Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:44

The amount of wishful thinking is beginning to reach new proportions on this thread.
Could it be spring is in the air?

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 15:58

treaclefingers
Seb91
If they're going to be doing Sticky Fingers shows then it would make sense to have Taylor back. That section of the show will be an hour max probably so he wouldn't need to be on stage for all of it, if the others are that bothered by him being on stage for too long. That being said, they don't need Taylor to sell tickets and hell, Roger Waters toured two Floyd albums without any of the other members (barring Nick Mason guesting on some Dark Side shows and Gilmour guesting on Comfortably Numb in 2011).

It's a shame Taylor's role was never bigger, in the Fallon interview Keith did in 2013 he was saying how great it was to have 3 guitarists in the band. Wonder what happened. We'll see what happens. Hoping they come back to the UK this year preferably with MT.

I think that is the great mystery...what indeed was up with that decision?

The cynic in me says money is part of it - if he was on stage for most of (if not all) of the show then they'd have had to pay him more. There's also a practical element. In the interview Keith said that it would be great as the songs could be more like on the records as you have an extra guitar player to cover any extra guitar parts. The thing is that to have fully incorporated Taylor would have meant they'd have had to revise the arrangements of the songs that they've been playing that way for years. Perhaps it was just too much hassle for them.

Personally I would have been happier if CYHMN, Sway and Shine A Light were played every night in addition to Midnight Rambler. To take him around the globe to effectively play one song seemed a bit silly. Was also hoping he'd at least play o all the songs from his era.

Re: How can Stones Play All of Sticky Fingers without Mick Taylor?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 12, 2015 16:48

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72
Yeah they sure have and pleez find any version over the last 40 years that is even close to the quality of what Mick Taylor put out from 69-73....

SFM from Stripped is my favourite live version. LIV from Live In Texas is another one. LWM from the 1995 single is probably the best they've ever done.

This is just from the top of my head. Oops! I forgot JJF from Live In Texas!

No, no, no, and...no. smoking smiley

You think I mis-remembered my favourite versions. smoking smiley

No, I just think you are wrong about them being the best versions...but you knew that already. smoking smiley

Date: March 12, 2015 16:51

Kurt
ronkeith72
You are soooo right. Why tease us with a concept album live and then go ahead and screw the fans to the tune of $250-600 ticket and not utilize Mick Taylor, the moat talented performer they have?

Sorry, but Mick Taylor is NOT the most talented performer they have.
Not by a long shot.
He added a great touch of nostalgia and some extra punch during the last few years but he isn't necessary.

He is certainly necessary for Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2015 17:25

Seb91
treaclefingers
Seb91
If they're going to be doing Sticky Fingers shows then it would make sense to have Taylor back. That section of the show will be an hour max probably so he wouldn't need to be on stage for all of it, if the others are that bothered by him being on stage for too long. That being said, they don't need Taylor to sell tickets and hell, Roger Waters toured two Floyd albums without any of the other members (barring Nick Mason guesting on some Dark Side shows and Gilmour guesting on Comfortably Numb in 2011).

It's a shame Taylor's role was never bigger, in the Fallon interview Keith did in 2013 he was saying how great it was to have 3 guitarists in the band. Wonder what happened. We'll see what happens. Hoping they come back to the UK this year preferably with MT.

I think that is the great mystery...what indeed was up with that decision?

The cynic in me says money is part of it - if he was on stage for most of (if not all) of the show then they'd have had to pay him more. There's also a practical element. In the interview Keith said that it would be great as the songs could be more like on the records as you have an extra guitar player to cover any extra guitar parts. The thing is that to have fully incorporated Taylor would have meant they'd have had to revise the arrangements of the songs that they've been playing that way for years. Perhaps it was just too much hassle for them.

Personally I would have been happier if CYHMN, Sway and Shine A Light were played every night in addition to Midnight Rambler. To take him around the globe to effectively play one song seemed a bit silly. Was also hoping he'd at least play o all the songs from his era.

yeah I don't think it was the money. I doubt they'd be paying him 'per song'. The fact that he had to put his life on hold and travel with him...they had to pay for that.

BUT, I think you may be onto something with respect to the arrangements...hadn't considered that and maybe that actually would have been an issue, or at least required some work.

