Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 12, 2015 06:16

Personally, I think, as long as there is not some "bad blood" between Mick Taylor
and the decision makers in the stones - Mick Taylor will be back for this Sticky
Fingers tour. The addition just seems so obvious and could certainly be accomplished without taking anything away from Ron. Hope this happens for Mick -
But either way this will be an exciting tour.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 12, 2015 07:20

Who knows what happened behind the scenes on the last tour? MT was obviously mis-used, but there were intriguing moments, like him playing and singing on Slipping Away. As has been said ad nauseam here, it makes no sense to have them play All Down The Line or Dead Flowers with him backstage. But what the Rolling Stones should do and what they will do are often two separate things. Without more information from the parties involved, or some official announcement one way or the other, it's pure speculation. Looks like he won't be asked back, given the current tea leaves we can read. I hope I'm wrong.

Re: How can Stones Play All of Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor?
Date: March 12, 2015 07:30

DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72
Yeah they sure have and pleez find any version over the last 40 years that is even close to the quality of what Mick Taylor put out from 69-73....

SFM from Stripped is my favourite live version. LIV from Live In Texas is another one. LWM from the 1995 single is probably the best they've ever done.

This is just from the top of my head. Oops! I forgot JJF from Live In Texas!

No, no, no, and...no. smoking smiley

Re: Mick Talor talks
Date: March 12, 2015 07:31

duke richardson
Kurt
At the risk of continuing this distraction:

Does Mick Taylor WANT to play on every song???

good point... he probably wants a break from Midnight Rambler..

then he probably wants to play piano on Angie.

...and overdub bass and drums if we believe Glyn Johns.

Date: March 12, 2015 09:02

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72
Yeah they sure have and pleez find any version over the last 40 years that is even close to the quality of what Mick Taylor put out from 69-73....

SFM from Stripped is my favourite live version. LIV from Live In Texas is another one. LWM from the 1995 single is probably the best they've ever done.

This is just from the top of my head. Oops! I forgot JJF from Live In Texas!

No, no, no, and...no. smoking smiley

You think I mis-remembered my favourite versions. smoking smiley

Date: March 12, 2015 09:04

gotdablouse
And you know that because ?

Let's say I recognise some linguistic things there smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2015 09:06

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

henceforth you shall be recognized as a cunning linguist.

Date: March 12, 2015 09:07

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
Probably not him answering personally.
His people, we've heard stories about some of the negotiating. I wouldn't give them high grades for their results. If we remember before O2 it was Keith who was thought to be an issue. The speculation, Taylor could fill in if Keith couldn't finish or start a show. It went as far as assuming it was part on the elaborate insurance rider. Keith bless his pickled heart Keith fooled everyone and won over Jagger as he swaggered tall through their world tour. Mick was the one who ended up not answering the bell and Keith finished the tour singing 3 songs, a hero again, just as he planned it all. Still Taylor as the ultimate man in the dugout still holds. I think they'll ultimately take him along and drag him from green room to green room across America. They're a sentimental bunch, without Bobby around to make them feel skinny and fit they'll need their old whipping boy.

I don't know where the filling in-theory came from, but it sure doesn't make any sense musically, does it?

"Hey Mick, Keith is ill. Play the IORR solo tonite? Play the five-stringer as well, mate!"

Nope...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2015 09:53

Well they did manage to do a full day of rehearsals without Keith and with Taylor last February...

@dreamer - that's a definite possibility, the edit on the FB page between the 14th and the 23th certainly seemed to indicate that some type of communication was ongoing.

It might not be Taylor actually typing the messages but there's no way they are being posted on that page without his authorization/input as there is a lot of insight on that page that I don't see anyone else having apart from him.

As far as I'm concerned I'm sticking to his "uninvited" status for now and will allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if the Glimmer Twins come to their senses for their "SF based Tour" (since they can't be bothered to come up with anything else) and end up of inviting him.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: March 12, 2015 11:46

It might not make sense musically but it might be enough to satisfy an insurance company ....

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 12, 2015 11:50

ronkeith72
How can Stones Play All of Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor?
I don't get it...Mick/Keith have Mick Taylor at their fingertips. They finally have a great chance to expand his role and they don't invite him on a tour that includes his best work. Nicely done Glimmer Twins...have some balls and explain to us fans why he's not invited!!!

I've been busy professionally lately and haven't popped by here, but have been champing at the bit, hoping to see this exact discussion (i.e., How can Stones Play All of Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor?) on iorr.

Sticky Fingers is not my favorite album (by a long shot) but it includes a bunch of my top 25 Stones songs on it--and I'm excited to see the Stones take a different approach (for them), in recreating an album in its entirety. However, it's cognitive dissonance inducing to imagine them not taking advantage of the fact that Mick Taylor is still alive and playing well, and folding him in as a regular part of this interesting "concept tour" being pulled together.

