Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: The Rolling Stones - The Marquee - Live In 1971 new release !
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:25

Mathijs
kleermaker
with sssoul

But to whoever it was up there who said it's a great version of Rambler:
In fact it's a rare sighting of a ridiculous Ramblers, due to all the screw-ups.
Even the band cracks up (well, except for Mick T who's acting like he doesn't know these other cats). :E

Must have been me. I love the Marquee Rambler and it's really good. Mark my words and try to refute them when the DVD release, with its outstanding audio quality (assuming all songs are in the same audio quality as this Dead Flowers) is there. All those claiming for years that the Marquee is a lame gig will be proven wrong and I'm already having fun about that.

I have stated Marquee is a lame gig since the first time I saw it in 1983. And as a matter of fact, I will make another statement right here: it's probably the worst gig the Stones have done in their carreer (together with the Beacon theater shows for SAL).

Sure, the video footage looks brilliant now, but now it mainly shows a band in really, really bad shape, and much like a parody. It's very Spinal Tap the way they look -all dressed up ready to deliver a fantastic show, only to find out it's actually only your mum and sister in the audience on the couch.

Then the music. It's awful. They're out of tune for just about all tracks. And it's not only Richards, it's also Wyman who's not tuned properly throughout the gig. I don't know what Taylor and Watts smoked before the gig, but they sure do pretend to be somewhere else than on a stage with a band. This is just a bloody ramshackle band, really on the verge of a breakdown. And Jagger knows it, but he also knows that he can't save it. His stage presence is that of acting to be Mick Jagger the Rockstar, but it looks ridiculous.

Than my biggest gripe: somebody should have slapped Mick Taylor in the face: stop that bloody, useless and pointless noodling!!! It's goddamn awful! Take Dead Flowers: how many times can you play that same pentatonic lick with those dreadful hammer-ons over and over? The double stop country bend is great, but not 34 times in the same song!

Ok. I am relaxed now.

It's a bloody awful gig. That's what I wanted to say.

Mathijs

When Matijs is writing like this about a show from the Taylor era it must be very good indeed!

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:26

Does CD Japan charge your card immediately for pre-orders or when they ship?

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:33

kowalski
Never understood why they had to have Brussels on 2 CD's... The show is 79 min. long and could fit easely on one CD.
Is it possible that this set includes both Brussels performances?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:43

bonddm
kowalski
Never understood why they had to have Brussels on 2 CD's... The show is 79 min. long and could fit easely on one CD.
Is it possible that this set includes both Brussels performances?

Sadly not, it's as kowalski says, they've inexplicably put it onto two discs.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:44

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
kleermaker
with sssoul

In fact it's a rare sighting of a ridiculous Ramblers, due to all the screw-ups.
Even the band cracks up (well, except for Mick T who's acting like he doesn't know these other cats). :E

Must have been me. I love the Marquee Rambler and it's really good. Mark my words and try to refute them when the DVD release, with its outstanding audio quality (assuming all songs are in the same audio quality as this Dead Flowers) is there. All those claiming for years that the Marquee is a lame gig will be proven wrong and I'm already having fun about that.

I have stated Marquee is a lame gig since the first time I saw it in 1983. And as a matter of fact, I will make another statement right here: it's probably the worst gig the Stones have done in their carreer (together with the Beacon theater shows for SAL).

Sure, the video footage looks brilliant now, but now it mainly shows a band in really, really bad shape, and much like a parody. It's very Spinal Tap the way they look -all dressed up ready to deliver a fantastic show, only to find out it's actually only your mum and sister in the audience on the couch.

Then the music. It's awful. They're out of tune for just about all tracks. And it's not only Richards, it's also Wyman who's not tuned properly throughout the gig. I don't know what Taylor and Watts smoked before the gig, but they sure do pretend to be somewhere else than on a stage with a band. This is just a bloody ramshackle band, really on the verge of a breakdown. And Jagger knows it, but he also knows that he can't save it. His stage presence is that of acting to be Mick Jagger the Rockstar, but it looks ridiculous.

Than my biggest gripe: somebody should have slapped Mick Taylor in the face: stop that bloody, useless and pointless noodling!!! It's goddamn awful! Take Dead Flowers: how many times can you play that same pentatonic lick with those dreadful hammer-ons over and over? The double stop country bend is great, but not 34 times in the same song!

Ok. I am relaxed now.

Mathijs

I'll have to agree with all of this. You will buy it anyway, right, Mathijs? smiling smiley

Er, uhm, yes.

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2015 14:47

jlowe
I wonder what Mick T and Bill stand to earn from this release?

Just about nothing.

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2015 14:51

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
kleermaker
with sssoul

Ok. I am relaxed now.