Date: March 12, 2015 17:42

I am no guitar player, so I cannot get into the technical aspect. But to my ears, he is the greatest guitar player ever, better than Clapton or Hendrix. For years now, when coming home late at night, I tell myself: "Time to enjoy some Mick Taylor with a glass of Isley". Same story with Entwistle: I keep listening to The Who records in order to enjoy his playing. I am therefore most grateful I had the opportunity to see him live in Madrid last Summer. By the way, who is the greatest Taylorian here? Dandelion Powderman?

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 12, 2015 18:10

KeylockSanchezandCo
By the way, who is the greatest Taylorian here?

That must definitely be Kleermaker (which means Taylor in Dutch).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 18:11

treaclefingers
yeah I don't think it was the money. I doubt they'd be paying him 'per song'. The fact that he had to put his life on hold and travel with him...they had to pay for that.

BUT, I think you may be onto something with respect to the arrangements...hadn't considered that and maybe that actually would have been an issue, or at least required some work.

True, I imagine he was paid handsomely as if he could have made more doing solo tours I doubt he would agreed to touring to have such a limited role. It's a shame he didn't get more of a spotlight. Back in 2012 when the rumours of Wyman and Taylor were doing the rounds I did dream of there being a three guitar lineup with Bill back on bass.

Yeah, I imagine it would have required a fair bit of work but at the end of the day they could have done it had they wanted to.

At the end of the day they don't need MT to shift tickets but if he were to appear at some 'Sticky Fingers' shows playing the record in full then that would clinch the deal for me. Him being back did make me cave and get tickets in 2013.

KeylockSanchezandCo
I am no guitar player, so I cannot get into the technical aspect. But to my ears, he is the greatest guitar player ever, better than Clapton or Hendrix. For years now, when coming home late at night, I tell myself: "Time to enjoy some Mick Taylor with a glass of Isley". Same story with Entwistle: I keep listening to The Who records in order to enjoy his playing. I am therefore most grateful I had the opportunity to see him live in Madrid last Summer. By the way, who is the greatest Taylorian here? Dandelion Powderman?

MT is criminally underrated. He was the first Stones member I saw live, when he was playing with John Mayall in 2004. Didn't really know much about the Stones back then I was only 12/13 and was only just starting to get into rock/blues. When I saw him do MR in Hyde Park my jaw dropped - such a great player. Also made me muse that if he hadn't have quit he'd probably be way up top in all these 'best ever guitarists' lists along with Page, Clapton etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-12 18:12 by Seb91.

Date: March 12, 2015 18:16

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72
Yeah they sure have and pleez find any version over the last 40 years that is even close to the quality of what Mick Taylor put out from 69-73....

SFM from Stripped is my favourite live version. LIV from Live In Texas is another one. LWM from the 1995 single is probably the best they've ever done.

No, I just think you are wrong about them being the best versions...but you knew that already. smoking smiley

I'm not wrong about what I think is best smoking smiley

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: March 12, 2015 19:07

When they say it's not about the money . It's about THE MONEY.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2015 19:28

And they have enough not to have to worry about it...besides having Taylor guest on the SF section (since someone was asking I think the "source" for that set is bv...reading between the lines winking smiley) is guaranteed to get the diehards splurging out for some tickets again. I remember seeing "I got the Blues" and "Moonlight Mile" in San Jose in 1999 and frankly they felt lacking, Taylor would undoubtedly be able to add some "sparkle"/"life" to them like he did on CYHMK.

Anyway it seemed Taylor thought he was "back" according to this (fabulous) piece by Sam Cutler : [www.iorr.org]

We wandered back to Charlie’s and lounged about whilst Charlie held his drum sticks and did some desultory warm ups. I stepped outside to chat quietly with Mick Taylor and the years rolled away. He wanted contact details and we exchanged E Mails and he told me how much it meant to him to be back in action and involved with The Stones.

...hence his disappointment at not being (initially ?) invited for the 2015 tour. Thing is even if they've now gotten round to doing it, it's unlikely/impossible he'd be breaking the news on his FB page, so we'll now have to wait for the official Stones' PR.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 12, 2015 19:46

Yes, Taylor's silence of recent may mean somthing is in the works for his
participation. The stones should break the news and not Taylor. Because of
this I'm sure he would wait for an anouncement from the band.

Does anyone know what Mick Taylor is doing these days? I assume he is back
In the UK.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 12, 2015 20:28

swimtothemoon

In the UK.

