Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 307
Re: How can Stones Play All of Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor?
Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 11, 2015 20:46

They have been doing it for years.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 11, 2015 20:48

DandelionPowderman
duke richardson
RollingFreak
duke richardson
then why did they invite him for the 2012-14 shows, at all?
Because it was a 50th anniversary celebration and it was a gimmick that would get people to spend money on their tickets. If Bill Wyman would have done it, the Stones would have been even more thrilled. I think they thought of it as a good way to bury any hatchet that may still have been there from past decades and also a great way to market this tour as a "celebration" and "return" and "something new". Thats why they used him to his most minimal degree. Cause it wasn't about him. It was about what he represented FOR THEIR GAIN.

This can't be the first time most people are realizing this, right? I hate to sound so negative with the posts, but this IS how the Stones operate.

and for all the reasons you wrote- all the more argument for keeping him as a guest. and if 2 songs worked, why not an album..

I mean if it was to generate more sales, having MT for Sticky Fingers would generate even more..surely they've factored that in..

(unless they've got Bill to agree to play..not likely however)

We all love Taylor, but his participation doesn't generate more sales. It will sell out anyhow.

true DP, no question-

but aren't we discussing this from the point of view that having Taylor makes the whole band better, even with the limited involvement he gets?

i'd make that same comment to bv as well. of course the Rolling Stones have been fine since 1975, and after Bill retired, but then they had Mick Taylor back for a few tunes and it lit the band up..

why not keep that going..just seems kind of obvious doesn't it?

About Mick Taylor and Erwin Nijhoff
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 11, 2015 10:53

The only tracks I've ever heard from this collaboration (back in 2001, I think) are the acoustic versions of Dead Flowers, TWFNO, I Got The Blues etc, but I saw a photograph on MT's Facebook page from a couple of years later (2006, apparently) where he and Nijhoff are apparently soundchecking TWFNO onstage, and Taylor's playing electric. Are there any recordings of this?

Re: About Mick Taylor and Erwin Nijhoff
Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 11, 2015 12:55

Mick Taylor & Erwin Nijhoff in Ochten 2006

DVD;
[www.iorr.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-11 13:00 by Lien.

Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: March 11, 2015 14:00

Cool! I was there. A place in the middle of nowhere.
I also saw Mick once in Dongen with the Barry McCabe Band.
And look at Mick T. now....He travels around the world to play in big stadiums and festivals...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 11, 2015 14:23

Dongen is my hometown! I remember reading about his visit, but I live too far away to have been able to attend.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: March 11, 2015 16:31

Years ago I spoke with Mick T. in at a jamsession in a little pub here in Groningen.
I'm still feeling so stupid I didn't ask him if I could join him in a jam...

Dongen, I have some holiday-memories about some girls from Dongen... haha....

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: March 11, 2015 21:06

DandelionPowderman
duke richardson

He got 20 minutes on stage every night as a special guest. They (Mick?) might have thought that the fans of the old line up would be happy with it.

Stones fans are hard to please. Many prefer the Brian and Ronnie eras, and Mick knows this very well, of course.

I'm pretty sure most wouldn't mind ditching any lengthy solos or mid-show spotlight on MT. Just have have on stage adding some juice to all the songs...That's a pretty good compromise, I think. Just ask him to be on stage and contribute...no fanfare...no stepping on anyone's shoes...

Re: Mick Talor talks
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: March 11, 2015 21:10

You would think that the enthusiastic applause that greeted CYHMK in LA would have allayed Mick's fears about people getting bored or antsy. But apparently not.

Date: March 11, 2015 21:12

palerider22
DandelionPowderman
duke richardson

He got 20 minutes on stage every night as a special guest. They (Mick?) might have thought that the fans of the old line up would be happy with it.

Stones fans are hard to please. Many prefer the Brian and Ronnie eras, and Mick knows this very well, of course.

I'm pretty sure most wouldn't mind ditching any lengthy solos or mid-show spotlight on MT. Just have have on stage adding some juice to all the songs...That's a pretty good compromise, I think. Just ask him to be on stage and contribute...no fanfare...no stepping on anyone's shoes...

Most hardcores would like that. But in the arenas we are the minority. A huge part of the concert-goers couldn't name the Stones's drummer...

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 11, 2015 21:19

BV, please give Mick his "Y" back in the thread title!cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-11 21:19 by Woz.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 11, 2015 21:34

Woz

Better titled Mick Taylor Talk, instead of "talks" too. I doubt I'm the not the only one who thought he actually gave a new interview. Talk is plural enough to include the entire discussion.

peace

Date: March 11, 2015 21:35

Several threads merged = talks? winking smiley

Date: March 11, 2015 21:38

Naturalust
Woz

Better titled Mick Taylor Talk, instead of "talks" too. I doubt I'm the not the only one who thought he actually gave a new interview. Talk is plural enough to include the entire discussion.

peace

I wish he would give an interview. probably doesn't want to though..

or was told not to..

