Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 40
Re: Petco Review by Chris Epting (hbwriter)
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 26, 2015 10:43

ROPENI
This review is worth reading,in all honesty l did not think much of this tour,except as a cash cow for the band, one perhaps last attempt to grab lots of cash from the faithful

I don't buy the cash cow argument. Thye still do it cause they want to do it. Thye'd make almost as much money by selling a bunch of their classic songs for commercials.
No I think they still got the kicks from playing live. Thye wouldn't doit for free but I'm sure they could do it for less dough.

Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 26, 2015 10:45

So I'm still waiting for Stones2000 to testify. Your very first Stones show, how was it?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 26, 2015 10:58

bv
The IORR reports pages has finally been updated:

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks, interesting review by Dean Goodman as always, good points about the truncated GS and CYHMK and Denson's solo that struck me as lacking a lot in the "groove" department...Apparently Dean Goodman was at the Fonda, too bad he didn't review it.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: May 26, 2015 11:03

The Hollywood Reporter seemed to have enjoyed the concert.

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 26, 2015 11:04

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 12:55 by Leonioid.

Re: Petco Review by Chris Epting (hbwriter)
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 26, 2015 11:07

ROPENI
Officially it was a sold out,but tickets were available at Stubhubs,to the last minute,at reduced prices....

Ropeni means that prices were reduced lower than previously, but still nothing near face value, except seats in Section 129. I was monitoring this show because I wanted to go, but was disappointed by the high prices and poor seats being offered in the "VIP" packages. I eventually gave up, but checked Stubhub right around 6:00 p.m., I believe, and there were about 240 tickets still listed, 47 of them were in Section 129, which had just been opened the prior day by the venue. There were seats in the 300 section starting from $189, and in the 100's the lowest price I could find was $374 (nearly double face price). On the floor, Sections A1, 2, 7 and 8 had a few seats left, lowest price was in the $600's. The small handful of pairs left in the middle sections A 3-6, which extend from screen to screen, were all over $1000.

As far as I know, these choice seats never showed up at the box office (have not confirmed they even sold tickets), or on tickets.com (the only purchases reported were of production seats behind home plate after installation of the lighting towers, and "companion seats" in the disabled viewer sections). Anyone know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 11:08 by drbryant.

Posted by: runrudolph ()

dougingb
Good review from the LA Times!

[www.latimes.com]

Great Read !!
Jeroen

Posted by: Nikkei ()

Look at Mick spitting hard at 0:53 what's the matter, caught fur in yer mouth? >grinning smiley<

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 14:41 by Nikkei.

Date: May 26, 2015 11:58

«When a Rolling Stone does tumble, for example, it’s from a coconut tree, not off a bicycle».

LOL! grinning smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 26, 2015 12:11

Thanks a lot for posting this. Can't You Hear Me Knocking sounds fantastic.

Date: May 26, 2015 12:16

I don't think I have ever heard a better version of CYHMK, where the whole band is killing it.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 26, 2015 13:56

Ronnie cant play Taylors solo. He fumbles. He has no idea where to go with the solo. He has to practice more and come up with something of his own I think. Or they could just let Taylor play with them again on these numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 13:57 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: May 26, 2015 13:58

The rest of the band sounds good though.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:03

Which song did Keith play the sunburst LP JR in San Diego?

Date: May 26, 2015 14:31

Redhotcarpet
Ronnie cant play Taylors solo. He fumbles. He has no idea where to go with the solo. He has to practice more and come up with something of his own I think. Or they could just let Taylor play with them again on these numbers.

He didn't try, either. I like his approach: theme, wailing, riff, theme, wailing, riff. It worked lovely after Denson's solo. And it didn't drag out for too long.

Actually, there is a structure there, if you listen and don't expect note for note from the studio version or a stretched out Taylor-approach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 14:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:31

Well if you read the reviews of Dean Goodman and Jeff Kopp it sounds like they were on two different gigs on two different planet.
Both very very good writers with fantastic reviews in the last 15 years seem
to have a total different experience.
And it shows:
Everybody has his own thing with the Stones.
There can´t and will be ever a common sense.
Which is good.
Because it rocks.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:57

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

He didn't try, either. I like his approach: theme, wailing, riff, theme, wailing, riff. It worked lovely after Denson's solo. And it didn't drag out for too long.