Yes, I'm hoping he's holed up in his house or Ronnie's, relearning the intricacies of all the SF tunes so he can really contribute when he gets the call to perform them with the Stones. As much as people may think he's good enough to wing it I think some solid work and rehearsal with Ronnie Wood could produce amazing results. He can't just do what he used to since Ronnie has developed his parts for all those tunes.

The though of Taylor and Ronnie trading licks, fills and rhythms behind Keith's defining guitar excites me much more than the thought of Taylor soloing over Ronnie and Keith's playing. Work between Ronnie and Taylor could take the risk of having Taylor play this summer out of the equation and give the music a real exciting new edge. Without such work, I think the possibility of Taylor for an extended set is pretty low.

peace

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 12, 2015 20:36

The most alluring aspect of a new tour would be fully integrating Taylor into the mix on the songs from Sticky Fingers. That would be completely captivating - to exclude Taylor because "he's not in the band - just a guest on the last tour" is utter nonsense.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: March 12, 2015 21:15

Naturalust
swimtothemoon

In the UK.

Yes, I'm hoping he's holed up in his house or Ronnie's, relearning the intricacies of all the SF tunes so he can really contribute when he gets the call to perform them with the Stones. As much as people may think he's good enough to wing it I think some solid work and rehearsal with Ronnie Wood could produce amazing results. He can't just do what he used to since Ronnie has developed his parts for all those tunes.

The though of Taylor and Ronnie trading licks, fills and rhythms behind Keith's defining guitar excites me much more than the thought of Taylor soloing over Ronnie and Keith's playing. Work between Ronnie and Taylor could take the risk of having Taylor play this summer out of the equation and give the music a real exciting new edge. Without such work, I think the possibility of Taylor for an extended set is pretty low.

peace

This unfortunately is not the case!
I sure do wish it were!!!!
They need to include him!!!!
How can they think of playing SF in it's entirety and exclude him.
It is not like they have not had any contact or dealings with him for 30 years!!!!

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: March 12, 2015 21:15

KeylockSanchezandCo
I am no guitar player, so I cannot get into the technical aspect. But to my ears, he is the greatest guitar player ever, better than Clapton or Hendrix. For years now, when coming home late at night, I tell myself: "Time to enjoy some Mick Taylor with a glass of Isley".

You're not alone; the "technical aspect" of which you speak is far beyond the reach of many guitar players as well. As an example, go to page 3 of this thread - the 2nd 'Tayor in Ochten video' - and listen from 0:40 to 1:00 - especially the section from 0:42 to 0:44. It is very doubtful that, say, a Brent Mason or Gary Clark, would be able to understand what Mick Taylor was thinking there. You're right about one thing though; the more Isley you drink, the better it sounds.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 12, 2015 21:34

71Tele

That's a point Jagger would discuss :

- BS : played with Ron Wood since 1975
- Sway : played with Ron Wood since 2005
- Horses : played with Ron Wood since 1975
- Knocking : played with Ron Wood since 2002
- Gotta Move : played with Ron Wood in 1975
- Bitch : played with Ron Wood since 1989
- Got The BLues : played with Ron Wood in 1999
- Morphine : played with Ron Wood in 1997
- Flowers : played with Ron Wood since 1989
- Moonlight Mile : played with Ron Wood in 1999

So from Jagger's pov they can handle playing SF without Taylor.
Of course for us IORR people this is heresy... grinning smiley

Date: March 12, 2015 21:43

TonyMo
KeylockSanchezandCo
I am no guitar player, so I cannot get into the technical aspect. But to my ears, he is the greatest guitar player ever, better than Clapton or Hendrix. For years now, when coming home late at night, I tell myself: "Time to enjoy some Mick Taylor with a glass of Isley".

You're not alone; the "technical aspect" of which you speak is far beyond the reach of many guitar players as well. As an example, go to page 3 of this thread - the 2nd 'Tayor in Ochten video' - and listen from 0:40 to 1:00 - especially the section from 0:42 to 0:44. It is very doubtful that, say, a Brent Mason or Gary Clark, would be able to understand what Mick Taylor was thinking there. You're right about one thing though; the more Isley you drink, the better it sounds.

I think you must be joking here. 0:42 to 0:44 sound like a mistake to me and his running up that scale with bass/harmony note thrown in is obviously not technically proficient or difficult to understand. As much as I love MT, Brent Mason could not only understand this, he could actually make it sound interesting and good.

peace

Date: March 12, 2015 21:51

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72

I'm not wrong about what I think is best smoking smiley

I know what you like. Can't argue about that. But I can argue about which are the best live versions.