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 11, 2015 21:42

At the risk of continuing this distraction:

Does Mick Taylor WANT to play on every song???

Date: March 11, 2015 21:47

Kurt

good point... he probably wants a break from Midnight Rambler..

then he probably wants to play piano on Angie.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 11, 2015 22:10

Kurt

Maybe the question ought to be precised in the direction:
Does Mick Taylor want to be on stage during every song, not at all with a view to being the leading solo guitarist on every song, but only on a premeditated choice of a few songs and otherwise be a third guitarist in a more subordinate role, but adding to the band mosaic of guitars?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 11, 2015 22:51

I prefer Mick Talor over Ronnie Wod and Brian Jons. smoking smiley

Date: March 11, 2015 22:57

Koen
I prefer Mick Talor over Ronnie Wod and Brian Jons. smoking smiley

grinning smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 11, 2015 23:24

RollingFreak
DoomandGloom
But like I said, the Stones, for better or for worse, aren't really "nice" people. Not true, they may be business first but they are by far the nicest rock stars I ever knew. This Taylor thing is not about any of that it's just a decision many disagree with or aren't privy to understand.. Clearly The Glimmers have a different show in mind than Taylorites. Adding our voices is our only and best retort. As far as them being nice people, generous and trying to make a good memory for everyone they meet, they top my list.
Maybe they top your list, but they are not by any stretch of the imagination the nicest rock stars ever. I can only speak for myself, but Bruce Springsteen is one of the more down to earth rockers. Pearl Jam are insanely nice guys. Foo Fighters are very generous and play in people's garages. The guys in Led Zeppelin by all accounts are really nice people. Mick and Keith are not "bad" people, and of course they use their wealth and popularity for great things, big and small. But in terms of being in the music business, I don't know anything that points to them being "nice". Charging through the nose for tickets and being one of the leaders of that is just one example of them working the system. They do what they have to do, and thats fine, but I don't know if anyone sees them as "down to earth, nice" people. Personally, and its obviously just my opinion, but anyone thinking they are some of the nicest rock stars ever are kidding themselves.

They are not easy every day of the week and things can really be very difficult being in their entourage or working for them but in general I have to confirm what DoomandGloom says. Also lots of other people like fellow musicians confirmed me personally they are very nice to work with/for. And I don't just mean the people who work for them and are depending on them for years but (album & tour) guest musicians as well... Of course they can't be a filantropist on every financial aspect of the business but that's got nothing to do with them being really nice guys which they are.

Date: March 11, 2015 23:55

Witness
Kurt

Maybe the question ought to be precised in the direction:
Does Mick Taylor want to be on stage during every song, not at all with a view to being the leading solo guitarist on every song, but only on a premeditated choice of a few songs and otherwise be a third guitarist in a more subordinate role, but adding to the band mosaic of guitars?

I think he would be delighted to participate in the majority of the show. Not only does he still have something to say musically but he obviously loves the attention and adoration. His happiness on this last tour was obvious.

But, like others have said, I'm not convinced his style fits the Stones as well as it did in 1973, with Ronnie playing his own well rehearsed parts it would take a lot of work to fit him into the musical palette effectively. The whole 5 minute guitar solos thing just doesn't work like it used to and doesn't really represent Stones music these days. Like you suggest, if they could get him to actually play less but on a lot more songs I think the overall effect would be better.

But the Stones are treated as royalty on tour, every last thing taken care of with 5 star accommodations and perks galore. I suspect Mick has never experienced anything quite like it before and probably can't get enough. Playing only one or two songs and getting the same treatment probably certainly has it's advantages.

My wish would be to see MT on this tour but only on different songs and with a coordinated 3 guitar approach. I think the Stones have probably considered it and decided it would be too much work, take the spotlight off what is arguably Keith's last stand and that they won't repeat what they did the last tour, since they've already been their and done that. The days when they could just jam with confidence like when MT showed up in KC seem to be long gone and they rely more on rehearsed structure these days to pull off a good show.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 00:12 by Naturalust.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 12, 2015 00:19

Dreamer
RollingFreak
DoomandGloom
But like I said, the Stones, for better or for worse, aren't really "nice" people. Not true, they may be business first but they are by far the nicest rock stars I ever knew. This Taylor thing is not about any of that it's just a decision many disagree with or aren't privy to understand.. Clearly The Glimmers have a different show in mind than Taylorites. Adding our voices is our only and best retort. As far as them being nice people, generous and trying to make a good memory for everyone they meet, they top my list.
Maybe they top your list, but they are not by any stretch of the imagination the nicest rock stars ever. I can only speak for myself, but Bruce Springsteen is one of the more down to earth rockers. Pearl Jam are insanely nice guys. Foo Fighters are very generous and play in people's garages. The guys in Led Zeppelin by all accounts are really nice people. Mick and Keith are not "bad" people, and of course they use their wealth and popularity for great things, big and small. But in terms of being in the music business, I don't know anything that points to them being "nice". Charging through the nose for tickets and being one of the leaders of that is just one example of them working the system. They do what they have to do, and thats fine, but I don't know if anyone sees them as "down to earth, nice" people. Personally, and its obviously just my opinion, but anyone thinking they are some of the nicest rock stars ever are kidding themselves.

