Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: winter ()
Date: April 26, 2015 09:49

NICOS

Piano break at 2:20 onward. Amazing how non-plinky Chuck can sound when he uses a real piano, huh? The world would be a slightly better place had he or someone in the Stones' organization insisted in 1989 that the RS always toured with at least one real acoustic piano. Lives might have been saved.

Now back to Mick Taylor thread talk...In lieu of the 2013 club version of LIV not readily surfacing, the 50th anniversary boot I've always wanted to hear was MT warming up backstage playing along to the dozen or so songs before he came out for MR. That would be a fun recreational recording someone should have made.

Best wishes for MT's 2015, whatever it brings.

Date: April 26, 2015 10:36

DoomandGloom
I've been searching MR from the last tour, there are some amazing Taylor moments. Every one is different, MT really dared them to be adventurous, the band was not up for it. Chuck, I'll never figure out but the criticism is fair. This show is designed for seeing once, those that follow the tour should accept that and not get irked by redundancy.

The band also played it differently every night. That's because of Keith. He still leads that track. If he wants certain sections to be longer, they will be longer.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 26, 2015 11:48

Winter, sure, better sound but still - and I hate saying this because I love the US and everything American and some of the country music - it sounds too midwest country and western for my taste. Too much like something youll hear on a radio in a diner in the midwest in 1982.

Theories About Mick Taylor Not Playing on the USA Tour
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 26, 2015 03:33

I have seen the Stones five times since this date but have never heard Mick Taylor play. I was hoping he would play with them this time around but he is not. I was really hoping he would be there so my wife and I could hear him. Here are some ideas:

He asked for much more money than the other Stones were willing to pay.

He is afraid of flying.

He has become ill (he has had to cancel concerts before due to illness).

The Stones, especially Ron, resent his presence on stage, as Ronnie is accustomed to playing exclusively with Keith and Jagger.

Taylor has had a falling out with some of the band members.

Taylor has insisted that he be in more numbers, instead of the usual two or three, and the other men want to keep the format the same as before.

His guitar playing is not up to par.

Does anyone know why he will not be with the other Stones in the USA?

Re: Theories About Mick Taylor Not Playing on the USA Tour
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 26, 2015 03:37

flilflam, you might want to spend some time here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 26, 2015 04:18

flilflam
Does anyone know why he will not be with the other Stones in the USA?

Yes we all know why. He wasn't invited. None of the reasons you suggest are likely applicable.

The best minds in fandom have been discussing this in some detail on the thread latebloomer's post links to. As someone who has read it all and out of courtesy to you and to summarize I'll give you my best guess (before this thread gets merged into the other Taylor thread):

The Stones are not interested in carrying an ex-member around for another tour after doing it more than they originally intended on the last tour. They are comfortable with the current line up and don't see any value in adding another guitar player, no matter what his history with the band and Sticky Fingers record and no matter how good he plays. They never considered asking him to rejoin the band, and as a guest, he's had his One More Shot and they believe it was good enough for them, the fans and for Taylor. And finally they want to preserve the 40 year legacy of the Ron Wood years which represents the great majority of their professional careers.

peace

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 26, 2015 04:33

...and that's too bad...and sad.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 26, 2015 05:48

Some basic facts.

Mick Taylor quit and was replaced long ago.
The band graciously invited him to play with them again, not for any real personal gain, but likely more as an extended thank you to him and a way to throw him a few bucks and to help him re-kindle his career if he desired.

He was somewhat inconsistent and out of playing shape in his appearances.

He has had a reputation of being somewhat difficult over the years, and my hunch is he was no different during his (graciously) extended appearance with the stones.

The irony, to me, is that the person most likely responsible for Mick Taylor's absence from this tour, is Mick Taylor, yet everyone wants to trash Jagger.
The guy that pulled the trigger on having him come back in the first place. Doesn't make sense.

Date: April 26, 2015 06:22

MisterDDDD
The irony, to me, is that the person most likely responsible for Mick Taylor's absence from this tour, is Mick Taylor, yet everyone wants to trash Jagger.
The guy that pulled the trigger on having him come back in the first place. Doesn't make sense.
w\

Curious why you think Jagger was the one who "pulled the trigger" on Taylor's guest spot last tour? And if you believe he had that much control over the situation, why would it be ironic for others to believe he was responsible for Taylor's not being re-invited? I'm not suggesting you are right or wrong just pointing out the irony in your own statement.

