Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13
Re: The Rolling Stones - The Marquee - Live In 1971 new release !
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:32

Doxa
EasterMan
Maybe they can add an audio track to this release without Taylors guitar in the mix for more pleasant listening? smiling smiley

Yeah, call it a SENSITIVE WOODIST EDIT.

Or even better, they could add to any Rollng Stones product from 1969 to 1974 a warning: Be aware: this might contain guitar work that doesn't fit to the educated (post -75) Rolling Stones guitar fan boy taste, and it might be found annoying....

- Doxa

Excellent idea!

Woody's fans, it seems, are not able to get over the fact that he had his best moments with the Stones already between 1975 to 1982. Since then, he just played the second fiddle to Keith and his solos usually just suck. Good enough to fill out the sound, but usually desastrous when a song requires a decent guitar solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 22:16 by retired_dog.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:38

In the immortal words of Chet Flippo "I would rather see the Rolling Stones on a bad night than Bruce Springsteen on a good night" in reply to someone who suggested the Stones were not comparing well to Bruce in 1978 when they were touring in support of Some Girls. In fairness to Bruce, 1978 was one of his best years as a touring act and he did five FM simulcasts on that tour and most of them (Passaic in particular IMHO) showed why he attracted so much attention. However, Mr. Flippo summed up what many on this board probably feel and with the Marquee gig, many of us might think that this was the Rolling Stones on a bad night. However, the audio on the Dead Flowers clip is a considerable upgrade and I think it might rehabilitate some of those perceptions we have. That certainly happened with me when they used the stereo Mobile Truck audio for the L.A. 1975 DVD. That show sounds so much better to me than it ever did as a bootleg and perhaps, for some, the same thing will happen with the Marquee DVD.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:11

Compared to the studio version the latter sounds flat and lazy, missing the punch this live version surely has. Not missing the rather dominant piano for a second. Besides, on the studio version Bill has been done short.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:24

claudine
front DVD artwork

Somebody from the band is missing on this cover. Hmmmm. Anybody know if that one/fifth of the band was in the original photo?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:39

24FPS
claudine
front DVD artwork

Somebody from the band is missing on this cover. Hmmmm. Anybody know if that one/fifth of the band was in the original photo?

No he wasn't, that's handy, eh?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: April 9, 2015 19:51

Deltics
24FPS

He was standing way too far to the right ...

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 20:28

kleermaker
Deltics
24FPS

He was standing way too far to the right ...

Same situation with the cover for the L&GTRS dvd. Although they did make up for it on that with the inside cover photo where Bill is in the fore front. Let's see if they do the same with this release.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 9, 2015 20:49

I always think the worst night, or day, that the Stones performed on was the 1969 Hyde Park gig. The Marquee must be some improvement on that.

Posted by: hypnohighball ()
Date: April 9, 2015 21:59

barbabang
I see no reason that Brussel will not be released in the big markets Europe and USA. Question of time.

This. I'm not paying the big bucks to Japan, sorry.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 9, 2015 23:34

MingSubu
nankerphlege
This looks great! Not to side track too much but what pickup was in Keef's DA? It didn't look like one of the stock ones.

Isn't is just the stock, slide-in humbucker?

I just watched the video again and it is not the standard pickup. Modified perhaps? Go to 1:39 and it shows a white pickup. OK is this a trick of the light (doesn't look that way) or a modded pickup or something else? It also looks like it has pole pieces instead of the standard line of the da rock pickup.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 9, 2015 23:51

Mathijs
Than my biggest gripe: somebody should have slapped Mick Taylor in the face: stop that bloody, useless and pointless noodling!!! It's goddamn awful! Take Dead Flowers: how many times can you play that same pentatonic lick with those dreadful hammer-ons over and over? The double stop country bend is great, but not 34 times in the same song!
Mathijs

Couldn't agree more thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
I usually like the guitar work of taylor, particularly on Exile and Sticky, but on that Dead Flowers Version it's really just pointless noddling without
much excitement, and it doesn't match very well to Jaggers singing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 23:54 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: April 10, 2015 00:16

StonedRambler
Mathijs
Than my biggest gripe: somebody should have slapped Mick Taylor in the face: stop that bloody, useless and pointless noodling!!! It's goddamn awful! Take Dead Flowers: how many times can you play that same pentatonic lick with those dreadful hammer-ons over and over? The double stop country bend is great, but not 34 times in the same song!
Mathijs

I usually like the guitar work of taylor, particularly on Exile and Sticky, but on that Dead Flowers Version it's really just pointless noddling without

Really like his melodic guitar playing on DFsmiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2015 00:20

kevinkamphuis
StonedRambler
Mathijs
Mathijs

Really like his melodic guitar playing on DFsmiling smiley

ME TOO!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 10, 2015 11:52

nankerphlege
MingSubu
nankerphlege
This looks great! Not to side track too much but what pickup was in Keef's DA? It didn't look like one of the stock ones.

Isn't is just the stock, slide-in humbucker?

I just watched the video again and it is not the standard pickup. Modified perhaps? Go to 1:39 and it shows a white pickup. OK is this a trick of the light (doesn't look that way) or a modded pickup or something else? It also looks like it has pole pieces instead of the standard line of the da rock pickup.