They are not easy every day of the week and things can really be very difficult being in their entourage or working for them but in general I have to confirm what DoomandGloom says. Also lots of other people like fellow musicians confirmed me personally they are very nice to work with/for. And I don't just mean the people who work for them and are depending on them for years but (album & tour) guest musicians as well... Of course they can't be a filantropist on every financial aspect of the business but that's got nothing to do with them being really nice guys which they are.
I was much more fearful around Bruce Springsteen than I ever was around Mick... The biggest problem with him was the E-Streeters who kissed ass to an extreme, he was used to that from everyone, simply you had to watch your back in Jungleland. I didn't know Pearl Jam or The Foos but they're hardly in the same category. Jimmy Page is by far the nicest of the big three guitarists from The Yarbirds. My tales of Led Zep are hard to believe or describe so I won't start with that now but I can tell you we all stayed away from Peter Grant whenever possible. If you're just sipping some coffee and some guitars are lying around you can always count on Ronnie to start up the jam or if they hear you playing in another room and you apologized Keith might say, "no, no that was good mate". They have the sense to know that your respect and love for them can be really crushed with a tough blow. On my first date with them I expected a rowdy crew but instead found them to run extremely calm sessions, almost meditative. They made me more elegant for sure..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 00:23 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2015 00:42

duke richardson
do we know for sure Taylor has not been invited?

From the horse's mouth :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 12, 2015 01:07

The above Mick Taylor page. That can't be him. Why would he talk so candidly.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 12, 2015 01:09

gotdablouse
duke richardson
do we know for sure Taylor has not been invited?

From the horse's mouth :

That was February 23 but there might have been a change in perspective...
smoking smiley

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Date: March 12, 2015 01:10

Probably not him answering personally.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2015 01:25

And you know that because ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 12, 2015 01:41

DandelionPowderman
Probably not him answering personally.
His people, we've heard stories about some of the negotiating. I wouldn't give them high grades for their results. If we remember before O2 it was Keith who was thought to be an issue. The speculation, Taylor could fill in if Keith couldn't finish or start a show. It went as far as assuming it was part on the elaborate insurance rider. Keith bless his pickled heart Keith fooled everyone and won over Jagger as he swaggered tall through their world tour. Mick was the one who ended up not answering the bell and Keith finished the tour singing 3 songs, a hero again, just as he planned it all. Still Taylor as the ultimate man in the dugout still holds. I think they'll ultimately take him along and drag him from green room to green room across America. They're a sentimental bunch, without Bobby around to make them feel skinny and fit they'll need their old whipping boy.

Date: March 12, 2015 01:52

gotdablouse
So Mick Taylor wakes up at 8AM, pops a beer and goes on Facebook to answer fans? All possible but it doesn't look right. If it were him staying up all night for example and then going on FBK he'd be more detailed and elaborate. The page posts pictures daily of the history of MT, I don't think he's scanning photos he found in a shoe box and writing catchy titles. His people are doing him a disservice posing as him, who do they think they are Ron Wood?

Date: March 12, 2015 02:18

DoomandGloom
gotdablouse
So Mick Taylor wakes up at 8AM, pops a beer and goes on Facebook to answer fans? All possible but it doesn't look right. If it were him staying up all night for example and then going on FBK he'd be more detailed and elaborate. The page posts pictures daily of the history of MT, I don't think he's scanning photos he found in a shoe box and writing catchy titles. His people are doing him a disservice posing as him, who do they think they are Ron Wood?

They're a sentimental bunch, without Bobby around to make them feel skinny and fit they'll need their old whipping boy.

lol. I also doubt very much that is Taylor responding on that FB page, I doubt he ever uses that rather worthless social media. Like most senior citizens he's probably challenged by his smart phone...I've certainly seen him challenged by his own effects pedals. No judgment, I consider myself a modern technical guy but I hate the whole follow us on FB, Twitter, et al. and most artists have staff to mind those stores and rarely if ever check in.

I'm sure there are exceptions. Mick probably checks with his staff frequently while Keith probably has Jane Rose and her staff deal with it all.

peace

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home