Actually, there is a structure there, if you listen and don't expect note for note from the studio version or a stretched out Taylor-approach.

Here we go again with the Ronnie bashing. Strange some people never seem to understand that Ronnie is a bandmember and Mick Taylor is not. He had his time
with the band 2012-2014 but now it´s over. Ronnie never tried to play any of MT:s solos, he plays with his own style and he does it fantastic. Why even bother go to any of the shows if someone can´t stand Ronnie? Then stay home and listen to Brussels Affair and remember past times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 14:58 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: May 26, 2015 15:13

It's weird how people feel obliged to bring out the microscope and compare every detail, instead of just enjoying a GREAT version of CYHMK.

I, for one, have never heard Mick sing it this brilliantly. Keith was really on with the riffing. Karl brought new life to the song and Ronnie absolutely killed it,

A five star version. thumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:24

Agree with you there Bard. smileys with beer

Date: May 26, 2015 15:28

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

No theres no structure in his solo except for the parts he tries to copy from Taylors original solo. C'mon dont tell me you cant hear that. Ad lib is something else.

Date: May 26, 2015 15:30

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

No theres no structure in his solo except for the parts he tries to copy from Taylors original solo. C'mon dont tell me you cant hear that. Ad lib is something else.

I'm telling you it is.

You should hear that he is using SOME of Taylor's parts for something - not merely trying to copy his parts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 15:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:40

just listened to Moonlight Mile... Wow! Sounds so beautiful, all that echo on Mick's voice, sensitive playing from Chuck. I'd love to have been there, with the california night breeze.

Keep this for Mexico please!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:54

The show looks and sound great. Ronnie is playing wonderful. However, you can admire the current show and still miss the musical and historical contributions of Mick Taylor - that's where I am. Missing Mick will not stop me from catching three shows - Dallas, Atlanta and Orlando. Very happy to see a full house in San Diego - hoping for the same in Big D.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 16:26

great

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 26, 2015 16:27

Here a page with almost the full setlist via YouTube videos - only Slipping Away is still missing. Let's hope that one will be uploaded soon, too.

San Diego, May 24, 2015

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:08

Sourced from the IORR thread [www.iorr.org] ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:27

sounds a good show, slightly Vegas'y but ok
Just need a Lead guitarist who can do more than sustain/hammer on/off's.. smileys with beer

Being serious though
I just dont get why Wood can sound so invigorating and fresh exciting with for eg Taylor just before this tour, yet sound half the player with the Stones?

Its like he looses years of playing knowledge/flair/fret nimbleness and ends up fumbling/fudging/dumning down to a more workman like lead, he plays within himself compared to the recent Woods/Taylor gig(s) where he played with more verve/skill/quality

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:28

excellent pictures thanks top all for posting them

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:29

I agree that Can't You Hear Me Knocking was pretty solid in SD.
It seems like they are all confident with the song now, in 2013 it didn't seem that to me. Mick's singing is excellent. In 2013 Mick he seemed to have some pitch problems - now he leaves the 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' mainly to Lisa and Bernard but sings the rest better.
Can't agree with Redhotcarpet that Ronnie has no idea where to go with the solo. Like Karl does with Bobby's Solo he takes some important phrases from the original solo and builds his own on that. And I actually like that it's shorter, so it doesn't get boring. Of course he isn't that virtuoso on guitar like Mick Taylor is, but I think his playing is much more solid that what Taylor did in 2013.

Date: May 26, 2015 17:35

Captainchaos
sounds a good show, slightly Vegas'y but ok
Just need a Lead guitarist who can do more than sustain/hammer on/off's.. smileys with beer

Being serious though
I just dont get why Wood can sound so invigorating and fresh exciting with for eg Taylor just before this tour, yet sound half the player with the Stones?

Its like he looses years of playing knowledge/flair/fret nimbleness and ends up fumbling/fudging/dumning down to a more workman like lead, he plays within himself compared to the recent Woods/Taylor gig(s) where he played with more verve/skill/quality

Me neither, because he doesn't. He sounded great, as most people who attended the show already have pointed out, including Lisa.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2240
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home