may laudry. Can you believe it? I know the band is arriving right here ten minutes away and I do my laudry! It wasn't done until 6pm. Anyway, things were cool when I walked over to Belly Up. They still are ... cool. I got my beer and pizza after the show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:42

Irix
/KFMB_20150528022101447AB.mp4]Video[/url].

...seeing that video, I am relieved I didn't go. I'm not a stand outside with ear pressed to the door level fan. But bless all the people who did so - looks like they were having fun!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:45

swiss
bv
Such a great show. It was private, yes, but the fans were still fans, and the Stones were still great. Fifteen songs in 90 minutes. Don't mix quantity with quality. They started with Start Me Up, IORR anmd You Got Me Rocking. I Got The Blues. More emotional than at the Fonda Theatre. Great solo Chuck. Keith was amazing on his HTW solo. Mick & Keith was close on several occations. Mick played the crowd easily. It was packed and Happy Birthday Sir, you threw a hell of a party!

Thanks for word of this amazing rare tiny-club show. And to think that you got in --and even discovered the show itself!-- simply because you happened to stick around San Diego because it's such a nice interesting city, rather than traveling back to Los Angeles where some folks thought the Stones had returned, and happened to be out riding your bicycle this afternoon, by the same club where you happened to attend a show the previous night since you happened to be interested in checking out that very venue - now THAT is a story to tell the grandchildren!

bv
I am not invited. I just happened to bike the Del Mar Mesa trails this morning, three hours or so, great trails, and they just happened to be preparing for a private show right here. I saw the trucks outside, and some crew, pretty easy to see what is going on when you know a lot of faces.

bv
I went to the...concert at the Belly Up last night, to get a feeling of the the venue.

BV did not give word. I posted about 7 am NY time yesterday it was at the Belly Up. Many were skeptical. BV obviously knew the facts way before i did as he had scoped out the place the night before. By chance? Just guessed from the open slot? Sure. I don't blame him for not posting the info -- if he did he would never get in again -- but let's be real. Believe that and you will believe that they need to do these shows in order to keep the tickets for their stadium shows at their current low, affordable levels.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:47

Rokyfan
swiss
bv
Such a great show. It was private, yes, but the fans were still fans, and the Stones were still great. Fifteen songs in 90 minutes. Don't mix quantity with quality. They started with Start Me Up, IORR anmd You Got Me Rocking. I Got The Blues. More emotional than at the Fonda Theatre. Great solo Chuck. Keith was amazing on his HTW solo. Mick & Keith was close on several occations. Mick played the crowd easily. It was packed and Happy Birthday Sir, you threw a hell of a party!

Thanks for word of this amazing rare tiny-club show. And to think that you got in --and even discovered the show itself!-- simply because you happened to stick around San Diego because it's such a nice interesting city, rather than traveling back to Los Angeles where some folks thought the Stones had returned, and happened to be out riding your bicycle this afternoon, by the same club where you happened to attend a show the previous night since you happened to be interested in checking out that very venue - now THAT is a story to tell the grandchildren!

bv
I am not invited. I just happened to bike the Del Mar Mesa trails this morning, three hours or so, great trails, and they just happened to be preparing for a private show right here. I saw the trucks outside, and some crew, pretty easy to see what is going on when you know a lot of faces.

bv
I went to the...concert at the Belly Up last night, to get a feeling of the the venue.

BV did not give word. I posted about 7 am NY time yesterday it was at the Belly Up. Many were skeptical. BV obviously knew the facts way before i did as he had scoped out the place the night before. By chance? Just guessed from the open slot? Sure. I don't blame him for not posting the info -- if he did he would never get in again -- but let's be real. Believe that and you will believe that they need to do these shows in order to keep the tickets for their stadium shows at their current low, affordable levels.

Rokyfan you are one articulate dude, well said. And yes you absolutely tipped everyone off first, thank you for that.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:47

Tne local news clip shows people on the street having great fun and attendees of the show (including Witworth) apparently incapable of smiling. Happy for the little girl though.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:48

Thanks for the videos, so how come "borderline superfan" Michael A. isn't on IORR ? Says he got there at 10.30 and was the first in line so maybe he got in?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 28, 2015 11:49

Nikkei
Tne local news clip shows people on the street having great fun and attendees of the show (including Witworth) apparently incapable of smiling. Happy for the little girl though.

they were bummed they had to go to their boss's birthday party and pretend to have fun listening to some band they didn't particularly like.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:51

What a great Rolling Stones week.

Small theatre show at Fonda last Wednesday.

Big,Big show at Petco on Sunday.

Very small Birthday Party show at Belly Up Tavern less than 24 hours ago.

Two days off then a big show at Columbus on Saturday night.