Mathijs

I'll have to agree with all of this. You will buy it anyway, right, Mathijs? smiling smiley

Er, uhm, yes.

Mathijs

Sterkte dan Mattijs! Because you'll hear that boring Taylor all over Midnight Rambler and Brown Sugar too. He even plays some lousy licks on I Got The Blues, and of course very bad rhythm guitar on Bitch, Satisfaction, Let It Rock and Live With Me. Don't we all know that he's a pain in the ass as a rhythm guitarist and as a lead guitarist noodles the same patterns over and over again, overplaying of course as well? I wouldn't buy it if I were you. It would make you mad again and ruin your days.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:53

Maybe they can add an audio track to this release without Taylors guitar in the mix for more pleasant listening? smiling smiley

Date: April 9, 2015 14:55

LuxuryStones

Hey! Lost your (Stones) tongue Luxury? You urged me to come back here and now I'm back you're swallowing your own words. That's not fair.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 9, 2015 14:59

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

Hey! Lost your (Stones) tongue Luxury? You urged me to come back here and now I'm back you're swallowing your own words. That's not fair.

Don't take things personal. All my comments about Taylor's contributions etc with the Stones are superfluous by now. I think I made my points clearly enough, in the past and now. winking smiley Costed me 3 nicknames for different reasons.

Date: April 9, 2015 15:03

It will be fun to get this show, but the show I'm really looking forward to is the Roundhouse show (5 tracks), as I know that one features the whole band on top form thumbs up

All Stones shows are great in one way or another, we're talking nuances here – everybody should keep that in mind. Nobody is saying that they'll prefer a Wham-show to Marquee - only that it isn't our favourite band's proudest moment.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 9, 2015 15:08

jlowe
I wonder what Mick T and Bill stand to earn from this release?

Just about nothing.

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs - hope MT's noodling is not ruining your day - Why are MT and Wyman getting nothing for the LIVE releases not the reissue of SF.

You realize Keith and Ronnie have been NOODLING since they went VEGAS.
Thanks

peace

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: April 9, 2015 15:08

EasterMan
Maybe they can add an audio track to this release without Taylors guitar in the mix for more pleasant listening? smiling smiley
Or get Wayne Perkins to overdub over Taylor's parts?!

Date: April 9, 2015 15:19

OpenG

You realize Keith and Ronnie have been NOODLING since they went VEGAS.
Thanks

Sure. And that's why I don't listen to post-1990 Stones.

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2015 15:20

DandelionPowderman
It will be fun to get this show, but the show I'm really looking forward to is the Roundhouse show (5 tracks), as I know that one features the whole band on top form thumbs up

Judging from the audience recording The Roundhouse is a shit hot show, so I am really looking forward to it!

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2015 15:25

kleermaker
Mathijs

Sterkte dan Mattijs! Because you'll hear that boring Taylor all over Midnight Rambler and Brown Sugar too. He even plays some lousy licks on I Got The Blues, and of course very bad rhythm guitar on Bitch, Satisfaction, Let It Rock and Live With Me. Don't we all know that he's a pain in the ass as a rhythm guitarist and as a lead guitarist noodles the same patterns over and over again, overplaying of course as well? I wouldn't buy it if I were you. It would make you mad again and ruin your days.[/quote]

All tracks you mentioned suck on this release. Midnight Rambler is laughable, I Got The Blues is out of tune and Jagger can't reach the high notes, the groove of Bitch is so bad they needed to restart it three times, and the others are just painful.

Look, Keith was falling apart. And in those days he still was the absolute driver of the band. If Keith had a good night, the band had a good night. And Keith had one of his worst nights here. If you like the noodling of Taylor, fine by me. I don't like it at all.

Mathijs

Date: April 9, 2015 15:47

Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs

Sterkte dan Mattijs! Because you'll hear that boring Taylor all over Midnight Rambler and Brown Sugar too. He even plays some lousy licks on I Got The Blues, and of course very bad rhythm guitar on Bitch, Satisfaction, Let It Rock and Live With Me. Don't we all know that he's a pain in the ass as a rhythm guitarist and as a lead guitarist noodles the same patterns over and over again, overplaying of course as well? I wouldn't buy it if I were you. It would make you mad again and ruin your days.

All tracks you mentioned suck on this release. Midnight Rambler is laughable, I Got The Blues is out of tune and Jagger can't reach the high notes, the groove of Bitch is so bad they needed to restart it three times, and the others are just painful.

Look, Keith was falling apart. And in those days he still was the absolute driver of the band. If Keith had a good night, the band had a good night. And Keith had one of his worst nights here. If you like the noodling of Taylor, fine by me. I don't like it at all.