But you are insinuating Taylor could have been re-invited but through some action or behavior of his own he wasn't..that he is personally responsible for not being invited. I tend to think he never stood a chance to play this tour and nothing he could have done would have changed it. It just wasn't the plan for reasons I have suggested above, imo.

peace

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2015 07:12

MisterDDDD
Mick Taylor quit and was replaced long ago.
The band graciously invited him to play with them again, not for any real personal gain, but likely more as an extended thank you to him and a way to throw him a few bucks and to help him re-kindle his career if he desired.

Its funny that I so strongly agree with the first part of your post and so vehemently disagree with the second.

I absolutely think he wasn't invited back because he quit the band 35 years ago and they threw him a bone by bringing him back. It worked for them as part of the 50th, and then an incentive for the tour, but the bottom line is they didn't have to do it even if it was deserved.

I disagree that he was inconsistent. I didn't hear, and if he was it was because he never really got a change to grow and get started as he only got one song per night to really flex his muscles. And another thing is he's playing like he's in a rock band not the Vegas Stones that have their clockwork motions. I also don't know anything about him being difficult and I find it hard to believe he gave them a hard time now. Maybe he was difficult back then, but I see nothing that suggests he was anything less than humble this go around. He went with what they gave him and there appears to be no instances of snarkiness or backtalk from him.

Having said that, I still contend the reason he's not back is because it was obviously just for this one tour. He isn't a Stone anymore and the last tour he was used as part of the celebration and a gimmick. It couldn't have been clearer that he wasn't coming back permanently and to assume he'd be back for all future tours was frankly misguided. He got one song a night. That said enough.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 26, 2015 07:33

These are not theories or ideas, just a bunch of totally made up stuff. The fact that you would say "the stones, especially Ronnie" resented his presence indicates you know very little about the Stones or Ronnie.

He was invited as a special guest for their 50th anniversary celebrations. Some people here reacted as if he was rejoining the band, that they would do a new album with him, orient the set around his presence, but it was never intended to be more than that.

There are no theories. His very limited role in the 50th anniversary tours ended and he is back to being a former band member.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2015 09:33

That's how deep I think it goes. He was part of the 50th and Counting Tour, and now that's done. They've moved on from all the celebrating the anniversary and they're into the next decade. It was probably Mick Jagger's decision to bring him on board, and Mick Jagger's decision, it there was one, not bring him back. They were generous to bring him back and let him get the promo time and money he did, but they're not generous enough to give him more numbers. Whatever novelty Mick Taylor provided has probably faded in the eyes of Mr. Jagger. It is now up to Mr. Taylor to capitalize on what the Stones gave him. His asking price and size of venue he could play should both increase. Or, if he could so get it together, he could be the opening act for a bigger concert draw.

Face it, what remains of the Stones doesn't give a toss about Mick Taylor, or the fans wanting him, and Bill, to get in the studio with them and make another decent album. They just don't care. They're into getting out there and raking in as much cash as possible before the touring gravy train ends. It's a trail they blazed and I don't blame them for milking it for all it's got. As long as they keep making archive releases I'll be happy.

Date: April 26, 2015 10:37

Why start another thread?

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 26, 2015 12:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 12:37 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 26, 2015 13:08

DandelionPowderman
Why start another thread?

Me I love this Stones/Taylor telenovela...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 13:24 by dcba.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 26, 2015 13:20

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 13:22 by LuxuryStones.

Date: April 26, 2015 13:39

I hope he goes solo and just plays focussed. He's playing beautiful here. Better than anything he did with the Stones on their last tour, imo.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: April 26, 2015 13:59

LuxuryStones

I hope he goes solo and just plays focussed. He's playing beautiful here. Better than anything he did with the Stones on their last tour, imo.

Totally agree. And the weird thing with this is they would have had hardly any rehearsal for this, and it is just sublime. The Stones could have used him so much better.

I hope he gets out and plays now with a good band and forgets about the practically anonymous Midnight Rambler guest spot. Of course, I'm not a professional musician so I have no idea how hard it is to go out and recoup costs and make some decent $$ when you're not in a monolithic juggernaut like the Stones, but I just hope his talents resurface soon..somewhere and somehow..