Quite a good week for us Rolling Stones fans, even if it's just following it all on a laptop. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:53

Turner68
Nikkei
Say what you want. I don't buy they do this to lower ticket prices for a split second.

you want to sell each seat. you also want to have fancy seats for the people willing to spend lots, and you want to have cheap seats for those not willing to spend a lot.

airplane flights make the most money when the flights are full. it's a waste to fly an airplane with an empty seat, because you are still paying to fly the whole plane. if not all the seats on an airplane are filled, then by definition you have charged too much for at least some of them.

likewise, if a rock concert for an established band isn't a sellout, they were charging too much for at least some of their tickets and they left money on the table - they still played the concert to the whole arena, empty as well as full seats. might as well have a paying customer in every seat.

the rolling stones are not selling out and therefore are charging too much for at least some of their tickets - they would actually make more money if they sold tickets at a lower price.

with this background, it's obvious how silly it is to say that this private show "allows the stones to charge less for their fans". they are by definition charging their fans more than they should, since they aren't filling all the seats.

If the Stones were paid less than $3m when in the past have charged $6-7m for private parties - the birthday party was tied into a sponsor's money and Whitworth kicked in a couple of more million to get the party.

Without sponsorship money there would be no tour to cover the Stones guarantee (which sponsor money does) - tickets would be unaffordable.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:54

Crawdaddy, I admire your attitude. I feel the adrenaline boost, but not necessesarily in a positive way.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:57

GlimmerGirl24
Turner68
Nikkei

If the Stones were paid less than $3m when in the past have charged $6-7m for private parties - the birthday party was tied into a sponsor's money and Whitworth kicked in a couple of more million to get the party.

Without sponsorship money there would be no tour to cover the Stones guarantee (which sponsor money does) - tickets would be unaffordable.

"the stones guarantee" is what the stones are charging. that's the whole point. it's not a fixed cost, it's a variable cost that is set by the stones.

charging more per ticket only makes sense when you are selling out shows. they aren't: charging more per ticket is not an option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 12:02 by Turner68.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:08

Turner68

"the stones guarantee" is what the stones are charging. that's the whole point. it's not a fixed cost, it's a variable cost that is set by the stones.

This simple point seems so hard to understand but it is THE bottom line here.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:09

Hello, 2am SD time. My new found co-workers don't want to leave. Outstanding party!!! Fonda '15 was an intimate special concert. Belly up is a great fiesta.
The people who work this venue see Big name acts all the time. Everyone of them said they had seen nothing like the Stones. They are in awe. (they can drink some tequila too). I will be leaving soon to go to my hotel in LJ. tell me if you want details about my journey and experience.

If not I will gladly fall asleep with my head phones on cranked up to eleven. yes I do know what I am going to listen to when I go to bed tonight (SG umg remaster). Don't You?

Thanks for the encouragement.

THE WORLDS GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:17

Irix
Turner68

here's the set list.

[instagram.com]

thumbs up Thanks!

"(ONLY IF NEEDED)" - haha, that really made my day
btw: needed for WHAT?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 12:18 by slewan.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:18

In 1999, there was a rumour of the Stones at the Belly Up in Solona Beach after their show at the Annaheim Pond....I went down there hoping! I had a great night - one that I won't ever forget -- but no Stones showed...the house band did play some "Beast of Burden" reprise for me......ironic that it truly happened tonight (no BoB tho)! The place is quite small!

Date: May 28, 2015 12:27

"Only if needed" would mean they leave the stage and Whitworth steps in their way like "Ah-ah-ah, you thought you were done here?"

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:35

Turner68
GlimmerGirl24
Turner68
Nikkei

charging more per ticket only makes sense when you are selling out shows. they aren't: charging more per ticket is not an option.

I've worked on a few "big tour" contracts here in Japan, and I think most, if not all, provided the artist with a guarantee - for example $XX Million, and the Promoters the right to determine ticket prices. Many of them have an initial agreement that ticket prices will average $180. I have also seen a requirement to consult with the artist on ticket pricing, but promoter's decision is final. It's a risky business - for every San Diego, there is a Columbus, but if the contract is like others I have seen, the Stones take no risks.

Date: May 28, 2015 12:37

drbryant
Turner68
GlimmerGirl24
Turner68
Nikkei

I've worked on a few "big tour" contracts here in Japan, and I think most, if not all, provided the artist with a guarantee - for example $XX Million, and the Promoters the right to determine ticket prices. Many of them have an initial agreement that ticket prices will average $180. I have also seen a requirement to consult with the artist on ticket pricing, but promoter's decision is final. It's a risky business - for every San Diego, there is a Columbus, but if the contract is like others I have seen, the Stones take no risks.

that's absolutely how they are structured. but it's silly to pretend that the artist's guarantee doesn't drive the ticket price. the artists like to hide behind that and say that they don't decide the price the promoters do, but hiding is all they are doing.

playing the show tonight in now way lowered the ticket price - that is demonstrably true, because the shows are not sellouts, and so they (technically,the promoters) are already charging *more* than it is economically optimal to charge.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 12:39 by Turner68.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:47

onlystones
Hello, 2am SD time. My new found co-workers don't want to leave. Outstanding party!!! Fonda '15 was an intimate special concert. Belly up is a great fiesta.
The people who work this venue see Big name acts all the time. Everyone of them said they had seen nothing like the Stones. They are in awe. (they can drink some tequila too). I will be leaving soon to go to my hotel in LJ. tell me if you want details about my journey and experience.