Perhaps, as said earlier in this odd thread (odd, because it seems like 4 different meals were started, and they were then all thrown into the same cast iron skillet), it's all economics? If so, that's distasteful to hear. It's weirdly insulting to, on one hand, try to appeal to people's loyalty, warm memories, and diehard fandom by creating a performance package of doing an album from alpha-->omega and then, on the other hand, if they were, in fact being so crassly pragmatic about their profit margin.

Sticky Fingers doesn't have that many songs on it. I presumed, naturally, that Mick Taylor would be front and center (ok, maybe not literally, but...). But if they're not going to be performing 19 songs or whatever they did last tour, and yet will be charging the same amount for tickets, wouldn't tossing in Mick Taylor be the least that could be done better to ensure delivering reasonable ROI? (to match crassness with crassness)

I like Mick Taylor, but I'm not enough of a musician, maybe, to say he "makes" the Stones for me. But I deeply appreciate what he adds--i.e., not only complements the usual Stones' fare, but enhances and elevates it. This is what he's always done. But as I say, even while he is not the most central part of my Stones experience---it especially surprises me how discomforted I feel having heard he may not be playing.

I went from being SO excited the past couple of days---when I'd pop my head up from work, telling people, encouraging friends around the country to go when the Stones come to their part of the country, listening to Sticky Fingers, posting stuff on FB---to now feeling sort of ever-so-slightly soured? I was champing at the bit to go to as many shows as possible. Now, I'm not quite so sure. Hearing the Stones play Sticky Fingers is pretty cool. Witnessing the Stones perform Sticky Fingers with Mick Taylor is epic...historic. So, now I will try to catch up on this back-reading, and get the whole scoop! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 11:52 by swiss.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 12, 2015 12:19

They used Taylor as special guest for an entire tour. It was fun while it lasted, the results where very mixed, and the Stones now move on to something new.

That's really all there is to it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 12, 2015 12:21

gotdablouse
Well they did manage to do a full day of rehearsals without Keith and with Taylor last February...

@dreamer - that's a definite possibility, the edit on the FB page between the 14th and the 23th certainly seemed to indicate that some type of communication was ongoing.

It might not be Taylor actually typing the messages but there's no way they are being posted on that page without his authorization/input as there is a lot of insight on that page that I don't see anyone else having apart from him.

As far as I'm concerned I'm sticking to his "uninvited" status for now and will allow myself to be pleasantly surprised if the Glimmer Twins come to their senses for their "SF based Tour" (since they can't be bothered to come up with anything else) and end up of inviting him.

Yes you describe that very well.
There wasn't any form of communication and he interpreted it the way he did but...his perspective changed.
I hope it will bring something nice!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 12, 2015 13:27

Dreamer
gotdablouse

Yes you describe that very well.
There wasn't any form of communication and he interpreted it the way he did but...his perspective changed.
I hope it will bring something nice!

Maybe they just have forgotten initially to tell him... if they just take his participation as granted and made a human mistake... And maybe that FB message was a kind of signal to their direction (which probably worked)... THe Stones are famous for a bad communication...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 13:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 12, 2015 13:41

Doxa
Maybe they just have forgotten initially to tell him... if they just take his participation as granted and made a human mistake... And maybe that FB message was a kind of signal to their direction (which probably worked)... THe Stones are famous for a bad communication...

- Doxa

Sounds possible for sure. As much as I'd love to play with the Stones, I would not like to have Mick & Keith as my bosses. It's definitely possible, but perhaps not probable, that they take Mick T's participation as granted, but if I was Mick T, I would sure not count on it, and I'm sure he doesn't either.

By the way, where does this idea of a Sticky Fingers tour come from? Any real outside source, or is it just something someone made up in their dreams?

Re: Ojoy - Sticky Fingers 'Why Mick Taylor Has To Stay"
Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 12, 2015 13:42

MisterDDDD
It's not that I don't "get" the sentiment and desire of wanting Taylor to continue on and play a more significant role..
It's just that I find it offensive and disrespectful to be "demanding" or to think that anyone could possibly have more insight into the situation than the band and the individuals. It also appears, MT may have personal issues, but who here would know anything about that possibility??

It's not punitive for chrissakes..

It's a band and/or business decision. And if anyone has EARNED the right to, without question,run the greatest rock and roll band that has ever, and will ever, live... it's Jagger/Richards/Watts/Wood.
Period.

Of course they don't have to take a blind bit of notice of anyone's opinion. They can do exactly what they want. Why should they listen to their loyal fans who have been buying tickets and supporting the band all along ?

But then they should really abolish the fan vote, too.
And just make it abundantly clear they don't care and are simply looking out for number one. It would be more honest.

As for the personal issues - it appears some in the band have suffered from Machiavellian tendencies for many years. Is there treatment available for this sort of thing ?

Date: March 12, 2015 13:57

duke richardson
then why did they invite him for the 2012-14 shows, at all?

RollingFreak
Because it was a 50th anniversary celebration and it was a gimmick that would get people to spend money on their tickets. If Bill Wyman would have done it, the Stones would have been even more thrilled. I think they thought of it as a good way to bury any hatchet that may still have been there from past decades and also a great way to market this tour as a "celebration" and "return" and "something new". That's why they used him to his most minimal degree. Cause it wasn't about him. It was about what he represented FOR THEIR GAIN.