Mathijs[/quote]

I really don't understand that you'll buy it. I didn't buy any of the Ronnie era live DVD's because I don't like them at all and because they're too much sub par, especially compared to the Taylor era live documents (alas mostly boots, but though). My guess is you're disagreeably surprised by the good quality of both the video and audio quality and that it's hard for you to revise your old opinion publicly. But let's wait and see (hear) when the DVD is released.

Date: April 9, 2015 15:50

If you are a collector and a Stones fan, kleerie, you'll buy the stuff smiling smiley

Date: April 9, 2015 15:54

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Judging from the audience recording The Roundhouse is a shit hot show, so I am really looking forward to it!

Mathijs

Beware for the noodling, Taylor is playing on it!

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 9, 2015 15:57

kleermaker
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Mathijs

winking smiley

Date: April 9, 2015 16:00

kleermaker
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Mathijs

Sometimes he really makes a point, too, like on the RH show winking smiley

Date: April 9, 2015 16:16

DandelionPowderman
If you are a collector and a Stones fan, kleerie, you'll buy the stuff smiling smiley

Sorry Dandy, I love the songs, at least until Tattoo You, and even a couple from SG, but I can't stand the lousy live playing by the Stones since the Wood-era. Believe me, I've tried very hard. I've even seen them live twice, in 1976 and 1982. But it sucked for me, very disappointing.

Musically it's beyond me, the air guitar playing, the posing, the smoking on stage, the lack of melody, the campy way of singing. And these days it's not even a band anymore, with all the back up musicians, a musical director from outside, playing pling pling. I've really tried, but I really don't like it.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 9, 2015 16:17

kleermaker
Mathijs
kleermaker
with sssoul

Ok. I am relaxed now.

Mathijs

When Matijs is writing like this about a show from the Taylor era it must be very good indeed!

Good or not or just not their very best gig, but what Mathijs writes is totally over the top and as such, just nonsense.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 9, 2015 16:46

This great live clip brings back some memoriessmiling smiley looking forward the vinyl and I'm still waiting for the Rotterdam 73 release.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: April 9, 2015 16:54

Not sure why we're getting an audio soundtrack cd for this release, but we never got one with L&GTRS which is a MUCH better performance.

I still want a 1972 live album!!! (Brussels 73 does not make up for it)

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:01

desertblues68
Only 8 songs they have to give us some extras features. I will buy anyway as I am totally addicted to this band!smileys with beer

Think this is going to be part of STICKY FINGERS rerelease packagedrinking smiley

Date: April 9, 2015 17:03

bestfour
desertblues68
Only 8 songs they have to give us some extras features. I will buy anyway as I am totally addicted to this band!smileys with beer

Think this is going to be part of STICKY FINGERS rerelease packagedrinking smiley

There are 8 songs + the outtakes, and, no, this is a separate release from Eagle Rock.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:06

palerider22
CousinC
How come in 71 nobody was excited about this? Not the press, not the fans, not the Stones.
It's a real nice flashback to watch now - but no way it's the Stones of 71/72 in excellent form.

Well...I was a fan in '71 and quite honestly we didn't know it exited until the weekend bootleg 'shows/fairs' started up around here in Toronto in the '80's.

In Europe it was sceened in TV in many countries. Others didn't buy it, cause they found it too bad.
We had a fanclub in those years and most fans were disapointed with this show.
For their early 70's standard it just wasn't good.
Another show the Stones themselves didn't talk about much afterwards.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 9, 2015 17:35

EasterMan

Yeah, call it a SENSITIVE WOODIST EDIT.

Or even better, they could add to any Rollng Stones product from 1969 to 1974 a warning: Be aware: this might contain guitar work that doesn't fit to the educated (post -75) Rolling Stones guitar fan boy taste, and it might be found annoying....

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 17:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:08

CousinC
palerider22
CousinC
How come in 71 nobody was excited about this? Not the press, not the fans, not the Stones.
It's a real nice flashback to watch now - but no way it's the Stones of 71/72 in excellent form.

Well...I was a fan in '71 and quite honestly we didn't know it exited until the weekend bootleg 'shows/fairs' started up around here in Toronto in the '80's.

In Europe it was sceened in TV in many countries. Others didn't buy it, cause they found it too bad.
We had a fanclub in those years and most fans were disapointed with this show.
For their early 70's standard it just wasn't good.
Another show the Stones themselves didn't talk about much afterwards.

There was not much info around at the time like nowadays and even some of the bootlegs were a gamble concerning the songs and quality. The 73 concert I attended was loud with a crazy audience, not the same thing as the Marquee but still looking forward to it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home