If not I will gladly fall asleep with my head phones on cranked up to eleven. yes I do know what I am going to listen to when I go to bed tonight (SG umg remaster). Don't You?

Hey onlystones - congrats on your success! Attending a show like this is the Holy Grail - I'm jealous but happy for you smiling smiley. When you have the time & energy, it would be great if you would share a few details such as:

Which songs were the highlights and which (if any) went a little haywire?

Describe the interaction between band members & specific special moments

What did Mick say to this bunch? Please share the most memorable stage banter

Describe the most memorable Keith moments

What was the enthusiasm level of the crowd?

What were the Stones wearing? (Important stuff!)

Approx. how many guests were in attendance?

Did any fans at the door actually get in?

How did you gain entry? From your post, you seem to insinuate that you managed to work the party. Is that accurate?

I've enjoyed your posts and, like most here, I love details - so please feel free to spill it all! No detail is too small smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 13:09 by Plink.

Date: May 28, 2015 12:49

On accounts of confidentiality he won't be able to comply. cool smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 28, 2015 12:56

Some seems to think that I should be at service at all times. Well I am highly available, also highly communicating, but I do still have a private life. Enjoy the Stones, but please do not expect me to post everything I know, hear, see and think. Don't expect me to post at all times, I am just one of many. Also I am private. Thanks for the understanding, for those who understand.

Bjornulf

Date: May 28, 2015 13:01

I have been 'California Dreamin' from London, following the excitement of the past week online and enjoying the dramas and reports from these 3 shows. It seems that for many, the Fonda gig was right up there as one of the best, but then came along the Belly Up 'secret gig/party/show'........was that even better?! Man, what next?

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 28, 2015 13:07

bv
Some seems to think that I should be at service at all times. Well I am highly available, also highly communicating, but I do still have a private life. Enjoy the Stones, but please do not expect me to post everything I know, hear, see and think. Don't expect me to post at all times, I am just one of many. Also I am private. Thanks for the understanding, for those who understand.

BV,
Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems like your post ^^^ may possibly be in response to the questions I posted above. If so, please know that I was not asking you those questions. My post was directed specifically to onlystones - I was asking him those questions. It was a direct reply to his post offering to share details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 13:07 by Plink.

Date: May 28, 2015 13:14

Nikkei
Crawdaddy, I admire your attitude. I feel the adrenaline boost, but not necessesarily in a positive way.

Whenever The Rolling Stones are on tour, I have a very positive attitude in every way, especially if I am going to gigs.

For most fans ,if price is too high, go for a lower price level or Lucky Dip.
That's my attitude anyway.

I have never failed to get a ticket at face value, and always got one even on day of gig as happened in Madrid last year.

The Stones are a business and what they do with tix prices or private gigs for $2 million or more is up to them.

In my mind,if I put in the effort,I'm gonna get 'Satisfaction'.
Any fan ,even with limited finances can see The Stones if they really want to.

I had great Lucky Dip tix for Oslo and Zurich last year and out of interest, half hour ago , just tried LD for Columbus, and after 15 minute wait could have got two tix for $79 and will call at stadium.

To see The Rolling Stones anywhere in a stadium is worth $39.50. smileys with beer

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 28, 2015 13:27

onlystones

You got in! Way to go! This is a lesson in determination, positive thinking and good karma. I love it!hot smiley

CE smoking smiley

Posted by: MRAmandaJones ()
Date: May 28, 2015 13:29

drbryant
Turner68
GlimmerGirl24
Turner68
Nikkei

For the Licks Tour, the first site rumored for the belgian concert was Koening Boudwijn Stadium. This rumor was removed and finaly a concert was lately scheduled at Werchter a the end of the european leg.

A the time, I heard that, considering the amount of money asked by the band and the capacity of the stadium (approx. 50.000), the promoter considered that ickets price should have been too expensive for the local market.

So, the promoter decided to move the concerts to Werchter because it was cheapper than to rent the Koening Boudwijn Stadium and he could sell more tickets (capacity of more than 70.000).

I think the deal is: the band asks XXX $ or € and the promoter makes his own deal to make profits...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home