Date: March 12, 2015 21:52

dcba
71Tele

Played with: Self-evident.
Played well with: Not so much.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 12, 2015 22:04

Wow. That means that they have played the whole album live by now, and even with Ron Wood! And "You Gotta Move" is the only number they haven't done during the modern (1989-) era (if memory serves). Pragmatically speaking, they couldn't have chosen a more suitable album...

Is this the only album they have played live every number it has? LET IT BLEED probably if "Country Honk" is interpreted as "Honky Tonk Women" or that little bit they once did of it. SOME GIRLS only misses perfection with "Lies". Probably their first album is pretty close, even though I don't have they ever played "Now I Get tHe Witness" or "Little By Little" ever live. The same goes with their second album and OUT OF OUR HEADS I guess (not so sure about their set lists back then) BEGGARS probably do rather well as well, EXILE has so many never played cuts, even quite many have been done. BLACK & BLUE has not many tracks, so I guess it does rather well, too. TATTOO YOU contains many performed songs (only not making it: "Slave" (!!!!), "Tops" and "No Use In Crying".)

Hmm.. perhaps we could do an treat of its own of these matters...

- Doxa

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: March 12, 2015 22:17

Hey, Doxa. I always enjoy your posts -- thank you for your insights.

I believe "Lies" was played in '78. Not in everyshow, but I think it was played a few times.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2015 22:18

71Tele
dcba
71Tele

Right, like I said I was in San Jose in 1999 when they played "I Got The Blues" and "Moonlight Mile" and...well other than the excitement of finally hearing them, they were rather boring renditions, besides most of the audience seemed to have never heard of these songs so that didn't help.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 12, 2015 22:44

The Sticky Fingers concept seems like a dull idea for playing stadiums. I'd have little problem enjoying it but for the rowdy stadium crowd slow songs about dope and people on dope and getting dope and running out of dope might be a touch boring. Without Taylor, why bother? SMU, IORR let's go..... Personally I'd rather hear some oldies that have lost rotation. "Under My Thumb." "Ruby Tuesday" "Star Star" "Let It Bleed" "Bye Bye Johnny" "Lady Jane" "Salt of The Earth". All songs almost everyone attending would know and well within Keith and Ron's comfort range. Sticky Fingers in stadiums across the US would have been great once but not a good choice now.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: March 12, 2015 23:39

TonyMo
KeylockSanchezandCo

I know you've been laying on the sarcasm awfully thick lately, but Brent Mason and Gary Clark? What made you pull that pair of names out of the hat?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 12, 2015 23:49

TonyMo
KeylockSanchezandCo

Listening to that "altered" stuff Taylor is playing there my guess would be that
his intake of Dutch beer was far beyond the reach of many guitar players.smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 13, 2015 00:14

TonyMo

Dude, you really need some new jokes

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 13, 2015 00:24

71Tele

+1. Obviously they *can* play the stuff without Taylor, it just doesn't sound very good when they do. I'll give them a pass on Brown Sugar and Bitch, to which Ronnie and Keith (respectively) still play some good stuff. The rest of the songs, no.

Date: March 13, 2015 01:20

DoomandGloom
The Sticky Fingers concept seems like a dull idea for playing stadiums. I'd have little problem enjoying it but for the rowdy stadium crowd slow songs about dope and people on dope and getting dope and running out of dope might be a touch boring. Without Taylor, why bother? SMU, IORR let's go..... Personally I'd rather hear some oldies that have lost rotation. "Under My Thumb." "Ruby Tuesday" "Star Star" "Let It Bleed" "Bye Bye Johnny" "Lady Jane" "Salt of The Earth". All songs almost everyone attending would know and well within Keith and Ron's comfort range. Sticky Fingers in stadiums across the US would have been great once but not a good choice now.

Actually the only one I think might not survive the tour would be Sister Morphine, all the others could worked in between more popular tunes or perhaps with a mellowed mini set. The songs are just all so good it's hard to imagine leaving them out. I would prefer any song on the record to Start Me Up, Miss You and even JJF for the umpteenth time.

peace

Date: March 13, 2015 07:36

Stoneburst
71Tele

+1. Obviously they *can* play the stuff without Taylor, it just doesn't sound very good when they do. I'll give them a pass on Brown Sugar and Bitch, to which Ronnie and Keith (respectively) still play some good stuff. The rest of the songs, no.

What's wrong with WH and DF?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1291
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home