It's a prototype Sustain Treble pickup with the white rasin that crumbled to fast. Infromation is very scarce, but it seems Richards got a prototype Dan Armstrong with a very fat neck that he liked very much. I am not certain wich pickup came along with that guitar -there's pictures of the 69 tour with both the ST pickup, but also with the standard Rock Treble single coil pickup.

From 1970 on he used two Dan Armstrongs -one with the white prototype humbucker, and one with the RT pickup.

Mathijs

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 10, 2015 12:01

Lien

Splendid, Taylor throws in all the licks this song deserves.

Date: April 10, 2015 12:03

LuxuryStones
Lien

Splendid, Taylor throws in all the licks this song deserves.

To quote one of your earlier posts (on a similar song): "A wedding band-rhythm" deserves that much soloing? winking smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 10, 2015 13:22

Don't follow my posts, I might change like the weather winking smiley

Date: April 10, 2015 14:50

LuxuryStones
Don't follow my posts, I might change like the weather winking smiley

Ha ha! Maybe the name does, but not the heart thumbs up

To nuance this a bit, Taylor plays brilliantly, of course, but it is too much for me - for a song like this anyway smiling smiley

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: April 10, 2015 14:52

hypnohighball
barbabang
I see no reason that Brussel will not be released in the big markets Europe and USA. Question of time.

This. I'm not paying the big bucks to Japan, sorry.

Nothing is free in life, only the sun and the moon.
If you want something, you have to pay for it. If you don't want to do that, than you don't have it. Simple as it is.

Now you don't have to buy that rediculous expensive Brussels Affair box anymore, to own Brussel and you still complain.

I bought the super expensive Ward Hampton and L.A. boxsets, both cost me 250 euro, but I don't regret it, because it are among the most beautifull Stones items I own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-10 14:55 by GJV.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 10, 2015 15:17

It looks like those japanese editions (with Brussels) are very limited. Two days ago I ordered this:

[www.cdjapan.co.jp] (Marquee-DVD, CD Marquee und 2 CDs Brussels)

and today it says "out of print". So, if you see other editions with Brussels, hurry up! They might sell out very fast ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-10 16:21 by muenke.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 10, 2015 15:39

muenke
It looks like those japanese editions (with Brussels) are very limitid. Two days ago I ordered this:

[www.cdjapan.co.jp] (Marquee-DVD, CD Marquee und 2 CDs Brussels)

and today it says "out of print". So, if you see other editions with Brussels, hurry up! They might sell out very fast ...
Right. But there is always a hope that they will give the same box to the ROW. And it will be a bit different in terms of price than those Japanese editions.

So lets just wait another 10-20 years.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 10, 2015 15:48

DandelionPowderman

To nuance this a bit, Taylor plays brilliantly, of course, but it is too much for me - for a song like this anyway smiling smiley

With the new stereo mix, one can turn the volume of the left speaker down a bit, and
focus on the lovely harmony vocals by Keith and Bill's great bass playing, that make
this song really enjoyable.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 10, 2015 15:49

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

With the new stereo mix, one can turn the volume of the left speaker down a bit, and
focus on the lovely harmony vocals by Keith and Bill's great bass playing, that make

smiling smiley

Date: April 10, 2015 17:06

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

One could even turn it off.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:15

Great, can't wait for this! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:17

Mathijs

From 1970 on he used two Dan Armstrongs -one with the white prototype humbucker, and one with the RT pickup.

Mathijs

Were they both stolen in the great Nellcote heist?

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:30

Regarding the "too much noodling" vs "really like his melodic playing.." debate, I have to say agree with both. It really is over-noodling on MT's part, but that said, I like it in this version. I like the over-noodling! And I am not a fan of endless Grateful Dead/ Phish noodlefests... I just love the sound of MT's guitar, and I love how different it makes the '71 live versions, and I love his over-noodling on all the '72/ '73 live stuff too. I enjoy the Stones playing out-of-tune, over-noodling, too fast/ too slow live performances from '69 to '75. I always have. Laziness is part of the Stones live sound, and I like it. Or at least I like how it manifested itself back in the early 70's.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 10, 2015 17:41

Tate
Regarding the "too much noodling" vs "really like his melodic playing.." debate, I have to say agree with both. It really is over-noodling on MT's part, but that said, I like it in this version. I like the over-noodling! And I am not a fan of endless Grateful Dead/ Phish noodlefests... I just love the sound of MT's guitar, and I love how different it makes the '71 live versions, and I love his over-noodling on all the '72/ '73 live stuff too. I enjoy the Stones playing out-of-tune, over-noodling, too fast/ too slow live performances from '69 to '75. I always have. Laziness is part of the Stones live sound, and I like it. Or at least I like how it manifested itself back in the early 70's.

thumbs up

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 10, 2015 20:56

muenke
Tate

thumbs up

Agreed. This is exactly my take on my favorite era of my favorite band.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: April 10, 2015 22:06

blivet
muenke
Tate

thumbs up

Agreed. This is exactly my take on my favorite era of my favorite band.

thumbs upagreed

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home