This can't be the first time most people are realizing this, right? I hate to sound so negative with the posts, but this IS how the Stones operate.

I don't think you sound negative. Just realistic.
Especially the bit you mentioned about having Mick Taylor on board for their gain. - as a marketing ploy.

Re: Mick Talor talks
Date: March 12, 2015 14:17

Mel Belli
You would think that the enthusiastic applause that greeted CYHMK in LA would have allayed Mick's fears about people getting bored or antsy. But apparently not.

It's amazing to me how any band - especially the bandleader - could ignore such a passionate public vouch to let Mick Taylor do what he does best. Everyone in the audience in L.A. recognised and felt the importance of Taylor's participation that night.

I think the loud cheering was in approval of bringing Taylor out on that song but also served as a cry for more. Right in the heart of showbusiness people seemed to know who was the right man for the job when it comes to improving the Stones' performance.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 12, 2015 14:20

I don't understand why Taylor himself doesn't have an interview with some magazine and talks about his musical adventures during the last tour with the Stones. That would be quite normal adult human behaviour, no need to clash with the rest of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 14:21 by LuxuryStones.

Date: March 12, 2015 14:27

LuxuryStones
I don't understand why Taylor himself doesn't have an interview with some magazine and talks about his musical adventures during the last tour with the Stones. That would be quite normal adult human behaviour, no need to clash with the rest of the band.

You're assuming he was/is at liberty to do that.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 12, 2015 14:38

Chacal
LuxuryStones

You're assuming he was/is at liberty to do that.

I cannot speak for Taylor but it seems very normal to me to talk about music as a former band member. Every musician is allowed to that. He's not married with the Stones, doesn't have to tell everything, but just for the fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 14:47 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 12, 2015 14:59

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

henceforth you shall be recognized as a cunning linguist.

that is an accomplishment only gained after lots of practice...

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:17

You are soooo right. Why tease us with a concept album live and then go ahead and screw the fans to the tune of $250-600 ticket and not utilize Mick Taylor, the moat talented performer they have?

Date: March 12, 2015 15:17

Keep up the dirty talk, guys, but I'm not sure if this is the thread...

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:21

Knowing the Rolling Boners, they have Mick Taylor tied up legally and won't allow him to speak about it with the threat of taking future royalties away from him. They've done it before, why wouldn't they do it again? MICK/KEITH BRING MICK TAYLOR BACK, do STICKY FINGERS and then do EXILE. You want $500-600 Ticket from me, expand Mick Taylor's role and you got it. The Glimmer Twinkies understand $$$...well there it is!!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:23

A thrill of a Stones' lifetime to see Taylor back with the band for three songs in Philadelphia in 2013.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:29

ronkeith72
You are soooo right. Why tease us with a concept album live and then go ahead and screw the fans to the tune of $250-600 ticket and not utilize Mick Taylor, the moat talented performer they have?

Sorry, but Mick Taylor is NOT the most talented performer they have.
Not by a long shot.
He added a great touch of nostalgia and some extra punch during the last few years but he isn't necessary.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:33

Kurt
ronkeith72

Sorry, but Mick Taylor is NOT the most talented performer they have.
Not by a long shot.
He added a great touch of nostalgia and some extra punch during the last few years but he isn't necessary.

yeah but he sure sounds good with them.

makes one long for more..

I'm thinking 'Love In Vain' for the upcoming shows, with MT might be really special. in addition to the other ones he's (not) going to play on..

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:35

If they're going to be doing Sticky Fingers shows then it would make sense to have Taylor back. That section of the show will be an hour max probably so he wouldn't need to be on stage for all of it, if the others are that bothered by him being on stage for too long. That being said, they don't need Taylor to sell tickets and hell, Roger Waters toured two Floyd albums without any of the other members (barring Nick Mason guesting on some Dark Side shows and Gilmour guesting on Comfortably Numb in 2011).

It's a shame Taylor's role was never bigger, in the Fallon interview Keith did in 2013 he was saying how great it was to have 3 guitarists in the band. Wonder what happened. We'll see what happens. Hoping they come back to the UK this year preferably with MT.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:42

Seb91
If they're going to be doing Sticky Fingers shows then it would make sense to have Taylor back. That section of the show will be an hour max probably so he wouldn't need to be on stage for all of it, if the others are that bothered by him being on stage for too long. That being said, they don't need Taylor to sell tickets and hell, Roger Waters toured two Floyd albums without any of the other members (barring Nick Mason guesting on some Dark Side shows and Gilmour guesting on Comfortably Numb in 2011).

It's a shame Taylor's role was never bigger, in the Fallon interview Keith did in 2013 he was saying how great it was to have 3 guitarists in the band. Wonder what happened. We'll see what happens. Hoping they come back to the UK this year preferably with MT.

I think that is the great mystery...what indeed was up with that decision?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home