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 26, 2015 14:45

LuxuryStones

Yep, this is the old (or young) Taylor we recall from his heyday. He still can pull it off.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 26, 2015 14:45

A song like Shine A Light offers a much better outlet for Taylor's playing than one like Rambler, where he basically got to do an extended solo over a one-chord vamp. Nonetheless, I think he did very well in the circumstances and some of his playing was outstanding (some of it was just good, sure, but it's completely unreasonable to expect any soloist to be firing on all cylinders every single night).

Contrary to what a lot of people think about Taylor's penchant for long solos, I've always thought he was just as effective, if not more so, saying what he had to say in the space of a few measures. His solos with the Stones, whether live or in the studio, were never that long, and the live versions were only infrequently longer than the studio cuts. What distinguishes his playing is the musicality and his gift for reading a song, not the number of notes he played or the length of his solos. On which note, listen to this:

Date: April 26, 2015 15:13

Yep, Taylor won't be playing with the Stones anymore because it never was the intention of the Stones to do so. They used him, as said by other, well respected posters, just for the celebration tour, and even rather unpredictably during especially the American leg of the celebration tour (some Sways and Knockings).

But now it's over and more fans than supposed are disappointed about that. Naturalust, RollingFreak, Rokyfan and 24FPS have all said it clearly.

Now the question is if Taylor will do something on his own. It would be great if he had a good band and played many Stones tunes just like the way he played the solo of SAL as posted above. That would be something and the very most we could expect. But I don't think he'll do that, for whatever reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 15:21 by kleermaker.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 26, 2015 15:20

I really wish the term "use him" would be abandoned. It sounds as if Taylor was some inflatable dog from a previous tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-26 15:21 by Nikkei.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 26, 2015 15:24

Naturalust: Can I only imagine the contrary?

If you want to convince someone of Nicky Hopkins' greatness you just have to ask him what are his favourite rock records from the 60's-70's era. Then, hopefully, he will answer by giving the name of albums which have some stunning piano, harpsichord, (and more...) parts played by Hopkins. NOW, if YOU want to be convinced that "yeah, Chuck Leavell is the man", the ONLY answer you will probably get is: "WHAT? You never listened to 'Jessica' by the Allman Brothers Band?"

Date: April 26, 2015 16:16

kleermaker
LuxuryStones

Yep, this is the old (or young) Taylor we recall from his heyday. He still can pull it off.

Right, and for some strange reason people still want to see him with the Rolling Stones again. On a more personal note: I prefer the Roots above the stale sounding Rolling Stones. The Roots are a professional sounding band, they swing like hell.. Maybe Taylor heard this on a subconscious level; that might be one reason why he's playing great on the Fallon show.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 26, 2015 17:39

He played some songs with the Roots? Didn't know that, how weird! eye popping smiley

Not convinced by this performance, however, The Roots are a fantastic band. Since two weeks or more I am obsessed with their song 'Kool On' (unfortunately the whole album is not that great, definitely not a grower). Quite funny that this song is more soulful than almost all Keith Richards' riffs post-70's, even if, IMO, the main interest of the song is "only" a guitar sample!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 26, 2015 17:42

Does anyone know when Mick T. played live in the last three months?

Posted by: Nicodemus ()
Date: April 26, 2015 18:06

I've got a great idea!
Suppose MT forms a band. They can be the opening act for all the upcoming Stones shows.
Then, the Stones bring him out for 2 or 3 songs. Why the hell not.
I'm a genious!!

Date: April 26, 2015 18:31

stonesrule
Does anyone know when Mick T. played live in the last three months?

March 19, 2015 at a benefit concert for the Roundhouse Trust at the Roundhouse in London, England. That's is a far as I know.

peace

Date: April 26, 2015 20:08

RomanCandle
He played some songs with the Roots? Didn't know that, how weird! eye popping smiley

Not convinced by this performance, however, The Roots are a fantastic band. Since two weeks or more I am obsessed with their song 'Kool On' (unfortunately the whole album is not that great, definitely not a grower). Quite funny that this song is more soulful than almost all Keith Richards' riffs post-70's, even if, IMO, the main interest of the song is "only" a guitar sample!

Absolutely not weird, because he was a guest at the Jimmy Fallon show, and The Roots are Fallon's house band.

Go to YouTube to click the link (MT playing Can't You Hear Me Knocking with The Roots): [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 26, 2015 20:30

Yahoo! Was great to see that clip again of the Jimmy Fallon show. smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1970
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home